Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Beautiful this morning, left work at 7am, felt a bit tired so I thought I might shorten the spin home. In the end I managed 34km including a lap of Swords. Loads out walking & cycling even coming up to 8am, great to see. These are possibly people who would otherwise be commuting on public transport to work, maybe out early in advance of working from home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, the highlight of my ride today was being able to flag down a garda car and tell them the chap on a scrambler they were chasing had evaded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

retalivity wrote: »
    Did an hour in Phoenix Park, 3rd time this week. Judging by the flybys of others though, the 5k limit seems to be a suggestion rather than a rule.

There's a lot chatter regarding golf restarting. And a lot of talk of who lives within 5km of their club. I've yet to see it mentioned how they are going to work with the fact that lots (possibly the majority) of these golfers will not have the full course withing their 5km, and no chatter at all about how they will deal with this. The impication seems to be that it would be ridiculous to confine yourself to only parts of the course that are within the limit.

So maybe they are operating "golf club rules". They live within 5km of the PP, so the whole of the PP is their club!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Enduro wrote: »
    There's a lot chatter regarding golf restarting. And a lot of talk of who lives within 5km of their club. I've yet to see it mentioned how they are going to work with the fact that lots (possibly the majority) of these golfers will not have the full course withing their 5km, and no chatter at all about how they will deal with this. The impication seems to be that it would be ridiculous to confine yourself to only parts of the course that are within the limit.

So maybe they are operating "golf club rules". They live within 5km of the PP, so the whole of the PP is their club!

I was talking about lads who did a pass of phoenix park, then went out to howth or up sally gap, or away out to maynooth and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Looking at my strava many people seem to have decided that 20km is now the radius limit for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Looking at my strava many people seem to have decided that 20km is now the radius limit for them

Someone I was following posted a 130k ride along the Royal Canal and followed it with the return trip the next day. Bad enough doing it but putting it up on Strava :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seems to be the way around Drogheda as well. People who should know better going well outside the 5km radius. Think alot of people have just given up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quite alot of generous spins in my area today also.

If I'm being honest I'll be between 5-8km radius for near 3 hours tomorrw, no more though & back to the turbo for the week after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭f1000

Being indoors for so long has had a serious effect on my mediocre fitness. Have had 3 outings this week within my 5km radius.

Average of around 14km @ 14km/h per ride. Need to address those numbers :P

Day 1, grand

Day 2, bollixed trying to finish the last stretch

Day 3 (today), decided to up my cadence instead of pushing gears, much better.

Relaxing with recovery beer now ;)

Seems to be the way around Drogheda as well. People who should know better going well outside the 5km radius. Think alot of people have just given up on it.

Yeah seen a few taking the piss from Drogheda.

I actually find it fun to plot a route on the google maps staying within the rules. Going to cover a few roads I haven't been down in a long time or ever tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I actually find it fun to plot a route on the google maps staying within the rules. Going to cover a few roads I haven't been down in a long time or ever tomorrow.

Same as. All my routes this week are pre-planned from Strava and I've had some of the most enjoyable days in years. I've been on roads I previously didn't know existed as I've bypassed them to go further away!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

f1000 wrote: »
    Being indoors for so long has had a serious effect on my mediocre fitness. Have had 3 outings this week within my 5km radius.

Average of around 14km @ 14km/h per ride. Need to address those numbers :P

Day 1, grand

Day 2, bollixed trying to finish the last stretch

Day 3 (today), decided to up my cadence instead of pushing gears, much better.

Relaxing with recovery beer now ;)

If only there was a clue :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up stocking land to the viewing point (inside my 5km) again this morning and punctured descending outside Cruagh wood. Not a bother, took the wheel off, replaced the inner tube, put her back on, tried pumping her up and nothing much happening. Replaced with the second spare after checked the tyre carefully, tried pumping it up again, still no joy so took the walk home. Tried pumping up with the track pump when I go in and it was grand. Wouldn't mind but the mini-pump I was using has served me well for years, time for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

64km yesterday involving the 5km radius around the town. Bloody cold in the shade but it was nothing compared to this morning's commute. 1c when I was leaving the house, so much for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Only 21km today @7am in biting cold and underdressed. Went out the back of the house which is a sun trap and it felt ok, so I headed out with just the summer gloves. After being exposed to the northerly breeze and shade I nearly had to turn back after 10 minutes as my fingers were in agony, but soldiered on. Worked up a bit of circulation but still cut it short. On the plus side, the Galibier Mistral was flawless and kept my core at a nice temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Didnt think it was too cold this morning, only had a pair of showerspass rainproof gloves on as they're lighter than my winter ones. Think I need to get a Mistral, have a Tourmalet but it can get quite wet/damp if not using a base layer.

JMcL wrote: »
    Only 21km today @7am in biting cold and underdressed. Went out the back of the house which is a sun trap and it felt ok, so I headed out with just the summer gloves. After being exposed to the northerly breeze and shade I nearly had to turn back after 10 minutes as my fingers were in agony, but soldiered on. Worked up a bit of circulation but still cut it short. On the plus side, the Galibier Mistral was flawless and kept my core at a nice temperature

Back up to the viewing point today for a spin before work. Very cold setting out at 6:45 and regretted fingerless gloves, Strava says 2℃. Grand at the top and then bitter coming back down again and lovely finishing in the sun around Rathfarnham and Knocklyon. Might go back to warmer gear, met.ie has it cold tomorrow am and going below zero on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Was considering not going but knew I'd be happy once I was out.
    As I'm new to cycling where I live (and haven't cycled for years) it's interesting to cycling on roads I've never driven on.
    28km cycle, just over an hour, windy roads to Athenry & fairly direct & more downhill on the way home to Turloughmore.
    Felt great after the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

smacl wrote: »
    Back up to the viewing point today for a spin before work. Very cold setting out at 6:45 and regretted fingerless gloves, Strava says 2℃. Grand at the top and then bitter coming back down again and lovely finishing in the sun around Rathfarnham and Knocklyon. Might go back to warmer gear, met.ie has it cold tomorrow am and going below zero on Thursday.

yeah, sounds familiar, I went out yesterday morning at 6.35am also with the summer mitts on. Looked lovely out.
    6km into the cycle I was close to turning around as the fingers were in a lot of pain. I figured they'd eventually warm up. That took 20km.
    I luckily had a long sleeve top on and I stretched the sleeves down over my hands which kind've worked and got rid of the ache.

De Bhál wrote: »
    yeah, sounds familiar, I went out yesterday morning at 6.35am also with the summer mitts on. Looked lovely out.
    6km into the cycle I was close to turning around as the fingers were in a lot of pain. I figured they'd eventually warm up. That took 20km.
    I luckily had a long sleeve top on and I stretched the sleeves down over my hands which kind've worked and got rid of the ache.

Put the light gloves on under the fingerless mitts this morning and it made the spin so much more comfortable. Having a light windproof coming down from the viewing point was also a plus. Also heading out 6:30-6:45 most mornings, due to be another cold one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got 35 km in last night, got I've gotten even slower ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Having learned from Tuesday, I ignored the visuals out the kitchen windows and dug out the winter gloves, leg warmers and overshoes again which made for a much more comfortable spin of just over 30km at a shade under 26km/h. Nearly came a cropper thanks to a hare sunning himself at the bottom of a big dip where I was trying to carry speed into the other side. Rather than jumping into the ditch, he first ran towards me, then across the road, then turned round and started galloping in the same direction before finally jumping into the ditch. So no momentum at the bottom of the climb, but did get to see some wildlife from close up

Funny - i saw a hare as well this morning, some speed out of them.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Funny - i saw a hare as well this morning, some speed out of them.

Saw a young fawn in the middle of the road going up Cruagh this morning the wildlife is certainly moving in. Glorious out there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did over 60kms today, all within the 5km limit, without cycling on the same stretch of road twice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had to head over to Tallaght to pick up some (essential) IT Equipment which meant that I could leave my usual 5km boundary.
    It's a great feeling travelling on "different" roads.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3450674466

Lovely morning for a cycle but my quads were bate off me. Met two sound racer (cyclists) and hope someday to have a proper bike

98078701_10158522071558384_8074883556972691456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=i5x53kQ5zL4AX_hiqbW&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5c76784d33ba2056194a4e85d091a6c3&oe=5EE490D5

Is your saddle a little on the low side maybe Mc Love?

Is your saddle a little on the low side maybe Mc Love?

Yeah it could be - must check later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I did over 60kms today, all within the 5km limit, without cycling on the same stretch of road twice.

That must have taken some planning!!

Did about 50 last night, all within 5k limit ( give or take a km or two :o ). Lovely evening for it. I love this good spell of weather and quieter roads - although main roads are starting to get livelier as more and more people are venturing out their dino-mobiles.

PS: Forgot to add that I saw a number of roadkills as well. Not unusual this time of the year, pheasants etc. But it was heartbreaking to see a cat lying dead on the road. It looks as if it was trying to get the driveway when got hit by passing vehicle. No major damage as such, but very dead. I thought of calling into that house to tell them about it but then again, social distancing and .. well.. what if they accuse me of running over their cat?! Sad though, I couldn't get that image out of my head for next few kms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement