Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

1000m of climbing in 55km. Joy's of staying near home !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

1000m of climbing in 55km. Joy's of staying near home !

Snap. 1800 in 74k. How do I climb thee, let me count the ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Took a short spin this morning to get me past my 2020 target of 10,000 kms.
    Absolutely loads of people out on bikes which is great to see.

https://strava.app.link/fX34FhT1Rab

Also surpassed my 10k year goal, with a 100km virtual cycle in 3hrs 30mins. Not as bad of a day as expected, but enjoyed the virtual spin none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

For a little non-local colo(u)r, I rode on a bike path from near my house in Chambly Quebec to St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, the next big town over. About 50k there and back. This particular bike path runs alongside the Chambly canal, a mid nineteenth century construction that was used to move goods between Montreal and New York City. The Richelieu river gets its water from the mountains stateside via Lake Champlain.

The locks are now closed, and it is getting colder by the day. The yellow leaved trees are still hanging on but the orange, red and bronze colored ones are mostly shed.

It was a nice sunny morning, 6C, and fair bit of cyclists but more runners and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

An absolutely magical morning for cycling. Cool, but sunny, touch of wind to keep you on your toes at times.
    But the 5km radius is not enjoyable, my route was a figure of 8 near me. I'm going to have to come up with something a bit more enjoyable though within the radius.
    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/kssfZ4iASab

• Advertisement

Late night with a teething baby but very glad I made the effort to get out first thing this morning. Spent most of the last lockdown on the turbo but I find that a lot of my love of cycling is getting out in the fresh air, so this morning was my reccie of all the local backroads and hills that normally would get overlooked on my longer spins. Blessed in that I am right at the edge of Cork city so was able to get out into the countryside and explored a maze of small and very hilly roads I wasn't previously familiar with. Did about an hour and a half with plenty of looping and doubling back but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Uneventful 40km until 5 km from the house. Left half my arse cheek and a chunk of my elbow on the road when the front wheel hit some gravel while doing about 15kmh turning off the main road onto a bohreen. Pretty sure I dislocated my thumb but it went straight back in again, felt a serious pain and a distinct "pop" and waves of cold sweat but then another pop and the pain subsided.

Bike fine, shorts and arm warmers not great.
    Couch, ice, tramadol, difene, GCN race pass. Waiting for the right moment to attack the captain Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Maybe avoid the Difene and alcohol at the same time - lots of processing work for your liver and kidneys from either, so mixing them is not great.
    Hope your thumb (and arse!) are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Update- Ruptured ligament in the thumb, meeting the surgeon on thursday and probably surgery in the next few days. Not great but not bad, I suppose it'll be turbo for the next 3-4 weeks. Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sorry to hear that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

burger1979 wrote: »
    An absolutely magical morning for cycling. Cool, but sunny, touch of wind to keep you on your toes at times.
    But the 5km radius is not enjoyable, my route was a figure of 8 near me. I'm going to have to come up with something a bit more enjoyable though within the radius.
    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/kssfZ4iASab

Fair play with the loop, can't help but thinking you went full groundhog day on that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Two checkpoints and a puncture.

The name of the latest drama on Netflix, or a description of my cycle today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

velo.2010 wrote: »

Sounds like either a really poor BBC3 comedy or a decent RTE comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Weather is such a mixed bag today. Got caught in some of the heavier stuff, done 20km before i realised i did not set up my tracker app. So cycled the Chesterfield road @ 2:03min/km to clear my head a bit as its gotten too easy to put off getting out.

Happy cyclin'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given some of the wind today, 30km/h average on chesterfield avenue may have been an epic effort.
    depending on which way you were headed

given some of the wind today, 30km/h average on chesterfield avenue may have been an epic effort.

There was little overtaking for the whole route and with minimum traffic it was easy through those roundabouts. After getting caught in the wind/rain just before hand it was nice to let off a little steam when the sun came out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

velo.2010 wrote: »

Seen a checkpoint on Howth Head loop.
    Was curious if they are stopping cycling as there seems to be plenty still cycling loop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There was a strongish SW wind there this morning so it would have been more of a cross/tail wind heading down Chesterfield Avenue .
    Was determined to do six laps of the perimeter so ignored the gathering clouds as I finished the fifth. By the time I completed the sixth and headed home via Tolka Valley Park, it was wet, cold and pretty miserable despite having a rain jacket on.
    For some reason I have always turned right entering the Park and done anti-clockwise circuits. I tried a clockwise one this morning but, with that SW wind, it seemed a lot tougher particularly the drag up past the Magazine Fort. Going the other way round, at least some of the North Road along by the Zoo and Áras is sheltered by the trees. Getting a bit tired of the speed ramps along there - a gap at the edge for bikes would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was a strongish SW wind there this morning so it would have been more of a cross/tail wind heading down Chesterfield Avenue .
    Was determined to do six laps of the perimeter so ignored the gathering clouds as I finished the fifth. By the time I completed the sixth and headed home via Tolka Valley Park, it was wet, cold and pretty miserable despite having a rain jacket on.
    For some reason I have always turned right entering the Park and done anti-clockwise circuits. I tried a clockwise one this morning but, with that SW wind, it seemed a lot tougher particularly the drag up past the Magazine Fort. Going the other way round, at least some of the North Road along by the Zoo and Áras is sheltered by the trees. Getting a bit tired of the speed ramps along there - a gap at the edge for bikes would be much appreciated.

Yeah, if im going clockwise i skip the north road altogether and come down chesterfield avenue. The bumps and road surface going anti-clockwise arent as bad

Saw someone mention wandrer.earth in the 5km thread I think it was and decided to try it for myself. The rides/walks I did in the last few days are complete and accurate in strava but have huge gaps missing in Wandrer. It will stop and pick up maybe 500m around a corner or sometimes even on a straight. I have about 20km of unique roads covered but really I'd saw with the gaps I'm missing about 5-7km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

Saw someone mention wandrer.earth in the 5km thread I think it was and decided to try it for myself. The rides/walks I did in the last few days are complete and accurate in strava but have huge gaps missing in Wandrer. It will stop and pick up maybe 500m around a corner or sometimes even on a straight. I have about 20km of unique roads covered but really I'd saw with the gaps I'm missing about 5-7km

That was me. I had a similar issue before with it, but I emailed the guy running it, and he patches in what was missing. Just to note, wanderer.earth only processes ride data, as far as I'm aware.

As an aside, I recently got a notification that the website would only continue to hold data for my 50 most recent rides, unless I subscribe. I remain undecided about the cost benefit here

@meridianpro
    It was a cross wind for that part of the route, out again today and the level of foilage could prove a hazard over the next few weeks.
    The routes in that park are great considering its in the city centre, i prefer the route anticlockwise as i always approached from the quays and took a clockwise route, the route to the magazine fort and up that hill is a preffered uphill section of mine, but the route from the foot of the hill to the cross i just hate...
    The side of the park at blackhorse avenue is terrible for cycling and I can not fathom why they have not fixed that entire section(minimizes accidents maybe)

I cycled out of town to Howth and glided the whole route had i put on my tracker app id say my average speed would have been close to 40km/h as i had a discreet tailwind that i had not noticed until the route back to town when the realization of the benefits of it became prevalent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    The side of the park at blackhorse avenue is terrible for cycling and I can not fathom why they have not fixed that entire section(minimizes accidents maybe)

I cycled out of town to Howth....

I've no real problem with the North Road other than the ramps and a few short areas near the Garda Depot that need resurfacing. Don't fancy Chesterfield Avenue at all - boring and very exposed to any wind that's around.
    Would love to live wherever you do - the Park and Howth both within the 5km circle!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would love to live wherever you do - the Park and Howth both within the 5km circle!
    Somewhere like that would be unique alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Lovely day for a spin today. Not much wind and fairly warm. Shame it’s half term and there’s kids needing looking after...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lovely day for a spin today. Not much wind and fairly warm. Shame it’s half term and there’s kids needing looking after...
    Tomorrow's wind should provide for a number of KOM changes...
    531153.JPG
    https://www.met.ie/#

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Three reps of Cruagh to the Viewing point for 36k with 921m of up. Then saw the post below and that I was 60m short of my October climbing challenge. Arse!!
    Tomorrow's wind should provide for a number of KOM changes...

Back out for another 8k and 111m up, Strava happy and will stick to the turbo until the winds subside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I was about to head out on the bike but the winds really picked up so I decided against it.

I think I'll need to look into getting a turbo, I'm not getting out as much as I'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Toon windy so turbo for near 2hrs. Not everyone's thing but group rides on Zwift aren't so bad, I've done two now with both being as described.

• Advertisement

Got out this morning before the rain landed. Most I can do is about an hour and a half on the same roads before I get bored so decided to mix it up, switch on Strava, which I don't normally pay much heed to, and target a local KOM. Found one on a decent, long hill that looked soft and managed to take my first ever KOM. I think Strava will be the thing that'll get me through the next five weeks while still managing to get out. The turbo is tough going at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement