Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Very aggravating alright. It's worth learning off the following road traffic act amendment from August 2018 should you meet these guards again, or others with the same out of date information.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/si/321/made/en/print

Statutory Instrument No. 321 / 2018 is the key reference number for you to quote to whomever needs it.

Easy one to remember, especially for anyone who remembers the old BBC (ITV?) game show with "Dusty Bin" :pac:

I cant make head nor tails of that. It sounds like its saying you have to use the bike lane? I tought they removed the need to cycle on a bike lane?

I know that stretch of road well and use the bike lane when I can but its a pain in around there. Some really poorly designed lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I cant make head nor tails of that. It sounds like its saying you have to use the bike lane? I tought they removed the need to cycle on a bike lane?
    it's the inclusion of the
    'a pedal cycle shall be driven on a cycle track that is on (insert list) at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided.'
    which is key (my emphasis, and i frequently don't know what i'm talking about).

ditto for the contra flow - this is stipulating that bikes must use cycling infrastructure provided in pedestrianised areas, or contra flow cycle lanes.

to yer average garda, this won't be proof that you're allowed *not* to use cycling infrastructure in other circumstances.

Ok sorry so its saying the only time that you have to use the bike lane is when there is specifically sine RUS 021 (red circle with empty white inside showing pedestrianisedzone) there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at the sign (RUS 028) on the road using the maps link provided, bicycles are allowed use this bus lane under paragraph 32 of SI332/2012...
    Bus Lanes

32. (1)(a) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(b) A contra-flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane indicated on an information plate.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print

This sign is still valid as per Ch5 of the Traffic Signs Manual - https://assets.gov.ie/34716/1b6d65651bba484ab67f803f3de694bb.pdf

The garda was in the wrong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ok sorry so its saying the only time that you have to use the bike lane is when there is specifically sine RUS 021 (red circle with empty white inside showing pedestrianisedzone) there?
    i'm not sure it is - it's saying you must use them in those specific circumstances, but is itself silent on other circumstances.

this is one of the problems of road traffic law, it desperately needs consolidation. it's like layers in an onion, where incremental changes are pasted on year after year, so you've to read the above one to know the enforced use applies in one situation, but dive deeper if you want to learn if enforced use does not apply in different situations.

i think.

• Advertisement

Yeah the fact is the bus lane sign has a bike on it so it’s a bus and bike lane

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah the fact is the bus lane sign has a bike on it so it’s a bus and bike lane

Had to explain that to a taxi driver once :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Thanks for the replies and clarification all. Definitely worth keeping that piece of legislation handy in case it happens again.

Cursing myself more for not having the cycle cam on me when it happened, as I'd be in a good mind to send it in with a complaint. Time and again these kind of things come up as good reminders to keep each cycle recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

I X Rocky,
    2 X Yoyo
    1 X Long John
    1X Smoothie
    ( these are all mini-climbs, with my pet names, and all within 2 Km radius )

I'm doing more and longer ,who knew when this war started that I'd end up climbing the walls for fun.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've noticed over the last few days more and more drivers will overtake me only to stop almost immediately to turn right.
    Is it the good weather or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SB2007

Anyone noticed the amount of people just walking across the road without looking when youre on a bike over the last few weeks . Seems a lot of air heads in daisy dreamland about .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

in-ear wireless headphones?

Have had one instance of it in about 100km of suburban cycling over the last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Most of my riding the last few weeks has been on country roads - no footpath - and the number of people who have no idea of how to walk on these roads has been staggering. 50% walk on the wrong side. Some are in groups spread right across the road. There's 2 women I meet regularly who walk on opposite sides of the road, and then every time they see me, there is a confused swapping sides/dance-like thing they do where one of them is now always in the way. Now whenever I meet them on the road, I try and vary my route to miss them on the next loop.
    Today I saw maybe 8 or 9 cyclists but when I looked at the fly-bys on strava, there were dozens so a lot of walkers are logging their walks now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Most of my riding the last few weeks has been on country roads - no footpath - and the number of people who have no idea of how to walk on these roads has been staggering. 50% walk on the wrong side. Some are in groups spread right across the road. There's 2 women I meet regularly who walk on opposite sides of the road, and then every time they see me, there is a confused swapping sides/dance-like thing they do where one of them is now always in the way. Now whenever I meet them on the road, I try and vary my route to miss them on the next loop.
    Today I saw maybe 8 or 9 cyclists but when I looked at the fly-bys on strava, there were dozens so a lot of walkers are logging their walks now

I noticed this too, people need to be taught to walk on the correct side and cross to open side at tight bends. It's incredible that people don't know this. Seen a lot of long cycles on Strava over the weekend where I am tbh. I just hope that they aren't being noticed as an excuse to extend lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Met a lad from the club 3 times last week. All at least 30km from where he lives and he was wearing club colours!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wet and miserable out this morning. Was planning longer but rode past the house and couldn't resist getting out of wet and cold gear and getting the feeling back in my toes and fingers.
    Decided to use the good bike as the winter one wasn't fully built back up - really should have taken the time to do it
    After greasing my headset the other day, I have now noticed that the bars are ever so slightly off to one side and my OCD meter is in the red, so this needs to be sorted before I can ride again - after I give it a good clean of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, the lane goes as far as the rugby field. You can turn right into the fields, and walk around the edges of the fields, it brings you out at the roundabout at the school.
    Originally that lane continued onto the Beamore Road. The hedges are still there, but completely overgrown and boggy and marshy in places.

Last few weeks, especially with the dry spell, you could walk to the end of the lane, go thru the rugby field, walk thru vairous fields and get to the side of the lane onto Beamore Road. That field has been ploughed since so that might not be possible now.

It is indeed a beautiful little gem of an area, however... I see there are houses coming up with entrance to the lane.

It's mad they seem to be building those houses around some of the bungalows further down the road. Thats going to be some change in view for those living there. Wonder if they offered to buy them out?

I know if it was me I'd not have been happy with a what effectively is your house being moved to an urban area from what was pretty much a rural setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wet and miserable out this morning. Was planning longer but rode past the house and couldn't resist getting out of wet and cold gear and getting the feeling back in my toes and fingers.
    Decided to use the good bike as the winter one wasn't fully built back up - really should have taken the time to do it
    After greasing my headset the other day, I have now noticed that the bars are ever so slightly off to one side and my OCD meter is in the red, so this needs to be sorted before I can ride again - after I give it a good clean of course...

Cleared up nicely this afternoon. I went out about 7am and a noticeable difference in foot traffic and car traffic (must be because of Operation Fanacht)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Definitely more cars and trucks on the roads this week. Also found the new found love shown towards cyclists seems to have disappeared. Last few weeks I had been increasingly noticing the extra space motorists left when overtaking. This morning it was back to angry motorists, a gombeen reving the engine at traffic lights behind me and generally not half as nice a cycle as last few weeks. Noticing increasingly cyclists going well out of their 2km limits too. Meanwhile I'm continuing to mentally log every pothole and stray leaf in my never ending loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Noticing increasingly cyclists going well out of their 2km limits too.

Quick question, how can you tell if a stranger on a bicycle is well out of their 2km limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Quick question, how can you tell if a stranger on a bicycle is well out of their 2km limit?

Check a Strava segment they went on, if their details are public you can see the details of the ride they did. There is a guy local to me who does 100k rides 4 times a week. Well beyond 2k radius,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

thelawman wrote: »
    Check a Strava segment they went on, if their details are public you can see the details of the ride they did. There is a guy local to me who does 100k rides 4 times a week. Well beyond 2k radius,

I wouldn't mind a fella going a km or 2 past the 2km to make a loop that stays close but some people are going miles beyond it. I've seen a guy pass my house in gear from a club a good 40 km away. Text a buddy who races for them and he said he wasn't surprised, Garda have been on contact with their committee already.

Going to draw more negative press to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

BTW got 31 km in yesterday doing loop the loops locally, sick of the same bloody signs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

thelawman wrote: »

I was asking how the OP knew, not the Strava Spies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I never said they were strangers. While they are not friends, I know some of the cyclists and know that they shouldn't be in my 2km zone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bot1

****ty old wet 15km cycle this morning.
    Please reassure me that I'm not the only one sticking to this 2km restriction?
    Some of the fellow strava users I'm clicking on look to be doing well outside the 2km limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bot1 wrote: »
    Please reassure me that I'm not the only one sticking to this 2km restriction?

Another 2km'er here - getting a bit boring, but on the plus side, my wife has realised that going out six days a week for only 15-20km is actually making her fitter than her previous once a week for 40+km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

75 virtual km in the Ardennes. Was going for a virtual gran fondo but then gave up
    Legs had it in them, but wanted to stop. Had I started an hour earlier then I'd have finished.

I've used zwift, rouvy, rgt, and bigringvr this month - 6 weeks. They all have their plus points and minuses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement