Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

Can't seem to sleep despite having a bottle of wine with my dinner. Might head out for a quick 10k, usually leaves me sufficiently tired to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

DUI applies to bikes too, doesn't it? (RUI?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

positron wrote: »
    DUI applies to bikes too, doesn't it? (RUI?).

yes, it does.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/drunk-cycling-longford-court/

Eamonnator wrote: »

I wouldn't dare get on the bike if I was hammered. Had my drink a good few hours previously. I still feckin came off the bike after hitting a pot hole in the dark for my troubles. All good though just a few scratches and a.bruised ego.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycling is different than driving, for a motor vehicle you have to not drink, ie when they test you, you have to be under a certain limit which basically means, don't drink before driving by a good few hours and realistically, from a legal perspective (not moral, I am against it, so not getting into the ins and outs), anything within 12 hours even 24 hours with a particularly heavy time of it, you are chancing your arm. On a bike, you must be able to control your vehicle, this is at the discretion of the garda, so you can drink but if you are suspected of that having influence on your ability to control the bike, then you can be done for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

35k this morning. We almost got away with it, but 5k from home, the rain started and we were like drowned rats when we got home! Wind was strong but it wasn’t cold today, but the rain turned a pleasant cycle into an endurance test!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lumpy 40km done back on the road bike first time in weeks. not sure why theres a wind warning though !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

not sure why theres a wind warning though !
    I'm looking out my front window* at the trees swaying quite a lot. The forecast says that the winds here are close to 50km/hr and I could easily believe it.

* grounded because of Achilles injury and now a secondary injury from walking on my toes all week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Lovely afternoon here in D8. I should have held off spin until now instead I got absolutely soaked this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

bazermc wrote: »
    Lovely afternoon here in D8. I should have held off spin until now instead I got absolutely soaked this morning

I went running instead.
    Windy and lashing rain.
    By time I got home wind had died and not a drop since.
    Murphy's law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Did the Highlands e-fondo on RGT, 4 timed sections in a 50km+ ride, first serious sustained effort I'd made this year,always a shock to the system....

https://www.strava.com/activities/4784762816

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Trees were horizontal this morning it was so windy and by the time it dies down i had been roped into digging up the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's what i ended up doing too.

Just did my first 30k cycle (30.6) in 1:27. Wasn't too bad bar a bit of discomfort/numbness in the hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no harm takign your hands off the bars occasionally and shaking them.

no harm takign your hands off the bars occasionally and shaking them.

Who will steer the bike though?

Yeah I did, I don't have drop bars so try to play about with hand position too but I'm sure it'll get better with time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was the numbness due to cold or to the position of your hands on the bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

BiggJim wrote: »
    Just did my first 30k cycle (30.6) in 1:27. Wasn't too bad bar a bit of discomfort/numbness in the hands.

did you have a back operation recently?

I've some bulges in my spine and have been referred to a surgeon. Not looking forward to that.

Was the numbness due to cold or to the position of your hands on the bars?

Position on bars. Only noticed toward the end and it faded very quickly not too worried.

jrby wrote: »
    did you have a back operation recently?

I've some bulges in my spine and have been referred to a surgeon. Not looking forward to that.

No Jesus lol just from leaning on the bars. It's fine I'm really not worried about it, it was my longest ride yet.

Hopefully they can manage your back problems conservatively.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Out today for a little while. 40 km around the park. Even wore shorts and a lighter long sleeve jacket than I've had to for sometime.

yeah, i was out - lightish long sleeve top and leggings (not bib leggings) and got home thinking shorts would have been better.

BiggJim wrote: »

Would a pair of these help you?
    They give you a couple of different hand positions.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-ergonomic-handlebar-grips/rp-prod155625

I don't think BiggJim will be able to respond, looks like he's been banned.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Joined Feb '21. That must be some kind of record

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably because he forgot the #allwithinmy5km disclaimer on his 30km cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

positron wrote: »
    Google Maps did that to me once. Dead end with a gap in the hedge opening to a field full of something.

Of the apps I've tried so far, Komoot is by far the best. One free map (usually covers your county). Managed to do a lap of Co. Louth using their free map - easy to fine tune your route on the website, and the follow / tweak during the ride. And mainly, no dead ends.

Made the mistake of using Google maps for a ride in France a few years ago, and learned a lesson. Going through a huge pine forest in the Medoc, the phone was adamant I should turn right down a "track" that was probably not even much of a track if at all when the forest was planted. This was their normal cycling navigation, not some off-road variant

So turned into a much longer than anticipated 120km spin in torrential rain, last 30km or so practically without brakes (flat down there thankfully) as the rain mixed with very fine sand thereabouts made mincemeat of the disc pads

I use Komoot these days, but have used https://cycle.travel/ before which was quite decent if you've got something else to do the turn-by-turn on the phone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Airport direction instead of the park. Going eastbound was a lot of fun with the westerly wind, became a slog anytime I turned west though, but probably did more for the legs.

35km in 90 mins and then consumed it all back in pancakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Weepsie wrote: »
    35km in 90 mins and then consumed it all back in pancakes

Feckin forgot pancakes, dagnabbit!!

Got out today myself, 41 km at 24kph - jeez that wind was strong, but luckily it wasnt gusty, but it was ALWAYS a headwind for me. :D

Up towards Tallaght, over by knocklyon, Rathgar, City Centre, to the Pheonix Park and home.
    Damn you Mercian Pro for your looping idea, I keep getting "lost" and ending up on tracks, or car parks.

Bike needed a good wash when I got home, she's now sitting up in the box room drying.

I really gotta explore the park more.

https://strava.app.link/uSIktDcCVdb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement