Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

it was bumper to bumper on my cycle in around eightish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Some aul lad on the canal took exception to being overtaken by me, I caught up to him on Davitt Road and when I went to pass he put the hammer down and tried to squeeze me out. Anyway I pressed on and got by, he then tore across the Luas line at Suir Bridge, breaking the red and making a Luas blow it's horn. I went on green and duly caught up again and as I went to overtake he again put the hammer down. He's probably in work now with aches in his legs from his arseholery. Other than that my usual commute was grand, I was expecting it to be nuts given the bus strike and good weather
    "aches from his arseholery" love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Some aul lad on the canal took exception to being overtaken by me, I caught up to him on Davitt Road and when I went to pass he put the hammer down and tried to squeeze me out. Anyway I pressed on and got by, he then tore across the Luas line at Suir Bridge, breaking the red and making a Luas blow it's horn. I went on green and duly caught up again and as I went to overtake he again put the hammer down. He's probably in work now with aches in his legs from his arseholery. Other than that my usual commute was grand, I was expecting it to be nuts given the bus strike and good weather

Could have been worse, could have had a fag hanging off the bottom lip and you struggling to get past him, count your blessings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tried a bit of messing about on the dunes at Bull Island this afternoon. Great fun I must admit. Noticed a motocorss track just off the Alfie Byrne Road on the way back, I wonder if they ever allow bikes on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

P_1 wrote: »
    Tried a bit of messing about on the dunes at Bull Island this afternoon. Great fun I must admit. Noticed a motocorss track just off the Alfie Byrne Road on the way back, I wonder if they ever allow bikes on it...

Ive seen teenagers lifting their bikes across the gate to use it. No doubt without permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Deedsie wrote: »
    Saw what looked like 3 cyclist who crashed this morning at Fosters Ave/N11 junction.

Cycling through Donnybrook I saw a woman cycling across the Donnybrook Rd... she was cycling a cargo bike with two kids in the front and a dog tied to the saddle. Around 08:00 in unbelievably heavy traffic.

The dog look worried.

The dog was trotting along beside the bike? Or in the cargo box?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

I had a nice bit of slap and tickle with a VW passsat in Santry.. few scuffs and a bit of road rash but it could have been a lot worse if he didn't stop driving over my foot. it did take several punches to the door to stop him though :S

Has anyone else noticed how irrational drivers become when the buses/luas strike. its been well over a year since i had a close call and I've had one yesterday and then the collision today.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Lots of people on bikes commuting in Dublin this morning.
    And empty bus lanes make a good difference.

Maybe it will open the eyes for some because a bicycle is a great form of city transport; independent, efficient, clean, healthy and economical.
    And more cyclists should eventually translate in improved cycling facilities.
    Hope our minister of transport will do the right thing, better late than never.

Trotting along beside/behind... I'm sure it would be grand in a offroad greenway type cycle lane. But this was extremely heavy commuter traffic. It just seemed like an inappropriate way to get around this morning. The bike would be fine but lashing a dog to the back of it is a bit cruel. The dog must have been petrified

Poor dog! I notice lots of "exercise your dog on the bike" internet sites now; a few years ago vets were warning that this could put a strain on a dog's heart and shouldn't ever be done.

I can't see anything happening under Minister Ross. Unless Enda does a Ministerial shake up so a Fine Gael TD becomes Minister for Transport. I wouldn't be expecting any major infrastructure announcements.

Cycling infrastructure seems to be bottom of the heap now. It's a shame because it could massively improve people's quality of life, health, financial situation etc etc

Yes +1,000n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bloody head wind, defeated the advantage of having clear bus lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Achieved what was only a fantasy only 2/3 years ago - moved from the couch to the 22km avg group through the 25km avg group and last night held on and did 30km avg over a 40km route (admittedly it was a very flat route :D ). I feel like I've made it - except I'm still so crap on hills

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cant sweep this one away...nearly everyday on brewery road. Options are either go left and risk hitting lady with a baby or go right and into traffic. There is plenty of parking off a side road 100m away. The arrogance of if all!

397100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Cant sweep this one away...nearly everyday on brewery road. Options are either go left and risk hitting lady with a baby or go right and into traffic. There is plenty of parking off a side road 100m away. The arrogance of if all!

397100.jpg
    That's one for Garda traffic twitter

Did you look up the licence plate number?

ted1 wrote: »

I've tweeted them. They seem to remain quiet on things unless they're cracking jokes...I emailed Blackrock Garda station with the photo, although they may say it falls under Cabinteely, who may say it falls under another jurisdiction.

My faith in the Gardai is waning slightly, except for the hero who was out on the rock road on Saturday AND Sunday mornings, with a speed camera. First one I've seen in months, wanted to stop and shake his hand! That road badly needs a regular presence.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Did you look up the licence plate number?

Nope. But I sent it onto the Gardai as well. I'm guessing it's a Ford Transit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Still feeling the chill from that wind this morning.

Howth summit carpark was like feckin' Westeros

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Went out for a spin from Dundrum via Enniskerry - Glencree - Featherbeds - Glencullen - Kiltiernan and loop back.

Unfortunately on the descent down Ballybetagh Road at about 65kmh my front tube exploded like a gunshot, just as I was about to brake approaching a corner...with a car coming the other way. Blowout knocked me towards the oncoming car, so (surprisingly calmly!) while skating on my aluminium rim, I focussed on getting myself gently lined clear of the car, then started thinking about attempting not to eat concrete. Unfortunately as soon as I gently applied the brakes, the bike disappeared from under me. I skidded along the road first on my right side, then spun over onto my left with the speed/friction of the road. Bike bounced up and collided with the front of the car that'd slammed on its brakes. No damage to oncoming car (driver must have been in his mid 20s, eyes like dinner plates) which I missed myself by only about a metre.

Amazing woman came running out of her house after hearing the bang of the blowout (apparently she thought it'd been a gunshot!), invited me into her home, made me tea, gave me dettol and wipes and even cut up an old bath towel to wrap around my elbows. Lovely, lovely woman. She told me how her father had once had a spill outside someone's house in Howth and how they'd been incredibly kind. Said she'd always wanted to pass on that kindness. (Throwback to what some of us had discussed in the 'Turning People Against Us' thread!) Will definitely be sending her flowers.

The bike got away incredibly lightly. Not even a scratch to carbon frame, superficial damage to brake hoods, no damage to chainset...but the saddle was snapped in half lengthways! Couldn't believe it.

Most importantly, my helmet - after what is now my third or fourth crash wearing it - still doesn't have a scratch on it. I can say with confidence that without my lucky helmet I'd certainly not be around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Most importantly, my helmet - after what is now my third or fourth crash wearing it - still doesn't have a scratch on it. I can say with confidence that without my lucky helmet I'd certainly not be around today.

Happy you got lucky!
    Question about your helmet, no scratch means you did not hit a thing all those times? So you could do without (joke) ?
    On a more serious note! Proper falling is an art in itself and a skill that can be learned.

• Advertisement

Went out for a spin from Dundrum via Enniskerry - Glencree - Featherbeds - Glencullen - Kiltiernan and loop back.

Unfortunately on the descent down Ballybetagh Road at about 65kmh my front tube exploded like a gunshot, just as I was about to brake approaching a corner...with a car coming the other way. Blowout knocked me towards the oncoming car, so (surprisingly calmly!) while skating on my aluminium rim, I focussed on getting myself gently lined clear of the car, then started thinking about attempting not to eat concrete. Unfortunately as soon as I gently applied the brakes, the bike disappeared from under me. I skidded along the road first on my right side, then spun over onto my left with the speed/friction of the road. Bike bounced up and collided with the front of the car that'd slammed on its brakes. No damage to oncoming car (driver must have been in his mid 20s, eyes like dinner plates) which I missed myself by only about a metre.

Amazing woman came running out of her house after hearing the bang of the blowout (apparently she thought it'd been a gunshot!), invited me into her home, made me tea, gave me dettol and wipes and even cut up an old bath towel to wrap around my elbows. Lovely, lovely woman. She told me how her father had once had a spill outside someone's house in Howth and how they'd been incredibly kind. Said she'd always wanted to pass on that kindness. (Throwback to what some of us had discussed in the 'Turning People Against Us' thread!) Will definitely be sending her flowers.

The bike got away incredibly lightly. Not even a scratch to carbon frame, superficial damage to brake hoods, no damage to chainset...but the saddle was snapped in half lengthways! Couldn't believe it.

Blowouts on descents like that are very bad luck.

Good to hear you are mostly ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Unfortunately on the descent down Ballybetagh Road at about 65kmh my front tube exploded like a gunshot, just as I was about to brake approaching a corner...with a car coming the other way.

<SNIP>

Glad to hear you got out alive!!!

Any idea what happened? Did you hit something on the road or have your tyres / tubes seen a lot of life, punctures, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

V-man wrote: »
    Happy you got lucky!
    Question about your helmet, no scratch means you did not hit a thing all those times? So you could do without (joke) ?
    On a more serious note! Proper falling is an art in itself and a skill that can be learned.

Thanks for all the sympathy!

No - I seem to have an ability to ninja slide without my head ever touching the ground. I always have a laugh about how it's never been called into action, but then even if there's a minor chance it'll help - it doesn't bother me to wear it. Nurse in A&E asks "Were you wearing your helmet?!"
    Me: Of course!
    Nurse: Ok good, so you don't have a head injury then.

The worrying thing is I have no idea why it happened. Trying not to let myself dwell on it, but it seems it's probably just down to a faulty tube. The tyres I have on are only a few hundred kms old and don't have a mark on them.

Will be getting back on the bike in the coming week before The Dread has time to set in!

I noticed today that there were more unmannerly and less skilled drivers out than usual. Nearly got whiplash by coming down hard on a heel to avoid going into the back of a car that stopped suddenly in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Thanks for all the sympathy!

<SNIP>

The worrying thing is I have no idea why it happened. Trying not to let myself dwell on it, but it seems it's probably just down to a faulty tube. The tyres I have on are only a few hundred kms old and don't have a mark on them.

Will be getting back on the bike in the coming week before The Dread has time to set in!

I had a puncture myself recently (post) and like you I'm not too sure what caused it. It was on the back wheel on a 1 month old Continental GP4000SII tyre with a Continental inner tube.

Unlike you, I didn't have a blow-out but it went from 100 to 0PSI in less than 5 seconds. When I went to fix it, I could see no trace of damage to the tyre but could see a hole in the tube - on the side. There was no hole or mark on the tyre sidewall, nor was there any debris on the wheel rim.

I suspect this was a tube failure. If this happened coming down some of the hills I frequent in Wicklow, < 5 seconds doesn't leave enough time to get stopped :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Spin around the local area this afternoon to erase the stress of the working week and decided to go up Tickincor for my pain... Took over a min off my PB and a near 2min improvement since i first went up it early this year, happy days....

Now to set the alarm for a 100km Sunrise spin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lucky enough to be able to get a short trip to the Alps in, arrived Wed evening and collected the bikes the next morning before heading up to the Glandon/Croix de Fer then back down and home via Villard Reculas and Huez before dropping a few bends back down to where we are staying at bend 12.

https://www.strava.com/activities/713282215

Yesterdays spin was a bit of a bonus, the forecast gave heavy rain but it never arrived and we got to take the Balcony road up over Bourg and around to the Col de Saronne before dropping back into the ski station. We headed off up to the lakes after lunch but met the rain so turned and headed for home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/714252064

Currently pissing rain here and cold so todays spin may just be the 21 bends of the Alpe but we'll see after breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

ted1 wrote: »

They don't take any action on stuff like this. You need to call the local station, or if you're in the city, call out the clampers. The DLR traffic wardens will come out to any area with metered parking and give a ticket, but that wouldn't apply here.

It is all too common around building sites. At the site on the corner of Stephen's Green / Earlsfort Terrace, the builders had made themselves a nice parking area with a few cones thrown out on to the Green. We need to report this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    Spin around the local area this afternoon to erase the stress of the working week and decided to go up Tickincor for my pain... Took over a min off my PB and a near 2min improvement since i first went up it early this year, happy days....

Now to set the alarm for a 100km Sunrise spin...

Smae route more or less as last Saturday, solo again. Beautiful morning again.

102km at 31.7 avg with 850m of up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just back from the DAA charity cycle 82km Avg 30.5 kph, delighted with that . Was in the second group up to a food stop at 55km, my Avg at that stage was 28.8 kph.The first group headed back out and I decided to follow them, but they were about 400 meters up the road. Over the last 27 km I could always see them, I was solo at this stage. I unfortunately missed a left turn for Bracetown , well Brace something, I came around a bend on to a straight road., the group ahead were nowhere to be seen. Realised then that I should have taken the left:(.anyways I more or less put the boot down to try and catch them, didn't, but managed to increase my Avg to 30.5 kph for my efforts. Finished in 12th place , I know it wasn't a race..but chuffed with my Avg.
    Lovely morning too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement