Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was out on the bike earlier, but have had a bit of a stiff back from some painting I've been doing so I was stretching a bit on the bike. Got beeped at and realised I was absently mindedly indicating left while stretching and cycling past junctions while the motorist behind me was wondering what I was up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

a very cold -4 real feel while doing 50k and roughly 800m of climbing, but i was absolutely dead at the start of the ride. Had 0 gas in the tank early and the first climb i had to do which is only 3km at 7% or so had my HR up to 185 while going slower than any time in the last 2-3 months. Stupid sport. Never really saw myself so badly impacted by temperature before, wasn't pleasant. Wanted to get sick at the top of the climb. Recovered to finish reasonably less badly off, but v disappointed after a lot of progress to feel so **** for relatively so little reward in terms of speed/performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Never really saw myself so badly impacted by temperature before, wasn't pleasant. Wanted to get sick at the top of the climb. Recovered to finish reasonably less badly off, but v disappointed after a lot of progress to feel so **** for relatively so little reward in terms of speed/performance.

Similar here, short 20k with 424m of up over lunch up to the viewing point and felt like crap on the climb. Funny how the mind wanders when you're climbing, got overtaken by a bloke with a mydigipass.ie logo emblazoned across the buttocks of his shorts. Was thinking if they were mine I'd probably remove the 'p' to make mydigi ass.ie or even rearrange the letters slightly to make dig my ass.ie. No thought too trivial to avoid thinking about the actual task of climbing. Cold weather with blinding low sun but great out for all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Out of interest, what temperature is just to low for people to venture out in? Or how do you gauge it?

I went for 30km Monday, was going to go early but looked like ice in the back garden so left it until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Out of interest, what temperature is just to low for people to venture out in? Or how do you gauge it?

I went for 30km Monday, was going to go early but looked like ice in the back garden so left it until lunchtime.

For me, just ice/snow is a deal breaker, you can always wrap up well, but ice makes it dangerous.

Got out this afternoon myself, did the same as Monday but felt a little better doing it.
    You guys have me absolutely crapping it descending on my Gatorskins, I fear every bend will be a fall - as can be witnessed by my speed heatmap on strava - no red at all.

31km with 430m climbing at an average speed of 21.5 kph.
    Drimnagh, tallaght, Gunny hill, rockbrook, pine forest, across to the viewing point, straight all the way to Harold's cross and home.
    T'was colder today than Monday, but I decided to just go out in the Galibier foul weather and bibtights, I think I've previously overdressed as I was plenty warm.

Lovely bright day for it, really enjoyed it.

https://strava.app.link/k6edpPD3Hbb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went out twice today.
    It was 0-2 degrees and quite damp this morning about 7am so I went out on my hybrid (with 700*40 tyres). Most of my route is on back road with rough surface (which I assume is less likely to allow me to skid) and also on the gravel path along the Grand Canal. Did about 35km @ 26.3km/h.

This evening it was a few degrees higher and fairly dry so I went out on my road bike (carbon) and managed 48km @ 28.9km/h (in the dark)
    Also encountered this pointless overtake in Celbridge (the car had been stopped behind me at the lights)...

I also encountered this no lights & no indicator driver pull out on me in Celbridge main street (excuse the few naughty words)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Depends on where you're going and where the ice is! On club spins from Swords we would usually stick to the main roads that have been gritted when there have been icy conditions overnight. Normally, by the time we've had a coffee in Drogheda, the back roads will have warmed up enough to give a bit of variety heading home. Near the coast is nearly always a few degrees warmer than heading inland and hollows and bridges can be spots where the ice lingers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've spiked tyres which I put on once it becomes icy. Feels a bit like cycling a tractor but lets me get out without being overly worried about taking a spill. I avoid the Sally gap and roads that traffic watch are saying to avoid due to ice but that's about it. Heavy winds would be much more of a concern, and cycling in the snow if you've good winter wear and the right tyres is great gas. This is on a CX/gravel setup with 40c ice tyres and flat pinned pedals or my old hybrid with similar setup.

Anticipating the end of level 5 and the 5km circle, I decided to map a route along my personal circle and headed out from Hart's Corner in this morning's sunshine. I hit the circle just before the M50 at Charlestown and turned right for IKEA and a nice track along the Santry River. I continued on this through Santry Park and picked it up again on the far side of the R132 where it crossed under the Motorway and on to near Northside. Lots of housing followed as I headed down through Artane and Vernon Ave to the cyclepath at Clontarf before heading in through Eastpoint and down Bond Road to the Toll Bridge.
    After landing on the Southside, I viewed the incinerator close up followed by Herbert Park and Donnybrook. Lots more housing around Ranelagh, Kimmage and Harold's Cross before crossing the Grand Canal and Luas line at Goldenbridge where I had a look around the picturesque cemetery. I then had to head in through Inchicore to Kilmainham and the War Memorial Gardens to cross back Northside at Islandbridge. Despite having completed over 70 laps of the Phoenix Park during level 5, I couldn't resist adding another one in the perfect conditions after which I headed back over towards Finglas via the Tolka Valley Park and Cappagh. Back home with 65km on the Garmin in a bit under 3 hours.

Check out my activity and photos on Strava: https://strava.app.link/PzmTNW0mLbb

Out for a bit myself this evening, Citroen waiting at the lights ahead of me covered in Xmas lights!!!!!!

Gave his car a knock and a thumbs up as I pulled up beside him on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

First time out since getting knocked down 12 weeks ago. 30km flat as a pancake. Really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

barrier86 wrote: »
    ...getting knocked down...flat as a pancake. Really enjoyed it

I had to read that a second time :D

Good to hear that you're ok, welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Does the 5k end tomorrow? And then limited to the county until the 18th? 18th to the 6th access all areas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭cletus

Think it's Tuesday...

Managed 75k with 850 climbing @26.5kph this morning while sticking close to home and mainly on very narrow and mucky roads. Covered from head to toe in muck when I got home but enjoyed it. Indexing all over the place on my rear cassette as I had it up on the turbo with training wheel during the week. Despite the lockdown, I don't think I've ever been as fit at this time of the year. Looking forward to testing myself on a few flatter, smoother and wider roads over the Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

cletus wrote: »
    Think it's Tuesday...

Last day of level 5 is tomorrow

First day of level 3 is Tuesday

A call out to everyone who stuck cycling within the 5km,i enjoyed reading about your spins. I managed 3 in the past 6 weeks as I struggled with the loops so took to walking and running.

Can't wait to see more of the county again on Tuesday 😊

and possible snow on the way next weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

65km with 1000m climbing, freezing as per. But I'm in a state of shock. Bike dropped the chain a few times, I didn't think much of it. Ended stuck in the big ring, was a pain in the hole given I had a few climbs still to do, but good for the low cadence work I guess. Got home and inspected the bike to find not one but two chainring bolts missing, explains all the mech issues. I had the bike in for a service 3 weeks ago, it's an expensive full tear down and rebuild. What the ever living ****. I could have come a proper cropper given the circumstances, I'm raging.

65km with 1000m climbing, freezing as per. But I'm in a state of shock. Bike dropped the chain a few times, I didn't think much of it. Ended stuck in the big ring, was a pain in the hole given I had a few climbs still to do, but good for the low cadence work I guess. Got home and inspected the bike to find not one but two chainring bolts missing, explains all the mech issues. I had the bike in for a service 3 weeks ago, it's an expensive full tear down and rebuild. What the ever living ****. I could have come a proper cropper given the circumstances, I'm raging.

That's ****. Somebody didn't tighten everything back up after them. Straight back to the shop

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    Does the 5k end tomorrow? And then limited to the county until the 18th? 18th to the 6th access all areas?
    i think so...
    cletus wrote: »
    Think its Tuesday

Can't believe you guys didn't know that Tuesday is Freedom of the County Day ;)

I know it's not perfect and, for us Dubs the real hills are still out of reach, but five and a half weeks of going around in circles was doing my head in. No offence to the Phoenix Park and to the regular "circuiters" but the first thing I checked after the Taoiseach's speech on Friday was the end of the 5km restriction. Forecast for Tuesday is okay and with socially distanced club spins restarting, it'll be the backroads of NCD, WCD and maybe even SCD for the next few weeks. I might even just get to make my 10k target for 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I created a Dublin Mountain only spin during the first in county restrictions. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33023575

You can pick it up any way around the route but I designed it to be ridden from coast to inland. 1,400m in 92km is ok.

what's the highest point in dublin you can cycle to without leaving the county?
    i see kippure can only be accessed by going into wicklow first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Probably Featherbeds before the turn off for Cunard/Glenasmole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

55 km this morning , very very foggy . Had plenty of lights and hiviz reflective clothing. In hindsight twas too foggy to be out even looking like a Xmas tree :)

Got buzzed by a car on way home ,turned off main road onto some back roads to avoid traffic

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

100km this evening @ 29km/h with a measly 250m.
    There were some amount of flies out this evening, it was unreal. Got dark after about an hour into the spin which meant that the flies disappeared and the roads were quiet so it was nice.
    Tired now though.

Got out before the fog this morning. Only 33km, but took in some of the canal near home, mostly to have a look at how work on the Greenway is going. It did involve lifting bikes over various fences, but seeing as the signs said no quads or motorbikes, I figured that was express consent for my bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well, if you're good enough on a mountain bike then Kippure IS the answer :) (Not that I'd recommend it in winter!)

yep, i realised i hadn't clarified that after i'd posted it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Probably Featherbeds before the turn off for Cunard/Glenasmole

Yep highest I believe is 485m at the turn there is the highest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement