Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

To Gorey for meet up, Carnew, tinahely , Aughrim woodenbridge Arklow and back to Gorey. 77km avg 30.5 kph including warm up spin. The Gorey to Gorey avg was 31.3 kph.
    A cool down home from Gorey 8km avg 31.7kph
    Beautiful day except for stiff North east wind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    52 kmph. Thought I was nicking a KoM somewhere near Ashbourne as I was well ahead of what I thought it was, but someone else had completely smashed it only on Friday
    i was thinking of having a crack at that myself today, given the wind direction, but never got round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I didn't cycle today but happened to drive the R108 which passed the scene of yesterday's tragic accident. On the way I saw some profound things I'll share

The first near the Ballymun NCT centre was the sight of rider who only had one arm. It was without the most humbling and amazing sight I've seen in a good while. This gentleman has my wholehearted admiration and if anyone here should know him, please do say he's got a very big fan here. He is a very capable cyclist and rode perfectly.

Beyond that I passed yesterday's tragic spot and there were some people gathered there with flowers. It looked very sad and sobering.

A few seconds after I passed that spot and on a perfectly straight stretch of road, an old purple Fiesta piloted by a boy racer flew towards me with its engine roaring it's head off, perhaps a few RPM away from destruction. I flashed my lights to slow him down as yesterday's accident site was around the bend. He saw fit to give me the middle finger but never once did I see those brake lights come on as he disappeared around the bend.

All that, in the space two miles or so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The first near the Ballymun NCT centre was the sight of rider who only had one arm. It was without the most humbling and amazing sight I've seen in a good while. This gentleman has my wholehearted admiration and if anyone here should know him, please do say he's got a very big fan here. He is a very capable cyclist and rode perfectly.
    assuming it's the same guy - a chap i know went out with his club after a long layoff on the bike and was struggling up a hill near the end of the spin when a chap - i presume the chap above - put his hand on my friend's back and gave him a helping push up the hill. my mate was humbled but very glad of the assist!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

took the young lad for a spin at Belmont bike trails yesterday (between Bray and Greystones - well worth a trip). As we were heading back to the carpark I turned around to check he was still with me and bang, straight down into the gravel I go. Not sure if I've cracked a rib, but it certainly feels like it (and apparently it doesn't make much difference either way, there's not a lot you can do other than wait for it to heal). Annoying, I was finally getting some fitness back after getting lazy over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Half (70km) of the grass roads grand fondo in Tipp , had to bail to be home early . Savage route , will give it a blast again over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I didn't cycle today but I watched Conor Dunne's latest GCN video - of him attempting Donegal 555. Amazing and well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ATJwJXSN4

The route looks brutal, and that Innishowen loop in itself is very challenging and that's only a quarter of the overall distance. And to think folks finish that in 17-20 hours.. unreal!!

What I would really love to see on GCN would be an ultra ride with Conor and our own NamelessPhil. Now THAT would be epic!! :D

Just watched it, great fun reading the comments, about half of which are 'i can't understand what the guys in the car were saying'.

I was 100% committed to pulling the trigger on the 105 version of that bike a short while back . Obrea told me November then April next year. Yeah good luck with trying to sell me a '21 re-branded '22 next April :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got in a 48km at 27.7kph cycle today, even though it was cool standing around, I found myself sweating buckets while moving.
    Drimnagh, Navan Road, Cloner, Lucan, Newcastle, and home via the N7.
    Wind was fairly okay for most, but got caught in a few spots.

https://strava.app.link/zHl2Op4FW9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

50km yesterday morning. <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='https://www.strava.com/activities/4086178744/embed/541a24f872ee914e79df72c9c8259f23daa72aa8'&gt;

i had only wanted to do 30 steady to loosen the legs for a gaa game last night. not my smartest move!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ Correct Link = https://www.strava.com/activities/4086178744

That's a nice route Kevhog. I drove down that way yesterday morning along the old N4 heading to a minor hurling match. Absolutley loads out along there - both groups and individuals.

^^^ Correct Link = https://www.strava.com/activities/4086178744

That's a nice route Kevhog. I drove down that way yesterday morning along the old N4 heading to a minor hurling match. Absolutley loads out along there - both groups and individuals.

It is a nice spin. What hurling game were you at?. i met the b group of my club (team 905) when going through Enfield and there must of been 20 together.

No more sunday spins for me for a few weeks. Were playing the county semi final this sunday

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    It is a nice spin. What hurling game were you at?. i met the b group of my club (team 905) when going through Enfield and there must of been 20 together.

No more sunday spins for me for a few weeks. Were playing the county semi final this sunday
    The young fella had a challenge game against Raharney yesterday.
    Confey lost but we also started with one less player (don't ask!)

The young fella had a challenge game against Raharney yesterday.
    Confey lost but we also started with one less player (don't ask!)

I used to go to the gym in Confey for a while, Lovely setup over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Nothing to get excited about but worth throwing up just to act as another non NCD cycle lol.

Cloughduv, Crookstown, Beal na Blath, past the Micheal Collins memorial, into Newcestown, Bengour, then looping back towards Beal na Blath, Crookstown, onto the N22 for a few kms and back into Cloughduv for a nice 30kms, 73mins averaging 24.6kph and 225m gained
    Lovely morning for a cycle, if a little warm.
    The hills are killing me tho, there's a couple on this route that I can't physically make it up without stopping for a quick breather. Hopefully as my fitness improves and my belly shrinks I might make it round in one go without a break.

https://strava.app.link/oAhvQ3kCX9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GazzaL wrote: »
    Anyone on here cycle into the back of a car today and cycle off without giving their details to the driver?

I did, oh wait, no, a car skimmed me and drove off without stopping. You don't know who it was do you? Maybe I should go over to Motors with a vague and unsubstantiated claim about an accident that it isn't clear where it happened, or any other info, Do you think you could ask around? I am sure you know who it was, shure why wouldn't you :rolleyes:

A short recovery spin this evening. Up to Ballyedmund left out the main road, left for Screen , Curracloe and back along the coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home.
    46 km avg 27.5kph 500 odd meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

secman wrote: »
    A short recovery spin this evening. Up to Ballyedmund left out the main road, left for Screen , Curracloe and back along the coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home.
    46 km avg 27.5kph 500 odd meters.

Do you get much traffic out those roads?

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Do you get much traffic out those roads?

Started around 5pm, a bit of traffic on main road, nothing mad, likewise on coast road, in fairness wide passes were the order of the day, no close passes.

the evenings are drawing in fast now, won't be too many countryside evening spins left.

i was nearly witness to what would have been an amusing collision earlier. they're working on the road (again) between the naul and ballyboughal, and on the ballyboughal side of the nag's head i got caught at temporary traffic lights. the roadworks meant we were using the oncoming lane when we had the green, so i set off at a reasonable clip so as not to delay the car behind me, and when we passed the end of the roadworks, i pulled back into the normal lane and the guy in the car behind me floored it to get past me. except he'd forgotten that there would be a temporary traffic light at this end of the roadworks too, and as there were no cars waiting at it (and it was facing away from us) he only spotted it with (rough guess) 30m to spare. at least he found out his brakes work under heavy load.

also got a hearty 'fair play' from a former minister for health out for a walk, as i passed and greeted in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

In an unusual move I hit the S2S of a Tuesday night. Getting faster I think and the hills in howth aren't the monster they were a few weeks back. If I can only shift a few pounds more I should be able to fly up them. I'm fast on the flats, woeful on the hills.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I'm fast on the flats, woeful on the hills.
    Practice makes perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Practice makes perfect!

I'm practicing 6 years now and still crap on the hills. I can keep up on club spins of 28 averages, 90k distances no problem but throw in a hill and I'm so I far behind everyone else

I'm practicing 6 years now and still crap on the hills. I can keep up on club spins of 28 averages, 90k distances no problem but throw in a hill and I'm so I far behind everyone else

I'm a big guy - 6'4" and just shy of 14 stone - but I'm very strong on the hills and can keep up with guys three stone lighter but don't seem to enjoy the flats as much. Maybe I'm not very aerodynamic because of my size. Amazing how we all have different strengths.

Anyway, got out for what is probably my last evening spin last night. Weather and light closed in very quickly and had to cut off early, getting just 40k in. It's a pity as I have very small kids so my only chance to get out now, weather permitting, for the foreseeable is on Sunday mornings.

However, I have an electrician coming to put power into my shed so I'll hopefully get lots done on the trainer this winter!

Have you practiced getting in and out of the saddle? I had an irrational fear of getting out of the saddle before and was a big gear grinder on the hills but based on some research and tips from here I spend plenty of time out of the saddle now and it has transformed my climbing. Maybe something to look into.

I have a lot of love for hills. In groups, I find myself ahead of the others early on and can hold position. They can be a challenge, but a satisfying one.
    Don't like going up them though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Hi, hope I’m welcome here - I pootle around at the weekend doing barely 5km a time so this isn’t about me.

Just wanted to share a few days ago I saw a family out cycling near me - mum in front followed by three kids then dad. It was the sweetest thing and they all looked so happy!

So much better than the kids being cooped up in screens!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

^^ Agreed. You will see that type of happy moments frequently at the Boyne canal path from Drogheda to Oldbridge as well, such a positive thing to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement