Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

more like a surprised pig, i'd have said?

Looks like Anubis !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got 64 km done today in tough conditions, k ocked 30 km of planned route. Still bloody cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not long in from my commute home and took a longer route in spite of the rain. I think I only saw 4 cars on my 32km route

Rode into town this morning between showers and went about my business blissfully unaware I'd torn the arse out of the water proof pants I'd on :o

Felt a bit tight putting them on and put it down to the jeans I'd on under them so didn't give it another thought, turns out they were my partners ones and not mine. Whoops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Feckin transvestite cyclists in lycra holding up real commuters in their cars :angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Savage headwind coming home this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I only ever get punctures in the dark & wet evenings :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I only ever get punctures in the dark & wet evenings :(

(((((((sympathy)))))))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

40km today about half in the dry then it bucketed down. 50km yesterday so happy to be back out after a short break

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nursing a nagging head cold, did 74km today and it fair took it out of me. 74km out around NCD. i think my bike is cleaner than when i set out this morning, there were that many streams flowing out onto the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

101km today and it was so cold, threw on a ls base layer, winter club jacket and gilet and a Castelli pocket liner. Windproof bottoms with Spatzwear Legalz (a godsend)

42km before our club spin then the rest with the gang

https://strava.app.link/sC3Ocriuv1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Today's lesson: when its a dry windless morning go out and don't wait till the evening. Lashing rain so ended up doing a 45 minute arse boring turbo in the shed. I hate turbos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Started out freezing cold, warmed up then hit a freezing foggy stretch before the sun finally came out. Made for a very cold day out but got my November 100km done so can relax for rest of month - trying for 12 x 100km grand fondos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Started out freezing cold, warmed up then hit a freezing foggy stretch before the sun finally came out. Made for a very cold day out but got my November 100km done so can relax for rest of month - trying for 12 x 100km grand fondos

This is something I think I'm going to try to do next year, in the absence of any other specific targets. Had started out in April of this year aiming for at least 1 x 100km per month for the rest of the year but the arrival of a baby who doesn't like to sleep quickly scuppered that plan after just 4 months!

Got out early yesterday morning for about 75k.

First cycle in six weeks - haven't even been on the turbo trainer - and my first ever in cold conditions, having started cycling on the road in April. Bought overshoes, a jacket and tights for the spin.

I was flying it six weeks ago - having done the very hilly 160k Tour De Beara in a 29k average - but yesterday it was like I was pulling a sack of spuds behind me.

Went at it at around 30kph for first 50k but started to feel the pinch and by about 65k I was really struggling and actually had to stop on a long drag about 10k from home. I was wiped.

In hindsight, I had a small breakfast and just a banana and a snickers on the bike and drank just one bottle of water and may well have boinked as it took me about an hour to recover after, and only after a huge feed and three cups of tea.

Anyone out there know if I would lose that much fitness in six weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Got out early yesterday morning for about 75k.

First cycle in six weeks - haven't even been on the turbo charger - and my first ever in cold conditions, having started cycling on the road in April. Bought overshoes, a jacket and tights for the spin.

I was flying it six weeks ago - having done the very hilly 160k Tour De Beara in a 29k average - but yesterday it was like I was pulling a sack of spuds behind me.

Went at it at around 30kph for first 50k but started to feel the pinch and by about 65k I was really struggling and actually had to stop on a long drag about 10k from home. I was wiped.

In hindsight, I had a small breakfast and just a banana and a snickers on the bike and drank just one bottle of water and may well have boinked as it took me about an hour to recover after, and only after a huge feed and three cups of tea.

Anyone out there know if I would lose that much fitness in six weeks?

Someone told me before that for every week you don't exercise, it takes three weeks training to recover any lost fitness.*

*I think someone told me this in a pub. May not be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Someone told me before that for every week you don't exercise, it takes three weeks training to recover any lost fitness.*

*I think someone told me this in a pub. May not be reliable.

Certainly feels that way any time I've had a few weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

93 km in 3hrs 20ish with 650m of climbing.

Down to the meeting, across to glenmalure, rathdrum, roundwood, ashford, deputies pass then a blast on the old n11.

Lost my toes after 50km, worse was the gilet cutting the circulation to my left hand. The only downside to all the extra gym work i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Road works on my commute this morning. cranky drivers in long queues as a consequence. Reminded me once again how glad I am to be on 2 wheels rather than four.

Which was timely because this morning I also think I felt the first few bits of ice/sleet of the year melting on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

What is the story with road works signs being left in bike tracks? I've come across them a few times, both on bike tracks on footpaths and the ones that are just painted lines on the road (not in bus lanes).

Should they be there? It's pushing us out onto the road and is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Should they be there? It's pushing us out onto the road and is a pain in the ass.

Yeah..I see them a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Did 35mins on the turbo trainer last night. Pure sweat fest as id about 4 layers on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Gotta say, taxi drivers were noticably more cautious around me on my commute in this morning. It'll be a nice few weeks before it goes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Gotta say, taxi drivers were noticably more cautious around me on my commute in this morning. It'll be a nice few weeks before it goes back to normal.

Get yourself a new kit for when that happens :)

attachment_58559185

https://99designs.com.au/other-clothing-merchandise-design/contests/create-smile-re-camera-cycling-jersey-500683

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well that was a brutal commute home. I was ready enough for the rain, but the wind took me off-guard. Met was saying 16km/h at 4, I'd swear it was three fold that on the commute up to North Dublin. It's been a rough Autumn/winter so far...

Another turbo session tonight
    30 minute sweat fest as I wore a lot of layers again
    Check out my 0 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2862949537?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

Are you wearing layers because of the cold or because you want to sweat?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Another turbo session tonight
    30 minute sweat fest as I wore a lot of layers again
    Check out my 0 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2862949537?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

I've been at the turbo for a few weeks now, outdoors, jersey unzipped with a fan going at level 1 even in this cold. Only minimum layers required even this time of year.
    One thing though, once stopped have a long sleeve jersey there to cool down in to avoid getting the chills.

• Advertisement

Are you wearing layers because of the cold or because you want to sweat?

Wanted to sweat. Trying to lose weight and thought it might help?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement