Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

terrydel wrote: »
    some absolute ****tard in a black audi estate behind me down from before the hell fire club, I could tell he was getting annoyed on gunny hill so I stuck my arm out about 400 metres in advance of my right turn, on which he immediately started to rev and beep me. Nobody ever overtakes a bicycle coming down those hills in my experience, and Ive been down both 100s of times, so I was doing nothing wrong. This is the **** that results from the media stoking the fires of the cyclist-motorist 'war' and it will result in fatalities without a doubt imho.

It may also have been leakage from the Featherbeds, where winter nights especially are (locals tell me) a hell of terror with car thieves racing their trophies and intimidating local people and anyone travelling through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have had too many close passes in the last 2 days. I don't know what is in the water all of a sudden that has brought it on. Had a taxi pass within millimetres of my bars while in a bus lane yesterday afternoon. And then numerous people pass with decent room, only to pull in too soon, on top of me. I'm lit up like a christmas tree, have 2 cameras. Take the lane when I feel it's appropriate. Not too sure what else I should be doing if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Have had too many close passes in the last 2 days. I don't know what is in the water all of a sudden that has brought it on. Had a taxi pass within millimetres of my bars while in a bus lane yesterday afternoon. And then numerous people pass with decent room, only to pull in too soon, on top of me. I'm lit up like a christmas tree, have 2 cameras. Take the lane when I feel it's appropriate. Not too sure what else I should be doing if I'm honest.

Blame the Irish media creating a phoney war.

Perhaps you need to be packin'

368997.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Missed cycing over the weekend after a dental issue !
    Marginal gains in terms of weight loss attempted (got a tooth pulled..)

Anyway 58k easy around Naul, Oldtown, Lusk, skerries and man o war brought up 10k for the year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Passed the 17,500kms year to date on this morning's club ride.

(Have to average 37km per day for the rest of the year to hit the 20,000 mark).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Finished night shift and took the kids to school then went out for a spin. Felt tired so took things easy

https://www.strava.com/activities/756350833

Finished night shift and took the kids to school then went out for a spin. Felt tired so took things easy

https://www.strava.com/activities/756350833

63km. Easy. I think I'll just go and have a lie down.

Passed the 17,500kms year to date on this morning's club ride.

(Have to average 37km per day for the rest of the year to hit the 20,000 mark).

I'll have to go some yet to manage 1/4 of that for the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

First cycle in a few months yesterday. Nice easy 45km around the back roads of NCD.

• Advertisement

First cycle in a few months yesterday. Nice easy 45km around the back roads of NCD.

I think I passed you yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I think I passed you twice yesterday..

Bragging about lapping now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

secman wrote: »
    Bragging about lapping now :)

i was quite slow, so its entirely possible :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

Hit the 10,000 km mark on Monday and have been on the cyclocross bike since, it's a seriously hard workout on grass, really feeling it the last few days. Even 10 to 12 km on grass and it feels like I've done a hard century on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

96k for me today, Ratoath, Kilcock, Enfield, Trim, Dunderry, Home. Good workout with the breeze which was fairly constant to Enfield. The new Garmin 520 is a great toy to tinker with, between weather alerts, maps and direction arrows. 29.5k avg with almost 500 metres vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Due to time constraints, it was a quick 32km spin around NCD. Didn't leave till after 4. At first, I thought I was overdressed what with overshoes etc. Got back to the house looking like I had spent an afternoon at the bottom of a rolling maul in a wet and windy Connaught sports grounds to be met with chuckles, cameraphones, and a washbasket! Those backroads are mucky. Still, it was worth it.

Average speed is increasing; it was 9km a few weeks ago, up to I'd say 15km now; I'm often hitting 20, 22 or 23. Still limited to Ringsend or town or the like, but getting stronger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Up (well before) the crack of dawn. Wanted to get the Strava Gran Fondo. 115km, 1055m of climbing with an average of 28.1km. Set a goal and smash it!

Might change my name to Night Crawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out this morning for 40k to leixlip from dublin and back. Between holidays & darker evening havent been out for a spin in almost a month, easing back into it ahead of something more serious tmoro or mon

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

MAD intro spin around the Ticknock trails.Really enjoyed it and learnt a lot but cycling to and from the trails is slooooow. https://www.strava.com/activities/759278103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I was out for a spin this morning, the second half of my route too me around the Dunsany side of the Warrenstown road through to Drumree. For anyone who knows the road there is an S bend about 500m before Drumree. As I took the second bend there was a guy on a bike, he was stopped, the reason became clear, the road was covered in muck and stones, no normal amount of muck, this must have been an inch thick. It covered the road totally, there was no track to follow which wasn't covered in crap. We had to turn around. I reported to Meath Co Co as its very dangerous for cars, bikes or motorcycles. Hope its cleaned up fairly quickly before someone gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Met up with a couple of locals this morning and went on a meandering 60 km spin. Down to killenagh, up Annagh lane on to main road. Turned right heading for ballycanew but took a left turn that twisted and turned and just brought us back on to main road just outside ballycanew. Took the left turn at ballycanew up watchtower hill and headed for The Harrow. Then on to Ferns, left on main road to Enniscorthy for another 10 km and then a left turn at Riverdale which eventually looped back into The Harrow. Took the right for boolavogue, on to ballyedmund, and home. More of a social spin with a slow Avg of 23kmph. Threre was a fair amount of waiting time involved but enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Me and the wife finally managed to do Athlone to Mullingar and back today on the greenway. 90k total at an average of ~20k. Very pleased with ourselves, but absolutely shattered and can barely walk now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Did 70km, Thomastown to Gowran, Borris, Bagnelstown, Paulstown Kilkenny and back to Thomastown. Avg of 24km. Perfect conditions, 1st time I've done that spin and wrecked now as I'm only getting back into it as I had a hand injury that kept me off the bike. Conditions were perfect, bit of a headwind heading back into Kilkenny. Think I deserve a beer shortly!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beautiful day out. Only did 30 km and did it at a fairly slow pace. Hoping to get into the habit of aiming for steady pace over longer distance for the winter months.

Around airport and St Margaret's and towards mulhuddart was where I covered. Would've stayed out linger but left it late

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, lovely morning for it. 41km, out through oldtown, snowtown, back through garristown.
    forgot the water bottle, so i'm attributing my headache towards the end to dehydration - is that a typical symptom?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

attempted to go up the mountains from dublin city centre. got held up by the marathon twice, then strava crapped out from whitechurch to the viewpoint. raging as i felt i flew up cruagh to the junction. Gave up after that as I had to get home to bring herself to Ikea, but then spent another 20 mins trying to cross in terenure.

Massive numbers for the marathon...having notions now for next year to give that a go and strike it off the list.

https://www.strava.com/activities/760380824

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

80km with 840m climbing

Aiming for turlough hill but ran out of time and had too turn around.
    Killiney-kilternan-enniskerry-roundwood-Glendalough -roundwood-killmac -bray-Killiney.

There was a good temperature drop from roundwood on compared to the lower levels where I was wearing to much.

Passed plenty of groups out today

https://www.strava.com/activities/760589924

Great looking day to be out. I cycled into work @ 5.00am and I'm still here wishing I was out for a spin :((
    Head for home in 2 hours though, so not all bad.

• Advertisement

Wandered down to Sandymount, running across the marathoners three times - at Milltown, at the top of Beaver Row and passing Roly's Bistro, fair play to them. Went on towards the sea, exploring Ringsend Park and Sean Moore (?) Park on the way. Had a sit-down on one of the benches looking out at the tide as it was coming in, then started wheeling the bike along the pedestrian pathway inside the grassy linear park at Strand Road. After a while, noticed an adult and two kids way too far out. Stopped to watch them worriedly. Then I faintly heard them calling and calling.

A woman stopped beside me and peered out too. Then she pointed. "It's a dog, over by Poolbeg; it can't hear them! It's just running back and forth frantically."

So I fished out a whistle from the bottom of my bag and started blowing it like billy-o; my ears are still ringing from it a couple of hours later, and the woman beside me hastily jammed her fingers in her ears. Then she pointed again - "Look! He's heard! He's running to them now!" Soon dog and family were reunited. They went gradually inland along the strand, the four of them together, dog now on a lead.

On the way home I tried to record a Strava segment for the first time. Took out the phone, opened Strava, pressed Record. But when I got home it hadn't recorded; no idea why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement