Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

One second off taking a KOM on Strava

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bazermc wrote: »
    One second off taking a KOM on Strava

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My wahoo told me I got the KOM on a segment I had been trying for ages, got home and I was still 1 second off. Looks like the Bolt thought I was a few m ahead of where I was actually. Its very frustrating as I was targetting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I went out for a spin recently and met a neighbour at the top of Boston hill (near Lyons hill). We had approached the top via different roads but mine involved a little more climbing.
    We headed off to the hills near Kilteel together and when we got home my Garmin had me on about 375m of elevation. He was using Strava on his phone and was on about 461m.
    Go figure!

I've an Edge 520 and it loses the plot sometimes completely. I've had it claiming that a 7-8% incline is flat occasionally. I'm not sure if tree cover is a factor as I haven't been using the speed sensor over the past few months and trees seem to play havoc with speed purely from GPS. I suspect, though can't say for sure, that speed combined with gradient will make a difference in the final elevation total so if the speed is out, then elevation will be as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time cycle up through Masseys wood to the Hellfire then back up to the viewing point and back via Cruagh for 24k with 514m up up. Thought I might need my eyes tested as things were looking a bit blurry on the descent, only to find out I hadn't changed from my reading glasses to my cycling glasses before heading off. Old age is setting in I reckon :o Cold enough out but lovely and crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had an operation on Monday to reattach ligaments in my thumb, got back on the turbo today. Hand is in a big lump of a cast for 10 days so I can't really use it at all but I could rest it on the bars. Did a half an hour on the "Open Road" app. It was nice to spin the legs, I accidentally ate a heap of the kids trick or treat sweets so I really needed to start the process of getting back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ...I accidentally ate a heap of the kids trick or treat sweets...

Oh no, not another accident! :p

Good to hear you're on the way back up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dublin7runner

I had a lovely spin this morning just around my area its nice to get some fresh air!

Todays was better than my last cycle, I didnt get a flat tyre lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Didn't see a bollard at 30km/h, bent my new ultegra crankset, split my helmet and shredded a new jacket I was wearing for the very first time. I'll be glad when this lockdown is over and I can get back up the mountains where there are no bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Didn't see a bollard at 30km/h, bent my new ultegra crankset, split my helmet and shredded a new jacket I was wearing for the very first time. I'll be glad when this lockdown is over and I can get back up the mountains where there are no bollards.

Expensive hit that.

I'd nearly prefer physical hurt.

dahat wrote: »
    I'd nearly prefer physical hurt.

Don't worry. I've got that too :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody nora - no further damage to yourself? you'll be sore in the morning regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Don't worry. I've got that too :).

Pretty crap day then, hope the body heals quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Nasty, hope you recover quick.

Starting to see why staying at home on a smart turbo trainer isnt any more expensive.

Never seen a crank bend before from a crash, how did you manage that?

Tony04 wrote: »
    Never seen a crank bend before from a crash, how did you manage that?

Judging from the pain in my right foot, right knee and right thigh I guess I missed it to the left, the bars went over it (it was about 3' high) and it collided with the crank area. I could see a definite buckle in the chainring afterwards and the chain was dropping going into the big ring. Hopefully it's just the chainring and the (carbon!) frame isn't damaged! I'll steel myself to look more closely tomorrow.

Id say itd be just your chainrings cranks are built like rocks they often outlast frames

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Judging from the pain in my right foot, right knee and right thigh I guess I missed it to the left, the bars went over it (it was about 3' high) and it collided with the crank area. I could see a definite buckle in the chainring afterwards and the chain was dropping going into the big ring. Hopefully it's just the chainring and the (carbon!) frame isn't damaged! I'll steel myself to look more closely tomorrow.

Sounds like a nasty enough tumble. Hope yourself and the bike aren't too badly damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I see some folk have been in the wars lately. Well, you can add me to the list.

I managed to get my left foot caught between the front mudguard and wheel while coming to a halt at a set of lights yesterday. Cue slow motion falling into the kerb, which did a fair bit of damage compared to the last similar fall I had. The fact the left peddle was up meant coming down with a bit more force too.

My left hand is fairly banged up, but I did various physio tests (from online sources) to rule out any broken bones and major ligament damage. I reckon its just heavy brusing to the muscles in the palm and some tendon spraining. My knee is cut up and I somehow managed to bang my upper right arm and cut my right ankle.

Anyway, pissed off but should heal up without too much issue. As for the bike... new bartape and a little paint touch up are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Must be something in the air today.... I was spinning up a local hill and came across a guy in a ditch, with another guy stopped with him.
    They weren’t riding together but the lad said a motorist told him about the guy in the ditch and drove off. I don’t think the motorist was involved as was going the other way.
    The guy on the floor was pretty shaken and groggy - enough for him to not recognise me even though I ride with him most weeks.
    His wife came and picked him up fairly quickly and he seemed more lucid by then.

Get well soon everyone!!

Must be something in the air today.... I was spinning up a local hill and came across a guy in a ditch, with another guy stopped with him.
    They weren’t riding together but the lad said a motorist told him about the guy in the ditch and drove off. I don’t think the motorist was involved as was going the other way.
    The guy on the floor was pretty shaken and groggy - enough for him to not recognise me even though I ride with him most weeks.
    His wife came and picked him up fairly quickly and he seemed more lucid by then.

Get well soon everyone!!

Car would have likely had a blanket etc to keep the guy warm while help arrived for him or left him sit in while help arrived or at the very least stopped to pull the poor sod out of a ditch. Some people ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only blanket we have in the car is for a horse, but yeah, let him sit in with the engine running and the blowers on.
    have come across that before - what looked like a bad smash on the motorway years ago (well, it *was* a bad smash, but thankfully no serious injuries despite initial appearances), and the first guy on scene left without even calling the emergency services. we were third on scene and the first to make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

With health and safety gone mad and insurance companies using any excuse to penalise customers there are reasons drivers may not be willing to get involved
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/good-samaritan-let-a-young-crash-victim-take-shelter-in-his-car-which-was-then-cut-to-pieces-by-rescue-workers-35441745.html
    Driver could still have hung around rather than passing the buck to the next cyclist

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Woke up early enough and made my breakfast and a full French press. coffee.

Went to the park and did a loop and then a figure of 8, or rather a tying of the knot and then did some half loops and went down roads and paths I don't normally .

This was between 8.30-10.30 and it was good. Nice and quiet, not too many cars or others. Started picking up after 10. Lots more jogging, cycling, walking dogs and families arriving in the cars. Took the decision to head home.

Coffee was still hot (thank you zojirushi flask) and refuelled with some flapjacks. Back out the door and looped around the airport and meandered around some local roads.

100k, in 3hr 40. Faster than I'd gone in a while on my solo spins so can't complain, but expect them to get much slower now for the next 3-4 months

got out for about 30k today. at the st margaret's end of the airport, i was passed by a skerries driving school car, with oncoming traffic. the car was over the (dashed) white line, and as they passed, i could see the instructor was holding onto the steering wheel with his right hand, as well as the student holding it.
    the only conclusion i can reasonably draw is that the instructor did not trust the student not to drive into me, but yet was OK with them passing me while partly into the oncoming lane with oncoming traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out this morning for a spin and went down when turning on to mount venus road from stocking lane (northwards). Landed on my face and blacked out, came to a few mins later but was pretty groggy, ambulance was called and taken to hospital. My whole right side is banged up, right knee and shoulder are sore and had to get 13 stitches around my right eye - it was the glasses that did the damage when I went down, woman who found me on the road said the were jammed into my face, and was lucky I didn't blind myself. My bike is still up there somewhere, one of the neighbours lifted it for safe keeping, but I will not be on it again for a long while yet...

bloody nora. speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

retalivity wrote: »
    Out this morning for a spin and went down when turning on to mount venus road from stocking lane (northwards). Landed on my face and blacked out, came but was pretty groggy, ambulance was called and taken to hospital. My whole right side is banged up, right knee and shoulder are sore and had to get 13 stitches around my right eye - it was the glasses that did the damage when I went down, woman who found me on the road said the were jammed into my face, and was lucky I didn't blind myself. My bike is still up there somewhere, one of the neighbours lifted it for safe keeping, but I will not be on it again for a long while yet...

Jesus! Get well soon!! That sounds horrendous.

I did quite a bit of road cycling during lockdown and beyond into the summer 60km spins or more generally. There was always the fall off the bike on a road worry.

For the last few weeks I’ve put on bigger tyres on the CX bike and rallied around my nearby park. I have to say feels a lot safer and for me anyway it’s more fun, especially with the wet weather bringing mud etc.

I think I’ll be focusing on this kind of cycling for the next while. Into the Phoenix park etc.

any idea why you went down? greasy road surface?

Jaysus, speedy recovery retalivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

any idea why you went down? greasy road surface?

Road was wet but drying, a bit of leaves around, but I was taking it handy anyway (or so i thought). Will check the bike tomorrow and see...tyres have a few month of use in but didnt notice any problem with them before

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement