Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

neris wrote: »
    Going down hill at 40km with 2 hands on the bars and trying to blow your nose is not a good idea
    not enough detail. are you saying you need to go faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

neris wrote: »
    Going down hill at 40km with 2 hands on the bars and trying to blow your nose is not a good idea

Guess the glasses needed cleaning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Three effen punctures in 10 km.
    1 Glass.
    2 I didn't think of looking for any foreign object
    3 I couldn't pry it all out.

sad face

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time the leggings have come out since the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Lovely autumnal spin with Gorey club this morning,in from ballycanew to Gorey to meet up, headed across to ballymoney and around coast road to Arklow Rock, thru Arklow heading for Brittas but hooked a left turn across to Avoca , woodenbridge, Arklow and back for a coffee in Gorey, finished up in Ballycanew.
    87 km , avg 28.3kph ,700 + meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

First road spin in too long. 75km from Arklow to ashford to rathdrum, ballinclash, aughrim, wooden bridge, new line and home.

Legs complained at 40km, really struggled as the pace increased heading into rathdrum and up the drags towards aughrim.

Nothing left in the legs on the new line but the lungs were fine, completely different bits of muscle compared to mtb\spin.

800m, 26kmph and banjaxed. Did a load of gardening feeling grim but 4 pints watching the footie and I felt much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

92km, late starting so went hunting to see if i could find/catch the club, fairly wrecked by time I did and suffered for the day.

Some new roads to get to Christ the King, couple new climbs on the way.

i was convinced i'd picked up a puncture on the way home earlier, audible hissing from the front wheel as i cycled along griffith avenue, but when i stopped i couldn't hear it. and it started up again when i started cycling again. as it turned out, it was a leaf caught between the mudguard and the front tyre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely lunch time spin up Cruagh, Foxes, Kilternan and back down in crisp sunshine and light breezes for 24k and 400m of up. Heavens opened five minutes from getting in. Result!

As a side note, loving the DHB Aeron winter bibs. Don't know what possessed me to stay with non-bib shorts for so long, way comfier.

4hrs after the rugby in glorious but crisp winter sunshine. This time of year is stunning & love getting the endurance kms in when dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

i was convinced i'd picked up a puncture on the way home earlier, audible hissing from the front wheel as i cycled along griffith avenue, but when i stopped i couldn't hear it. and it started up again when i started cycling again. as it turned out, it was a leaf caught between the mudguard and the front tyre.

At least it wasn’t a snake !

dahat wrote: »
    4hrs after the rugby in glorious but crisp winter sunshine. This time of year is stunning & love getting the endurance kms in when dry.

Did a couple of hours myself. Quite enjoyed the climbing for a change but the descent from the Military road back to Enniskerry felt bitter. New winter gear being in the wash didn't help, need to get a second set.

smacl wrote: »
    Did a couple of hours myself. Quite enjoyed the climbing for a change but the descent from the Military road back to Enniskerry felt bitter. New winter gear being in the wash didn't help, need to get a second set.

Finshed my session with a 10min descent so I felt that chill as well, better planning next time to avoid a descent finish.

I've not got a pair of winter tights yet so it's summer shorts & leggings for me, chilly but okay for now. Overspending on winter gear is something I've tried not to do over the years but that may change this winter with a busy winter programme of Sat & Sunday road spins ahead.

a bit over 80km this morning, cold and clear and a bit breezy.
    i set strava on my phone to record as well as using my cheapo garmin, because i forgot to charge it, but it lasted the course. it told me i did 81.7km, but my phone had calculated 83.7km. that's quite a significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

15 or so km into a leisurely spin stopped at lights went to pull off and a big clunking noise come from the bike with every pedal rotation. Nursed the bike 10km home listening to clunk clunk clunk the whole way. Rekon bottom brackets gone, checked the frame, the wheels, the discs but they all seemed fine

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

73km today. Only started cycling 5 weeks ago and this is my 6th outing. 14 mins quicker getting up to top of howth since my 1st time 5 weeks ago.

Clocked another 100km today in more glorious winter weather, one or two little digs as per usual club spin but thoroughly enjoyable day.

As Mrs Dahat is away in London I may just do another 50-60km tmrw early doors to complete a decent weekend on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

dahat wrote: »
    Clocked another 100km today in more glorious winter weather, one or two little digs as per usual club spin but thoroughly enjoyable day.

As Mrs Dahat is away in London I may just do another 50-60km tmrw early doors to complete a decent weekend on the bike.

My other half is working all weekend so today was watching the marathon then local County final and then a cycle lol.

Just realised I've passed my 10,000kms goal for the year this weekend,happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tailwinds do exist, flew home today from work and smashed a few PR’s along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

All going well today despite the gusts, pretty severe in the Phoenix Park at times. I was on the fourth lap of a planned route , feeling like extending the spin, turned left off the Navan road onto Auburn Ave when the bike slid slightly. Got about another 220m further til I realised I had a flat. Managed to pump it a couple of times which got me home. Drat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Do any of you retire your road bike for the winter months and switch to a hybrid for safety reasons > wider tyres more grip

or am i the only sap that does it?

nope, apart from my (completely underused) mountain bike, the widest tyres i use are still 25mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

fryup wrote: »
    Do any of you retire your road bike for the winter months and switch to a hybrid for safety reasons > wider tyres more grip

I do, principally due to the fact that it has got wider tyres and mudguards as well. That said, I use it on a reasonably regular basis throughout the year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Nah i just put summer road bikes away and take out the winter road bikes...simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

fryup wrote: »

I clean the good bike and put it up in the shed and look forward to nice (dry) days over the winter when I'll take it out for a spin the odd time. I'll be on the winter hack (with mudguards and lights) all the rest of the winter, and on my commute. Winter road bike has same width tyres as the good bike - 25mm's

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just did a short 25km spin today, again I got my ass off the couch, it started bucketing down within the first kilometre, still, it is winter.

One thing, are disc brakes always squeaky when cycling in the wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Just did a short 25km spin today, again I got my ass off the couch, it started bucketing down within the first kilometre, still, it is winter.

One thing, are disc brakes always squeaky when cycling in the wet?

Yes, yes they are. In my experience anyway.

I did a 65 km hop over the Sally gap to Roundwood and back by Enniskerry. I appear to be getting slower as every other cyclist I encountered passed me. Not worried about that though tbh. I do enjoy these late year spins, despite the rain in the last hour of the ride.

Highlight was actually riding my road bike through the dirt road that leads through Massey's Wood and takes you from Cruagh lane to Stocking Lane. It really feels like you're getting away with something by riding it on 25 mm tyres!

LennoxR wrote: »
    I appear to be getting slower as every other cyclist I encountered passed me. Not worried about that though tbh. I do enjoy these late year spins, despite the rain in the last hour of the ride.

Same! 45k today up Cruagh, down by Crone, into Onagh / Knockree and back via Enniskerry (wimped out of the Devil's Elbow at the last minute). Every other cyclist seemed to be passing me.
    Highlight was actually riding my road bike through the dirt road that leads through Massey's Wood and takes you from Cruagh lane to Stocking Lane. It really feels like you're getting away with something by riding it on 25 mm tyres!

Bit mucky at the moment but really stunning colours, fair play taking it on of 25s. Do it on 32s on the CX myself if it is dry or knobblies on the hack if it has been raining, usually at least once or twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got 67 km done today, very slowly. Took out the Croix de fer for the first time in ages expecting to find spot floods and muck and I did.

Front disc kept rubbing and I could't get it right. Eventually stopped at parents (just as food was being removed from oven, great timing). Realligned the caliper and all was good to go again.

Good bike is well and truly retired for a few months now. Some roads less travelled on the other bikes for a while.

Accidentally saved the ride midway, first one ended up looking like a German Shepherd

https://www.strava.com/activities/2838665509

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement