Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Would the Phoenix Park be a viable place for dark evening cycles? it's within my 5km and never over that way on the bike in the dark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

De Bhál wrote: »
    Would the Phoenix Park be a viable place for dark evening cycles? it's within my 5km and never over that way on the bike in the dark.

Yup, so long as you have good lights and watch out for deer as well as joggers and drivers.

I used to live in Ashington so dark park cycles were a regular occurence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'd need a decent front light as there's **** all street lighting in the Park.

That said, I've cycled (and ran) around there a few times with a good front light and it can be quite a pleasant experience as you have the place mostly to yourself.

I used to run around there at night for years. You do come across some sketchy characters and a few people up to no good, but mostly it's fine. I'm sure on the roads you'd be grand.

Heard of someone getting mugged once in the people's park (near parkgate street entrance) during the day but pretty much any "character" I've met at night there has been harmless.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Heard of someone getting mugged once in the people's park (near parkgate street entrance) during the day but pretty much any "character" I've met at night there has been harmless.

It depends where you go in the park I suppose. I lived on Infirmary Road for a few years and saw all sorts of mad stuff going on, but nobody ever bothered me on any of my night time runs and always felt fairly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Its very much a freaks come out at night kind of place alright! Some of the traffic that comes in close to sunset is unusual. Main problem I had (when running) was the lights of the cars blind you to the surface below so I would thing a good light would be absolutely essential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to go in to the park on moonlit nights to take long exposure photos. i learned to avoid the changing room car parks over beside the 15 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

There's lovely thickets around the s - bends. Brought my kids into them during lockdown.

Brought them out pretty soon too! FFS there's apps for this stuff (I'm told).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i used to go in to the park on moonlit nights to take long exposure photos. i learned to avoid the changing room car parks over beside the 15 acres.

A bit of craic if you're into that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

CramCycle wrote: »
    A bit of craic if you're into that sort of thing.

Around the Magazine Fort had a similar reputation years ago but I've no idea how deserved that was!

Was up at the Wellington Monument in December to see the Shine Your Light projections and was amazed at how dark the rest of the Park was. Don’t think I'd fancy cycling there after dark without some decent high-powered lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I used my good bike yesterday for first time in months. I'm going to keep using it now. Get the value out of it.

Thought about it myself but my winter hacker is less than 300km off 20k so I'll hold off.

A lovely 40km yesterday on the (almost) dry roads of south Dublin and north Wicklow

Snuck out at lunch time for 36k @27kph with 600 up. Lots of the roads in Cork have streams gushing down either side and the land is badly flooded. Lovely to get out after a miserable few days of weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

26k and 490m of up for me today, round and round the mulberry bush. Brings a whole new meaning to 'being in the zone'. Blowy enough but a session on the turbo last night sucked the will to live from me so decided outdoors was the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Nothing major, 30kms around but apparently I'm a prick with a terrible attitude because I told a taxi driver the contra flow cycle lane on Inchicore Road wasn't a rank. He'd actually driven over whats left of the wands along there.

Nothing major, 30kms around but apparently I'm a prick with a terrible attitude because I told a taxi driver the contra flow cycle lane on Inchicore Road wasn't a rank. He'd actually driven over whats left of the wands along there.

I was going against the traffic in that cycle lane a few years ago when a guy went out of his way to drive at me and tried to take me out. I bunny hopped up on to the path to get out of his way. I would assume he had no idea it was a contra flow and thought I was being cheeky cycling the wrong way down a one-way. Scary experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Regular lunch time spin for me in glorious weather. Two laps up Cruagh to the Viewing point and back down Stocking lane. Lots of cyclists out today, steady stream coming up Stocking lane both times around. 24k for me with 630m of up. Weathers looking good for the next few days so might try and get out for a slightly longer one for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My route today included part of of the R150 between Duleek and Julianstown.
    I had the wind on my back and the Sun over my right shoulder, the road surface was good and traffic was light. I was doing 36/38 kph with my HR at about 115 bpm. I was on my best bike, which is in tip/top nick. I was properly dressed. The view over the river Nanny towards Bellewstown was great.
    I just thought to myself: things could be worse.

45kms around today, my Garmin HRM is now needing its 4th battery in as many weeks, absolute piece of crap, premium my arse.

Saw some 'patriots' hanging flags from a flyover along the canal, nice to see them support the Ivory Coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

45kms around today, my Garmin HRM is now needing its 4th battery in as many weeks, absolute piece of crap, premium my arse.

Saw some 'patriots' hanging flags from a flyover along the canal, nice to see them support the Ivory Coast

That's not normal. Get on to them if in warranty or replace the full unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wanted to get out after work but was snowed under so day light has faded.
    Got an old but never used HRM from my mother in law, was dying to try it out... Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Handy 30k spin while listening to a meeting in one ear.

First day in shorts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Handy 30k spin while listening to a meeting in one ear.
    Lovely to need the shades for the setting sun

First day in shorts!!

That's not normal. Get on to them if in warranty or replace the full unit.

I'm a bit grumpy thos week, I forsee myself shoving it up somebody's ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I'm a bit grumpy thos week, I forsee myself shoving it up somebody's ass

Unusual way to fix a battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Unusual way to fix a battery

Worser than that its a strap.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

An enjoyable 63km yesterday, the perfect "pick me up" after a night shift. Will hopefully get out tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

FTP test on zwift - 35w increase since end November despite being ill and off the bike for a while.

The FTP builder obviously works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

36km in lovely sunshine on the new bike. I've had a couple of spins on it but it's been windy and my legs weren't great either so today felt like the first time I really got my worth out of it. I'm a long way off where I want to be fitness wise after a fairly long spell just doing handy turbo sessions. I went out last Sunday and pulled up after only 40 km because I just felt crap.

I did a hilly loop today that I like to do as one of my tougher mini sessions when I'm going well. It was bloody hard at times but I enjoyed it all the same and I'm really getting a feel for the bike. Hopefully we get a few more nice mild days and I can start trying to find some legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement