Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭blackwhite

To be honest, I can see myself finally breaking the rule. I'll await forther clarification before making any decision.
    It just seems daft that I can travel the length and breadth of Kildare (from Leixlip) but can't venture into Dublin or Meath which are around 1km away from me.

From what's been leaked it appears to be 20km circle, plus anywhere in your home county

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

To be honest, I can see myself finally breaking the rule. I'll await forther clarification before making any decision.
    It just seems daft that I can travel the length and breadth of Kildare (from Leixlip) but can't venture into Dublin or Meath which are around 1km away from me.

From what i gather, you can cross county borders once staying within the 20km. But once remaining in your own county the 20km limit does not apply at all.

But likewise, I'll await official word this evening.

Either way Monday Cant come soon enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

blackwhite wrote: »
    From what's been leaked it appears to be 20km circle, plus anywhere in your home county

That's a pretty vast boundary for us cyclists. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Apparently if you live in a “border area” you can go 20k into the other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

This article implies that the 20km circle around your house still stands, but that you can add the rest of your county to the circle.

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-covid-19-5115673-Jun2020/

Eg: If you live in the centre of Co. Cork, the 20km circle is irrelevant, but if you live if you live in eg: Leixlip, you get the 20km radius plus all of Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It’s looking like we can move freely within our own county from Monday so that opens up the whole of Wicklow for me!!

That will be great! I was looking forward to the 20km update but this is much better for me. Only 3 days left of 5km looping so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Virgin media have announced on twitter that the update is at 2pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I still can't get up to Kippure. I can go to Tara. Does that even count as a hill? Maybe Loughcrew, that might do for now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I can go to Tara. Does that even count as a hill?
    the clue is in the name!

the clue is in the name!

I take it you've never been to the Hill of Down!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe i have and didn't notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Tara is good for short sharp hill reps definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think the headwind champs could have been held today on the bull island causeway today. Some breeze on the Sutton clontarf cycleway but it was quiet trafficwise compared to last while. All the very fine weather "cyclists" taking a day or 3 off

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did another 50km this morning inside my bubble bringing my 2020 total over 5000kms :)

https://strava.app.link/V6RVL9WI76

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Another four perimeter circuits of the Phoenix Park this morning bringing my total to 50 laps since the 5km limit came in. Enjoyed every last one of them and the fact that I managed to average just over 29kph :) Looking forward to exploring the back roads of NCD again and need to check that the front derailleur still works before heading for Stocking Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Tara is good for short sharp hill reps definitely.

Was up there today, I'd forgotten how steep it is.

IMG_20200607_101805824_HDR.jpg

Had a nosey between St Micheal's point and the Strand too. Nice place for a family walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just going to setup a 20KM compliant route....stymmied. Damnit. Where's my RWGPS login...

z7ofVLx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Short but sharp one this morning as a "commute" to my home office to celebrate the passing of the 5km limit. Back onto one of the nicer quiet roads around here, in glorious sunshine, albeit a bit nippy in a northerly breeze. Knocked a bunch of PBs on the head as I've not been on those roads since March and my fitness level have gone up appreciably in the meantime.

Only fly in the ointment was the poxy K****tium back wheel which has been nowt but bother since day one - twisting spokes, wheel going out of true, loose spokes and seized nipples (the wheel, not me). I got them mostly sorted out with a bit of brute force and ignorance yesterday, but there's one that refused steadfastly to budge. Not sure the surfaces that've passed for roads in the last month or so did it much good either. I want to do a decent spin at the weekend, but at the same time don't relish being left on the side of the road 40km from base

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had to go into work to explain some stuff to staff. Then went straight for the viewing point via lamb Doyle's/cruagh. Took in the view which I missed.

My climbing legs have actually improved, which is 100% down to the smart trainer, but my descending, never the best anyway, was sketchy

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/k2siALjk96

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Just a loop around the hellfire/Killakee/Cruagh yesterday.

The 250m trafiic gridlock along Masseys/Hellfire had to be seen to be believed... I had to carry the bike over my head and squeeze between the cars in places...

• Advertisement

sounds like the cable car is a good idea after all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just a loop around the hellfire/Killakee/Cruagh yesterday.

The 250m trafiic gridlock along Masseys/Hellfire had to be seen to be believed... I had to carry the bike over my head and squeeze between the cars in places...

On my way down I did wonder about that. As much as there are more cyclists, there are increasingly bored kids been thrown into a car and brought to such places.

I'll be up there early anytime I am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I did a quick solo 30km earlier and spoke to more people than on the last few weeks!
    First came across a lorry reversing down a narrow country lane. Driver wound the window down to ask directions then told me how he’d been here loads of times but in a smaller truck ( do they navigate better??)
    Then met two ladies stopped with a flat. The wire had separated from the tyre bead and so the new tube started to bulge out the side. Not a lot I could do to help, so I hope they got back to Donabate ok. Lastly a motorist wanted directions but was too lazy to stop so wanted to shout out the passenger window while he drove alongside me on a narrow country lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

First 20km + County run - 87.5 km @ 28.5 av around NCD - great to see the lanes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Just over 30km again this morning. Legs were feeling a bit leaden after the past few days so had intentions of a nice handy spin to loosen them up a bit. Having not been on the chosen route for the best part of 3 months however, the lumpiness of it had slipped my mind so wound up with 450m of climbing for my sins :eek: Legs now feel even more leaden

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First escape from 5k zone yesterday morning taking in Bohernabreena, Piperstown, Featherbeds and home via Foxes for 35k with 650m of up. Back out again today Kilternan, Foxes, Viewing point and back down for 25k and 500m of up.

I head up to the Hellfire on the bike pretty regularly but you really need to be there early to avoid traffic and walkers if you're cycling the Coilte trails. Was up there Sunday afternoon and it was jammers. Lots more runners and walkers on the roads around Cruagh too so you really need to be a bit cautious descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Decided to give the climbing legs a good workout as they'd been relaxing under the bed for the last few months. Ticknock was a bit of a wake-up call, Kilmashogue, as tough as I remember it, but after heading up to the Featherbeds and down to Glenasmole, Cunard didn't seem too bad at all. I decided to head on to my 20k limit at Glencree (cafe still closed) and down towards Enniskerry before tackling the Devil's Elbow from the south for the first time. There's a sharp bend and climb just after the bridge (the elbow I presume) that had me looking for another gear but luckily I made it through before continuing on up to Johnnie Fox's, the Blue Light and Lamb Doyles. In better times, a pint and a sandwich would have been a good reward for 1600m of climbing but I had to make do with another oaty bar instead. Overall 80km on the clock when I got home northside and an average of 21kph.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was going to head out over towards Brittas and Blessington but with an insect bite on monday on my left calf gone swollen I felt that it could be too much for me so I decided to keep it urban and I'm just back from a spin into Dublin city to see some of the new changes.
    Two near incidents - a pedestrian and a cyclist crossed in front of me when I was in the new cycle lane on the N. quays. Thankfully I was watching them.
    Traffic on the whole was fine and generally courteous but it's early days yet, I guess.
    Went home via Chesterfield Ave in the Phoenix Park which was a nice spin. A fair few cyclists about. I do think the cars need to go though. Having two gardai at the Castleknock gate directing traffic isn't good value for taxpayers money either.
    The most noticable thing about the spin was that no matter what direction I was going, the wind felt as if it was coming towards me :(
    Plus I need to remind myself that Summer is over and short sleeve jerseys aren't ideal.

Edit: meant to add how as I was coming in the N4 past Heuston, the air pollution became quite noticeable. You get used to having cleaner air!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Decided to give the climbing legs a good workout as they'd been relaxing under the bed for the last few months. Ticknock was a bit of a wake-up call, Kilmashogue, as tough as I remember it, but after heading up to the Featherbeds and down to Glenasmole, Cunard didn't seem too bad at all. I decided to head on to my 20k limit at Glencree (cafe still closed) and down towards Enniskerry before tackling the Devil's Elbow from the south for the first time. There's a sharp bend and climb just after the bridge (the elbow I presume) that had me looking for another gear but luckily I made it through before continuing on up to Johnnie Fox's, the Blue Light and Lamb Doyles. In better times, a pint and a sandwich would have been a good reward for 1600m of climbing but I had to make do with another oaty bar instead. Overall 80km on the clock when I got home northside and an average of 21kph.
    You missed it by a day! The Armoury Cafe reopens for takeaway tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Had a grand spin today with some clubmates. 65km @32kph around the Enfield /Trim direction. It was great to get out and have the chat and not worry about being more than 5km from the house.
    I'm mad jealous of all ye Dubs getting up the hills. Flat and fast spins are good fun but I am really craving some uppage. I might have to start commuting from Longwood to Clonee via Blessington :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement