Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was in the park again today. the cycle path on wellington road is under a couple of inches of well mulched leaves for a significant length of it.

also, first time in tolka valley park, a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

was in the park again today. the cycle path on wellington road is under a couple of inches of well mulched leaves for a significant length of it.

also, first time in tolka valley park, a pleasant surprise.

One lane on Wellington Road is fine and a lot of cyclists use the road when heading downhill. Tolka Valley Park is a hidden gem and you're not allowed to mention it in case it becomes popular! Will watch out for you on the Strava segments (but mind the dog walkers!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, the dog walkers seem to regard themselves as cyclists and walk in the cycle lanes.

i popped in there after seeing your trip through there on strava the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

A group of us have downloaded this app that tracks your activity and ranks you against each other. Good way to keep us exercising during lockdown and force me to get out for a cycle even though I'm bored of the same old roads.
    Unfortunately the app is useless and buggy and no matter how far I cycle I'm not getting the same rewards as other users. Guess I'm just going to have to cycle further!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What app?
    Most people I know who cycle or run would use the likes of Strava or Map My Ride which possibly might be suit better?

• Advertisement

What app?
    Most people I know who cycle or run would use the likes of Strava or Map My Ride which possibly might be suit better?

App is called Fitrockr. Its score is based off calorie burn, so it doesn't have to be Strava specific activity. Any exercise counts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to the Hellfire at lunch, back down and then on up to the viewing point for 23k with 518m of up. Felt bloody cold but trying to get 3-4 modest climbing sessions in per week to keep up my Strava climbing goals. Surprised to see Strava reporting a ninth place on one of the off road sections but GPS was all over the shop, even with clear views of the sky, so reckon it is a bit dubious.

Headed out again this morning for 50km this morning. Found the low sun difficult. A few times I had to put a hand up to my forehead to be able to see the road, conscious that many drivers will continue to drive despite them being in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Short, lunchtime spin with 1 main segment, a straight road just under 3km out and back on same road. Made the rookie mistake of going quick as I could out, knackered so way back was slow/recuperating. Will do it other way around next time

https://www.strava.com/activities/4331429715/segments/2762324361363914852

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭rolling boh

out this morning around dunboyne area weather ok bit of rain towards lunchtime a bit overcsat would encourage cyclists to use lights as saw a fair few in dark clothes with no lights because was a little dark at times .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wimp list today, wind & rain not for me so 3hrs on the turbo. It wasn't as horrific as it sounds

Short enough spin at 35k with 435m of up in the lashing rain and wind. Loads of traffic too for some reason and a pretty miserable spin done largely to keep some Strava goals ticking over. Really need to figure out how to get my ageing Tacx VR unit linked up to Strava for days like today, though a bit of practice cycling in bad conditions is no harm. Really looking forward to escape from 5K too, anyone else watch The Prisoner in their youth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to Kilmuckridge out onto main road to Castlebridge and towards Wexford. Left turn onto coast road to Curracloe, Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home.
    60 km almost 500 metres Avg 25.8kph
    Dodging rain but not the wind.

Logged 70k today in the muck of the backroads with nearly 1000m climbing @ 25kph. Wimped out yesterday so great to get a dry day today. Saw two very large groups far from their home judging by a few of the jerseys, and at least one of them was waved through a Garda checkpoint. Surprising to see today as hadn't seen anyone flouting the rules like that over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Out for the river loop in Perth WA. Ran 27km yesterday and was lazy getting up so was a bit warmer than normal. Fell in with another rider and we took some turns and the pace was pretty brisk.

He dropped me on a hill and I was solo after that. Stopped to tinker with the saddle a few times. Had a bike fit and it’s not right, my hands going to sleep, so moving the saddle back a bit on the advice of the bike fit bloke I went to.

42km at 31kph average and a flat enough 290m elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/4359536781

Planned to join a few others on the road but had nothing in the legs this morning. Decided to go solo and meet at the coffee stop, but felt too tired and headed for coffee and cake early. Then got a call so needed to head home, but managed to hit my years target of 10,000Km

My road bike is in the shop this week so I've been using my old Giant Roam 2 hybrid. Headed along some of the Royal Canal to stay off as many roads given that it's a slow and heavy bike.
    Still managed a little short of 50km at 27.2km/h
    Need to start looking for another road bike for myself.
    https://strava.app.link/aBryctOxxbb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Just a little trip to the chipper.

Through Masseys and the mud and on up to the Hellfire at lunch. Came across a young stag on one of the Coilte paths who wasn't for moving which was a bit odd given the number of people around. Blowy enough coming down Stocking lane so cut across by Mt Venus, taking the corner very gingerly thinking about retalivity's recent tumble. Miserable enough day and arrived back caked in mud, really need to get out more in the crap weather as I'm finding the blowy descents way more troublesome than I used to.

Attempted the climb up to Three Rock for the 2nd time today. First time I ended up starting too aggressive and blowing out. Had to stop 3 or 4 times to make it up.

Goal today was make it to the top in one go. Started slow, finished slower. But I made it.

https://strava.app.link/7V1ym0G9Abb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

Dunno if anyone else went up stocking lane today, but it was complete gridlock at Kilakee House when I was cycling up this afternoon, worst I’ve ever seen it. A load of cars came down the hill and couldn’t pull in anywhere to let the cars going up through, then turned into a stalemate because the last car at the back was refusing to reverse back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hunf

bbuzz wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone else went up stocking lane today, but it was complete gridlock at Kilakee House when I was cycling up this afternoon, worst I’ve ever seen it. A load of cars came down the hill and couldn’t pull in anywhere to let the cars going up through, then turned into a stalemate because the last car at the back was refusing to reverse back.

Last 3-4 times I've been up there at the weekends it's been like that, I gave up on that route and always used Cruagh road instead. Admittedly that was prior to lockdown 5 but it seems not much has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭alentejo

bbuzz wrote: »

They need to put double yellow lines from the start of the steep section of that road (bs the riding stables) to the viewing point on both sides of the road.

Struggling to get the miles in at the moment while staying close to home so sought out every hill I could find within reason. 61k with 1100m climbing @ 26kph. Went in the afternoon as there was ice in my neck of the woods early in the morning and the low winter sun was the greatest thing I had to contend with.

Had an unexpected experience with a boy racer on a very narrow road when he pulled in and let me by instead of gunning straight for me which most others do on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

A short 31km with 450 metres of climbing. After a two week break from the bike, I was shattered up the gentle incline to Tallaght, nevermind when I went up Gunny Hill, Mount Venus, Rockbrook, up the old military road, straight down Harold's Cross and back home to Drimnagh.

Was quite cool, but at least the rain held off, great to be back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I did 100km yesterday all within my permitted 5km radius. Three times up to Lamb Doyle's, Clonskeagh, Rathmines, Walkinstown, Tallaght, Gunny Hill and Tibradden Road. Not as much ascent as I thought it might be but I left out Cruagh and Ticknock because I thought they'd be mental. The loop was roughly 31.5km.

https://strava.app.link/oXkkd6FWEbb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Remember, if you're cycling outside your 5 k and posting about it, we're deleting it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

First spin on the bike yesterday since putting on a new chain. It shifted like dogsh*t.

cletus wrote: »
    First spin on the bike yesterday since putting on a new chain. It shifted like dogsh*t.

Reverse here, shifting was crap up until last week, put a new chain on, re-indexed and all good. The last chain was a bit fecked, too much mucky off-roading without much love for the cleaning.

Masseys and the Hellfire for me again at lunch, loads of different options there but finding the schwalbe g-one allround tyres are pretty useless in the mud. Might need to rethink my tyre options for the Winter months. Either that or pick up a MTB for off-road days close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

In fairness, I never re-indexed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement