Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think a cyclist and bike aren't heavy enough. We figured this out at home that even a group of cyclists weren't enough to trigger them.
    I don't believe they're weight based, you have to cycle along the tar lines to trigger the coil. Aim for the lines running parallel rather than perpendicular to the road.

If it's a specific set of lights that aren't triggering for cyclists, the tolerance may need adjusting and can be reported on FixYourStreet.ie

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think a cyclist and bike aren't heavy enough. We figured this out at home that even a group of cyclists weren't enough to trigger them.
    A few magnets under the bike may be enough to trigger the electormagnetic field created by the induction loop into thinking that you're a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

ronoc wrote: »
    That wasn't a cyclist. It was an asshole riding a bike.

Yes it was, it was just an asshole cyclist. Anyone cycling a bike is a cyclist. Anyone driving a car is a driver. There's good and bad in both, but you can't disown the ones you don't like, just the same way as you shouldn't dump all drivers into the category of "empty couch driving oblivious road owners" or whatever.

Too much generalisations by and about both groups.

*That's a general you, as opposed to me directly addressing ronoc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just roll over the sensor if you can (are the first in the queue), they should change instantly if there is no traffic around
    not if you're on a bike with too little ferrous material in it.
    There are induction coils under the road at many junctions, usually visible where you see rectangles defined by thin lines of tar just behind the stop line. They would usually be triggered by a mass of steel sitting above them waiting at the lights.

Check out https://www.bikewalknc.org/bicycle-detection-at-traffic-signals/
    They work fine with aluminium wheels but carbon seems to be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've proven this works, I can be on my way to the lights at several junctions thinking that they wont change and by the time I reach the stop line, they've changed green simply by rolling over the joint sections of the sensors. It does work but you have to be pretty accurate and a specific type of wheel

• Advertisement

I have a nice loop that's within my 2km radius around Portmarnock. It's a nice loop really, a couple of little hills, quiet roads for a lot of it. I aim for an hour in the mornings before work and it's such a good way to start the day. For the most part drivers I encounter are courteous, but there I've had a surprising amount of aggression still on the empty roads. It's a shame really.

Agreed Alan - thats what I've done the last two mornings, puts me in a great mood for sitting at my desk/computer at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Not me, my daughter: Just spent an hour trying to master the unicycle that's been in the shed for a while. Nearly there, another day or two will nail it.

Me: I'm over to the parenting/walking/jogging forums to report my recent exercise.

Guilt: 40km of laps between the roundabouts.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Roadtoad wrote: »

Guilt: 40km of laps between the roundabouts.
    If you have a roundabout to yourself, 40km round a single one on a unicycle seems entirely appropriate:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Today I complied & never left the house on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dahat wrote: »
    Not that old yet! Turbo is structured sessions & get out once per week on the road.

I’m working from home so would go demented if I didn’t get out for a change of scenery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - i've deleted a post as per mod note #7096. please remember the exercise allowed is 'brief'
    edit: just for the sake of clarity, from now on, anything over one hour will not be considered to be brief. unfortunately, we have to draw the line somewhere, and the best place to debate where the line sits would be the 'coronavirus and cycling impact' thread. but for the purposes of this thread, it's 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm lucky that I have a 6.2km loop which all falls with the 2km radius, I done it 4 times last night (again) Theres 80m of climbing on the loop so roughly 300m for a 25km spin isn't a bad workout. The one problem is the roads are very poor and broken up in places and so its a slow slog at times and its sore on the bike...my seat post slipped 4inches last night such is the pounding the bike takes in places but thankfully the tyres seem to be holding up great with zero cuts or nicks (Michelin Lithion 2's (25mm)- Highly recommended bomb proof training tyre)

Done a 11.18km loop within the 2km radius, could stretch a little bit further but dont want to risk it. Highest elevation on the loop is 43m but the descent is quite fun and certainly clears the cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ve a couple of short loops by the house that I link together to give me a bit of a spin. Been taking the kids on one and getting them used to the roads while it’s quiet, and they’re loving it - especially since the weather has improved

Second spin on the road with my two boys

Time 54.36

Distance 4.88 miles

Avg. Speed 5.4mph

Elev. Gain 131ft

Maybe there's something to 'gear 6' after all...

All messing aside, it's great to be able to bring the kids on the road on their bikes. I'm able to show them positioning, stopping to cross roads, dealing with cars overtaking.

On top of that, with the small bit of traffic that's out there, everyone is being courteous and friendly, with more waves from cars than I've ever seen before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

ronoc wrote: »
    That wasn't a cyclist. It was an asshole riding a bike.

True enough. Its a bit of a cliché though, a nice soundbite. He was on a storck and in bibs etc, to most people he would be a "cyclist", was really just making the point that hopefully someone with a lack of self awareness would see and maybe reflect on their behaviour. Since I posted that I saw another, bizarrely, again spitting in the middle of a busy urban spot! Again, I of course acknowledge that most are not doing this.

I'd you complained to Dublin bus about being nearly run over by a bus driver how would you react if they told you "that wasn't a bus driver,it was...."

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

cletus wrote: »
    Second spin on the road with my two boys

Time 54.36
    Distance 4.88 miles
    Avg. Speed 5.4mph
    Elev. Gain 131ft

Maybe there's something to 'gear 6' after all...

All messing aside, it's great to be able to bring the kids on the road on their bikes. I'm able to show them positioning, stopping to cross roads, dealing with cars overtaking.

/quote]

You'll be in trouble when they start quoting The Rules to you, with all those references. Gosh dad, how quaint, a mile, a foot. Had you misplaced your hourglass that day?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Seeing lots of families out on bikes on my short local loop which is great to see. A fair few nervous looking parents who also seem new to cycling. I hope it sticks for some when this all blows over. 14k for me today over 36 minutes which was a refreshing lungful of air and blast of sunshine. Will supplement with a short turbo session later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

2 Laps of Celbridge, 27.6km @ 30.1km/h avg. Loads out cycling, running and walking, great weather for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3272137485

Roadtoad wrote: »
    You'll be in trouble when they start quoting The Rules to you, with all those references. Gosh dad, how quaint, a mile, a foot. Had you misplaced your hourglass that day?

:D I use Garmin connect for both running and cycling. I have all my measurements set to imperial. Drive my mates mad when I start talking about my running pace in minute/miles.

I reckon I'm of the generation where I'm happy using either or. I'll often use both imperial and metric in the same set of dimensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did 90 mins on the turbo outdoors then quick change & put the door for quick loop around the town on a glorious day.

Rear cable snapped starting loop 2 so called a halt & went home happy to get outdoors for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A few up and downs of killiney hill .
    59 mins 59 seconds. Managed a few PBs. Lovely evening fir it. Climbed 460m over 21km
    https://strava.app.link/u71DIugwB5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Really enjoying taking my 9 year old out for short spins.

0MqKyrH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I had to take a break from zwift today, it always seems to be me saying I'll just take a handy spin around then ends up balls to the wall and collapsing off the bike :rolleyes:

So wound it right back today and a nice cruisey spin to pick up a few essentials

tqkX4lP2KfgVyhJeL2pGuRg1DkDSOCr6F26W4YGC5EaPOMBmSbFjdz_A6sAjsVQIxyBbdqiYtJt_g2yFLMo17xi-3zpCkN5gNbKFHw0SWbI4nJDyRpFTqCan6s8NaG4A4fP_RsSbJdU3trt8V79VBkteFO-9ahPRTRnsGyPC0lwn9bo-NNEYGrMwwXcH0GcygdwHzfqdXLXjp7mmDRaZt6EOt504yUg20JkWPrVQnGTat2Qm5NPpAZgYRLKyhx-OiJByadGsIQdp9vT-ukUv0Et3cWhiiuIvTCQucLp7S__KOl_vmJqFfVw1hJcAtabCxNMJSb1IFR-cW0mcx9owfZNxTzwYWjMAKzYMZD6rqDMUkIdtupoBAUUajTBbnj1jThWfoj7giC3irPzdZwIfk0-h-OwWmb28ZMLdofuqOWLPWwtWKNgguktP2IxHA3cYLT6UKqTI-o-L3DThwGbki64zm5HImdTVLCAMd5mAl2-pcnoxMFRDQe-b733aJA252ikIUzlzKEhg7RQXjdEE2wTSF5Qlvgl37m7ZCJ3CvR0VBskOyWONlF9XuFkduqZb_2Cn4INcFXK67b72lXoRjnc6JXk9Di_b3fVIHuD4kHgaIaSZPpl2SQnuc7rSnKRkOJyMtegOPpPpIRxdjF_4lkJloe5vtFy2iJWYb4Fvswo6QtJibIq1j-wJDeCIOE6-Lu6BGVMDDLGEkQJmS3slQrvjL2rmPOD72-8v9PIOpNEIFTExgenQ2i_x=w315-h663-no

Went out this evening around the main roads of Leixlip (within the 2km zone).
    Beautiful weather but was already tired after a run this morning and a fair bit of outdoor work during the day.

At one point a car overtook me fairly closely (he had the whole road to do it safely). He braked after I shouted and as I passed him I just shouted in his passenger window that he should be giving me more space. This all on the same road where a person was killed in a collision a few hours beforehand :rolleyes:

https://strava.app.link/ko3x7hGBB5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Surprised this thread is still a thing. That anyone wants to hear about anyone else's cycle...

FWIW ....emmmm ....so today I ...ahh..... I went anticlockwise.

Because yesterday and the day before I .....ammm.... I went..... like, y'know.... clockwise.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Surprised this thread is still a thing. That anyone wants to hear about anyone else's cycle...

FWIW ....emmmm ....so today I ...ahh..... I went anticlockwise.

Because yesterday and the day before I .....ammm.... I went..... like, y'know.... clockwise.

I know a tiny person who went for a wobble on her sisters old balance bike this week and fell off after not 2 meters. Not sure if it was clockwise or not as she kind of just pushed off and went one way them the other and then just keeled over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

#MeToo did a loop around the house. Yay. It's special because it was the first ride outdoors this year. I did climb couple of nice hills in France two days ago, but it doesn't count as it was done at 'le cabanon' on BingRingVR.

Like it's been said already, really nice to ride around with light traffic, loads of families on bike, great to see the joy in little faces. Our favourite canal path beyond the 2k radius, but my kids have been out on their bikes on exploring main roads, ally-ways & fields in the last few weeks. Also not having to tuck your elbows and knees in to avoid scrapping against cars.. and in general people have time in their hands and courtesy and a smile / wave for others... Bliss!!

<Snip>

Couple of pictures!

qHC4Ip0.jpg
    c5efcl8.jpg

please read the posts mentioned in the thread title for guidance on posting about rides during lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I was planning on not riding at all yesterday but got shifty and jumped on Zwift to do a race at 2130.

I did a race on the Bologna TT course. I knew it would be hard but I got dropped right from the start despite putting out about 600w before the race even began.

No matter. I powered on, heart rate through the roof. The last 2km was excruciating but I told myself to keep going and finish. Then, with 600m to go and the course mercifully ''flattening'' a bit, my chain dropped :( I quickly popped the chain back on and finished.

But the reason this upsets is me is because it now means, to satisify myself, I need to do the race again and make sure to do a full effort without a pause. Oh god.. :eek:

• Advertisement

Went out and about the roads of Leixlip again this morning. Whilst it was dry, it was damn cold compared to recently.

One thing I've noticed recently is the traffic lights at Cope Bridge in Confey don't give enough time for people to cross (and I wouldn't say I was going slowly!). It's a single file bridge over the Royal Canal and railway in Confey with traffic lights regulating traffic flow & direction over the bridge. However over the last week, I'd wait for a green and when I get it, I promptly cycle up and over. Most times, the lead car on thr other side is either coming towards me and/or finger wagging or horn beeping at me. The lights changed in their favour while I was crossing and it looks like I broke a red.
    I've listed it via www.fixyourstreet.ie but it hasn't been resolved yet so looks like I'll be spending the next while feeding the belief that all cyclists break reds :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement