Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

In advance of tonight's lockdown, I got my last decent spin on the bike just now. Clane to Timahoe, Carbury, Derrinturin, Allenwood and back to Clane. 46kms in an hour and 26 minutes, and in a fasted state since 4pm yesterday. One thing I've noticed since I started on my "one meal a day (OMAD)" diet is that when out on the bike, I don't find I get peaks and troughs when it comes to my energy levels. Prior to this, I'd start off well but then start to flag a little after 20kms when I'd have to have a banana or a gel. Then I'd pick up again only to start to flag again down the road. My doctor said I probably have become insulin resistant and so my body isn't utilising my energy stores well. Since I went on the new diet, which is low carb, medium protein and medium/high fats, my energy levels appear to remain constant. On the spin just now, it was into a 16kph headwind for the first half but I felt good. On the return leg, and with the wind now at my back, I was flying it. Kept pushing myself to see if I'd run out of steam but was still going fast as I arrived home to Clane.

And while I'm not one to resurrect old arguments (see thread on "cycling during the lockdown"), I only passed one pedestrian on my 46km spin.....and I moved out to the centre of the road to give us plenty of room in the tenth of a second it took me to pass him! Hardly much of a Covid risk for either of us. Just sayin'....:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

goddamn wicklow people coming into dublin, stealing our jobs. probably our women too.
    I am guilty of pretty much all of these accusations, and I'd do it again. If you Dubs were able to do the job, i wouldn't have to come up there and do it for ye.
    Would you not like to be part of an All Ireland winning county for a change?
    I won't go into my opinion on what is and isn't an amateur sport and what some people are willing to do to win no matter the cost. You enjoy your panel of Gym Bunnies with their no craic football. We shall stick to batin' lumps out of each other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out yesterday for last day before level 5. Cycled up to the GAP to meet a friend for some beginner MTB stuff, hired a bike and did half a dozen runs of the blue trails. Great craic and something I'll definitely be adding to my cycling mix once the lock down lifts. Changing from the drop bar to full suss MTB with fully dropped saddle felt very weird as did getting back on the other bike to come home. May have to figure out how to make room for the n+1 in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

smacl wrote: »
    Out yesterday for last day before level 5. Cycled up to the GAP to meet a friend for some beginner MTB stuff, hired a bike and did half a dozen runs of the blue trails. Great craic and something I'll definitely be adding to my cycling mix once the lock down lifts. Changing from the drop bar to full suss MTB with fully dropped saddle felt very weird as did getting back on the other bike to come home. May have to figure out how to make room for the n+1 in the new year.

Same, have been out on rental MTBs in the last few months. The wallet is running for cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Out this morning for a quick 30kms in 54 mins. Quite cold and so three layers (long sleeve merino base layer, fleece lined long sleeve jersey and a gillet over them and fleece lined bib tights) on and first use of my Galabier Winter gloves. I was nice and warm without sweating buckets. Good few people out on bikes out my way this morning, all bundled up too. Guess winter is coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

D13exile wrote: »
    ...One thing I've noticed since I started on my "one meal a day (OMAD)" diet ....
    I still can't get my head around this. Are you not starving all the time or constantly thinking about food?

(I get very narky when hungry and just can't focus on anything until I eat.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Back to local loops, lucky enough to have some decent climbs and off-road in my 5k zone which will keep the turbo at bay for a few more weeks. Hopefully the mental levels of traffic around the Dublin mountains will subside too, though the car park in Cruagh was still jammers yesterday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Managed to get 70km done within my bubble today. Found it tough going between the wind (which wasn't that bad) and, for once, the saddle.
    Another 70km and I'll have reached my 2020 target of 10,000kms so I'm kinda excited.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4232678549

Slight incident with an 2011 Passat shortly into the spin as I was crossing Cope Bridge in Leixlip Confey (it's single file). He squeezed past me which caused (to use garda-speak) "a wobble".
    At the T-junction on the other side, I caught up with him and asked why he passed me like that and his response was that I'd "want to keep in off the road a bit".
    Being first to leave the junction, I asked a Garda at a COVID checkpoint 50m down the road to have a word with the driver about his dangerous overtake. I might yet get up off my butt and make a formal complaint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out since fresh lockdown, went out through finglas to the airport and back.
    have mentioned before, but strava seems to not be great at judging moving time if it's a stop/starty cycle.
    did one 1h3m09s according to my garmin, and strava reckons i was moving for 1h2m16s; there's no way i was stopped for under a minute, i reckon there was one set of lights where i was stopped for nearly that long. i'd have reckoned i was moving for maybe 1 hour.

Went off road on the road bike, was actually a bit of fun until my rear derailleur seperated itself from the bike:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I did 25 km zwift km on the turbo. Didn't use a fan. Got through close to 2 bottles of water. 1 would often do my for a 4 hour ride outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Went off road on the road bike, was actually a bit of fun until my rear derailleur seperated itself from the bike:

Would you be able to tell me where this is exactly Cram? I’m in Greystones and I don’t recognize any of it? Is it from the Killruddery side?

Would you be able to tell me where this is exactly Cram? I’m in Greystones and I don’t recognize any of it? Is it from the Killruddery side?

Yep, go through Kilruddery and up Giltspur lane and follow the path to the left and simply don't turn off it, you end up just about 30m shy of the summit where I turned down at the end of the video. I was in road cleats so didn't fancy chucking the bike up on my shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

That looks class, night stick that on the lockdown list

first time out since fresh lockdown, went out through finglas to the airport and back.
    have mentioned before, but strava seems to not be great at judging moving time if it's a stop/starty cycle.
    did one 1h3m09s according to my garmin, and strava reckons i was moving for 1h2m16s; there's no way i was stopped for under a minute, i reckon there was one set of lights where i was stopped for nearly that long. i'd have reckoned i was moving for maybe 1 hour.
    I went out for a spin recently and met a neighbour at the top of Boston hill (near Lyons hill). We had approached the top via different roads but mine involved a little more climbing.
    We headed off to the hills near Kilteel together and when we got home my Garmin had me on about 375m of elevation. He was using Strava on his phone and was on about 461m.
    Go figure!

What width are your bars Cram? Or maybe the camera just makes them look on the narrow side?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We headed off to the hills near Kilteel together and when we got home my Garmin had me on about 375m of elevation. He was using Strava on his phone and was on about 461m.
    Go figure!
    my garmin (cheap one with no barometer) usually reports less than strava after it's uploaded. i'm more inclined to believe strava there as they can match the ride to actual elevation figures from maps, rather than inaccurate GPS data.

What width are your bars Cram? Or maybe the camera just makes them look on the narrow side?

38cm outside to outside and I have the shifters angled in as its comfier for me. I find wide bars really awkward despite my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yep, go through Kilruddery and up Giltspur lane and follow the path to the left and simply don't turn off it, you end up just about 30m shy of the summit where I turned down at the end of the video. I was in road cleats so didn't fancy chucking the bike up on my shoulder

You've actually a fair bit to go there before you get to the summit. That steep section in front of where you stopped just leads you to another plateau. You can get all the way to the top of that on the bike if you follow any of the fire roads around to the Belmont side and up from there. But you'll still only summit on foot.

38cm outside to outside and I have the shifters angled in as its comfier for me. I find wide bars really awkward despite my size.

Ah if it works it works, just when I saw the video I was like those look narrow. 38's are probably what 4cm under what would come as stock on a large frame?

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    You've actually a fair bit to go there before you get to the summit. That steep section in front of where you stopped just leads you to another plateau. You can get all the way to the top of that on the bike if you follow any of the fire roads around to the Belmont side and up from there. But you'll still only summit on foot.
    You are 100%, I had to look at google maps,I was probably another 800m from the summit. Never been up there before so when the rear derailleur detached I had a moment of, oh ****, how long a walk is this in SPDSL cleats. I managed to use the band for holding my lights on and tie the derailleur to my pedal and then do a weird thing where I hoped on the saddle, clipped in one foot without moving the pedal and then balanced my right foot on top of the pedal/derailleur. Managed to freewheel/scoot almost as far as the road. So ended up with only a 20 minute walk rather than an hour and a half.
    Ah if it works it works, just when I saw the video I was like those look narrow. 38's are probably what 4cm under what would come as stock on a large frame?
    I think the stocks are 44 outside to outside. I just don't like wider bars, They look narrower in the videos but I have had people pass comment at races. I'd go narrower if I could as I used ot use 36cm (outside to outside) track bars but I sold them and they were definitely my favourite

Not that anyone is interested, but here is the second half where you have a very dramatic, rear derailleur into spokes moment at the end. i swear I didn't hear it rubbing the way you can hear it in the video.

Yes !!! here we go :pac:

Yes !!! here we go :pac:

Ha, I meant to type "non dramatic".

Hopefully not an expensive failure for you there in the end.

Hopefully not an expensive failure for you there in the end.

Rear derailleur hanger snapped as its meant to so that should hopefully be that, 25euro all in and a few days wait. Not the worst thing in the world and no damage to the wheel which is fantastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Park rammed with cyclists and runners and unfortunately cars too.

I presume there were loads doing marathon distance runs given it would've been on today and there was at least one crowd of people who shouldn't have been there, good a cause and all it was, or at least should've made an effort to be distant.

I left a bit before 11 as it was getting too full of cars and they were being operated by some rather inattentive people.

I'll go again, but plan on being there before 9 if not even earlier

another 30km or so around finglas, airport and santry.

was waiting to turn right off the finglas road up towards charlestown and a motorcyclist came past us and took the right, against a red. a lad in a hyundai coming the opposite direction had to stand on the brakes. to be fair to the motorcyclist, he gave a wave of thanks (or maybe apology) and the chap in the hyundai gave him a blip of his blue lights in acknowledgement. then they stopped for a chat.

Took a short spin this morning to get me past my 2020 target of 10,000 kms.
    Absolutely loads of people out on bikes which is great to see.

https://strava.app.link/fX34FhT1Rab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

That's some achievement well done

Today is proof that God is a cyclist and he / she / it / them want you to take one day a week off and go cycling

Great to see so many cyclists today exercising their own personal responsibility and judgment, long may it continue

Whatever you're doing over the coming weeks try and do it with a smile, the fear is back and it's dividing our society, a smile makes a big difference

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement