Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Solo ride today, headed to Gorey, out old n11 to Arklow and took coast road back to Castletown ,Ballymoney , courtown, ballygarret, killenagh and home. 65 km Avg 25.5kph.
    The sunny southeast has been devoid of sunshine, it's been overcast Misty weather since Thursday night.
    Went for an hour and half walk on the beach this afternoon, knackered now. Looking forward to a pint tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had planned a long one today, but felt pretty knackered from the get go, so ended up with 89km at a lazy pace down the grand canal, back roads to Punchestown, more back roads towards Ballymore Eustace and back via Ballinascorney. All at a very leisurely pace, and in glorious weather, with all the autumn colours giving a feel of cycling around the shire. Not getting out much recently, so will have to make more of an effort over the Winter.

400394.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Oooh! Where's the picture from?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Oooh! Where's the picture from?

A bit past Eadestown, follow the l-roads to Eadestown GAA to get you there. Lovely spot and pretty much car free cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60 odd k with the club today, great weather and handy pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Beautful day in Roscommon today, rode into the town and met with the club and there were a good few waiting to go out.

Just took it handy doing about 60K with them.

Then rode home a long way round and took the kids out for half and hour when I got back to notch up 115k in total. Fairly banjaxed at the end, legs have got a lot heaver in the past few weeks. I guess last weeks man flu didn't help things tho, couldn't miss a day like today though at this time of year, it was brill!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wandered down to Sandymount, running across the marathoners three times - at Milltown, at the top of Beaver Row and passing Roly's Bistro, fair play to them. Went on towards the sea, exploring Ringsend Park and Sean Moore (?) Park on the way. Had a sit-down on one of the benches looking out at the tide as it was coming in, then started wheeling the bike along the pedestrian pathway inside the grassy linear park at Strand Road. After a while, noticed an adult and two kids way too far out. Stopped to watch them worriedly. Then I faintly heard them calling and calling.

A woman stopped beside me and peered out too. Then she pointed. "It's a dog, over by Poolbeg; it can't hear them! It's just running back and forth frantically."

So I fished out a whistle from the bottom of my bag and started blowing it like billy-o; my ears are still ringing from it a couple of hours later, and the woman beside me hastily jammed her fingers in her ears. Then she pointed again - "Look! He's heard! He's running to them now!" Soon dog and family were reunited. They went gradually inland along the strand, the four of them together, dog now on a lead.

On the way home I tried to record a Strava segment for the first time. Took out the phone, opened Strava, pressed Record. But when I got home it hadn't recorded; no idea why.

You need to let Strava pick up your GPS on the app at the beginning. You should see the circle around your location get smaller after a few seconds. Once it's smaller you're good to record.

P_1 wrote: »
    You need to let Strava pick up your GPS on the app at the beginning. You should see the circle around your location get smaller after a few seconds. Once it's smaller you're good to record.

I can't see how to get it to do that. I'm using it on an iPhone, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I can't see how to get it to do that. I'm using it on an iPhone, by the way.

Silly question but do you have your GPS turned on

Silly question but do you have your GPS turned on

There's no way to turn GPS on or off on an iPhone. I've looked online and a guide from Strava says you can use the app with wifi and data turned off. I've tried it like this, and I've tried it, as normal, with them turned on. I think there just isn't a simple guide to how to use Strava on iPhone.

I've used GPS-using apps on this phone and iPads before - Maps, Google Maps, Here and TomTom - without problems.

(Mods, maybe break this subthread out into its own thread, Strava on iPhone? It's creeping somewhat?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Found out on my commute home last night that both of my front lights will not last long enough to get me to and from work! My previous job had shift start / end times that meant I usually only needed lights one way, and that commute was half of this one.
    Brought the charger into work today so as not to repeat that fun last 2Km in almost total darkness!
    Will shop for a second battery pack later today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There's no way to turn GPS on or off on an iPhone.

Of course there is, in privacy settings.

retalivity wrote: »
    Of course there is, in privacy settings.

I think you're talking about Location Services? and yes, they're on. Strava's are set to 'While using app'.

Ah - according to the many error complaints on this page https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917397-Recording-an-activity-iPhone you have to set the Location Services setting to allow Strava to see your location 'Always'. A bug in the app; most people don't want lots of software companies tracking them at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

35 km pre breakfast spin this morning, beautiful morning

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

6.30 start for me.headed up thru blessington and on up to wicklow gap.my target was to do turlough hil for the first timel.was looking forward to the views from up but I literally couldn't see 100m in front of me wit the fog I took it handy going up turlough expecting it to get steeper but it wasnt 2 bad.I was pushed for time so had to head back the way I came.92k to and back home to tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

9am I set off on what will be my commute to work from D12 to intel in leixlip and then back. First time on a bike in 9 years and it came back to me in a heart beat. Never used cleats or road bike gears before but I took to it like a duck takes to water. Averaged 26kmph over 41 km which was above what I was expecting. On a side note my rear end is in bits and I'll be off out today to get some padded tights as my unpadded ones won't cut it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

3k return loop to supermacs for lunch and back home, puts me exactly on my goal of 5000k for the year, 2 months ahead of schedule.
    The snackbox is tastier for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Found out on my commute home last night that both of my front lights will not last long enough to get me to and from work! My previous job had shift start / end times that meant I usually only needed lights one way, and that commute was half of this one.
    Brought the charger into work today so as not to repeat that fun last 2Km in almost total darkness!
    Will shop for a second battery pack later today

Dynamo hub with proper lights...

For some reason Strava has suddenly started working, except that it isn't blanking out a kilometre of the ride close to my home, oddly. I have it set to 'private' so that may not matter, but it's odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wanted to head out early but managed to lock myself out of the house while walking the dog. I swear to God that dog will be the death of me (some of you may remember I had to kip in the shed after locking myself out with him a while back, in my defence it's a new front door that locks differently)
    So set off to be greeted by a sticky rear brake, hung around town waiting for 2wheel to open but they never did, had assumed Sunday hours so headed to thinkbike in Rathmines who stuck on a new cable and bar tape. Now I'm sitting in Howth trying to find the energy to cycle home

• Advertisement

Wanted to head out early but managed to lock myself out of the house while walking the dog. I swear to God that dog will be the death of me (some of you may remember I had to kip in the shed after locking myself out with him a while back, in my defence it's a new front door that locks differently)
    So set off to be greeted by a sticky rear brake, hung around town waiting for 2wheel to open but they never did, had assumed Sunday hours so headed to thinkbike in Rathmines who stuck on a new cable and bar tape. Now I'm sitting in Howth trying to find the energy to cycle home

You need a bakfiets, then you can take the dog for a cycle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Did a bit around Ticknock today. Happened across a couple in the middle of the Euroskeptic trail; he had set up camp and was bbq'ing away in the middle of the trail while his partner was answering a call of nature :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

For some reason Strava has suddenly started working, except that it isn't blanking out a kilometre of the ride close to my home, oddly. I have it set to 'private' so that may not matter, but it's odd.

I know this will sound weird, but it only blanks it out for other people, not you, so when you view the activity you see all of the route. I've found that looking closely at the map in the activity list I can 'see' the route ends before my house - but once I view the activity it's all shown because it's me.

The other option is to use another browser where you're not logged in.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As Paddy says above - but if you still need reassurance, find someone else who uses Strava and get them to log on their account and show it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

retalivity wrote: »
    3k return loop to supermacs for lunch and back home, puts me exactly on my goal of 5000k for the year, 2 months ahead of schedule.
    The snackbox is tastier for that

I have yet to have my Hillbillys reward this weekend :(

As said above, you can still see your whole ride, others can't.

-=-=-=-=-

Managed to knock out 118km today, which I was fearful of as I haven't really done done any long spins since the GDBR16.

Was grand, and my knees were fine too. It was very much a SASTR spin, Stop And Smell The Roses. I wasn't in a rush, anywhere, just out enjoying myself. Plus I took the "good" bike out. Winter bikes are for "winter" The weather today was grand.

Got lost a few times too, but I did enjoy myself, and that is what counts. bonus for me is that I did a lot of commuting in the past week, as I seem to have gotten over a major mental issue in my head, which was very important. I hope to build on that tbh :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/761654795

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

colm18 wrote: »
    Did a bit around Ticknock today. Happened across a couple in the middle of the Euroskeptic trail; he had set up camp and was bbq'ing away in the middle of the trail while his partner was answering a call of nature :D

SNAP..

Was up there aswell and kept getting a waft of sausages, thought I was losing the plot til I wandered past them, said hello and had a little chuckle.. Class.

Save

I'll be off out today to get some padded tights as my unpadded ones won't cut it :)

Or worse still, they might. Watch those seams... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Not today, but yesterday.
    Got up and out for 9am, very early for me. What a beautiful day for it, a gift to have days like that this late in the year.
    Did 51km, from Clondalkin, up over Ballinascorney, down thru Brittas and onto the N81 and up to Blessington, took the reverse route home.
    Managed an avg speed of 29.4kmph, with 450m of ascent. Easily the fastest solo cycle of any significance over 40km that I've done in a long, long time, if not ever.
    Delighted with it. I've really seen improvement this summer. Now need to keep some fitness and carry that into next year, and try a few races for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

cdaly_ wrote: »

I was going to go for that a few weeks ago but the wheel is out of stock. Then an unexpected cost came up and funds were diverted.
    I have tannus tyres fitted now so I'll wait a while, as a new battery pack is a lot less than the cost of a wheel, lights and the faff with swapping the tyre over

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Athlone -Dublin 135km at average of 29.2km/h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement