Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I was going to go for that a few weeks ago but the wheel is out of stock. Then an unexpected cost came up and funds were diverted.
    I have tannus tyres fitted now so I'll wait a while, as a new battery pack is a lot less than the cost of a wheel, lights and the faff with swapping the tyre over

Does this system stop working when stopped at the cross-roads, walking at the road-side? Not sure I'd have it for lights. Now if it could provide power for your phone etc, it'd be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It depends on what lights you get. If you get one with a 'standlight' function, it stays lit for about 2 minutes after you stop which is plenty at a traffic light/junction. The one drawback with dynamo lights is you cannot take them off the bike to use as a light while repairing a puncture.

Once you have a dynamo setup, you wonder why you spent all those years messing around with batteries...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice day for it out there. just 36km, out over howth and back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

godtabh wrote: »
    Athlone -Dublin 135km at average of 29.2km/h
    that's a fair clip, especially since the wind wasn't much of a tailwind for that cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tonight will be my first dark commute home in a long while. At least it's not raining I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Yesterday rather than today. Out to blessington and on to valleymount, thought about looping around the lakes but decided to turn around because I had to collect one of my kids. I would actually have had time to do it I think, I was waiting around at home for an hour before I left to collect him.

Anyway the reason I posted was to say the woods were gorgeous out that way, I love the autumnal colours. Nice weather yesterday too. Really enjoyed the cycle, had not managed to get out the previous weekend. My phone was low on battery so i didn't track speed etc., but it felt like I was going faster than normal too.

This evening will not be my first dark commute home, but it will be the first time when I leave on time instead of staying on late for something. I guess they will all be dark for the next few months. Still it is an excuse to light a nice fire :)

You would think with the new politics and private members bills actually passing in the Oireachtas now somebody would put down a bill abolishing daylight savings time.

not going to happen if that would put us out of step with the UK; let alone the rest of europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fian wrote: »
    ..You would think with the new politics and private members bills actually passing in the Oireachtas now somebody would put down a bill abolishing daylight savings time.
    If it was abolished it wouldn't make any difference at this time of year. Winter time is the 'real' time. The clocks don't go back as such but return to normal. Summer time is 'false' as it was introduced to lengthen the evening light.

one thing i don't quite get is why the clocks go back 8 weeks before the winter solstice, but don't go forward till over 12 weeks after. why not have it 8 weeks either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Dark evenings now means retirement to Winter quarters with Trainer Road with a weekly spin with the club on a Sunday.

Hoping 12 weeks of Trainer Road will bring me on further next year as I'd like to progress to one or two one day races and also shifting lbs to try become a better climber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I really hate the clocks going back and forward. And while it used to have logical backing - kids walking to school in the dark; our major trade partner using the same time zone - these are gone now; kids are not walking to school (and are unlikely to cycle to school until safe protected lanes are built), and Britain is no longer our largest trading partner.

My cycle today: did my usual buzz out to Ringsend and back, and discovered the main disadvantage of Strava: I was eager to beat my own record, and arrived back as wrung-out as the most used-up of dishcloths. Felt like crap all day, achieved precisely zero hours of work. However, this may be because I'm coming down with the cold that's been seething in the petri dish of Dublin for the last couple of weeks; I attended a concert the other night and it was like a happy campfest for bugs, with hawking and suppressed coughing and helpless sneezing.

The weather did something particularly unfair; not only was it suddenly very brisk, but the heavy southerly headwind that greeted me on my way out reversed itself and was a heavy northerly headwind in my face on my way back.

Still, I now know the distance of the cycle, thanks to Strava, and can pace myself; at the moment my average speed on this cycle is coming out at 12.5km/h (is km/h correct? I see many variations here), which takes in several points where I have to wait at traffic lights, wheel the bike along the pavement for a bit, stop to admire cygnets, have a little sit, happily greet the "Sweet Swan water" plaque, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

3/4 of my rides through out the year are in darkness so doesnt really bother me. Light up properly and you should be fine 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    Dark evenings now means retirement to Winter quarters with Trainer Road with a weekly spin with the club on a Sunday.

Hoping 12 weeks of Trainer Road will bring me on further next year as I'd like to progress to one or two one day races and also shifting lbs to try become a better climber.

Blaming the local bike shop for poor climbing is the ultimate cop out :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Blaming the local bike shop for poor climbing is the ultimate cop out :pac:

Probably one of very few things my bike mechanic can't fix tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Chuchote wrote: »
    I really hate the clocks going back and forward. And while it used to have logical backing - kids walking to school in the dark; our major trade partner using the same time zone - these are gone now; kids are not walking to school (and are unlikely to cycle to school until safe protected lanes are built), and Britain is no longer our largest trading partner.

My cycle today: did my usual buzz out to Ringsend and back, and discovered the main disadvantage of Strava: I was eager to beat my own record, and arrived back as wrung-out as the most used-up of dishcloths. Felt like crap all day, achieved precisely zero hours of work. However, this may be because I'm coming down with the cold that's been seething in the petri dish of Dublin for the last couple of weeks; I attended a concert the other night and it was like a happy campfest for bugs, with hawking and suppressed coughing and helpless sneezing.

The weather did something particularly unfair; not only was it suddenly very brisk, but the heavy southerly headwind that greeted me on my way out reversed itself and was a heavy northerly headwind in my face on my way back.

Still, I now know the distance of the cycle, thanks to Strava, and can pace myself; at the moment my average speed on this cycle is coming out at 12.5km/h (is km/h correct? I see many variations here), which takes in several points where I have to wait at traffic lights, wheel the bike along the pavement for a bit, stop to admire cygnets, have a little sit, happily greet the "Sweet Swan water" plaque, etc.

You can turn on autopause so it'll only record when you're actually moving.

P_1 wrote: »
    You can turn on autopause so it'll only record when you're actually moving.

Thanks! Thought about that, but I'm not that fussed.

I'm going to try to gradually get the 16km-ish cycle down to an hour, but without being so puffed. It's a nice distance to go every day (or so).

i thought that auto-pause was a default. i don't remember having to enable it.

If it's a default, then it's on anyway; I'm just a very slow cyclist. Though the speedo shows me mostly going between 13 and 19km/h. I do walk the bike along pavements and across some roads, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

It seems a lot of the road cyclists are just speed warriors anyway ,so just cycle at a pace that is comfortable to you.
    My average when out is 12-15 km/h ,peaking at 40/45 on down hill stretches .

Doing the Nire Valley Drop back on Sunday just let the speed freaks pass by ,I saw the Deer and enjoyed the ride .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Had a short but quite nice cycle on Wednesday around NCD.

Had a very close call at some traffic lights. I was coming from Donabate, out the Hearse Road and heading up the R132, towards Balbriggan.

I cross at the 2 sets lights just to the right of that roundabout/junction.

Lights went red, I got the green man. Headed across but a car in the 3rd lane broke the lights at speed, did not even see them i assume, but came whithin a few inches of wiping me out. Great start to the cycle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Full winter kit on this morning, crisp morning at 9 am, with a northerly wind. Killenagh to Gorey, Inch, Arklow.. into headwind all the way up. Came back the coast road, to Castletown, Ballymoney, courtown, ballygarret, killenagh and home. 65 km Avg 25kmph
    Beautiful morning for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Good 56km in this morning, should have been 65ish but slept in. Group spin was meeting at 8:30 which is when I woke up so went hammer and tongs to try and catch them on the way to Drogheda, burnt a lot of matches on before hit Murtaghs Pub. Met the group in Julianstown on their way back and flew home. Much easier riding in the group.

Had pretty much full winter gear on, bib tights, Vest, SS jersey, and softshell, after looking at the weather forecast but didn't need it. Was actually quiet nice out with the sun up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

had a lovely 79kms in the lanes of NCD. first time i can remember my toes being cold! Next week lycra overshoes at least!!!!

Yep, cold toes here too, also around ncd. The roads were clogged with cyclists.

Club spin today, Kilsheelan to Dungarvan then loop back around. Nice route but got very windy around Dungarvan with a stiff NW breeze keeping lads very quiet and full concentration required as the crosswind was tricky.

It was the first proper outing for my winter steed, Thompson R7200 with a new set of Fulcrum Quattro on it. I was very impressed by the wheels and bike felt lovely on the road. I just wish I could mange to fit 25's on the frame.

Clothes wise i went with Galibier Minstral, Merino Wool base layer with a sleeveless Aldi over it. I was more than comfy and jacket did the job required.

119km with an average of 28km and even with only two weeks of Trainer Road behind I felt the improvement already.

Yep, cold toes here too, also around ncd. The roads were clogged with cyclists.

Now, there's a happy complaint!

yep, passed a couple of groups in swords kit, the blanchardstown wheelers, and another bunch in a multicoloured top i didn't recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A bit of a jaunt around the cliff walk in Howth this afternoon, may have taken a wrong turn that led to some pretty ouch climbs. The missing link of the cycle track at Dollymount looks quite nice indeed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/767918749/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Solo ride again today for billynomates . Killenagh, ballycanew, Gorey and headed for Clogh to try and have a tailwind for return, on to Camolin and to Ferns. Took left turn in Ferns heading for The Harrow, on to boolavogue, ballyedmund, straight across main road for last 5km to nice warm house. 50 km on the button in just over 2 hours, Avg 25 kmph. Happy to do just 50 km today, have the makings of a head cold man flu type of yoke festering, something women will never understand :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Cycled up to the mast on mt Leinster. I never wanted to give up and walk as much in my life but too stubborn so I made it to the top and was delighted with myself. Felt like 100kmph on way down!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement