Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Come on lads. Despite what we've been inculcated to believe we actually live in a democracy. If you've strong views either way please email your local reps.

Smacl you cannot in any intellectual honesty say you doing loops of hellfire, cruagh, massey is any better or worse than me doing so. Next to no one lives up there.

I really hope you don't arrive at the point where you say I'm not going down that fireroad, with no one on it, because it will take me briefly outside my 5k. If you do there are voices in your head that don't need to be there. Seriously. No amount of piety will redress that.

A much better title for this thread would be "my socially distanced spin today" because as has actually been attested to on this forum, it's the coffee stop we should be wary of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

a148pro wrote: »
    Come on lads. Despite what we've been inculcated to believe we actually live in a democracy. If you've strong views either way please email your local reps.

Smacl you cannot in any intellectual honesty say you doing loops of hellfire, cruagh, massey is any better or worse than me doing so. Next to no one lives up there.

I really hope you don't arrive at the point where you say I'm not going down that fireroad, with no one on it, because it will take me briefly outside my 5k. If you do there are voices in your head that don't need to be there. Seriously. No amount of piety will redress that.

A much better title for this thread would be "my socially distanced spin today" because as has actually been attested to on this forum, it's the coffee stop we should be wary of.

Fireroads local to me around Masseys, Hellfire, Cruagh and Kilmashogue have lots of people on them mid-week and are mobbed at the weekends, to the extent I avoid them. Stocking lane is regularly backed up with traffic trying to get into the carpark. As for whether or not you decide to comply with the legally binding 5k restrictions, that's your call, personally, I do. And yeah, there are plenty of other fire roads and more interesting routes just a few k outside of my 5k that I'm missing out on, we're all living Groundhog day to some extent or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would also ask that if you are mailing your local politicians, please also pray to the weather gods as an upswing there would also be welcome.

I don't know MB I have to fill that fcking pond you made me dig (it only took me a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I come in peace :) between the covid19 restrictions, work situations and the bleeden weather we are all getting a bit tetchy. Be careful and be safe. I'll revisit this thread when we are in a better place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, can we return to chat about what you did on your bike - this thread isn't a debate thread, and at this point we're all going round in circles (pun intended) with our opinions on the restrictions, and will just end up at loggerheads otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in over 70k in my 5k limits.
    Could hit the ton if i tried i reckon

Pretty flat, but a nice wind blowing.
    2:40 or so

Really enjoyed it despite getting nowhere, started pretty early and very few cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Between Covid19 and House stuff, I wasn't on the bike for all of Oct20 until the end of Jan21. I just didn't have the heart to drag a bike out of the attic.

But been getting back into it recently. Did another small 21km around Firhouse yesterday, in the miserableness. I don't mind wet & cold. The wind is soul destroying though. That said, I'm lucky that my 5km has Ballycullen as it centre, so I can almost go all the way up the piperstown climb to the Featherbeds, bar the last 100 metres or so. However, it will be a while before I get my climbing legs or spirit back!

As an aside... I did do a bit of walking/Jogging/Running last year and my God do I have a lot of respect for people who "run". That is really, really tough on the body. A 5km Rog for me was like doing 100km on the bike with 1500m of climbing :D

my usual spin with double lap at the boot inn at the airport today. only thing unusual about it was the ryanair plane sitting in the middle of the runway surrounded by fire tenders and emergency vehicles. turns out their brakes overheated; ATC saw smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

What a week for me five 50k spins outside and 2 days on the Wahoo compared to one spin outside in the previous 6 weeks
    Hopefully from now on the spins on the Wahoo are going to be infrequent as the weather improves
    But have to ay I was a little disappointed to see groups of eight to ten riders on the road and at the usual coffee stops that I would pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Finally got out today, first time in a long time and the first real effort post covid.
    First 30 minutes were horrible, just hacking and gasping but once the lungs accepted they need to breath again I felt great.
    No legs for climbing, felt decent on the flat. Overall much slower than I remember.

Was short on time this week so just 15km in 45minutes, my plan is to build that over the next few months and perhaps get into a group/club.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3hrs outside on a decent day with a stiff breeze and one unwelcome shower when just home.

Passed plenty lads in pairs, not sure that’s advisable the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fab cycle today, reminded me of Easter cycles , warmish breeze, no fighting headwinds or needing to go to bed cos I was that cold arriving home.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Lovely 70km within my 5km, great day for it. First non turbo spin since mid Jan. Reacquainted with close passes and traffic. Maybe its just me, but i feel more triggered when close passed by someone with a bike rack on their car.

Similar to a few posts above, passed a group of 5 lads, advertising their club with their kit too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

3 laps of Phoenix Park today. First decent spin in a while. Currently have an injury that means no running so feels like I'm getting no exercise at all. Great to get out on the bike again.

Funny how much of a difference replacing a wheel and a few components makes to the enjoyment of the ride.

I'm going to endeavor to try and get out a few times during the week if I can. I've picked up a cheap turbo trainer too so hoping to get some use out of that too.

Looks like I won't be running in the next few months so I'll have to try to get into some sort of cycling routine.

If anyone could recommend a training plan it would be good. I've heard good things about trainer road I may give that a go.

On a side note the park is pretty stressful with the sheer amount of foot and road traffic in there today, must try and get there earlier in future. It was midday by the time I got out today.

May need to put a bell on the bike or something. Anyway, good spin, around 48km @ 24km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

lovely day for a spin out around Dunboyne lots out only saw a few pairs but hopefully if the good weather comes people do not go out in groups as it may well bring attention to cycling as the 5k looks like staying for a while and i do not think bigger groups are staying anyway in 5k as am sure plenty of solo ones are not either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

adrian522 wrote: »
    On a side note the park is pretty stressful with the sheer amount of foot and road traffic in there today, must try and get there earlier in future. It was midday by the time I got out today.
    Sounds like the park was jammers today...
    https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1363466158230425601?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hunf

Sounds like the park was jammers today...

Yeah was out for a bit in the afternoon, parking was so packed that people were just parking everywhere, all the way up the Glen road, Acres road, Kyber. Cars backed up all the way from Chapelizod gate through the Kyber junction and up towards the roundabout, same at the Castleknock roundabout. Really makes things less enjoyable when you've to worry about getting doored and navigating traffic on roads that are half their usual width because of parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭mvt

Phoenix park was a tad uncomfortable at times with some woeful car parking & also inconsiderate road users of all types.
    Still, it was really nice to be out & the difference in temperature from last weekend was a huge bonus & bodes well for the spins ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

With everyone so confined with WFH & 5km limits situations like the park today will keep happening unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

100km with 1,000m ascent within my 5km radius. I used it to it's fullest extent, Gunny Hill twice, Stocking Lane once and Kellystown Road once. Parking outside the back gate of Marlay Park was mental.

66k with 1200 climbing at 24kph. Included two hills that top out at 23 and 22 per cent in the loop and there wasn't a flat bit anywhere on the route so was fairly slow going on pot holed back roads with water streaming down them.

I think I hallucinated about a flat, smooth road and doing 32kph without breaking a sweat while pointing the wheel up yet another tarmac wall today.

Anyway, good to get out. Passed two separate groups of four for the first time since Xmas. I have a feeling that announcing that restrictions will continue until May will not do the government any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I also passed a few groups of two or more today, most well spaced out but I imagine that doesn't mean much at 30kph.

I have a feeling that announcing that restrictions will continue until May will not do the government any favours.

As many posters will know, to their annoyance, I've been banging on about the 5k limit since day one, but I've never seen the level of discourse or criticism of it as I have in the last week to ten days. Well, not in the media, but in the comments section of articles in the media / on twitter. Coming so soon after a massive spike and the deaths and fear that followed it just shows people have had enough. Apart from anything else people in public health need to realise and adapt or people are just going to start breaking everything.
    CianRyan wrote: »
    I also passed a few groups of two or more today, most well spaced out but I imagine that doesn't mean much at 30kph.

This bothers me to be honest - I'd hate if the prospects for cyclists were to be affected by people doing this. Would strongly advocate for people to go solo, or one or max two other cyclists, well distanced (they were taking up the whole road Joe). Phalanxes of cyclists in club gear are red rags to the rest of the world at the best of times, in current circumstances will just make it worse.

Anyway - there is hope. At least one party leader has decided to all BS on the rule, all we need to do now is get Michael Martin into power:-

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-5km-limit-5109093-May2020/

Oh wait...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As it turns out, apparently, another reason for the keeping of the 5km rule is that the emergency public health legislation that stops evictions in the pandemic needed a "trigger" rule to allow it to be enforced as otherwise it would have been unconstitutional i.e. not related to public health. One of those rules was the 5km restriction, so if they lift, evictions can start being processed again. Now this is 2nd hand form the TV3 reporter on twitter so its accuracy is unknown to me. It doesn't sound right so I will leave it to others to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's there in the legislation: https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2020/17/eng/enacted/a1720.pdf
    An emergency period, in relation to the tenancy of a dwelling, shall be a period in
    respect of which the Minister for Health makes relevant regulations which impose
    restrictions on travel outside a 5 kilometre radius of a person’s place of residence,
    being the dwelling concerned, during a period specified in the relevant regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I approached two checkpoints on my bike today and on both occasions the guards waved me through without asking Qs. I don’t think they mind cyclists.

Re people cycling in groups in their club gear, surely this reflects poorly on their clubs? Seems a little unfair on their fellow members..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Can you not give it a rest and let people just post about their cycles within their 5km without coming in all the time banging on about how you break the rules.

There is a full forum already on boards to argue the legality of the 5km so can you not go there.

It's ironic that the idiots breaking the rules are the same ones banging on about them when they get extened.

3 people were pulled out of the water in Galway this week and schools are still closed, some posters here need to put some perspective into this situation.

a148pro wrote: »
    As many posters will know, to their annoyance, I've been banging on about the 5k limit since day one, but I've never seen the level of discourse or criticism of it as I have in the last week to ten days. Well, not in the media, but in the comments section of articles in the media / on twitter. Coming so soon after a massive spike and the deaths and fear that followed it just shows people have had enough. Apart from anything else people in public health need to realise and adapt or people are just going to start breaking everything.

This bothers me to be honest - I'd hate if the prospects for cyclists were to be affected by people doing this. Would strongly advocate for people to go solo, or one or max two other cyclists, well distanced (they were taking up the whole road Joe). Phalanxes of cyclists in club gear are red rags to the rest of the world at the best of times, in current circumstances will just make it worse.

Anyway - there is hope. At least one party leader has decided to all BS on the rule, all we need to do now is get Michael Martin into power:-

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-5km-limit-5109093-May2020/

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I approached two checkpoints on my bike today and on both occasions the guards waved me through without asking Qs. I don’t think they mind cyclists.

There may be an assumption by some gardai that many cyclists can't or simply don't go that far on their bikes.

I always indicate, either by speaking or gesture, that I'm doing loops of my radius when I pass a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

velo.2010 wrote: »
    There may be an assumption by some gardai that many cyclists can't or simply don't go that far on their bikes.

I always indicate, either by speaking or gesture, that I'm doing loops of my radius when I pass a checkpoint.

They pull people if they see them in the mountains apparently. Never had issues with the ones on the quays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement