Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice day out there; feels like a decent spring day on the atlantic seaboard with that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its lovely out there today, got my spin in in the morning before work.
    Pity its all going to crap again for the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Park this morning before working at home and gardening. 42 km at a meandering 22 kmph.

I was very tempted to take out the good weather bike but I stuck with one of my Genesis tanks. I won't know myself when I'm back on the other one, though I'll have to remember I can't cut corners on grassy banks and mudtracks etc.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4800782489

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for the last three days, trying to get my Feb Strava climbing challenge back on track. Replaced the snow tyres with my Schawlbe G-Ones last night and the difference was very satisfying. While the G-Ones still aren't the fastest at a 38c semi-knobbly I saw about 20% of a speed increase from the spikers for a similar effort. I reckon I'll just turbo any further ice days this year. 26k with 400m of climbing at 22kph today. Nasty enough head winds on Edmonstown road but grand outside of that, could have been sketchy further up so kept to a smaller local loop.

Back in the saddle at lunch time after a week and a half out sick. Took it nice and handy. 43k @ 25kph with 700 up. Brutal wind, but nice to be back out in the fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Walked to Spar today.

Must put it on Strava... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

fat bloke wrote: »
    Walked to Spar today.

Actually jealous.

Chicken fillet or breakfast roll?

dahat wrote: »
    Actually jealous.

Chicken fillet or breakfast roll?

No mask so more window-lickin' than finger-lickin' :)

Walked to Spar today.

Sounds like the surgery went ok so. Hope it wasn't too grim and your back on two wheels soon enough. Weather looks a bit ropey for the next couple of days so dithering on getting out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First road spin since Jan 17th today, delighted to get out & about with muscle memory still knowing that I need to turn the handlebars when going round a bend.Headwinds, tailwinds and asshole drivers, can’t say I missed two of those!

45km @ a brisk 32.5 avg, roll on Sunday as weather looks okay at this stage.

• Advertisement

Got out for 45k at lunch time. 25kph with 700 of up and a savage wind to contend with.

Have decided not to bother focusing on average speed anymore as was getting bored with same loops and am picking 2-3 strava segment per rides as full gas efforts instead.

Nearly killed me but made a fourth and ninth overall on two local climbs, which I will take given I am hauling 90kg with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usual 27km spin for me, that was windier than expected.
    wore the mistral for the first time today - just leggings and the jacket, nothing under the jacket, and i reckon that was about as cold as i'd go with it for a short spin without any baselayers. 6C and 33km/h wind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

25km loop around Tramore with a stiff breeze from the SW. Only 2nd ride of the year for me due to a combination of kids not being in school, rubbishness of the weather in general, and a sprained ankle that's taken it's sweet time to clear up. Fitness has evaporated since Christmas, but having had a few extended periods off the bike before, it'll come back to something reasonable fairly quickly. Mornings are getting brighter now so there'll be more opportunities from now on to get out for an hour before herself goes to work

Short one for me, only 12k, totally bogged down in mud trying the outer paths on Masseys and called it quits when it started raining. Nasty enough wind too didn't help much.

smacl wrote: »
    Sounds like the surgery went ok so. Hope it wasn't too grim and your back on two wheels soon enough. Weather looks a bit ropey for the next couple of days so dithering on getting out myself.

Went well yeah, thanks. Pretty shattered after it though and under no illusions about getting back in the bike for a while. Middle of March maybe I could aim for, but as you say yeah the weather isn't the Mae West at the minute anyway. Its as good a time as any to be up on blocks :)

usual 27km spin for me, that was windier than expected.
    wore the mistral for the first time today - just leggings and the jacket, nothing under the jacket, and i reckon that was about as cold as i'd go with it for a short spin without any baselayers. 6C and 33km/h wind though.

I too went the same direction (airport), and I take a longer route to get there, did the same loop but rather than come back via the south parallel / long term parking I go straight on as if I'm going to Charlestown. It's seemingly 2km shorter of a trip, but must be shorter still given in marginally further away.

The parralel road is longer than I thought obviosuly

i think i saw a single plane actually leaving or arriving today, and that was during i think 11km of cycling just along the runway. don't think i heard any others when i would have been within earshot either.

We don't actually care where anyone cycles. That's their business. If you feel like you are above the restrictions facing us all, have at it.

Stop posting about it though and repeatedly posting your routes that are a clear violation of the limits that we are all fed up with.

It's not that hard to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weepsie wrote: »
    We don't actually care where anyone cycles. That's their business. If you feel like you are above the restrictions facing us all, have at it.

Stop posting about it though and repeatedly posting your routes that are a clear violation of the limits that we are all fed up with.

I'm guessing this was a reply to a deleted post? :confused:

Stark wrote: »
    I'm guessing this was a reply to a deleted post? :confused:

Yes, as most people kind of know by now but we unfortunately need to frame it for everyone.

• Advertisement

Went well yeah, thanks. Pretty shattered after it though and under no illusions about getting back in the bike for a while. Middle of March maybe I could aim for, but as you say yeah the weather isn't the Mae West at the minute anyway. Its as good a time as any to be up on blocks :)

Your name is a complete misnomer too anyway so you;ll be grand, and the Bowman deserves to wait for a properly nice day

Had booked a day off ages ago for something that has long since been cancelled. Plan was to get out for a decent spin but the monsoon put paid to that. Made do with an hour and a half on the turbo but it's hard to muster the enthusiasm for it when you've had a taste of the real thing of late. A few half-hearted efforts thrown in. Fingers crossed Sunday is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was out yesterday for a spin. On the Julianstown Drogheda road, I was (really) close passed completely unnecessarily( wing mirror centimetres from my elbow) by a single occupant car. It happened a couple of hundred metres south of Moorehall Nursing home, outside of which, there is, quite often, a Covid checkpoint. As luck would have it, the checkpoint was there, so I put the boot down and cycled as hard as I could to keep up. Luckily, there were a couple of cars stopped at the checkpoint. I got to it just as my man was being spoken to. I spoke to the Garda and told him what had happened. He asked me did I want to make a complaint. I said I did. He asked me and the motorist to pull in to the side of the road. I told him my story, he went back and spoke to driver. The Garda told me, if I wanted to make a statement, I could call to the Garda Station today to do so. We all went about our business. The Garda rang me this morning and asked me what I was going to do. He told me that he was issuing a fine for a separate offence, whether or not I wanted to further my complaint. I told him to carry on and that I thought that was sufficient punishment.
    Happy with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Well done Eamonnator. I was advised by a very helpful Garda in Finglas a few years ago that making a statement can lead to a prosecution but normally only if there is a third party witness or video footage. In my case she assureded me that, even without a formal statement and evidence, my complaint would go on the Pulse system and would pop up if the driver "came to their attention" again or if he ended up in Court on a road traffic offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yes, always complain, I didn't once and came to regret it afterwards

It may well not go anywhere (though being on PULSE may help if there's further misbehaviour) but if you don't complain there's literally zero chance they won't endanger someone else

I've a real bug bear re bad driving, causes so many unnecessary deaths. Need to start banning people for short periods seizing their cars for a few weeks for relatively minor offences instead of waiting till they kill someone when it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Considering in post number 9 in the “are you keeping to the 5km restrictions” thread you freely admit to going outside the 5km yourself I find your attitude towards this a bit galling tbh. Of course you’ll come back and say it’s only half a kilometre but if you are going to call other people out I think it matters. Also, calling others who do it “selfish *****” two posts later isn’t great now is it?
    “Do as I say, not as I do” eh?

Considering in post number 9 in the “are you keeping to the 5km restrictions” thread you freely admit to going outside the 5km yourself I find your attitude towards this a bit galling tbh. Of course you’ll come back and say it’s only half a kilometre but if you are going to call other people out I think it matters. Also, calling others who do it “selfish *****” two posts later isn’t great now is it?
    “Do as I say, not as I do” eh?

Ouch, you got me, Fair enough, but It's really nothing like that at all though and you know that as you've very, carefully selectively quoted there. Anyway, that Thread was locked, posters warned and everyone copped on since

Poster has repeatedly been posting routes that are 15-20 km out .was privately asked to stop, has had posts deleted

This was a reminder to stop that. For your benefit, I've stayed within the 5 except for going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

An Irish solution for an Irish problem?

I think a better solution to this would be to encourage all posters who do not agree with this provision to email their local politician pointing out how ridiculous they feel it is and ask them to change it. Regulations are due to be renewed on March the 5th. I don't think anyone on here actually thinks the 5k limit applying to cyclists makes any sense at all. And if they do, those people should be in their houses on turbos and not posting about ridiculous 40 - 50k loops within their 5k (which for anyone living in an urban area, is a far greater public health risk than breaching the 5k)

So email your local representative, tell them how you're concerned at how current regulations criminalise people for walking out their front door without a "reasonable excuse" (they actually do this), ask them what they think of this and indicate that if they continue this criminalisation you won't vote for them again?

A thread entitled "tell us about your 5k cycle" is basically like a thread saying "tell us about the best sex you almost had"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Its a fair comment asking if doing a 70km cycle in an urban area using 5km loops is really a pass to get on a high horse when lecturing someone who does a 20km out and back in say a rural area. A better solution would be to suspend the thread until restrictions are lifted.
    Neither of the above examples are in the spirit of the 5km restriction, and should not be posted.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Its a fair comment asking if doing a 70km cycle in an urban area using 5km loops is really a pass to get on a high horse when lecturing someone who does a 20km out and back in say a rural area. A better solution would be to suspend the thread until restrictions are lifted.
    Neither of the above examples are in the spirit of the 5km restriction, and should not be posted.
    5km radius is 30km circumference circle, not a 5k loop. Sure, you don't get this in reality but most of us can find a 30k-40k loop in our zone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement