Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

smacl wrote: »
    Same, once up Cruagh road to the viewing point before breakfast was enough for me but would hope to increase this over the coming weeks. Strava May climbing challenge signed up for to keep me motivated.

Managed to get up to the Viewing point or Hellfire club every day since the 5km limit hit for just under 11k of up and 3kg of weight lost. Back up there again today and looking forward to this day week when the 5k becomes 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CormacH94 wrote: »
    You'd be saying the same if it was lashing, get out there and do an aul loop

I did in the end, there was a slight cool breeze so wasn't as hot as I thought it would be

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got out twice this morning, at about half six, and just in the door again. it's bloody sweltery already.

got out twice this morning, at about half six, and just in the door again. it's bloody sweltery already.

Last day of the warm weather for a while from the looks of things. Was out myself about 6:30 and it was glorious, might add in some lunch time spins if it cools down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's due to be the hottest around lunchtime though i think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just cycled into work myself. Hotter at 10 today than it was midday other days

it's due to be the hottest around lunchtime though i think.

Was listening to radio or watching someone TV the other day mention our 'high noon' is actually between 1pm and 3pm here.

I was out early this morning and even then I was roasting on the bike over the 20km odd I did.

i got back in off the bike just after ten. even after a cold shower, i was still sweating from excess heat ten minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out at 9am for a glorious spin, drfited well outside my 5k radius which I'm putting down to heat exhaustion.

One of intervals plus an hour cruise home. 68kn @ 32.2 with the old tan topped up.

Now to get back to painting...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was listening to radio or watching someone TV the other day mention our 'high noon' is actually between 1pm and 3pm here.

I was out early this morning and even then I was roasting on the bike over the 20km odd I did.

It's weird that it is because it always seems way hotter in the late afternoon. Yesterday evening around 4pm it was nearly unbearable to be out in the direct sunlight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had to collect something from Woodies in Tallaght so made use of the excuse to travel outside of the 5km exercise limit.
    It was quite hot out and in hindsight I probably should have brought more than one bottle of water (can you hydrate from swallowing flys?).
    Lovely to get out on old familiar roads again though :)
    67km @ 28km/h - should have taken the opportunity to go further but I'm meant to be WFH!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3551988082

according to my car - just ran an errand - it's 27C on the northside.
    and the poxy air conditioning in the car isn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Managed 16 miles today, 4th time out on the bike!

Average speed of 16mph on the way over, 13 on the way back, managed it in just under an hour 10 minutes!

Went for a 4km run a few hours early (nearly died with the heat) too so not too shabby!

Still awaiting my new shoes and clipless pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Got another 30km in this morning at 8am, 3rd morning in a row so happy enough with that.
    The wind was horrible, give me the warm morning sunshine anyday.
    Had a few very unexpected gusts, one that gave me a slight wobble as I took a drink and I nearly soiled myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rode into work and back for the first time in months to get some paperwork sorted. Got back and went for a quick spin with my son. Got back from that, my daughter wanted to go out. Got to the end of the drive and my gears exploded! Broken hanger.
    Went back for the back up bike, swapped the pedals over and only got 300m down the road before I realised the back wheel was too wobbly for my liking. Looks like that needs new bearings or most likely binning.
    Rear wheel for the good bike is in the shop, so no more riding for a while unless I swing some spanners and make one good one out of what I’ve got ( the joys of a mix of 9, 10 and 11 speed bikes..)

Went out and did another 50km this morning within my 5km circle (which I'm sick of now).
    Long sleeve jersey thankfully which kept the chill at bay but the wind was a bit of a pain.
    Still, under 200km left before I hit the 5000km mark this year :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3557519433

Dunno was it the change in the weather or what but the level of driver apathy seems to have plummeted overnight (and it had already deteriorated over the last few weeks).
    The worst was when passing through Celbridge, there was a tailback due to a funeral in the town. As I passed the qeueing traffic (me passing on the right), an oncoming car turns across me. Thankfully, my recent brake block replacement paid for itself today. My language filter immediately switched off so the driver retorts by shouting something at me to the effect that I was in the wrong :rolleyes:
    However, I'd say there was a dozen or so passes that were on the edge being dangerous passes - all of which were needless with an open road, just the driver couldn't be arsed making a full effort and figured that they'd be fine so pedal down.
    Plenty more overtaking on the approach to a bend. Sure what's the worst that could happen?

Out of curiosity, are most people here still sticking to the 5km boundary limit?
    (I'm not looking for an excuse - maybe just confirmation that I'm not the only one)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Out of curiosity, are most people here still sticking to the 5km boundary limit?
    (I'm not looking for an excuse - maybe just confirmation that I'm not the only one)

You're not alone, I stayed within the 2, then the 5km. Haven't posted any cycles in here since lockdown, there was initially too much browbeating (possibly wrong word, bitchiness also springs to mind)
    Still been doing a mix of 30/40/60 km cycles, like you, I think I'm about tired of he same route, or variations of same.

I need some hills, rolling 20km limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Went out and did another 50km this morning within my 5km circle (which I'm sick of now).
    Long sleeve jersey thankfully which kept the chill at bay but the wind was a bit of a pain.
    Still, under 200km left before I hit the 5000km mark this year :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3557519433

Dunno was it the change in the weather or what but the level of driver apathy seems to have plummeted overnight (and it had already deteriorated over the last few weeks).
    The worst was when passing through Celbridge, there was a tailback due to a funeral in the town. As I passed the qeueing traffic (me passing on the right), an oncoming car turns across me. Thankfully, my recent brake block replacement paid for itself today. My language filter immediately switched off so the driver retorts by shouting something at me to the effect that I was in the wrong :rolleyes:
    However, I'd say there was a dozen or so passes that were on the edge being dangerous passes - all of which were needless with an open road, just the driver couldn't be arsed making a full effort and figured that they'd be fine so pedal down.
    Plenty more overtaking on the approach to a bend. Sure what's the worst that could happen?

I am anyway. Didn't even bother riding outside while it was a 2km boundary, stuck to the turbo.

Been doing the same 35km loop a couple of times a week & a few Zwift races, getting a bit repetitive now.

Monday can't come soon enough either, start of a weeks annual leave for me. Hopefully the weather plays its part :D

i've been spending a lot of time around the airport recently. vaguely interesting to note that nearly all aer lingus flights are their big planes (A330s) or turboprops. a lot of the A330 traffic is to and from beijing, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm lucky enough to live rural so I've a lot of options, longest loop I've done is 31km but it takes me just under 6km from home. It's a good mix of back roads with hills at the start and end and a nice long stretch of main road in-between.
    I could probably do 60/70km inside the 5km without passing the same road twice but it's all big hills and the legs aren't upto it yet which is why I'm using the other loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Got a bike recently and helmet finally got delivered today so took it out for a quick spin (3.2miles or so in 28mins :o) - to say I'm unfit is an understatement (I am over 18st and average height at best) but, enjoyed it none the less and already looking forward to my next outing tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Spent most of the 2km limit using the turbo, now that it's 5km I've been outdoors keeping within my limit, I added an app to the Garmin that tells you how far you are from your starting point to help me keep inside the perimeter. It's hasn't been easy watching others on Strava but at least it's nearly over ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes and this isn't the place to be going on about leaving it.

I've seen quite a few I would have thought more of go well outside their 5km (up to 25km away. Some are members here and only 2-3 of them have a reasonable excuse (work)

I know someone who went up Kippure too which is probably only within 5 km of a handful of people.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yes and this isn't the place to be going on about leaving it.
    Just to clarify, in case that's the way you interpreted it, I'm not leaving it.

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Got a bike recently and helmet finally got delivered today so took it out for a quick spin (3.2miles or so in 28mins :o) - to say I'm unfit is an understatement (I am over 18st and average height at best) but, enjoyed it none the less and already looking forward to my next outing tomorrow evening

Good on ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yep sticking to it and only a few more days too more options so I'm happy with that.

It is a little boring at times but in the grand scheme of things it's not much to ask of us. Anyone pulling the piss is just being selfish as I see some going 30km out.

Fair play to all observing it so far!

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Fair play to you!
    Set yourself realistic & achievable targets to keep yourself going but most of all, enjoy yourself

Yep stuck to the 2k limit and sticking to the 5k limit. Out every morning early for 20k-30k up the local hills. Also notice morning traffic is getting heavier and see a number of people I know going way outside their zone on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had stayed within the 2k and 5k, doing loops and giving out here and elsewhere about people blatantly breaking the rules, until I saw the protest march on
    monday and Leo and Simon tweeting support for it.

Went up to the viewing point on tues after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I've stayed within the recommended distances, it ain't that hard to do with the 5km cordon if you want a 40km spin.
    Looking at Strava and most of the people I follow are well outside the 5km and have been since about week 3 of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement