Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

retalivity wrote: »
    Out this morning for a spin and went down when turning on to mount venus road from stocking lane (northwards). Landed on my face and blacked out, came but was pretty groggy, ambulance was called and taken to hospital. My whole right side is banged up, right knee and shoulder are sore and had to get 13 stitches around my right eye - it was the glasses that did the damage when I went down, woman who found me on the road said the were jammed into my face, and was lucky I didn't blind myself. My bike is still up there somewhere, one of the neighbours lifted it for safe keeping, but I will not be on it again for a long while yet...

Hey pal. Glad to hear you’re ok. I arrived with another biker shortly afterwards. I washed your head out a bit and then bandaged you up (Pretty badly) you were deffo knocked out. You asked me about 3 or 4 times “what happened?”
    I had a similar bang about 3 weeks ago and my concussion headache has only subsided in the past 2 /3 days. I actually thought you had broken your cheek / eye socket too......Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hey pal. Glad to hear you’re ok. I arrived with another biker shortly afterwards. I washed your head out a bit and then bandaged you up (Pretty badly) you were deffo knocked out. You asked me about 3 or 4 times “what happened?”
    I had a similar bang about 3 weeks ago and my concussion headache has only subsided in the past 2 /3 days. Look after yourself.

Thank you! I don't remember that at all....dont remember much before the ambulance, apart from talking to lady who was trying to get in contact with my wife. Pretty shook up but it could have been a lot worse, will probably lay low for the rest of the year now.
    Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Thank you! I don't remember that at all....dont remember much before the ambulance, apart from talking to lady who was trying to get in contact with my wife. Pretty shook up but it could have been a lot worse, will probably lay low for the rest of the year now.
    Thanks again!!

Yeah. Can happen so fast and yep, very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Speedy recovery to all the boarsdies who had falls, just back on the bike after almost 5 week lay off due to back issue again. This time of year a lot of damp leaves about, take care out there.
    Yesterday spin was 62 km avg 28.6 kph with a fair bit of a tow from a fellow strava follower/followee that i met on the road, thanks Eoghan .
    Good to be back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    ....with a fair bit of a tow from a fellow strava follower/followee that i met on the road, thanks Eoghan .
    Good to be back :)
    A fine McNally Swords CC member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yeah he sure is , a gentleman too .... we had a brief discussion about a Donal Macmiles another sound cyclist :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was cycling along the runway earlier, and heard this weird godawful noise off in the distance. didn't know what the hell it was for a second or two, briefly thought 'that can't be a plane engine malfunctioning, can it?
    i then realised it was actually one of the airport support vehicles playing what i assume was the sound of birds in distress over a big loudspeaker. had never heard it before, it's not pleasant sounding.
    the gardai were cruising along slowly along the runway quizzing people who were pulled up to plane spot, too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks again!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery retalivity, horrible thing to happen. I reckon many of us will get a bad fall over the years one way and another and still end up back in the saddle for our sins. On the plus side, given the lock down and Winter, not the worst time to shift over to the turbo for a bit as you mend up.

Have been up that way and through the turn from Stocking lane onto Mt Venus a fair bit over the last few weeks including today and Friday. The combination of leaves and heavy rain has made the surface very dodgy in parts. Between that and the extra traffic and pedestrians, I've been taking it handy enough on Stocking and Cruagh descents. Noticed the back wheel skidding a bit with any kind of hard braking and thats on 40c gravel tyres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Glad you are recovering Relativity, sounds nasty, it made me rethink some of my descents today.

Went up Bray Head myself to the very top today from the golf course side of it, you can get all the way to the top and I imagine you could do it on a road bike if you tried although it would be bumpy. Came back down through the forest to the bottom of the hill that brings you up to Windygates. Needless to say, you take it handy unless on a MTB as the roots are slippy but manageable with patience on a CX bike. Went back up Windy gates and into Belmont Demense, round the 2nd half of the blue track and then stopped for a coffee. Finally went up to the viewing point there, hopped the gate and went up to the Little Sugar loaf. I had to walk most of it at the top a it was to steep. Thought I was at the top but the fog was so bad I may as well have been playing Turok on the N64. Finally got back down to the track and rolled slowly down, lots of walkers so took it handy. Came off once near the bottom where I hilariously stopped to assess a bump and then just fell over it. Lovely day out all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

55 ish km at a very slow 24 avg pace . Been off the bike/turbo for a couple of weeks and started back strength training during the week , bit of a recovery spin

• Advertisement

50k yesterday morning. Slow enough due to lots of hills and very wet and mucky back roads. Some of the local farmers are better than others at keeping public roads clean! Tried for a popular KOM near my home and came home 11th of 2,000 so that's a target for the next few weeks. Strava will be the only thing that'll keep me sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Did a couple of 30Kms spins around the area. One from Dunlaoghaire along the coast and then into Ballybrack then up along the N11. Coffee stop in Stillorgan..down into booterstown at UCD and back along the coast. It was OK. N11 part was a bit grim to be honest. Went outside the 5km I'm sure second time around when I went up to Ballychorus instead of the N11 and then down the Glenamuck road and then into Blackrock and to Dunloaghaire. I'm definitely a lot less fit than I have been which is a drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Out this morning for a spin and went down when turning on to mount venus road from stocking lane (northwards). Landed on my face and blacked out, came to a few mins later but was pretty groggy, ambulance was called and taken to hospital. My whole right side is banged up, right knee and shoulder are sore and had to get 13 stitches around my right eye - it was the glasses that did the damage when I went down, woman who found me on the road said the were jammed into my face, and was lucky I didn't blind myself. My bike is still up there somewhere, one of the neighbours lifted it for safe keeping, but I will not be on it again for a long while yet...

That sounds horrendous, get well soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for 50km this morning along my approximate 5km boundary.
    I lost count of the number of drivers that overtook me on blind bends or with oncoming traffic, one close pass that I called Traffic Watch about and three cars which pulled out from side roads only to be forced to stop because of a poxy cyclist shouting at them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4311690120

To add to my saturday mishap, I have 3 fractures on bones around my right eye, one of which (right zygomatic) needs surgery that i am going in for later in the week.
    On the plus side got my vision checked out at the Eye and Ear clinic in Dublin yesterday and no problems apart from severe swelling. Silver linings and all that.

You were very lucky and thankfully it wasn't worse (sounds like you were close to losing an eye).
    Although it's not important at the moment, how's the bike? A former boss of mine could well be the neighbour that was minding it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

I've only read the last few pages of the thread there now retalivity. Hope your recovery is as smooth and as quick as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cletus wrote: »
    I've only read the last few pages of the thread there now retalivity. Hope your recovery is as smooth and as quick as possible

Same, it sounds like relativity got both unlucky and lucky at the same time. Very best wishes for a swift recovery.

You were very lucky and thankfully it wasn't worse (sounds like you were close to losing an eye).
    Although it's not important at the moment, how's the bike? A former boss of mine could well be the neighbour that was minding it for you.

Got my cousin to collect the bike yesterday and drop it back, its fine, barely a scratch on it! Not in the form to look at it properly or take it apart, but there only appears to be minor cosmetic damage on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

was cycling along the runway earlier, and heard this weird godawful noise off in the distance. didn't know what the hell it was for a second or two, briefly thought 'that can't be a plane engine malfunctioning, can it?
    i then realised it was actually one of the airport support vehicles playing what i assume was the sound of birds in distress over a big loudspeaker. had never heard it before, it's not pleasant sounding.
    the gardai were cruising along slowly along the runway quizzing people who were pulled up to plane spot, too.

That's exactly it, bird distress sounds, meant to attract birds towards that sound, Very pistol then used to disperse same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Mucky 60k today, roads seem really gritty and filthy, need a good spell of rain to wash it away. Got home and just couldn't leave the bike that mucky, the amount of dirt that came off it :-). Nice shiny bike now for the next crappy day!. The Karcher was used carefully it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I think I spent as much time cleaning my bike as riding it today!
    Did a deep clean, wheels off, chain off and took my time. Quite therapeutic really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time in the phoenix park in donkeys for me. nice and quiet (though got beeped at for not using a cycle path which was barely visible for the leaves)

didn't do the loop down into the furry glen - was concerned the road might have been awash with leaves, but the few glances i had from above, it seemed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not sure if we overlapped or not - I was in the Park from about 10 till 1. The Furry Glen was fine once you took it easy but you need to do that anyway as most pedestrians there regard cyclists as intruders. The North Road near the Cabra Gate was probably the worst for leaves that have turned into mush and, like a few others have mentioned, took a lot of cleaning off when back home. I can recommend the Tea Rooms near the Zoo - nice coffee and scone and quite a short queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Actually, just from reading this thread got me wondering if you carry any form of ID when you cycle? I wear a "Road ID" dogtag type when I'm out. Customised with whatever details I want, e.g. name, name of estate & town where I live ( not incl. house no. ) contact details of next of kin, blood type, meds or no meds.
    Needless to say, wishing you the best of luck with the recovery.

I carry my phone in a back pocket inside a plastic food bag. I have my drivers licence in a small plastic bag inside the same food bag (visible if to anyone who takes the bag out of my pocket).
    Unfortunately necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

First time on the bike today in 5/6 weeks due to a few different reasons but mainly due to road works and the amount of wet leaves on the road. I've kept myself busy walking instead.
    Ended up raining just after I left and I almost turned back but it dried up quick enough to a pleasant morning.
    Ended up doing 30kms in 70mins averaging 25.7kph within my 5k. I kept well away from the roads that I knew were covered in leaves.
    Nice to be back out on it again but I was destroyed when I got home due to no mudguards I realises half my rear light had fallen off somewhere so must grab a new one.

https://strava.app.link/G1VFv0x1ibb

Not sure if we overlapped or not - I was in the Park from about 10 till 1.
    fraid not, i didn't leave the house til a quarter to two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

rushfan wrote: »
    Actually, just from reading this thread got me wondering if you carry any form of ID when you cycle? I wear a "Road ID" dogtag type when I'm out. Customised with whatever details I want, e.g. name, name of estate & town where I live ( not incl. house no. ) contact details of next of kin, blood type, meds or no meds.
    Needless to say, wishing you the best of luck with the recovery.

I used always wear he RoadID dogtags, until I was taken down in a race about 5 years ago. I was badly injured, including a bad concussion. I couldn't remember my wife's name, never mind her phone number. Somehow the dogtags went down my back instead of down my chest and the medics didn't see it. I apparently got quite agitated about not remembering names etc.
    Anyway after that I got a RoadId wrist strap in red, which I now wear.

• Advertisement

Only replaced my own RoadID bracelet not that long ago, was about €25 I think it was. Great thing to have and at this stage I'd feel weird going out without it.

You can even get just the info part done up and it will slip onto to some of the strap of some of the sports watches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement