Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got 60 km in Sunday morning before the rain started , unfit as foooook ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

possibly my last evening spin of the year today; and first outing for my winter bike. rain held off, which was great. it was quite a decent evening, albeit quite breezy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out around N. Kildare (staying in my county) for an afternoon spin of nearly 75km @29.6km/h (only 250m). My Garmin didn't start properly but got it going in the end.
    The wind was strange. I don't think there was much but it felt strong (and it wasn't because I was going fast into it). Maybe I'm just tired.
    Just south of Straffan, I had to pull over for a moment (a work email) and an oncoming car stops and asks if I saw a small tan terrier on my way.
    I hadn't so he did a u-turn and went off. A short while later on a back road, I came across a small tan terrier. Phoned the number on the collar medal and sure enough it was your man. I held onto the dogs collar until he arrived a few minutes later (calling the dog every name under the sun - even I was surprised at the vulgarity :D). Anyhow that was my good deed for the day.
    The weather was grand (wind aside). Arrived home and grabbed a shower. As i look out the window now, its raining; so I guess I was lucky.
    https://strava.app.link/Qj2udOwroab

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Similar to Seth Brundle, I got home just before the rain - thankfully.

I did 78% of the Great Dublin Bike Ride, it was a lovely day for it, even if I did overdress for it.
    First time cycling in NCD since I became an honourary Southside 22 years ago.
    I'd forgotten how beautiful it is cycling along the coast by Portmarnock, Malahide, etc.
    About 300 metres of the GDBR is now a pedestrianised street in Malahide, it was packed despite the protests from business owners, and I had to walk that.
    First time using the protected cycle lane on the North quays, pretty impressed.

78km at 27.5kph (not bad for an auld fella), if it wasn't for the wind, I believe I'd have been faster.

The reason for this course is I hope to do a 100km cycle on or before my 50th in a couple of weeks, and most of my other courses have substantial hills.

https://strava.app.link/3AXMdfUvoab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Similar to Seth Brundle, I got home just before the rain - thankfully.

I did 78% of the Great Dublin Bike Ride, it was a lovely day for it, even if I did overdress for it.
    First time cycling in NCD since I became an honourary Southside 22 years ago.
    I'd forgotten how beautiful it is cycling along the coast by Portmarnock, Malahide, etc.
    About 300 metres of the GDBR is now a pedestrianised street in Malahide, it was packed despite the protests from business owners, and I had to walk that.
    First time using the protected cycle lane on the North quays, pretty impressed.

78km at 27.5kph (not bad for an auld fella), if it wasn't for the wind, I believe I'd have been faster.

The reason for this course is I hope to do a 100km cycle on or before my 50th in a couple of weeks, and most of my other courses have substantial hills.

https://strava.app.link/3AXMdfUvoab

On the malahide bit. Cycle about another 50m and take a right there it'll bring you to the same road and avoid the walking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took a spin out to howth, tried a route up to the summit i'd not done before (after seeing Weepsie had done it recently) - 'Summit car park via Grace O'Malley' on strava. i reckon it's the most consistent way up in terms of gradient. one to climb, but not to descend on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

took a spin out to howth, tried a route up to the summit i'd not done before (after seeing Weepsie had done it recently) - 'Summit car park via Grace O'Malley' on strava. i reckon it's the most consistent way up in terms of gradient. one to climb, but not to descend on.

Funnily enough I was just looking up that route after my run of Howth this morning. Want to find every climb I can there. I've started doing the route up Balscaddin, which is nice for a change, but ends up taking you up a poor trail/path if you take the direct route.

I'll try Summit car park via Grace O'Malley tomorrow so!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Back on Zwift. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

wheelo01 wrote: »
    ....(not bad for an auld fella), .......I hope to do a 100km cycle on or before my 50th in a couple of weeks
    Way too young to be playing the "auld fella" card around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Grabbing the last few days of evening spins through a taper week for a race wce that was cancelled after L3 drama.

It's such a cracking time of year for bike riding & those on shift work can take advantage of it.

Back to Zwift races tomorrow night then maybe a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Way too young to be playing the "auld fella" card around here :)

:D:D there may be older around these parts, but none feel as old as me :)

there are lads on here old enough to be your father!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Funnily enough I was just looking up that route after my run of Howth this morning. Want to find every climb I can there. I've started doing the route up Balscaddin, which is nice for a change, but ends up taking you up a poor trail/path if you take the direct route.

I'll try Summit car park via Grace O'Malley tomorrow so!

Looks like I might have made things harder on myself by turning up Windgate at the end!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4170882816/segments/2749570821080436986

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short cycle this afternoon backroads up through Tibradden, Cruagh woods and backdown for a bit of climbing and gravel. Lovely day but bloody Baltic on the descent and really need to consider switching over to the full Winter gear. Need to scope out a decent longer route staying in Dublin for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A lot of our recent club spins from Swords have been skirting the Dublin-Meath border in various attempts to plot 80-100km routes that stay within the county boundary. Like most cyclists (and drivers), we are inclined to ignore the very short section of the R130 at the junction with the R125 despite the new signs indicating that we have briefly crossed into Meath. North of Garristown, you have to take the first right to avoid the border on the Delvin River if you are using the Garmin "HERE" map but are okay to continue to the next right at Bartramstown if you are relying on any other map. Happily the cafe in the Seamus Ennis Arts Centre at (the) Naul is within Dublin as The Delvin River marks the boundary all the way east to Gormanstown.

Despite thinking that we knew and had ridden every road and lane in NCD, hardly a ride goes by without some "new" backroad being explored for the first time. A lot of these aren't exactly billard-table smooth so the Winter bikes and wheels have made a slightly earlier appearance than normal this year. The density of the road network in the North County never ceases to amaze me and I wonder if any other part of the country has as many kms of paved road per hectare (or however else road density is measured).

on some of the N2 and M2 you'd need to be awake to know which county you're in - 1km north of the pillo hotel, you pass from meath back into dublin - and back out again after 40m. and then back into dublin after 900m, and back out again after another 900m.
    similar on the M2 near the ward, the border meanders back and forth along the road (not that you'd be on it on a bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Had the day off for the dentist. Went out with the missus for a spin this afternoon. Lovely weather for cycling, except for a heavy shower on the last drag home

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/kLZTGDLVrab

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

First time out in 2 weeks. Legs were definitely rusty. Decided to re attempt Glassnamucky anyway. Went better than last time but still needed to take a minute (or 3) halfway up.
    47km and 850m of climbing.

https://strava.app.link/5gOS772Zrab

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out around Kilteel earlier staying (within the Kildare border) and got in another 67km whilst pretending to work from home.
    Cool but dry with what felt like a strong westerly wind. Planned my route with the wind in mind - wind on my back for the return journey.
    Had an encounter with a BMW 7 series as I and it's driver approached the roundabout outside Intel (both coming from Leixlip).
    I was heading straight ahead and he was hoping to take a left. However, his plan would have been fine had he stayed behind me approaching the roundabout. He tried to overtake me and then had a thought of turning left (into me) but couldn't because of the bloody cyclist beside him so he had to travel right around the roundabout before being in the correct lane to exit it. Gave me a nice warm smug feeling to stop and look back at him :D
    Don't know am I run down or just overdoing it or what but feeling absolutely knackered this evening. Have a club spin tomorrow (somewhere between 80 &120km) and dont know if I'm up to it. The few beers currently in the fridge won't help me either!

https://strava.app.link/Xd0PtrG1rab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Despite thinking that we knew and had ridden every road and lane in NCD, hardly a ride goes by without some "new" backroad being explored for the first time. A lot of these aren't exactly billard-table smooth so the Winter bikes and wheels have made a slightly earlier appearance than normal this year. The density of the road network in the North County never ceases to amaze me and I wonder if any other part of the country has as many kms of paved road per hectare (or however else road density is measured).

I don't think there is anything unique about NCD.

Due to our agricultural history and settlement pattern we have an unrivalled road network.

I've had a lot of searching done in S.Tipp, Co Waterford, pockets of Cork and I don't see any great difference in density.

It's only when north of 250/300m or so they start to thin out.

It's our greatest asset as a cycling destination but grossly underused by locals not to mind visitors.

Nice to see it is being used by others in different pockets of the country.

The stats are staggering

Ireland has a far higher road density than most countries in Europe. There are 20.9km of road in Ireland for every 1000 people, more than twice the EU average of 9.6km and higher than significantly geographically larger countries like Germany which only has 2.8km.

Local Roads are broken into three classes,

Local Primary (LP) 23,789 km (14782 miles), Local Secondary (LS) 33,366 km (20733 miles) and Local Tertiary LT 23,789 km (14782 miles)

For a combined public road network length of 99,830 km (62,030 miles) in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Go and do it, i put my back out again on Monday no spins all week and debatable whether I'll manage one over the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

+1 on that. Even though the Phoenix Park is within my 5k, it won't be as safe or enjoyable thanks to the increased traffic on the perimeter roads.

I agree and I think people might be less inclined to visit family with their kids etc if they could instead bring them cycling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The past few mornings have been particularly chilly but at least its dry for the work commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Probably the last day for short sleeves and shorts - went out late so it was warm enough.

88km @ 27.7av in 3:10 around NCD.

overdressed, thought it was going to be colder and more showery and didn't get rained on at all.
    managed to get 12th fastest on a popular descent (nag's head eastbound) which was pleasantly surprising. it was the day for it though, i had a good tailwind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got dressed then decided I'd wait til the morning as my 2 beers and 1 whiskey made me restless (lockdown made me super lightweight). Lovely walk around st anne's park instead which as ever had a load of golden retrievers for me to wish I owned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lovely walk around st anne's park instead which as ever had a load of golden retrievers for me to wish I owned

That reminds me... a Golden Retriever or Labrador took out a cyclist on the Royal Canal Greenway, near Enfield, earlier today!

The dog was off the lead and loose when the incident occured. I happened upon it moments after, so I didn't witness how the guy fell, but he was badly shook and the bike may have been damaged. I informed the dog owner of the by-laws only to be met by laughter at the situation and when giving other examples of dogs biting cyclists etc. There was no talking to him because he had no grasp of the logic that it doesn't matter how well he thinks his dog will behave, any passing cyclist has no knowledge of how that dog will act. According to him, it was a freak accident and he will continue to let the dog off the lead.

I couldn't do or say anymore as I wasn't a witness, so I wished the cyclist the best. If I'd hung around any longer I might have lost the head with the dog owner. I hope the cyclist got the dog owner's details as he wasn't sure if he damaged his arm or not. That's at least one doctor's bill that guy is liable for.

There are some ignorant assholes dog owners out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Mixed day, rain, sunny, rain, sunny. Must have put on and taken off the rain cape 10times. 165k with 2000m of climbing within the confines of west Cavan @30kph. Absolutely shagged now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went off road and up Bray Head from the golf club side. Decided I'd take a short cut across to the cliff road which turns out to be CX / MTB territory. Got across eventually and then with my new found love of off road I called into Belmont Demense and rode round their bike loop before a coffee at Half Bakd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement