Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

Got out at first light for a solo 85k at 29kph with 1000 climbing. Heavy frost and 1 degree when leaving. Went with overshoes, shorts, gloves, base layer and long sleeve jersey and got it just about right. Absolutely stunning morning for a spin.

Passed a guy heading out the road early into cycle and was travelling a few k faster than him. Gave a big wave and a 'good morning' and got nothing back. Realised then he had latched on to my back wheel, and weirdly, he hung in without saying as much as a word for a few k. I put the boot down after a while and dropped him as punishment for being so odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Just a short 38km this morning. Beautiful morning, had already climbed to 10C by the time I left. I don't think I've seen so many cyclists on the road in years, the Seamus Ennis centre was packed as I passed by.

Just a short 38km this morning. Beautiful morning, had already climbed to 10C by the time I left. I don't think I've seen so many cyclists on the road in years, the Seamus Ennis centre was packed as I passed by.

I've never seen as many cyclists out on the road as the last few Sundays. Combination of the TDF being on and the beautiful weather I would imagine. I've also seen lots of newcomers to cycling on the roads which is fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, definitely a lot of people new to cycling. Quite a few over 60s and over 70s too I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Perfect day for cycling a good number out around dunboyne summerhill road area today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Got out at first light for a solo 85k at 29kph with 1000 climbing. Heavy frost and 1 degree when leaving. Went with overshoes, shorts, gloves, base layer and long sleeve jersey and got it just about right. Absolutely stunning morning for a spin.

Passed a guy heading out the road early into cycle and was travelling a few k faster than him. Gave a big wave and a 'good morning' and got nothing back. Realised then he had latched on to my back wheel, and weirdly, he hung in without saying as much as a word for a few k. I put the boot down after a while and dropped him as punishment for being so odd.

He probably thought you were weird for saying hello! You actually get a lot of that nowadays , it’s like I don’t know you so won’t even say hello back . Always nice to drop them, like you did after him sitting on your wheel like that
    Doesn’t take much to even nod when passing etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yep, definitely a lot of people new to cycling. Quite a few over 60s and over 70s too I reckon.

Between 360 cycles and Howth ( just beyond Sutton) I didn't go into Howth itself I counted 150 cyclists . Between Fairview and 360 I'd probably passed or had pass the other way another 50-60.

They were families, clubs cyclists, a guy and a dog, friends out for a spin, solo folk like me, commuters , young and old. Traffic on the road was not moving so it was even more wonderful to see.

I didn't go out today though, and I keep missing the nice weekend days lately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short one for me today, just 32k with 690m of climbing. Traffic was mental around Cruagh and Tibradden so went onto the Coilte tracks off Pine Forest road on the Wicklow way. Beautiful day out but keeping with the Dublin covid limits was a bit of a chore.

Oberkon wrote: »
    He probably thought you were weird for saying hello! You actually get a lot of that nowadays , it’s like I don’t know you so won’t even say hello back . Always nice to drop them, like you did after him sitting on your wheel like that
    Doesn’t take much to even nod when passing etc

It was about 7.45 am and freezing cold. I would have thought that would be the time for a bit of solidarity with fellow cyclists. Maybe he got the hump because I passed him. Would gladly have gone with him for a few k if he would have taken a turn at the front, but I guessed the offer was never going to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I can attest to those age ranges :)

• Advertisement

Gorey to Arklow, woodenbridge, Avoca, towards Rathdrum, taking 2nd turn for Ballinaclash , Aughrim, woodenbridge Arklow and back to Gorey. 78 km , 32.3 kph 600 odd metres
    Glorious cycling weather one the sun rose and burnt off the frost. Long sleeve base, summer kit, Gillet and overshoes to keep toes warm. Once my feet are toasty my brain assumes im warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I love a chase me. Left Summerhill in the Dunboyne direction with 2 cyclists about 600m in front of me. Didn't think to chase until I 'started calculating' if the gap was shrinking. Kept them in sight for a few km and though it was getting a bit smaller. I wasn't aware but they saw me behind and decided to keep the pace up. They tired before I did and caught them on the little drag up to Mullagh. I acknowledged them and went on down over that hill. Turned right at the 90degree turn for Blackhall and was expecting the chase, but alas they must have went straight on. Fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

One for the Joe Duffy brigade today...
    A couple of us on the Sunday club spin got in behind a big tractor with a load of round bales just outside of Johnstownbridge and got a draft the whole way through Edenderry and on to Daingean. Nearly 30km surfing along at 40kmh, not even breaking a sweat. I'm sure there will be some out there who frown upon such carry on but it was pure bliss. Only for we'd agreed to have our coffee stop there we could have ended up in Roscrea :D:D:D
    Did the rest of the spin at a decent enough pace too so ended up with about 115km @ 34.5kmh average and only felt like I'd done half that.
    Yaay for tractors!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yesterday morning was a solo 83km with about 865m climbing around south KK. Some lovely backroads between Ferrybank and New Ross. There's a fair amount of climbing as the road zigzags up and down the hill, but it's all long, draggy and very manageable on quiet, for the most part well surfaced roads, with nice scenery. More challenging was the road from New Ross across to Mullinavat which had a couple of testing sections on in. First was what started off as a steady 8% ramping up to 12% for probably a bit over a kilometre, then after a bit of a descent came a knee breaker of a steady 10-13% for the best part of km before easing back to something a bit more reasonable for another bit.

Glorious day and definitely one for layers. It was about 4 degrees when I left, 14 when I got back. Mistral was perfect for both extremes, and I was grand for the most part in shorts, but fingers and toes would have benefited from heavier gloves and overshoes respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Been doing a lot more climbing this year, lost a few kg as well (91->87), and feeling quite spritely these days.

Went out this morning for a quick spin, (Dublin south city, Cruagh, Glencullen, Stepaside, Leopardstown, Blackrock & home) - only 36km with 451m climbing, but broke 12 PRs, all on climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

had a free 2 hours so grabbed the gear and hopped on the bike for 30km in pure sunshine on quiet country roads Co Limerick. Most of my spins are spent trying to stay with the group so today was just me and the bike, didn't turn on the speedo and concentrated on heart rate instead. Came in at a 22 average which I haven't done in years apart from the odd spin with a beginner but it was so good to just cycle for enjoyment rather than chasing groups, pbs and training schedules.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

had a free 2 hours so grabbed the gear and hopped on the bike for 30km in pure sunshine on quiet country roads Co Limerick. Most of my spins are spent trying to stay with the group so today was just me and the bike, didn't turn on the speedo and concentrated on heart rate instead. Came in at a 22 average which I haven't done in years apart from the odd spin with a beginner but it was so good to just cycle for enjoyment rather than chasing groups, pbs and training schedules.
    I assume that the 22 average is your speed rather than your heart rate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

70km around NCD midday as it was a glorious day for it.
    No incidents or drama, just a nice enjoyable couple of hours to myself

Actually I found traffic in general to be the quietest it's been for a while today when I was out for just a plod for an hour or so. Not lock down quiet by any stretch but noticeably quieter than I've seen in the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Got my first proper 50km done today.
    Picked a slightly easier route than normal as my usual loops are all around 30km.
    Left home, onto the N22, down passed the Gearagh and just beyond Toons Bridge to hit 25kms. I stopped, turned around, quick breakfast bar and a drink in Toons Bridge and hit the road home again.
    I struggled a little around the 40km mark as there was a bit of a breeze in my face but persevered and it seemed to dissappear again. Finished the last few kms stronger than I expected and made it home.
    Ended up doing 50.6kms in 1:57 @ 25.9kph.
    Very happy with that.

https://strava.app.link/1dqYYIEjbab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

70km around Poulaphouca with my daughter. I surrendered all jerseys and dignities, and seek consolation in having trucked around an extra 40 kg and 35 years.

(there should be a jersey for fearless weight-assisted down-hill sprints, I'd have won that)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Actually I found traffic in general to be the quietest it's been for a while today when I was out for just a plod for an hour or so. Not lock down quiet by any stretch but noticeably quieter than I've seen in the last month or so.

Funnily enough I said the same thing about the roads in north Wicklow when I got home earlier. Oddly the back roads around here have been very heavy with traffic lately but not today.

A glorious day and no issues - bliss.

I assume that the 22 average is your speed rather than your heart rate ;)

Ya, sorry should have been clearer. 22kph average speed and in zone 3 for majority of the spin. Could breath and talk (to myself) fairly nicely. Normally on spins, I'm breathless for majority of the kms.

Normally on spins, I'm breathless for majority of the kms.
    Keep an eye on that. I'm not a medic or anything but you shouldn't be that breathless from some exercise.

Templeville, a few twisting a climbing roads... eventually up Stocking lane, up by hellfire to viewing point, over to Cunard descent , a few more twists and turns out on to ballinascorney and home.
    41 km 650 meters avg a mere 21kph. A short sharp climbing spin in pure darkness.....

Keep an eye on that. I'm not a medic or anything but you shouldn't be that breathless from some exercise.

Yip, thanks. I'm trying to get a handle on my heart rate & zones. While I'm able to do 80km distances with the group, maybe it's not the best thing to be in zone 4 for majority of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Got out for this cycle today after a long time off the road, i definitely need to work on my time but glad now that i got out as i have been off the wagon a bit the last while. Some beautiful scenes on the North side, traffic and potholes were a bit of a factor as i was not too familiar with large stretches of the route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Had to pick my car up from the garage this morning. Awful weather last night, was fearing the worst but it was fine this morning.
    Felt good- home before 10am, got exercise & ready for work for the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4131637096

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Great morning for it today and passed several large groups out on the NCD roads. It was so nice I added a few local loops onto the usual spin to make it up to a 100.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4136909860

Passed 8500km for the year, so I'm ahead of my 10000km target :)

• Advertisement

Had to drop my car off to the mechanics this morning so took the opportunity on the way home to get a few hills in (trying to build up my hill abilities).
    Strangely I felt uneasy with most of the downhills what with the damp surfaces and so took them fairly handy (which didn't do my average speed anby favours).
    Depending on the rain this evening, I might head out and do a few crossings of the hills around Kilteel.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4136257035

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement