Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

146km down to Athlone and 1000m+ of climbing. Saw a McClaren P1 on the way. Was going to stop but was getting a nice tow from a tractor.

Got a sun tan too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

godtabh wrote: »
    146km down to Athlone and 1000m+ of climbing. Saw a McClaren P1 on the way. Was going to stop but was getting a nice tow from a tractor.

Got a sun tan too

It would be more impressive if you were getting a tow from the P1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

secman wrote: »
    Just back from the DAA charity cycle 82km Avg 30.5 kph, delighted with that . Was in the second group up to a food stop at 55km, my Avg at that stage was 28.8 kph.The first group headed back out and I decided to follow them, but they were about 400 meters up the road. Over the last 27 km I could always see them, I was solo at this stage. I unfortunately missed a left turn for Bracetown , well Brace something, I came around a bend on to a straight road., the group ahead were nowhere to be seen. Realised then that I should have taken the left:(.anyways I more or less put the boot down to try and catch them, didn't, but managed to increase my Avg to 30.5 kph for my efforts. Finished in 12th place , I know it wasn't a race..but chuffed with my Avg.
    Lovely morning too.

Did this end at the Airport? I was cycling out to Garristown this afternoon and coming the other way were a lot of Movistar like jerseys that I'm sure said DAA on them.

Saw another charity cycle on my way back around the Airport 2 about an hour after.

Mine was merely 50 kms in a bit over 90 mins, from Santry to Garristown via the R130 and back via the R122. Stopped to give directions to someone and saw plenty of other cyclists out on their own or in pairs. Lovely day for it, though my legs were a while to get going and I may have imbibed too many beers in recent weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It would be more impressive if you were getting a tow from the P1.

It was parked. That was the right pace for me to have a decent look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

godtabh wrote: »
    It was parked. That was the right pace for me to have a decent look.

It's the only pace I'd get a look at it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did this end at the Airport? I was cycling out to Garristown this afternoon and coming the other way were a lot of Movistar like jerseys that I'm sure it said DAA

Yep started from and finished at Airport, Castlemoate house directly across the road from the coachman Inn . The Jersey does look like the movie star one. We did overlap with another cycle today, both set of directional arrows on road were identified by DAA and HC, it was the hospice cycle that other boardsies were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

Joe Loughlan sportive around Wicklow by Bray Wheelers. 141 total including the return cycle from Dublin- Bray. Good event, good route and PB on Shay Elliot S-N as a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

117kms on the Joe Loughman ride. Cycled from Greystones over to Bray to register and left pretty much straight away. Took a slight detour through Greystones again when I should have gone the back road but rejoined just before Kilcoole. Got in with a group of about 5 Orwell guys until Ashford when they stopped. I was pretty much on my own the rest of the way bar a few stragglers. Seriously bonked just before Shay Elliot (have to get the eating thing sorted out) but somehow managed a pb on it!?

Have to say I found the organisation very bad. There was two different lengths of route on the info page on their website, 96 and 105kms and 1300m climbing. I ended up with over 1600! Then there was the feed station. I heard it was in Laragh but when I got there a guy from Bray Wheelers themselves asked me if I knew where it was. We then asked someone in the hippie cafe, he didn't know either so mr Bray headed on. Then someone from Swords cc stopped to ask the same thing followed closely by someone else!! Three of us came to the conclusion that it must be in the Brocagh centre which was not on the route and not sign posted anywhere. Bizarre.

Anyway had a couple of bananas there and headed off again. When I got to the split in the road outside Roundwood i just headed straight and on for Greystones. First sportive where it actually felt like a solo spin!

https://www.strava.com/activities/716518398

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Did the Joe Loughman. It's a Randonnée so I wouldn't expect much in the way of organisation, the only thing I would mark them down for was the lack of info re: the food stop. Asked a passing Bray Wheeler who told us where it was.

Other than that it was great, very jealous of the Bray clubhouse. Having Shay Elliot's bike and jerseys is so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to killenagh, ballyedmund, boolavogue, Ferns and on into Camolin, Gorey, ballycanew, killenagh and home. 61km Avg 25.7 kph. Legs a bit heavy from yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Then someone from Swords cc stopped to ask the same thing...
    That was myself. :D

Ridiculous having a food stop 70k into a 100k route when most of the climbing was done. I asked 3 different Bray Wheelers members along the route and none of them knew of it's location.

That was myself. :D

Ridiculous having a food stop 70k into a 100k route when most of the climbing was done. I asked 3 different Bray Wheelers members along the route and none of them knew of it's location.

Ah! You know I was just thinking afterwards that it might have been you! Nice to "meet" you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Boyne Valley Classic. 130km a @22.9 kmh. Got soaked and added 10k thanks to being sent on the wrong way before the food stop. Aside from that a very well run event. I'm sure the scenery was lovely if the weather gods allowed me to see it

Btw I overheard someone at the foodstop today talking about a guy being hit by a car. Has anyone heard anything?

Ah! You know I was just thinking afterwards that it might have been you! Nice to "meet" you anyway!
    ...and you too!
    Btw I overheard someone at the foodstop today talking about a guy being hit by a car. Has anyone heard anything?
    Heard that myself but didn't hear any details other than that it was early on in the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

130km on the Joe Loughman today, cycled from Finglas to Bray Wheeler Clubhouse, signed on and straight on the 100km. I was in Group 2, there were about 20 of us, got talking to two lads one from Kimmage and a coach from the Sundrive Track Team. I didn't seem any food stops, they gave out bars at the sign on and there was plenty of grub when we came back alright.

Miklos wrote: »
    Did the Joe Loughman. It's a Randonnée so I wouldn't expect much in the way of organisation, the only thing I would mark them down for was the lack of info re: the food stop. Asked a passing Bray Wheeler who told us where it was.

Other than that it was great, very jealous of the Bray clubhouse. Having Shay Elliot's bike and jerseys is so cool!

What group were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

jaqian wrote: »
    What group were you in?

I was in an Orwell group, we set off about 8.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Came across a bad car crash between Newgrange and Donore today. Both bonnets were crumpled messes. Quite lucky no cyclists were caught up in it.

... I was in Group 2...
    I didn't hear any mention of specific groups. :confused: I just signed on and cycled off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

106km today at the skoda boyne classic. 27k average .it was a very wet day. Had planned on doing the longer route but wanted to get home in time for the gaa,so i cut it short .I think alot of others decided to do the same.spent the first half of the cycle trying to keep up with Stephen roche .had a cup of tea and Sandwich with him at the food stop.made it back just in time for the dubs game throw in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

nilhg wrote: »
    Lucky enough to be able to get a short trip to the Alps in, arrived Wed evening and collected the bikes the next morning before heading up to the Glandon/Croix de Fer then back down and home via Villard Reculas and Huez before dropping a few bends back down to where we are staying at bend 12.

https://www.strava.com/activities/713282215

Yesterdays spin was a bit of a bonus, the forecast gave heavy rain but it never arrived and we got to take the Balcony road up over Bourg and around to the Col de Saronne before dropping back into the ski station. We headed off up to the lakes after lunch but met the rain so turned and headed for home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/714252064

Currently pissing rain here and cold so todays spin may just be the 21 bends of the Alpe but we'll see after breakfast.

So the rain eased off a little so we got a little more ambitious and decided to take in the Col de Ornon as a warm up for our trip up Alpe itself, it's a nice climb, not as tough as some of the others that we'd done over the previous couple of days and as we went up conditions seemed to be improving and if anything I was too warm with the gear I had on but that changed when we turned to come back down into Bourg des Oiseans, the tem dropped and the rain started up again, not very heavy but enough for the road to be slippy and I was cold by the time we cot back to Bourg for coffee, having to mind the bikes meant we had to sit outside, one of the cafe's had patio heaters so it wasn't too bad but some of the lads must have looked bad enough cause the owner brought them out blankets.....

Onwards to the start of the Alpe climb and I stripped off some layers to what I thought would be a good balance between the temp starting off and what I might meet up top and it worked reasonably well at least until I got above Huez village and out a bit more into the wind, even with the effort I was putting in then it was chilly and got worse up to the TDF finish, and the rain started to come down as well, at the finish my garmin was reading 7C, I wasn't long layering up again to wait for the others to come up and I was quite happy to be able to give the bikes back to the hire shop up top and go across the road to the bar for soup, sambos and a pint, by the time we came out for our lift home it was 4.5c and starting to sleet, the first snow of the season fell up there last night.

The climb of the Alpe itself is tough but doable if you pace it ok, and while it's a must do for it's history it's not the most pleasurable experience, the road has quite a bit of traffic and the finish of the climb is not on top of anything, just outside a carpark on a nondescript road at the edge of the resort, we had done the Col de Sarenne the previous day and that's much better i thought.

https://www.strava.com/activities/715409880/overview

I didn't hear any mention of specific groups. :confused: I just signed on and cycled off.

There were signs up Group 1 avg speed 29kph and Group 2 27kph left at 9:20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Did the Peter McVerry Welcome Home cycle yesterday - from UCD in Dublin to just outside Wexford Town.

136 KMs @ 26 kmp/h. Spent most of the day solo so very happy with that.

And all for a very good cause - link

There were signs up Group 1 avg speed 29kph and Group 2 27kph left at 9:20
    Didn't see that. I was under the impression that they wanted people to leave gradually between 8.30 and 10.00. The link on the their site said it was a 'non mass start' event? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

route66 wrote: »
    Did the Peter McVerry Welcome Home cycle yesterday - from UCD in Dublin to just outside Wexford Town.

136 KMs @ 26 kmp/h. Spent most of the day solo so very happy with that.

And all for a very good cause - link

That link's not working, unfortunately. A big fan of McVerry's work and his country-doctor approach to it. Interviewed him years ago and thought him sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Did the boyne Valley classic.

Missed the right turn for stackallen as I was following guys up ahead of me. There was a marshal at the junction but said nothing to us. I did see the arrow that was stuck in the ditch on far right hand corner. Thought it was for the guys doing the longer distance.

Came onto slane to navan Road... All the guys were turning right. Followed them up the hill....Maybe about 10 guys ahead of me. Spoke to two guys, said they were doing the longer distance. Told them that should have turned right where the marshal was. So the three of us turned around.

I headed to towards slane. Spoke to another two guys heading the same direction. Again they said they were doing the longer distance. To them they had to go back.

I continued went through slane and onto Drogheda. Some Chap came up beside me...who obviously missed the turn as well and both of continued to Drogheda.

None of the guys had seen the arrow.

There must have 16 + guys who went by that marshal and nothing was said to us.

Always had it in my head that I was doing 88km. Estimated that by Drogheda I would hit 88km. So never thought anything of it. Got back to the finish bang on 12.

Didn't realise that I should have taken the right turn where the marshal was until my sister came home who was also doing the shorter distance.

Cycle from home and back added 12km. So at least I got in 100km.

Also missed the first food station at collon. Was with the main group with the lead car. Never saw a sign for that. The car did stop 2 km outside and were all told about the food stop. I didn't bother go back....just continued.

When I got my medal at the end I wasn't informed that there was food inside. Just took the medal and went home.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

micar wrote: »
    Did the boyne Valley classic.

Missed the right turn for stackallen as I was following guys up ahead of me. There was a marshal at the junction but said nothing to us. I did see the arrow that was stuck in the ditch on far right hand corner. Thought it was for the guys doing the longer distance.

Came onto slane to navan Road... All the guys were turning right. Followed them up the hill....Maybe about 10 guys ahead of me. Spoke to two guys, said they were doing the longer distance. Told them that should have turned right where the marshal was. So the three of us turned around.

I headed to towards slane. Spoke to another two guys heading the same direction. Again they said they were doing the longer distance. To them they had to go back.

I continued went through slane and onto Drogheda. Some Chap came up beside me...who obviously missed the turn as well and both of continued to Drogheda.

None of the guys had seen the arrow.

There must have 16 + guys who went by that marshal and nothing was said to us.

Always had it in my head that I was doing 88km. Estimated that by Drogheda I would hit 88km. So never thought anything of it. Got back to the finish bang on 12.

Didn't realise that I should have taken the right turn where the marshal was until my sister came home who was also doing the shorter distance.

Cycle from home and back added 12km. So at least I got in 100km.

Also missed the first food station at collon. Was with the main group with the lead car. Never saw a sign for that. The car did stop 2 km outside and were all told about the food stop. I didn't bother go back....just continued.

When I got my medal at the end I wasn't informed that there was food inside. Just took the medal and went home.

Rant over.

Arrows should be colour coded by kilometre length, and there should be a series of them with declining kms to when the turn happens. Food shoud be signaled with a big "FOOD!!!!" sign. Well done.

Didn't see that. I was under the impression that they wanted people to leave gradually between 8.30 and 10.00. The link on the their site said it was a 'non mass start' event? :confused:

True but also gives two different distances for same route lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Chuchote wrote: »
    That link's not working, unfortunately. A big fan of McVerry's work and his country-doctor approach to it. Interviewed him years ago and thought him sound.

Just dropped a load of grub off at one of his places tonight. As always the staff are so pleasant to deal with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement