Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up to Masseys. Long drag up the outer edge of the woods defeated me and I got off for the last steep 100m or so of tree roots and mud to find it was a dead end and that my descending skills also needs some serious work. Back wheel skidding all over the place at little more than a snails pace. Great spot though and plenty challenging for someone of my limited ability.

397409.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planned on heading out to Enniskerry at lunch but somewhere around Whitechurch the bike had other ideas and took me up Kilmashogue and into the woods instead. Great weather for a bit of a climb, though getting blowy enough further up. Recent work done on the front brake hasn't made as much difference as hoped, went way too wide on a hairpin on Ticknock and nearly ditched. Time to change the pads, getting due anyway.

397457.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

got out of work early today and arranged a spin with me usual cycling companion. planned going from around marley park out towards tallaght, climb up bohernabreena, featherbeds , down into glencree , devils elbow to johnny foxes and up over glencullen mountain and home.

not the best of evenings out there but plenty of climbing to keep us warm. to my surprise the only other person we saw up the mountains was nico roche in his sky gear with the irish flag colours on it heading back towards the featherbeds - got the friendly wave from him.

If anyone is going near the devils elbow be careful its being resurfaced at the moment and is completely covered in a thick layer of grit - thankfully we were climbing it as otherwise wed have been walking down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First commute to work tonight in the new job. Heavens opened after 10 minutes so I arrived soaked to the skin.
    My last job had showers and lots of locker space but this one is lacking so a quick wipe down with baby wipes and paper towels and I'm good (enough) to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Did a flat 140km out around Meath/Kildare, highlight of the spin being a 50c can of Coke from An Siopa Caislean in Trim! 50c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Miklos wrote: »
    Did a flat 140km out around Meath/Kildare, highlight of the spin being a 50c can of Coke from An Siopa Caislean in Trim! 50c!

You've posted this in the wrong thread mate, it should be in the bargains one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.strava.com/activities/722992524

First spin in 2 week, a 50k loop in 2 hrs from dublin to maynooth and back via celbridge and lucan. Weather wasnt as bad as forecast - it rained, but not that windy. Forgot how much i enjoy cycling in the rain when its not cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cycled in to the Repeal the 8th march. Watched the march pass at Parnell Square from the first to the last - 55 minutes altogether. Wheeled the bike with the march at the end. At Merrion Square, crossed through the square, cycled on, a bit cold and very wet, but happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

First spin back in 18 months today. Just the 23 km from dundrum to enniskerry and back. 240 m up. Was pretty happy with the pace etc and managed the hills well once I realised that I (still) ain't Sean Kelly. Probably will only manage to get out at the weekends but I really enjoyed it today. Weather is also fabulous so that helped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's a fun wind out there. The spin from the naul back down past roganstown was a messy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Having a lazy day yesterday I totally misjudged what time it was when I left. I thought it was about 5, turns out it was closer to 7.
    I left Dublin and headed for Naas, going into Sallins, Clane then back in through Celbridge and Lucian. By the time I got to Clane it had gotten dark.

Nice cycle though, 65kms with a couple of hundred metres of climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to killenagh, ballycanew,Gorey, inch, Arklow, back on the coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown. Up to Ballygarrett as far as kilmuckridge and back to the house 71 km Avg 26.1 kph. Had a nice tail wind for first 3o km down the old n11 to Arklow, Avg was 28.9 kph but the next 40 km was on the heavier coast road and into a head wind so Avg dropped to 26.1 kph. Lovely morning in the sunny southeast except for the wind. Still dry up to now.
    Looks like I was lucky enough with the weather today, shortslieves and bib shorts in 16 degrees sunshine , a bit windy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i'm glad i went out this morning in NCD and not this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Did the Pieta100 in Dublin today, including getting to Swords and back I got 125km in @25kph. The headwind was a bit savage and had some scary moments with crosswinds in the rain going home by the airport. Hello to the Boardsie I was chatting to briefly between the Naul and Balbriggan.

https://www.strava.com/activities/724468123

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Time tissues again this Sunday so no club spin again, feels like ages since i went with the boys.

Off out at Sunrise which was in around 07.10, bloody nippy out as well. All this meant i got to wear my Galibier Minstral jacket i got ages ago, just a SS Jersey with it and i was toasty as hell all spin long. Well impressed tbh. Add in my shorts, leg warmers and skull cap from Galibier as well, great gear.

Spin itself was tough as i was carrying a chest infection albiet minor all week. Had planned to go The Vee and onto Mt Mellary but after getting to The Vee and feeling my dodgy hamstring once more, tight and crampy, i decided that Mellary was a step too far.

92kms with 880 of elevation and avg of 29.1km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crap day on the bike today.

I'm usually anal about paying attention to the weather forecast but I slipped up today. I'd been watching the forecast up to yesterday but this morning I brought my son to his rugby training and forgot my phone so didn't get to check the forecast.

After the training I'd arranged to meet a buddy at 1200 for a spin. We were planning to go out the N81 and up to Sally Gap and take things from there.

It was a balmy 17C when we left and I was dressed in a pair of bib shorts and my trusty Boards.ie jersey with a pair of arm warmers in my pocket in case it got chilly up at Sally Gap.

As we passed Jobstown a small shower passed which reminded me that I'd forgotten my rain jacket - BIG mistake. The rain stopped after a few minutes and we carried on.

At Brittas we turned left to head to the Firing Range. As we climbed at Talbotstown the heavens opened but it was a short deluge. Closer to the Firing Range the heavens opened properly and we started to get a bit cold so we turned left for Ballinascorney abandoning the Sally Gap plan.

Fcuk me the rain got heavier as we climbed. When we got to the summit the rain was still pelting and the Garmin indicated that the temperature was now 5.5C :eek: and me like a fool dressed for summer :eek: :eek:

So the descent began and all I was thinking was 'get me down off this mountain' hoping that the temperature would increase as we dropped lower. After a brief spell at 60km/h I really started to get cold. Passing by Ballinascorney Golf Club, I started to shiver which wobbled the steering so I had to slow down considerably. All the time the rain kept coming down in sheets. When we got to the Firhouse crossroads I was still shivering and the damn red lights just wouldn't change quick enough. I carried on shivering the last few kms home.

Then as Murphy's Law would have it, 200m from the house the rain stopped and I could feel the heat from the sun but I didn't care - I just wanted a hot shower. I couldn't feel my fingers anymore but I felt the pain in the shower as they warmed up.

Thanks be to jaysus I didn't go with the original plan to go up to Sally Gap.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that damn wind.

37.6km / 522m

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

P_1 wrote: »
    Did the Pieta100 in Dublin today, including getting to Swords and back I got 125km in @25kph. The headwind was a bit savage and had some scary moments with crosswinds in the rain going home by the airport. Hello to the Boardsie I was chatting to briefly between the Naul and Balbriggan.

https://www.strava.com/activities/724468123

I think that was myself, we were chatting after the first water stop on the road back to Balbriggan, pleasure to meet you. Wind was bad at times alright but a good spin all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Out for a spin yesterday morning for a loop around Glencree, luckily before the heavens opened as I hadn't spotted that in the weather forecast. The crosswinds on the Featherbeds were still hairy enough though.

I was going down towards Powerscourt and I was wondering who was the FKW coming up towards me in the fake Irish national champion jersey. As they got closer I realised it was the man himself, Nico. Gave him a good morning as he passed.

He was then going down from Glencree towards Enniskerry as I was going back up.

He looked to be going decidedly easy but no doubt still going way faster then a mere mortal like myself.

Also saw two lads coming back across the featherbeds both in Saxo jerseys but didn't cop if they were in full kit, any of those lads in town as well or likely to be just two mates who didn't call each other first to make sure they didn't go out wearing the same jersey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Much more settled weather today so hoping to get out in the afternoon. I was all ready to rock yesterday after a long week at work. Finally off, I head out for a bit I thought. There I was dressed in all my cycling gear. Backpack, banana and water at the ready heading out the door when I see it's raining fecking sideways. Gutted, I've no waterproofs, new enough to cycle so decided not to risk it. But today is a new day and I'm aiming for 45k.

Also Ive been cycling since June, I bought a mtb as I love the forest trails. However, I'm also now doing road mileage which I didn't expect to do. So I now want a road bike. I can still avail of my btw scheme as I didn't use it for the mtb. I'm looking at the Boardman team carbon any users on here? It seems to get great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Done the 100 km spin yesterday. Very well organised and great guys to cycle with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Headed from home to Maynooth, Clane, Sallins, Naas, Johnstown, Kill and back in to Dublin. 70kms on the nose, 27kph avg anf 326metres up

Whatever is going on with me I always seem to really struggle for the first 15kms and then I get a rhythm

secman wrote: »
    Headed to killenagh, ballycanew,Gorey, inch, Arklow, back on the coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown. Up to Ballygarrett as far as kilmuckridge and back to the house 71 km Avg 26.1 kph. Had a nice tail wind for first 3o km down the old n11 to Arklow, Avg was 28.9 kph but the next 40 km was on the heavier coast road and into a head wind so Avg dropped to 26.1 kph. Lovely morning in the sunny southeast except for the wind. Still dry up to now.
    Looks like I was lucky enough with the weather today, shortslieves and bib shorts in 16 degrees sunshine , a bit windy though.

No thanks at all !...... just cos I was in sunshine! :(

Ah thanks ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

Tipped down to Kinnegad for a lovely night spin with the lads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Headed from home to Maynooth, Clane, Sallins, Naas, Johnstown, Kill and back in to Dublin. 70kms on the nose, 27kph avg anf 326metres up

Whatever is going on with me I always seem to really struggle for the first 15kms and then I get a rhythm

Same myself if off the bike for a week it takes 10km for full body services to function in sync :o

flat 45k this evening - glasnevin, out the old N2 to the nine mile, and swung for kilbride just before ratoath, and home. lots of relatively rash overtakign manouevres from 7 series beemers for some reason.
    the wind had dropped off a bit, from what i could see. 27.2km/h.

Managed a short 30km last night, with the light fading these days. Got as far as turn for Manor Kilbride and back to Kilnamanagh. Avg 25.8 kph. Lovely evening too, nice to get it in and still managed to get to TPS camera club for 8 bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Bought a proper Scott racing bike second hand two weeks ago. Over the past few months I've been bitten by the bug and have swallowed some amount of cycling books, docs etc so bit the bullet and bought a bike. Only got time for my first proper spin this morning and it was the business! I can well and truly say I'm smitten haha. Took it from Swords, through Man-O-War, into Skerries and back home to Swords through Lusk.

Was going grand until I got to the hill with the GAA pitch at the top in Man-O-War. Serious gear issues....in that I hadn't a clue whether or not I was in the right one. Had to dismount half way up and take the walk of shame to the top. This was a bit of an issue throughout the spin. I'm a complete novice when it comes to bike gears etc and found myself struggling a bit even up the smallest of bumps at times. I don't think it's a fitness issue as I play a high level of Gaelic football and train 4 times a week for that. Basically, which gear should I be using going up hills and down hills?? The gears with the highest cadence or the lowest ones? Forgive me, I know it's the most stupid of questions but I'd apreciate all the help.

Outside of the gear trouble, everything else went grand. Had a lovely tailwind coming into Skerries, which manifested itself into a monster of a headwind of course, all the way home.

Happy enough overall for a very first spin though. Strava (it's a great yoke!) tells me I did 38.9km at an average speed of 22.3km/h. Took me 1hour 44mins, including the 3/4 stops for a minute due to water breaks (still getting used to taking the bottle out, in motion) and traffic issues. I'm also a complete newb at cycling on main roads so I played it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Higher cadence is your friend. You will find it so much easier to spin a lower gear at 90-100, than grind a bigger gear at 60.

As for which gear is which: At the back, the bigger cogs are lower gears, while at the front, the smaller chainring is lower. It is all down to the ratio of front to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

jalock20 wrote: »
    Basically, which gear should I be using going up hills and down hills?? The gears with the highest cadence or the lowest ones? Forgive me, I know it's the most stupid of questions but I'd apreciate all the help.

Up Hill
    Smallest cog on the front chainrings and biggest cog on the back cassette.
    SPIN SPIN SPIN

Down hill
    Biggest cog on the front chainrings and smallest cog on the back cassette.
    SPEED SPEED SPEED

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement