Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Slightly pipped my longest single ride with 154km around Meath / Kildare with three stops 1. For lunch 2. For a cut tyre/puncture at the 50k mark 3. To visit a relative who's back in the country for a few weeks.

Lost the light and made it back to the Phoenix park by headlight.

Pretty well suffering by the end. Forgot to charge the Garmin and had to give it the kiss of life at my relatives house hence the split:

https://www.strava.com/activities/738390241/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1475957971

https://www.strava.com/activities/738545959/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1475958066

Quick Google will lead you to a way to merge the two spins into one by merging the two FIT files from your unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Over to ballyedmund and on to boolavogue, Ferns, back to Gorey. Then headed on to Ballymoney, courtown, the coast road to Ballygarrett, killenagh and home.
    62km Avg 26kmph . Long sleeve today but still in shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

FWIW Perla (pronounced PerWa) "Monca" beer comes in at a stonking 7.6%

You wouldn't know it by the taste. 'Tis lovely.

You will however know about it the next morning, when your body is devoid of fluid.

I had planned a day of wandering around on the bike and staring into nothingness when the opportunities arose. It didn't really happen as planned but I did get to have some time out on my "pondering" rock seat up at the top of the featherbeds, aka Captain Noel Lemass memorial.

It's a lovely spot. the last few time I have been there I have met tourists and offered to take their "family" photos. They do be delighted tbh, and it's nice to be nice.

My day ended short with my Triton T90 from the 1990's shower having a sh1t attack, and me having to some how fix it.

Even I would know that you would attach such a thing to the tiles, and not tile around it.

The pr1cks who installed it didn't though.

What a cnut of a job trying to get the cover off :(

THEY TILED OVER THE SCREWS!

I got there in the end. Without ripping the whole thing off the wall in pure rage, though I came close. Now I just need a "Herbie clip"

Anyways, 32km done with 656m climbed.

Will do better this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Took the fatbike out for a proper spin today. Up the Dodder as far as the reservoirs with a few laps thrown in, then followed the Poddle back into town, followed the Tolka out as far as Blanch and back into town via the Royal Canal, then ended with a bit of madness in the Park. There are some very punishing hills offroad there!

115km @ a sluggish 17km/h. Glorious day out there today!

https://www.strava.com/activities/739741171

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got my first ever overall ranking on a segment on strava yesterday - 6th overall.
    only 49 efforts on that segment, and it's only 200m long, but it's a start.

• Advertisement

Ballymac loop today from Kilsheelan at a handy pace bar a couple of breakouts here n there as the "road captain" had to cut short his spin so lads were impatient at times. ..

We also had a lad whose crank fell off after a GCN home crank change, could have been very dangerous for him and us if it happened at pace. ..

118km at 29km Aug with alot of it in Z2 & Z3.

Trainer road beckons for me after next week, decided to try follow a plan to help with early Spring racing if it do decide to try a few one day races.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Headed out after work for a spin yestetday 57k up cruagh rd and on up over Sally's gap and home to tallaght ,underestimated how quick the sun and temperature would drop.luckily had lights with me but definitely could of done with a jacket and my feet were like ice.will head up again today after work but I'll be more prepared this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/744219027

After 6 nights I have 2 days off so instead of going to bed after dropping the kids at school I headed out for a spin. I cycled to work the first 4 nights but drove the last 2 as I felt fatigued, but needed to make the most of the decent weather today. Felt good to be on normal tyres after commuting on Tannus solid tyres all week, and was surprised at how much quicker I felt today. Got several PR's including up the steep side of Howth, which amazed me as I'm never good on hills. Should have put shoe covers on as my feet were freezing by the time I got back, but apart from that, a great morning.

75Km @ 28km/h.

To Killenagh? Ballyedmund, boolavogue, ratheenduff, oulart, out the wexford road, left for Blackwater, kilmuckridge home.

55 km Avg 25.5kph
    Back roads were very messy after the heavy rain and cattle being moved, they master walking and schitting :)
    Tried out new shoes acquisition, nice shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

Good honest 80km in the rain. (Well it was lashing as I left the house, quite pleasant near the end) Rathfarnum, Embankment, blessington, home. Not too many others on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was out this morning. Early. Very early. And it was biblical!

Only that I was up with a 1 year old any ways I would have been very happy to stay in bed.

Interesting ride all the same. Stoped to help a lad who I found passed out on the street. I think he was just drunk. He was also very wet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tell us you didn't bring the one-year-old with you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Chuchote wrote: »
    Tell us you didn't bring the one-year-old with you!

She loves bike rides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Up at 4.30 to cycle to work this morning. After probably my slowest commute yet - due to tired legs, strong winds and a hangover - I arrived at work literally seconds before a biblical downpour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out to Maynooth by the Royal Canal path (going by the Deep Sinking was a bad idea this time of year!) and back down the Grand Canal path via Leixlip and Lucan. 64km, headwind going out was a killer and the bike is now caked in mud.

https://www.strava.com/activities/746686101

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took the mountain bike out for a quick recommissioning spin (i plan on using it to start cycling to work again).
    my main mistake was wearing the btwin winter jacket i'd bought in decathlon. i was way too bloody warm. windy out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

took the mountain bike out for a quick recommissioning spin (i plan on using it to start cycling to work again).
    my main mistake was wearing the btwin winter jacket i'd bought in decathlon. i was way too bloody warm. windy out there.

Same, only had a couple of hours to spare today and grabbed the heavy aldi winter jacket which was a mistake. Also managed to get attacked by a couple of terriers coming up the hill from Kilternan to Johnny Foxes which made my already sweaty self even sweatier still, and the hills were alive with some pretty florid language from yours truly which thankfully sent the mutts scurrying off. On the plus side, new brake pads are working a treat and at last the disc brakes are feeling like the disc brakes everyone raves about. Blowy enough out, but great weather for cycling all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Took my own old MTB out for the first time in 7 years today. I was pleasantly surprised at how little I had to do to make it roadworthy again. A deep clean, a bit of lubrication, new rear tyre and a new chain and I was good to go. Felt weird - very soft and heavy and very low geared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ballyshannon kinlough benwisken grange mullghmore head ballyshnnon

some heavy rain

new verge baltic jacket held off most of rain !

yeah, the gappy gearing was a bit odd - it's a 9 speed freewheel on it, i guess maybe 13-32. i just lubed the chain a bit, and the only problems i had were unclipping on one side (spd) - turns out the cleat had come loose on my shoe, nowt to do with the bike; a slight metallic rattle i've not isolated yet; and the saddle was sloped way too far forward, and i didn't have an allen key with me.
    the bike has been criminally underused - it's a 2002 (i think) stumpjumper hardtail, i've got slicks on it which are 23 years old and not a bother on them.

• Advertisement

70km solo yesterday with practically all in Z2, handy pace, 27.7km avg, but oddly felt like I'd been hit by a bus after it, legs & body were achy.

Been taking it easy last few weeks due to new working hours plus senior club men have suggested this is low intensity time of year but as I am a big fat lad at 106kgs I have to keep intensity so tonight I hit the turbo for a session of sorts to get a sweat up.

15min warm up, 30 seconds max effort with 4mins easy between each max effort, did 4 max effort for a 30 min session. Really need to get more sessions like so in and harder as I really have to shift at least 10kgs before the Spring to see decent second year improvement.

Anyone got some good Turbo session so they like?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Took my own old MTB out for the first time in 7 years today. I was pleasantly surprised at how little I had to do to make it roadworthy again. A deep clean, a bit of lubrication, new rear tyre and a new chain and I was good to go. Felt weird - very soft and heavy and very low geared.

Took my new (to me) mtb for it's first spin today...the 740mm bars feel so strange, not sure I'll get used to them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Longer than normal club spin today to mark the end of the Summer season, roundabout route to Blessington, Sorrell Hill, lunch in Kippure estate, Bohernabreena, the Lamb and home.

Breezy day out but the showers kept away, nice to get across some of the roads we don't normally travel.

https://www.strava.com/activities/746659382

130km, 2000m though I think the garmin might have kind to me on the climbing total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went out for a spin this evening. Nothing too strenuous. Longwood- Edenderry and back. 40km ish. I say nothing too strenuous but I felt like absolute shíte for the first half of the ride. Headwind did me no favours, I was struggling right from the start, gasping for breath on the first tiny incline I hit. A far cry from the Angliru!!!
    Now I know I've scaled back a bit the last fortnight or so, only really had one spin in 2 weeks and barely got out of my comfort zone but I really felt like I've gone waaaay backward. I don't know how but I've also managed to put on 3kg.
    I did manage a couple of wind assisted PRs on the return leg but methinks I'll be needing to do a few midweek turbo sessions and eat some salad or other healthy stuff. And less chocolate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/746886705

colm18 wrote: »
    Took my new (to me) mtb for it's first spin today...the 740mm bars feel so strange, not sure I'll get used to them :eek:
    this is another thing i find odd about MTBs. only one hand position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Went out for a spin this evening. Nothing too strenuous. Longwood- Edenderry and back. 40km ish. I say nothing too strenuous but I felt like absolute shíte for the first half of the ride. Headwind did me no favours, I was struggling right from the start, gasping for breath on the first tiny incline I hit. A far cry from the Angliru!!!
    Now I know I've scaled back a bit the last fortnight or so, only really had one spin in 2 weeks and barely got out of my comfort zone but I really felt like I've gone waaaay backward. I don't know how but I've also managed to put on 3kg.
    I did manage a couple of wind assisted PRs on the return leg but methinks I'll be needing to do a few midweek turbo sessions and eat some salad or other healthy stuff. And less chocolate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/746886705

I'v always found a spin after a bit of a break to be hard, especially the first 30 or 40km, add in a headwind and I'm not surprised you felt miserable, the legs will come back quick enough, the 3kg could be another matter, much easier to get them than to get rid of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

nilhg wrote: »
    I'v always found a spin after a bit of a break to be hard, especially the first 30 or 40km, add in a headwind and I'm not surprised you felt miserable, the legs will come back quick enough, the 3kg could be another matter, much easier to get them than to get rid of them.....

Just looking over what I've done in the last few weeks and apart from my holiday spins I've actually done a fair bit less in the last 2 months than I'd usually be doing. I think I took the whole "Taper" thing a bit to far :D
    Good excuse to start a steady winter program now though, I've pretty much acchieved my goals for the year and de-trained enough now so back to building the base from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

80km charity spin today. At tea stop at 40 came back to bike and a puncture awaited me, changed it and got 8 km out the road and had another one on same tyre. Changed again, couldnt fupping find anything in tyre or rim. Did next 20 in a temper with a club mate,went very hard -38 avg for that 20 between the two of us. Got back onto a group of clubmates who were minding a junior who was struggling.
    Four punctures in two week on same wheel and still can't see anything.

shaka wrote: »
    80km charity spin today. At tea stop at 40 came back to bike and a puncture awaited me, changed it and got 8 km out the road and had another one on same tyre. Changed again, couldnt fupping find anything in tyre or rim. Did next 20 in a temper with a club mate,went very hard -38 avg for that 20 between the two of us. Got back onto a group of clubmates who were minding a junior who was struggling.
    Four punctures in two week on same wheel and still can't see anything.

Check the rim tape... I have history with rim tape.. 8 punctures over a 3 to 4 week period.. checked everything but the rim tape... changed rim tape and I'm not saying it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Still in shorts and jersey, but definitely needed the light gloves this morning in Dublin. I'll have the Gabba in regular use soon enough I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement