Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

there's a faatastic set of farm buildings on the right just as the road kicks up at the bottom of the climb. looks like a small old monastery nearly. easier to see from the bike than getting a good angle on street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6565818,-6.378997,3a,75y,302.93h,80.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQZCKHtLD2dtIr2ga3ZYN2A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Wow.
    It looks like a very neat farmyard on Google Maps which augurs well for such buildings being maintained.

I'm sure at least the monastery or whatever it was is a protected structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

OSI Geohive suggests it's the out-buildings for Bellewstown House

http://map.geohive.ie/

Also suggests that there was an historic corn mill across the road from it at one point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Planned on heading out early today, but got delayed to 10.30 or so so didn't expect much.

Out to Howth via clontarf and up village side. Then out to malahide and around the estuary. Stopped there to drink coffee I'd brought with me and eat half a roll and fruit. Was intended on heading home then but took a fancy to heading towards skerries direction.

Hated the r127. Far too busy, so turned off for man o war instead and over the M1. Few wrong turns around bog of the ring aside, found my way back towards Hollywood (one of the best views in North county Dublin there) and then went to old town, avoiding ballyboughal due to yet more roadworks.

Went via the ward rather than St. margarets in what Strava calls "Tour of Flanders" and had the life frightened out of me by 2 small dogs that k forgot lived there and then picked up a puncture.

Home by airport where some git came within inches of me at speed and then played chicken with oncoming traffic (need to check footage)

Rolled in for 100k in a bit over 4 hours and a very mucky bike. Lost my cadence sensor between Church at Howth and Baldoyle I think. Didn't notice it for 20 km but noticed where my cadence dropped on the Garmin later on

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/kfqcxFCADab

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

60km this morning with 1000m of climbing.

So many cars double parked on stocking lane that instead of me slowing down cars the traffic trying to navigate between the parked cars was slowing me down.

Secretly thankful as my legs were spent at that stage. 900m of the climbing was done in the first 30km. So just let myself roll home after that.

https://strava.app.link/PblSs0V6Eab

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hunf

60km this morning with 1000m of climbing.

So many cars double parked on stocking lane that instead of me slowing down cars the traffic trying to navigate between the parked cars was slowing me down.

Secretly thankful as my legs were spent at that stage. 900m of the climbing was done in the first 30km. So just let myself roll home after that.

https://strava.app.link/PblSs0V6Eab

Nice route! Did a good bit of the same climbs today myself. Stocking lane around the Hellfire club has been awful for cars on the weekends recently, I've taken to avoiding it where possible - Cruagh is usually quieter.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4206814707

Touch over 60km with a few climbs. Did the full Ticknock climb for the first time in a couple of months, doesn't feel quite as hard as it did but was still in bits at the top. Weather was a bit miserable across the top and chilly enough, definitely should've brought full length gloves as hands were frozen on the descents. Had a nice tailwind all the way across at least, from Kilternan to bottom of Bohernabreena. Was planning to go up Bohernabreena also but didn't have it in my legs and turned around fairly quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Hunf wrote: »
    Nice route! Did a good bit of the same climbs today myself. Stocking lane around the Hellfire club has been awful for cars on the weekends recently, I've taken to avoiding it where possible - Cruagh is usually quieter.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4206814707

Touch over 60km with a few climbs. Did the full Ticknock climb for the first time in a couple of months, doesn't feel quite as hard as it did but was still in bits at the top. Weather was a bit miserable across the top and chilly enough, definitely should've brought full length gloves as hands were frozen on the descents. Had a nice tailwind all the way across at least, from Kilternan to bottom of Bohernabreena. Was planning to go up Bohernabreena also but didn't have it in my legs and turned around fairly quick.

What is the surface like up Ticknock Road? Never tried it. Suitable for a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hunf

What is the surface like up Ticknock Road? Never tried it. Suitable for a road bike?

Very smooth for the most part, perfect for a road bike (ride today was on the road bike). Few potholes on the descent through the carpark is about it. Attracts a lot of hikers which is fine on the ascent, had to take it handy descending today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^the speed bumps on the road up to the mast are annoying as well, going up and downn

85k @ 28kph first thing this morning. Surprisingly windy and made a bad decision to wear one of those reflective yellow running jackets that everyone has at the back of the wardrobe. It was holding me back in the wind and wasn't breathable so was sweating buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Cold one this morning and so layered up well and for once I got it right. Was nice and warm without sweating buckets. Clane to Celbridge, round the back of Maynooth and onto Kilcock and home. 45kms in an hour and 25 minutes, all on an empty stomach as I’m fasting on a one meal a day diet. Felt surprisingly good and no “flat spots” due to the absence of food. Weather forecast is awful for Monday and Tuesday and so I think I’ll take a break until mid week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycled through the naul earlier, and there was an unmarked garda car with blue lights on pulled up on the footpath, parked behind a modified audi, and a *very* grumpy looking young lad sitting behind the wheel of that. poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Out around Garristown, Oldtown, Naul this morning with the club.....the amount of cyclists out this morning around that area was unreal (dont cycle around there alot so could have been normal), riders from castleknock, dunboyne, naomh barrog (i think in garristown), swords, and others in non sort of club gear. Was a great morning for a cycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's been like that out that direction on sunday mornings for the last few weeks. i know a lad in castleknock CC and they'd often head for kildare or wicklow, but have obviously been keeping inside the county boundaries of late. i expect other clubs are doing similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think there's a very strong case for expanding County Dublin and annexing sections of Wicklow, Kildale and Meath. With expert guidance/advice from those who post here, we could devise far better boundaries and avoid nasty urban sprawl on our border cycles. A 30km push south would take in Laragh with its culinary and climbing options while a mere 15km sortie west could give cycling Dubs access to both the Coffee Mill and Timeless. The only slight negative might be the training needed before taking on a 300km+ border ride.

As someone living in Wicklow, keep yourselves to yourselves. We are all in this together is gone, long live selfishness.

goddamn wicklow people coming into dublin, stealing our jobs. probably our women too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

i know a lad in castleknock CC and they'd often head for kildare or wicklow, but have obviously been keeping inside the county boundaries of late. i expect other clubs are doing similar.

Very much the same with Swords CC. The midweek and weekend leisure spins have probably explored every boreen in NCD at this stage and even made occasional sorties to the Dublin mountains. Crossing town can be a bit of a pain with a group of 10+ though the climbs and views nearly make up for it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone living in Wicklow, keep yourselves to yourselves. We are all in this together is gone, long live selfishness.

Would you not like to be part of an All Ireland winning county for a change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

All ireland county winning cycling whaty now?

Some of us have paid good money not to be living in Dublin, thanks.

In fact it would be better if Wicklow was extended about 7/8km northwards to take account of the rest of the mountains. Would make more sense to have them all part of the one national park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I rode into work in the dark this morning, found nothing to do so rode home again. I went a longer way to waste a bit of time and clock up a few km as I hadn’t met my weekly target. Got home and had some breakfast and headed out again on the good bike to make up the missing distance before I had to head back to work. Did 90km over the 3 spins. Not the warmest morning (3 degreees For the first two) but was happy with my new Le Col jersey for the 3rd spin.
    Hopefully picking up my new winter bike tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Late getting up , thought one of the club spins were passing my door so thought I'd join them . Got it wrong they were coming home past my place so by time I'd figured this out I'd spent 45 mins talking to my neighbour about clock-making (yes really), I eventually got out for a handy 50 km ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Plastik wrote: »
    All ireland county winning cycling whaty now?

Some of us have paid good money not to be living in Dublin, thanks.

In fact it would be better if Wicklow was extended about 7/8km northwards to take account of the rest of the mountains. Would make more sense to have them all part of the one national park.

Indeed. We'll take the stretch from Ferndale Road in Rathmichael to Glencullen. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

D13exile wrote: »
    Anyways, out I go for a short 30kms as I'm on a new diet that involves eating just one meal a day (its for health reasons as while I'm not carrying any obvious excess weight, an ultrasound scan showed that I've a fatty liver and pancreas and I need to eliminate this "unseen" fat to avoid health problems in the future). ... Was going well until about the 20km point when I hit the wall/bonked and the speed fell right off. Guess I'd used up my remaining glycogen stores and my body was switching to burning fat as the doctor had said. However this feeling only lasted for a few kms and then I felt my legs come back to life and I picked up speed again.
    Enduro wrote: »
    FWIW I regularly do 5 hour spins in the Wicklow hills in a fasted state without any energy issues. Once you adapt to be an efficient fat-burner its no bother. Just be patient with it. It takes time to adapt (like all stress->adapt training).

As Enduro said, you will adapt over time. I never eat first thing in the morning (except coffee) so effectively all my spins are fasted. During the week this usually involves a "commute" spin of between 25-40km, and Sunday will be anything in the 60-100km/3-4+ hour range. I'm usually not tearing the door off its hinges to eat when I get home either, and during the week don't eat until around 1, so I'd say persevere and build it up gradually

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I rode into work in the dark this morning, found nothing to do so rode home again....
    I can't ever see that happening in my job!

(You have ridiculously early commutes - must be weird cycling to work at 3/4am.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They're speculating about a 10k radius on the radio all day.

(That 2km radius is discriminating to those of us living right on the coast. Half of my circle is in the Irish sea! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah well. Back to laps to the viewing point for me. :(.

Could be worse I guess.

Just sent an email to patrick.odonovan@oir.ie Minister for OPW asking that the six perimeter gates in the Phoenix Park be closed again to facilitate safer and more enjoyable use of the Park by cyclists and walkers. Looks like I'll be back there doing circuits from Thursday for at least six weeks. At least there's no traffic lights to contend with.

JMcL wrote: »
    As Enduro said, you will adapt over time. I never eat first thing in the morning (except coffee) so effectively all my spins are fasted. During the week this usually involves a "commute" spin of between 25-40km, and Sunday will be anything in the 60-100km/3-4+ hour range. I'm usually not tearing the door off its hinges to eat when I get home either, and during the week don't eat until around 1, so I'd say persevere and build it up gradually

"When" I was actually going into the office (been working from home since March which I'm loving btw), I'd cycle in twice a week and that was 40kms each way. I'd have a banana before I left and then fruit and nuts once I got into work. Wasn't "starving" for the morning but did eat a good lunch to fuel for the evening trip home.

I'm managing the one meal a day diet no problems so far. And my cycles are going well, up to 40kms after fasting for 20 hours+ on an empty stomach without issue. I'll do as you say and slowly push the distance to adapt to cycling longer in a fasted state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

D13exile wrote: »
    "When" I was actually going into the office (been working from home since March which I'm loving btw), I'd cycle in twice a week and that was 40kms each way. I'd have a banana before I left and then fruit and nuts once I got into work. Wasn't "starving" for the morning but did eat a good lunch to fuel for the evening trip home.

I'm managing the one meal a day diet no problems so far. And my cycles are going well, up to 40kms after fasting for 20 hours+ on an empty stomach without issue. I'll do as you say and slowly push the distance to adapt to cycling longer in a fasted state.

It quite a dramatic shift to go from a diet and exercise regime that left you with a fatty liver to doing 40km rides after 22hrs fasted.

In that context 40km is great but a fit adapted athlete can do significantly more in a fasted state.

There was a guy from Dublin, who rides a lot of audax and ultra events, who was doing 200km events plus fasted at close to 30km/h moving speed. From what I saw from him a few years previous he was on potentially fatty liver diet. No idea why he made such a shift.

Pretty sure he was full on ketogenic rather than just using a small eating window.

We are conditioned to think and believe we will be without energy if we don't constantly top up.
    I think if you persist you will be able to do more but the adaptations will be psychological as well as physiological.

People will often describe bonking or hitting the wall being due to low blood sugar. There are a multitude of stressor which we can confuse with low blood sugar but WILL subside or disappear if we stop and have a coke and chocolate bar. (Eg on the bike getting lost/dropped etc)

I'll put up a link to an interesting review of a research paper into the bonking hypothesis.

The only real "switch over" is when the body switch to ketone to power your brain. At all other times we constantly use sugar and fat simultaneously. The proportion varies depending on heart rate and fat adaptation.

What you are doing will allow you to use more fat when exercising and to spare sugar/glycogen for your brain and high intensity.

After 22 hrs fasted there probably would be some low levels of ketone in your system.

EDIT; Study commentary
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2016/09/do-blood-glucose-levels-affect-hunger.html?m=1

• Advertisement

It quite a dramatic shift to go from a diet and exercise regime that left you with a fatty liver to doing 40km rides after 22hrs fasted.

In that context 40km is great but a fit adapted athlete can do significantly more in a fasted state.

There was a guy from Dublin, who rides a lot of audax and ultra events, who was doing 200km events plus fasted at close to 30km/h moving speed. From what I saw from him a few years previous he was on potentially fatty liver diet. No idea why he made such a shift.

Pretty sure he was full on ketogenic rather than just using a small eating window.

We are conditioned to think and believe we will be without energy if we don't constantly top up.
    I think if you persist you will be able to do more but the adaptations will be psychological as well as physiological.

People will often describe bonking or hitting the wall being due to low blood sugar. There are a multitude of stressor which we can confuse with low blood sugar but WILL subside or disappear if we stop and have a coke and chocolate bar. (Eg on the bike getting lost/dropped etc)

I'll put up a link to an interesting review of a research paper into the bonking hypothesis.

The only real "switch over" is when the body switch to ketone to power your brain. At all other times we constantly use sugar and fat simultaneously. The proportion varies depending on heart rate and fat adaptation.

What you are doing will allow you to use more fat when exercising and to spare sugar/glycogen for your brain and high intensity.

After 22 hrs fasted there probably would be some low levels of ketone in your system.

EDIT; Study commentary
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2016/09/do-blood-glucose-levels-affect-hunger.html?m=1

I've kept myself pretty fit over the years but there's a history of liver and pancreatic disease in my family, my father died from pancreatic cancer and my grandfather died from cirrhosis of the liver. I've had high cholesterol since my early 20's despite going to the gym/running 5 times a week. So getting a fatty liver was in the cards for me, which was confirmed by an ultrasound 6 months ago. However I've a good GP who believes in natural cures over just dishing out pills. So he suggested the OMAD diet which I've adapted to far easier than I thought. I plan to next try a 3 day water only fast as my GP says I've to mix things up or my body will adapt to the OMAD diet and the improvements will fall off. It'll be a while before I try doing a 100km+ ride again (lockdown or no lockdown) as I'd be worried about running out of steam miles from home. However even though I'm fasting 23 hours a day, my speed on the bike is still averaging over 30kph which I'm happy with.

Thanks for that link. I'll read it tonight when the kids go to bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement