Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A little more exploring around North County Dublin today, the tailwind was lovely :D

https://www.relive.cc/view/747861896

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Took the scenic route today:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

short for time as usual but took it handy as I felt tired. Cool out this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/748361334

@P1 that relive site looks good - just signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

short for time as usual but took it handy as I felt tired. Cool out this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/748361334....
    We met between Lusk and Blake's Cross - I was on my way to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's always aggravating when the stiff headwind on your outbound leg drops off so you don't get the benefit of the tailwind on the return leg.
    38km, 27.4 average. nice evening for it otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Had my first proper fall on Monday, Ive come off the bike MTBing but thats part of the parcel :pac:. Started to piss rain, slight incline into a mini roundabout coming in too hot and eejit here panicked and locked up the rear brake. Bike just went out from under me and I slid on my side. Bit sore still but my ego cam off the worst having to stand up and do the bike walk of shame in front of everyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up to the Hell fire club to have a look at the excavations going on there. Had hoped to meet my brother in-law who's on the dig but just missed him, still a great excuse to get some fresh air and gravel under the wheels. Lovely Autumn weather, hopefully it sticks around for the weekend.

We met between Lusk and Blake's Cross - I was on my way to work.

You were on a white bike?
    Only saw two or three cyclists all morning and one was around that area with a white van overtaking you as we passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Beautiful morning for a spin. 50km around NCD. Sunshine, no wind, just the occasional mud crusted roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You were on a white bike?
    Only saw two or three cyclists all morning and one was around that area with a white van overtaking you as we passed?
    Yup - that was myself! (and the passing white van driver was a fellow cyclist/club member!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Tough day on the bike.

Firhouse>Templeogue>KCR>"Back roads" to Fumbally Lane. And the reverse home with a bit of walking the bike at some serious pinch points.

Considering the bike is a Pendleton Ladies bike that weighs about 15kg, nevermind all the crap that was in bags etc, I think my better half did well.

Plus she beat "her bus" there, and the same on the homeward journey.

Very proud of her.

Well done love, you did well.

Plus, I've just ordered you a set of Roubaix Vision IV Gloves as I'd like mine back :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tough day on the bike.

Firhouse>Templeogue>KCR>"Back roads" to Fumbally Lane. And the reverse home with a bit of walking the bike at some serious pinch points.

Considering the bike is a Pendleton Ladies bike that weighs about 15kg, nevermind all the crap that was in bags etc, I think my better half did well.

Plus she beat "her bus" there, and the same on the homeward journey.

Very proud of her.

Well done love, you did well.

Plus, I've just ordered you a set of Roubaix Vision IV Gloves as I'd like mine back :o

They look nice. I think I may need to order some based on your recommendations

https://www.relive.cc/view/750400019?r=wa

Lovely morning for a spin and found an extension to my route I like, to make it up to a nice round 50km

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Had the morning off work so I headed out early. Tallaght up to manor Kilbride and on up to Sally gap. Decided to give kippure a go.bit faster than last time I did it but not by much.that descent isn't nice ar all. Came across a film crew up there but not sure what was been filmed.got 60k in .legs are feeling it now. Need to get more hills in this winter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

60km tootling around NCD (Zone 2 as per Lenny ;) )

Brings me to 9,999kms for the year !!

If I'd known I was that close I'd have done the extra one....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wore one of the winter jackets i picked up in aldi today. that was a mistake, it was much warmer than i expected.
    the funny thing about being relatively fit again is that i now measure how much effort i'm putting in by how much i'm sweating rather than how tired i'm getting.
    45km, out to ratoath and back via kilbride, 28km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

RobFowl wrote: »
    60km tootling around NCD (Zone 2 as per Lenny ;) )

Brings me to 9,999kms for the year !!

If I'd known I was that close I'd have done the extra one....

Well done on the 9999km! Im on 9895km for the year so far and I'm fried from it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

100km spin before breakfast. Cold but very calm.

Going through the Phonix Park the scenery was magnificent. Fog rising of the 12 acres and the deer lit up by the rising sun. Fairly class looking. Lots of people out taking photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Big loop around Laois with one of the lads from the club, Emo, Mountmellick, Clonaslee, The Cut, Mountrath, Abbeyleix, The Swan, Newtown, then back into Kildare at Athy for the last leg home, had a little time in hand after I left Niall so took a little diversion to fill it out to 160km.

A smashing day out, didn't quite get the wind direction right so the Mountrath-Newtown leg was more into a headwind than we expected and didn't get the push home that would have been nice but nice to have dry roads and bright conditions.

https://www.strava.com/activities/752406025

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from Kilnamanagh to Blessington and on out till I had 30 km up and straight back main road to Kilnamanagh. 60 km and 27kmph Avg.
    I'd usually head around the lakes bit this morning I just fancied staying on main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

this is another thing i find odd about MTBs. only one hand position.

Fit bar ends so you'll have two. I also hold onto the bars closer to the stem, centre on flat sections if I'm trying to up the pace a little. So that's 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    100km spin before breakfast. Cold but very calm.

Going through the Phonix Park the scenery was magnificent. Fog rising of the 12 acres and the deer lit up by the rising sun. Fairly class looking. Lots of people out taking photos.

Are you eating since?

IME eating well immediately after a long fasted ride makes going mental on junk later in day much less likely.

Great way to start day,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Haven't been on the bike since September 18th, back out this morning for 50km taking 4 loops of be black hills. Felt good to be out again and happy a little rain fell so I won't be scared off by grey clouds next time.

Legs and body were tired after but a good tired

Also ran both my new watch and my Garmin so I can do a side by side for accuracy of optical heart rate and chest strap

ford2600 wrote: »
    Are you eating since?

IME eating well immediately after a long fasted ride makes going mental on junk later in day much less likely.

Great way to start day,

I had a proper recovery after. Not the best day food wise but generally decent other than the 8 pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

After finishing my night shift at 9.30 ,out for a ride around Inistioge/woodstock estate n mount Alto top,managed to top 30k and the bikes total now over the 1000 k .
    Should be ready for the NIRE VALLEY DROP next week now. Did it last in 2014 with my hernia ,all repaired now so should be more fun this year.
    Plus my youngest n oldest sons doing it with me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Got out for a spin in the very windy southeast. To Killenagh , ballyedmund, boolavogue, ratheenduff, kilmuckridge and home. 45 km the Avg was a bit immaterial today, met and stayed with one of the older ladies that cycles down here, had an old natter.We then met up with a few others and I headed off for home. We are only a few miles in from coast here, strong cold wind coming in off the sea.

Ps I tend to forget my age these days.. the older lady I met is on reflection only about 4 years older than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Up to the viewing point and Hellfire, back home through Massey's Woods. That wind made it a bit grim at times. 45km at a sluggish 16km/h on the fat bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/753557060

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Went up to Sally Gap via Ballinascorney, then Talbotstown, turning left at the 13km to the Gap crossroads.
    Weather was fecking miserable (at least it felt like that to me) with rain, cold and a strong headwind at very stages on the way up. I was baltic and not enjoying it! Was looking forward to today, trying out a nice new (to me) warm gilet I got in Girona, second hand Craft Orica Greenendge one that belonged to one of their riders, Michael or Matthew something. But even that didnt keep the heat it.
    Was a tough ride home down by viewpoint and montpellier hill/gunny hill, I had some absolute ****tard in a black audi estate behind me down from before the hell fire club, I could tell he was getting annoyed on gunny hill so I stuck my arm out about 400 metres in advance of my right turn, on which he immediately started to rev and beep me. Nobody ever overtakes a bicycle coming down those hills in my experience, and Ive been down both 100s of times, so I was doing nothing wrong. This is the **** that results from the media stoking the fires of the cyclist-motorist 'war' and it will result in fatalities without a doubt imho. I was incensed, gunny hill is a tough descent at the best of times, without some twat tailgating you and trying to unsettle you.
    Was glad to get home after that. Should have stayed in bed today.
    56km at about 23kmph average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

terrydel wrote: »
    Went up to Sally Gap via Ballinascorney, then Talbotstown, turning left at the 13km to the Gap crossroads.
    Weather was fecking miserable (at least it felt like that to me) with rain, cold and a strong headwind at very stages on the way up. I was baltic and not enjoying it! Was looking forward to today, trying out a nice new (to me) warm gilet I got in Girona, second hand Craft Orica Greenendge one that belonged to one of their riders, Michael or Matthew something. But even that didnt keep the heat it.
    Was a tough ride home down by viewpoint and montpellier hill/gunny hill, I had some absolute ****tard in a black audi estate behind me down from before the hell fire club, I could tell he was getting annoyed on gunny hill so I stuck my arm out about 400 metres in advance of my right turn, on which he immediately started to rev and beep me. Nobody ever overtakes a bicycle coming down those hills in my experience, and Ive been down both 100s of times, so I was doing nothing wrong. This is the **** that results from the media stoking the fires of the cyclist-motorist 'war' and it will result in fatalities without a doubt imho. I was incensed, gunny hill is a tough descent at the best of times, without some twat tailgating you and trying to unsettle you.
    Was glad to get home after that. Should have stayed in bed today.
    56km at about 23kmph average.

I have in cases like this just stopped, got off the bike and let the driver pass. It's a pain but far less hassle and puts you at ease not having people revving behind you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have in cases like this just stopped, got off the bike and let the driver pass. It's a pain but far less hassle and puts you at ease not having people revving behind you

I think it's a dangerous precedent to let a car bully you off the road. If you reward that behavior they may beep/rev and come closer to the next cyclist who refuses to dismount. Hold your line leaving room to swerve to the left in case of obstacles and go at whatever pace you are comfortable with. The car will get by you just fine when it is safe to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement