Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Stark wrote: »
    They pull people if they see them in the mountains apparently. Never had issues with the ones on the quays.
    Yeah, I've heard of guards catching folk around Wicklow, but I was thinking more of urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Can you not give it a rest and let people just post about their cycles within their 5km without coming in all the time banging on about how you break the rules.

3 people were pulled out of the water in Galway this week and schools are still closed, some posters here need to put some perspective into this situation.

Relax. I also did not say anything about me breaking the rules. I only mentioned it at all because the previous like 7 posts had all been about the 5km.

If you mean suicide one of the main reasons why I want this changed is people's mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thread has become too much about regulation that people getting out & about.

Agree. And its not fair on others or the mods. I'll shut up if everyone else shuts up!

Or Mods, how about a thread called "when will they lift the 5k limit" where we can rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Again there is a forum already dedicated to the restrictions.

As for you mental health concern, same bull crap used by everyone when they don't agree with the restrictions.

As a I said get some perspective and maybe instead of sending emails on the restrictions to councilors then contact the mental health organisations and give them some help.

a148pro wrote: »
    Agree. And its not fair on others or the mods. I'll shut up if everyone else shuts up!

Or Mods, how about a thread called "when will they lift the 5k limit" where we can rant

• Advertisement

Again there is a forum already dedicated to the restrictions.

As for you mental health concern, same bull crap used by everyone when they don't agree with the restrictions.

As a I said get some perspective and maybe instead of sending emails on the restrictions to councilors then contact the mental health organisations and give them some help.

Yeah it's all bull crap. That's why a close young relative is going into a psychiatric hospital next week is it? That's why I brought a friend to residential rehab this week is it? That's why I'm down with an elderly relative now who said she couldn't say it on the phone but the last two weeks have been really dark for her?

Attack me if you want for posting it but please don't play that bull **** card on me. You don't know me or anything about me. People are on their knees. Me helping out with an organisation will achieve nothing, not my skill set either. If we could get our myopic government to stop this charade it would make a huge difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and back to the posts about what you did do on your bikes, folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

First proper dry day and sun was shining too - isn't it amazing what a bit of sunshine can do to the mind!

I could have cycled for couple of hours but instead I took the kids walking to the playground and back - about 6k in total - stopping along the way to notice and discuss everything from fresh daffodils to dogs to trigonometry to amazing Boyne Viaduct to vandalised derelict houses to rusty old ships to suspension bridges to The Wanderer to how seagulls wash themselves to.. etc etc.

In the end, 45k on the turbo. Getting thru so many movies on netflix. Better bike washed and prep'd in anticipation for more nice days like today. We are well overdue some good weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of which, you might want to get out tomorrow if you can as (for dublin anyway) tuesday and wednesday morning look like a dead loss. met eireann are predicting 36 hours of rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've to cycle into work HQ on Tuesday or Wednesday morning to pick up a new work phone. Fully expect my scheduled time to be exactly at the worst time possible rain wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

As above I could have gone cycling, dida decent spin yesterday.
    Spent the morning outside with the kids instead.
    Made sure the missus got a break from them for the afternoon.

Got in a quick 20k spin at sunset. Loved it

As above I could have gone cycling, dida decent spin yesterday.
    Spent the morning outside with the kids instead.
    Made sure the missus got a break from them for the afternoon.

Got in a quick 20k spin at sunset. Loved it

Yeah that daylight to cycle till nearly after 6 now is nice. Headed out around 5pm myself a very boing out and back to Popes Cross at Tullyesker which is the bounds of my northern 5km limit, it's a joy on the way back though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

35km. 460m up at 20kph. Loved it. Hoping spring has finally sprung and we get a lot more days like we did today. Happy cycling all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

105km Sat, 95km Sunday all within the 5km. Mentally a challenge, local roads have everything though. Stuck to main roads for the 105, 800m of climbing with a 33kph average. Back roads for the 95, 1200m of climbing at a 28kph ave, a real slog fest.

I'm lucky with a diverse range of roads that loop around, generally have had to only do an odd U Turn to stay compliant.

The wind is a torture though, I would generally, point the bike in the direction of the wind and cycle into it for 2.5hrs, turn and sail home, with local loops very hard to get relief from it.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    105km Sat, 95km Sunday all within the 5km. Mentally a challenge, local roads have everything though. Stuck to main roads for the 105, 800m of climbing with a 33kph average. Back roads for the 95, 1200m of climbing at a 28kph ave, a real slog fest.

I'm lucky with a diverse range of roads that loop around, generally have had to only do an odd U Turn to stay compliant.

The wind is a torture though, I would generally, point the bike in the direction of the wind and cycle into it for 2.5hrs, turn and sail home, with local loops very hard to get relief from it.

That's some going, fair play. Due to the state of the roads I'm looping it'll be the summer before I see an average in the 30s again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

speaking of which, you might want to get out tomorrow if you can as (for dublin anyway) tuesday and wednesday morning look like a dead loss. met eireann are predicting 36 hours of rain.

But the weekend looks extremely postive at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sun is belter in south Dublin now, work up and logged on for the early shift in work, had a lay on because there's be no time to get out anyway.
    Say good morning in the teams chats and got reminded that I don't start for another half hour...

Between that half hour and the half hour spent scrolling in bed I could have made use of the nice morning. Uuuugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

A very short commute to office this morning 7km :) hardly worth it you say but I'll make it worthwhile on my commute home from work. Used bike today as Tue/wed look washouts.

i had it in my head you'd retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

i had it in my head you'd retired?
    Probably the Wexford spins gave you that impression, but haven't been down there since Christmas :(. We moved down for first lockdown as roads were completely empty for commute to work.
    I wish, 2 years 6 months 3 days to 66, but who's counting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Did 110km yesterday. 650m elevation and average speed of 24.0km/h. First time I have gone over 60km for a spin.

Really enjoyed it and the weather yesterday made it all the better. Above the knee is a little sore today after it though.

Think I have fatigue from cycling the same road over and over again.

Up early, checked emails. Nothing important. a kind of loop before turning back in on going back another way, then cappagh hill and home. 40 km in 90 mins at just under 25kmph and home to some emails.

Saw Mercian Pro twice

lovely afternoon out there. i not only broke out the good bike for the first time in months, i also broke out my pasty white legs.

Yeah I was wishing I'd gone out on the good bike. The croix de fer is lots of fun as it can go all over the place, and in the park it's great if I want to mix it up a bit, but today would've been a day for the good one. Time limited though and i didn't want to fetch it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Weepsie wrote: »
    Up early, checked emails. Nothing important. a kind of loop before turning back in on going back another way, then cappagh hill and home. 40 km in 90 mins at just under 25kmph and home to some emails.

Saw Mercian Pro twice

Or.. you check emails on phone at 40k and decide can you enjoy another hour of sunshine.

I'm sat looking out at sun all day and longing to have gotten out. Call at 4PM and wonder could I just bunk off and get out on the bike for an hour instead. When we start to get nice days like these in Feb / March you get worried each time that we may not see another day like it again and need to take advantage of it.

Just as I type this email I hear a lawnmower going.. Spring is here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My birthday over the weekend brought a case of mixed craft stouts from a friend on Friday, a few bottles of cocktails from my nephew (many had over a picnic lunch) on Saturday and a surprise tray of takeaway guinness from another friend who's hubby owns a local boozer yesterday. Couple of loops up to the viewing point over lunch today as penance, I reckon there was a rank steaming fog surrounding me the whole time and I'd say I looked a worrying sight to the many nimbler younger cyclists passing me on Stocking lane. 25k with 644m of upin truly glorious weather. Hangover cured so job done, we won't talk about speed or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did 50 on the nose today. First half was grand then the wind became a pox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Saw Mercian Pro twice

What a great Monday morning. Started with a regular circuit and followed it with all the left turn loops before a few back and forth trips along the southern perimeter road. I was thinking of trying to stick at it till I got to 100km but spotted a friend and we both headed home through Tolka Valley. Was wearing a club top and Boards tights and got a Swordsie shout but no Boardsie one! it was so much more pleasant than my one circuit on Sunday that included tailbacks on the Upper Glen Road thanks to idiots parking all over the place.

Ended up with 80km at 25km/h

i went out on sunday, and in an hour of cycling i saw at least four Ti frames - including a moots, not sure if i've seen one before. two van nicholas, and a litespeed IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

lovely afternoon out there. i not only broke out the good bike for the first time in months, i also broke out my pasty white legs.

I used my good bike yesterday for first time in months. I'm going to keep using it now. Get the value out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement