Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Had to drop my car off to the mechanics this morning so took the opportunity on the way home to get a few hills in (trying to build up my hill abilities).
    Strangely I felt uneasy with most of the downhills what with the damp surfaces and so took them fairly handy (which didn't do my average speed anby favours).
    Depending on the rain this evening, I might head out and do a few crossings of the hills around Kilteel.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4136257035

I spent some time in Lanzarote a couple of years ago and on my second day riding got the dreaded speed wobble and was actively picking a spot in the volcanic ash which dominates the land there.

Thankfully didn't actually crash but didn't enjoy a single descent for the rest of my time there. :(

I spent some time in Lanzarote a couple of years ago and on my second day riding got the dreaded speed wobble and was actively picking a spot in the volcanic ash which dominates the land there.

Thankfully didn't actually crash but didn't enjoy a single descent for the rest of my time there. :(

Came off on a wet descent last Christmas and took me a good five months to get my nerve back. Kept getting irrational fears about my back wheel wobbling even though I knew it was nonsense. Was fearless before that so like to think I'm somewhere in between now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got the dreaded speed wobble and was actively picking a spot in the volcanic ash
    IIRC, volcanic ash is insanely abrasive so i think you were caught between the devil and the deep blue sea with that decision.

IIRC, volcanic ash is insanely abrasive so i think you were caught between the devil and the deep blue sea with that decision.

Exactly! You know how time seems to slow down in intense moments? I was actively thinking which would do the least damage, the asphalt or the volcanic terrain. There was a car coming towards me as well which further complicated matters. Will never forget it. Was doing 79kph at the time and my strava just nosedived immediately after it.

This always enters my head after a 'slo-mo' moment on the bike :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The winter bike has been reactivated and is ready for duty!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The winter bike has been reactivated and is ready for duty!

I'm currently in Boston area.
    Some people have been wearing the winter clothing (jackets/tights/full finger gloves with 2 weeks.

It's still about 14C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I went out and did 12km (I Know, but I’m old!!) and saw my wee family with the kids flanked by mum and dad all cycling happily - all wrapped up!!!

I think the younguns call that “the feels”’

You guys doing hundreds of km - rockstars, stay safe!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out this morning to do my commute (I'm working from home and haven't done it in a while).
    Nearing my workplace (which I didn't go into) I managed to get a puncture :( Put in a new tube and headed off again.
    On the return leg of the journey, I was overtaken on a roundabout by an ignorant impatient driver - https://streamable.com/74sb7w

I'm now remembering why I didn't like the commute and was enjoying working from home.

*ignore the vulgarity within the video which some of you may have come accustomed to by now. Strangely, there was a little bang sound as she overtook me. Not sure what it was but I reckon that she thought I kicked her car (which of course I wouldn't do) which might explain why she slowed down after the overtake and also beeped at me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once kicked up a chipping as a car was passing me, and it smacked quite loudly off the car. the driver was briefly irate until i explained it to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

i once kicked up a chipping as a car was passing me, and it smacked quite loudly off the car. the driver was briefly irate until i explained it to him.

Weird, I have a pocket full of them for similar scenarios!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

Went out this morning to do my commute (I'm working from home and haven't done it in a while).
    Nearing my workplace (which I didn't go into) I managed to get a puncture :( Put in a new tube and headed off again.
    On the return leg of the journey, I was overtaken on a roundabout by an ignorant impatient driver - https://streamable.com/74sb7w

I'm now remembering why I didn't like the commute and was enjoying working from home.

*ignore the vulgarity within the video which some of you may have come accustomed to by now. Strangely, there was a little bang sound as she overtook me. Not sure what it was but I reckon that she thought I kicked her car (which of course I wouldn't do) which might explain why she slowed down after the overtake and also beeped at me.

Watching the clip, when I heard the bang first, I assumed she had hit you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Given the forecast, thought I'd sneak out for a quickie yesterday afternoon. Sun was almost shining, but good and cool. Sadly, one of those days when you can't believe how sluggish you are, when the hills seem covered in velcro and you check that your brakes aren't rubbing - twice. Hadn't been on the bike for 10 days, and really felt it.

Anyway - Deansgrange - Tassie - Kilternan - Enniskerry (love that sweeping descent, love the Scalp too) - steeply up to Curtlestown (the rash of new mini-estates is growing out that way...developer-led speculative planning, totally car-reliant...), up into Glencree, avoid the temptation of the Armoury, cos I've only done 25k, up to the Kippure gate. From there it's either the Gap or the top...so on up to the top of Kippure, passing three young army lads at 5-minute intervals, each carrying a huge pack and a fake rifle made out of square-section metal tubing. Cold. Down again (colder), and then down the Crone wood road - fun! Surfaces up and down Glencree not bad at the mo. Finally up and over into Enniskerry, and home the same way.

First day I've worn toe-warmers over my shoes. A lot handier than overshoes, and pretty effective for cold days. Also wore arm-warmers, but ended up taking them off until the drop off Kippure. A gilet might be the thing (looks into cupboard rammed with other cycling gear - might just squeeze it in there...).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Sunday - London to Banbury
    Monday - Banbury to Bridgnorth
    Tuesday - Bridgnorth to Bala
    Wednesday - Bala to Holyhead + Ferry

485km / 5320m

Wales is beautiful, windy, rainy and hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Managed to get home earlier than usual tonight, took the winter bike out with the new Magic shine light, the one with the strap on battery pack, a good kick out of it, headed to blessington and just to first bridge for Valleymount and back same way.
    51km 29.6 avg and 326 metre

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Got out for another route today, took it at an overall easy pace as there was a couple of stops on route. Fulfill bar held its own on this one as i had skipped breakfast which i was suprised jt was enough. The roll back to Dublin is nothing short of and the view from just above the merry ploughboy over to howth head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Started bad. Got worse.

I thought today was supposed to be nice and tomorrow bad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

This has most likely come up previously in the thread and reading the last few posts has reminded me of cycling to work in a pub on Camden street in the lashings of rain on a dark evening, coming in front of trinity going as hard as i can on the rothar to get to work asap, and then losing complete control of the bike as the wheels came into contact with the luas line, as i tumbled on toward dame street and my bike continued on toward grafton street. I stood up to a couple of OMG are you okay to which a stern im grand was my my only reply, my jacket torn and ankle sprained i limped in to work with a head on me that would be more accostomed to a cell in MJ. All in all them lines are a feckin hazard and it took me a while to regain the confidence on the bike.

Headed into Gorey to meet up,up to Arklow, woodenbridge, Meeting of the waters , up that long drag to Rathdrum, up that right turn just through the village , right at Deputy pass across to the Beehive, back along old n11 to Arklow and back to Gorey. 103 km avg 30.7kph almost 700m
    A coffee stop and a 15km spin home avg 29.6 kph 80 m

Cool at start, was in full winter kit...totally overheated, sweated the bejaysus out of me, cramped for last section from Arklow to Gorey.. but a nice cuppa sorted me, no cramps for 15km home.

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    This has most likely come up previously in the thread and reading the last few posts has reminded me of cycling to work in a pub on Camden street in the lashings of rain on a dark evening, coming in front of trinity going as hard as i can on the rothar to get to work asap, and then losing complete control of the bike as the wheels came into contact with the luas line, as i tumbled on toward dame street and my bike continued on toward grafton street. I stood up to a couple of OMG are you okay to which a stern im grand was my my only reply, my jacket torn and ankle sprained i limped in to work with a head on me that would be more accostomed to a cell in MJ. All in all them lines are a feckin hazard and it took me a while to regain the confidence on the bike.

The current lord Mayor of Dublin had a similar experience and while lying on the ground, a Dublin Bus driver felt the need to blow the horn at her to get her to hurry on and pick herself up.

• Advertisement

Saw the forecast for Sunday so decided to get out first thing this morning. 80K@29kph solo with about 900m climbing around Cork. Wind was in my face all the way home and for some reason I started to feel my quads cramping on a few sharp hills. Bate for the day after as usual but it was a glorious morning so very happy to have gotten out in great weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nice spin yesterday with the club

https://www.strava.com/activities/4144609368

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

There were a million Dubs on bikes around on Saturday morning (including me), despite a chilly day and a fair amount of fog, especially on the Dublin hills. Around the Feather Beds it was 50m viz, and you'd want your lights on. Damp roads kept speed in check, but at least there was no heavy rain and no serious wind...unlike today (when my bike and I stayed dry).

Anyway, met Derek at 0900 for a short early one. Out from Dundrum to the Scalp, up Killegar (nice road, one of my local favourites), left at the end up to Johnny Foxes, up the Pine Forest Road, then Cruagh, Viewing Point, Feather Beds, Glencree. Cold coming down! Sharp left before Enniskerry, into the Devil's Elbow. Crank up the steep bit, then back through Glencullen, left for the Blue Light, down Slate Cottage Lane (which I never knew existed) and back to Dundrum, then home. No records broken - 60k, average not much more than 20, but plenty of uphill!

Hoping it's not 5k circles again soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

brownian wrote: »
    Hoping it's not 5k circles again soon....

+1 on that. Even though the Phoenix Park is within my 5k, it won't be as safe or enjoyable thanks to the increased traffic on the perimeter roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Unusual one today, was spinning up towards Doreys forge and just before the incline I heard a noise to my right, glanced over to see a sheepdog galloping along beside me I didn't have time to wind it up and drop him, but I didn't need to, he went right past me and cut me up into a lane to my left, as the road was damp he lost he footing at the back so picture a Dukes o Hazzard type side skid as the front feet gained traction and back ones slide out. He kept going so Id say he was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Swords to Portmarnock, Portrane, Donabate, Ballyboughal, Oldtown, back to Swords via the airport. 83km in a curse of a wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We were MTBing in Ticknock on Saturday, met a lovely trail dog called "Kinder"(?). Very jealous of her owners.

Whose the better cyclist...kevhog or seth :)

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Whose the better cyclist...kevhog or seth :)
    I'm trying to poach other people's rides to build up my achievements :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement