Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Cycling Ireland do an ICE bracelet for members for €6.50. AFAIK it's made by iDMe and you can either order it at membership renewal or by contacting CI.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

RoadID is a brilliant product. Always have the bracelet on me when out cycling. Got it years ago when I used to run. Herself wanted me to have something in case the worst ever happened. Name, DoB, blood type and ICE numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i loathe wearing anything like that. bracelets, watches, wedding ring (i wore my wedding band for two days before taking it off). even the security guard in work gave up telling me to put my staff ID on a lanyard around my neck. any other products which do the same without being a bracelet?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

i loathe wearing anything like that. bracelets, watches, wedding ring (i wore my wedding band for two days before taking it off). even the security guard in work gave up telling me to put my staff ID on a lanyard around my neck. any other products which do the same without being a bracelet?

Like above I've worn a RoadID for years and it would feel weird going out without it.

The one I have is a soft, velcro material type thing and tbh you wouldn't even know you were wearing it. And, like you, I ain't fond of any type of jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I lost all if my usual Zen tonight on Aston Quay, normally I dont get into rows but a taxi driver purposely nudged me while beeping at me trying to force me into the space for the bus stop - i wont go in there because the surface is in tatters but the middle lane is bus and cycle anyway. I just about stayed upright and he went around me.

I caught him at the lights and lost it, he locked his doors and was clearly terrified, I felt like a complete arsehole then. While what he did was unforgivable and he should be banned from driving I felt I let myself down too, I should have taken his details and reported him rather than going ape****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

He made contact with your bike with his car? Vindictively? Lucky for him he stayed in the car imo.

Why are people such assholes over such petty stuff, we all have to live on the earth together, a bit of lee way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I lost all if my usual Zen tonight on Aston Quay, normally I dont get into rows but a taxi driver purposely nudged me while beeping at me trying to force me into the space for the bus stop - i wont go in there because the surface is in tatters but the middle lane is bus and cycle anyway. I just about stayed upright and he went around me.

I caught him at the lights and lost it, he locked his doors and was clearly terrified, I felt like a complete arsehole then. While what he did was unforgivable and he should be banned from driving I felt I let myself down too, I should have taken his details and reported him rather than going ape****

He will think twice in future

You can still report him. A reg check on Pulse and a knock on his door will soften his cough at the very least.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't beat myself up over your reaction if I was you. It sounds justifiable to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if he purposely nudged you, i'd have forgiven you tearing his wing mirror off.

however, i wouldn't bother going to the gardai with it - if they know you lost the rag, they'll use that as an excuse to not do anything.

See I mentioned earlier about them doing ones for sports watches? They do them for helmet straps as well. Which now I think about it is probably more visible to someone in the event anything happens and assuming the helmet stays on.

EDIT: One such example https://iceid.co.uk/helmet-id-for-cycling-horse-riding-and-motorbike-straps/

The other benefit is it's unlikely you will for get to put on your helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

See I mentioned earlier about them doing ones for sports watches? They do them for helmet straps as well. Which now I think about it is probably more visible to someone in the event anything happens and assuming the helmet stays on.

EDIT: One such example https://iceid.co.uk/helmet-id-for-cycling-horse-riding-and-motorbike-straps/

The other benefit is it's unlikely you will for get to put on your helmet.

Thanks for that. Not necessarily for myself, but my wife always gets worried when I go out for a spin, this might assuage her fears slightly

cletus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Not necessarily for myself, but my wife always gets worried when I go out for a spin, this might assuage her fears slightly

Ha ha here mines a nurse, so in the event she gets a call to say I've been hit by a truck she'd likely ask if they did me the courtesy of reversing to finish me off

Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm usually pretty mellow on the road too but a few years back on the Quays heading to Houston a car tried to ram me off the road for some reason. I had to bunny hop up on the kerb to save myself. I followed them all the way to Kilmainham and kicked their wing mirror off. I wasn't proud of myself but I have never been so rattled by someone in my life and it was my natural reaction.

Really wouldn't recommend the rip the wing mirror off reaction. My brother did something similar to a taxi in the Amiens Street bus lane years ago and ended up lying on the ground with two broken front teeth. Fortunately some bystanders held onto the taxi driver while another one fetched a Garda from Store Street. It ended up in Court and my brother got his dental expenses paid plus a bit more. Better letting off steam, taking a few photos and any witness details and following it up with the Guards.

Really wouldn't recommend the rip the wing mirror off reaction. My brother did something similar to a taxi in the Amiens Street bus lane years ago and ended up lying on the ground with two broken front teeth. Fortunately some bystanders held onto the taxi driver while another one fetched a Garda from Store Street. It ended up in Court and my brother got his dental expenses paid plus a bit more. Better letting off steam, taking a few photos and any witness details and following it up with the Guards.

No slight or knock on your brother, but in general terms I'm always amazed at how many people are willing to get into physical altercations without knowing how to fight

cyclists would frequently be at a disadvantage in such situations anyway, it's harder to fight while wearing cleats (i say this as an assumption, rather than borne of actual experience, thankfully - but i have been in at least a couple of scenarios where i was afraid i might have to get off the bike to defend myself)

cyclists would frequently be at a disadvantage in such situations anyway, it's harder to fight while wearing cleats (i say this as an assumption, rather than borne of actual experience, thankfully - but i have been in at least a couple of scenarios where i was afraid i might have to get off the bike to defend myself)

Absolutely, fighting in cleats would be a disadvantage. Not knowing how to throw or take a punch would also be a disadvantage :)

last time i punched someone in anger, it was 1989.

last time i punched someone in anger, it was 1989.

Last time I punched someone in anger was about the same. Last time I punched someone was about September :D.

Anyway completely off topic, so apologies

Last time I punched someone in anger was about the same. Last time I punched someone was about September :D.

Anyway completely off topic, so apologies

I have experience of being knocked out :)

I was just annoyed that I boiled over last night. I'd have preferred to take his details and report him, all I know know is he was in a white Prius which is roughly 87% of the taxis in Dublin

• Advertisement

I have experience of being knocked out :)

I was just annoyed that I boiled over last night. I'd have preferred to take his details and report him, all I know know is he was in a white Prius which is roughly 87% of the taxis in Dublin

I've come across you on the MMA forum, lollipopjimmy, my post wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular, really. More of a life observation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Can relate to all above ^^ I don't go out without ID on - many years just a velcro strap with ID info enclosed and then moved to RoadID. Had the clasp type but the clasp broke within year or so and have now gone to a red silicone strap. Always good discount offers with RoadID and they should likely have a very good Black Friday sale too.

Wing mirrors.. its what I aim for first. Have had a few post collision encounters with wing mirrors. Yes, fighting in cleats would not end well but they put a mighty dent in car doors, and any other part of a car they come in contact with. This from someone who has never raised a fist in his life but when cars come too close or invade my space on the bike then the red mist will come down.

Wing mirrors.. its what I aim for first. Have had a few post collision encounters with wing mirrors. Yes, fighting in cleats would not end well but they put a mighty dent in car doors, and any other part of a car they come in contact with. This from someone who has never raised a fist in his life but when cars come too close or invade my space on the bike then the red mist will come down.

All of which is completely understandable, but won't be much good if you're on your back holding your teeth in your hand

I'd like to think I'd react differently if it happened again. As I said, I wasn't proud of myself. I don't live in Dublin and don't commute on the bike anymore so mostly I have pretty positive experiences with motorists on the quiet country roads I spin around on.

I've come across you on the MMA forum, lollipopjimmy, my post wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in particular, really. More of a life observation

I never pass up an opportunity to poke fun at myself!

I agree with your sentiment 100%

if he purposely nudged you, i'd have forgiven you tearing his wing mirror off.

however, i wouldn't bother going to the gardai with it - if they know you lost the rag, they'll use that as an excuse to not do anything.

Perhaps not, but his reg would still be checked as a matter of course and the reason for checking entered

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've been doing just over 50km most mornings recently before I start work (at home), roughly following my 5km boundary.
    It was nice out this morning, dry and fresh although there was a strong SW wind.
    Early on the spin as I was heading along the N4 bus lane past Lucan, a mini-bus passed me, tooted their horn (it really sounded like a farty little toot!) and then the passenger points out their window towards the cycle path as if I should move or something. It's not the first time that someone in a mini-bus has done this to me along that stretch. Honestly, how do these people not see the big signs along the road?
    Other than that muppetry, an enjoyable morning out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4326083243

I'm going to head out shortly, it looks windy outside.

I've been going outside the 5k but I have reason to with work and I tie in the work errands with the cycle.

The North Road near the Cabra Gate was probably the worst for leaves that have turned into mush and, like a few others have mentioned, took a lot of cleaning off when back home.

Not sure if any of the Phoenix Park staff are on Boards but the cyclepath on the North Road is now cleaned and leafless. If only they could fix the ramps, it would be perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

All of which is completely understandable, but won't be much good if you're on your back holding your teeth in your hand

Agreed.. and I have felt bad about it in the past, but when a family of 5 depending on Daddy coming home the red mist does descend with ignorant drivers.

The most recent was earlier this year when a van decided to slowly undertake a right turning car just as I was in middle of same thing, I banged on his side panel but he just continued on and put me into kerb and a very hasty unclip, and then decided to stop further on to give me verbal! Wing mirror took the slap.. and I then got quickly home through 2 sets of lights before he could catch up. I did feel bad about it.. but he didn't seem to feel bad about cutting me off and putting me into the kerb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement