Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

20km today on the mtb in the ballyhouras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

50kms this morning Greystones to Dun Laoghaire and back. Had planned to go up to Turlough Hill but considering how windy it was at sea level I didn't fancy it! Beautiful day for a spin even though it was the first in full winter gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to knock out 103km on Saturday, 65km of it with a Group spin, which I haven't done since February as I like to cycle solo.

Back to commuting too. Just short of 300km since last Monday.

I wub winter cycling.

I'll so be fat feeding and cycling. Possibly while watching Crazyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Went out to howth and back from dublin city centre today. Passed a lad going up to the summit with a speaker on his road bike (i think i m the saddle bag) blaring out paul brady. Boardsie??

Strava fecked up as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/767646040

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i went up howth from the village side the other day and there was a chap in jeans giving it the full tuck on an old hybrid going down as i was going up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A few days away with extended family in Doolin, so rented a bike for some spins around the Burren. Heavy bike with very wide tyres, though comfy enough apart from not having drop bars which I really missed in the strong winds and steeper descents. Stunning weather apart from being very blustery, and had a lovely loop on Saturday that included Slieve Elva and Khyber pass. Couple of shots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Afternoon, I am looking at taking on this spin in the next weekend or 2,

Maynooth>Celbridge>Saggart>Blessington and back to Maynooth via Straffan, my only concern is the N81 from Saggart to Blessington, I have heard and read from other boardsies and locals that the traffic can be very heavy on this road, some of which have stated that they would rather cycle anywhere other than the N81.

Anyone that cycles this route have an opinion, id be happy to hear it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Went pottering about Donabate and Portrane earlier on and nearly sank up towards the north of Portrane beach. Absolute beaut of a day for it. 48km with a mix of road, beach, dune and cx.

https://www.strava.com/activities/768823927

Then I decided to hop off the train at Clongriffen and cycle back for a bonus 13km. There is some potential for a decent crit event in Fr Collins Park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/768823920

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

51k for me today, out to Trim and home by Bective. Straight up and down, didn't feel that good today, no energy for a gallop for the last 5k or so. Yesterday I got my smug on, coming into Batterstown (and a stiff breeze) I passed a guy and said hello. I noticed a few seconds later his shadow on the road behind me. Sneaky lift or should we work together into the wind? About 1k later he was still there and I thought he would take a turn on the front, suddenly he disappeared on a little rise in the road. Yay, I dropped someone! #smugasabugger

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

Bloggsie wrote: »

Maynooth>Celbridge>Saggart>Blessington and back to Maynooth via Straffan, my only concern is the N81 from Saggart to Blessington, I have heard and read from other boardsies and locals that the traffic can be very heavy on this road, some of which have stated that they would rather cycle anywhere other than the N81.

thanks

do you really want to go to B'ton?
    you could go over to Kilteel, up the Lamb down the other side, left on the N81 heading east for about 2km the up mcDonaghs lane(immed left at the Blue Gardinia) and down Cromwellstown/sheepmoor and over to castlewarden Ardclough etc, or go past mcdonaghs lane and down Slade hill into Saggart etc or cross over at Brittas over Ballyforan rd and back via Kilbride /Lisheen rd, just have to cross the N81 a few times and cycle a small bit of it.....
    its a (very)hilly route if you like that sort of thing:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

In Tenerife for a week or so, rented a nice BMC and have been pottering around for a few days (pottering around here usually means 1000m of climbing), met a Corkman on the road the other day who hadn't been here before, he wasn't too sure of where he was going, I was planning to head up Teide via Granadilla (we're staying in Los Cristianos) yesterday so asked my new pal if he'd like to come along, heading up to La Camella he told me he'd never been above 300m on a bike so I thought it best to take the direct route, which we did, and we got up and back without much drama, everyone happy.

This morning I decided I might as well have a look at the Granadilla-Vilaflor road, I'd read somewhere that it's the nicest road on the island and a must do, so headed across, it's gorgeous all right well worth the spin across the only problem was I got brave in Vilaflor having a coffee and headed up to Teide again. A bit tired now, but a few beers in the sunshine are working wonders......

https://www.strava.com/activities/769638877

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fook that was cold (and wet)

57k done and in the bank

NCD is a beautiful place but today it was just grey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RobFowl wrote: »
    Fook that was cold (and wet)

57k done and in the bank

NCD is a beautiful place but today it was just grey...

+ One :mad:

My Garmin died so I've no idea what my Km was, but every bit of it was misery.. Two hours in the saddle and not one minute was pleasurable.

Goddamned wet & cold miserable wintery day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Goddamned wet & cold miserable wintery day.

To the cold yet dry shed for then later... Days like this make the purchase of a decent turbo all the worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dahat wrote: »
    To the cold yet dry shed for then later... Days like this make the purchase of a decent turbo all the worthwhile.

I keep my bikes in my house extension, along with drying cycling & Judo gear I hardly have room for a turbo trainer.

And tbh I suffer cabin fever really badly, I simply can't stay indoors so I think a turbo trainer would be prison for me although I have considered purchasing one more than once over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wet one this evening on the commute home. Nothing mental as the heaviest of the rain had passed just before I left. I don't really mind the rain but as I wear glasses, it really compromises my visibility and slows me down. I must get one of those peaked caps.

Maybe it was just the timing of my commute but the traffic was grand coming from Swords until I got to Clanbrassil St. From there it was a solid line all the way the KCR. Slow going with so many cars encroaching on the cycle lane - especially on the Lower Kimmage Road where they've been upgrading the footpath for the last couple of months. Plenty of traffic cones with the customary "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" :rolleyes: signs. I stop at all red lights but no way am I dismounting. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

crosstownk wrote: »
    Plenty of traffic cones with the customary "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" :rolleyes: signs. I stop at all red lights but no way am I dismounting. No way.

I think you're supposed to dismount, salute, remount and pedal on...*

*Taking the lane as you do so obviously...

devonp wrote: »
    do you really want to go to B'ton?
    you could go over to Kilteel, up the Lamb down the other side, left on the N81 heading east for about 2km the up mcDonaghs lane(immed left at the Blue Gardinia) and down Cromwellstown/sheepmoor and over to castlewarden Ardclough etc, or go past mcdonaghs lane and down Slade hill into Saggart etc or cross over at Brittas over Ballyforan rd and back via Kilbride /Lisheen rd, just have to cross the N81 a few times and cycle a small bit of it.....
    its a (very)hilly route if you like that sort of thing:D
    i think a caffeine stop in b'ton is my reason for heading there.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Wet one this evening on the commute home. Nothing mental as the heaviest of the rain had passed just before I left. I don't really mind the rain but as I wear glasses, it really compromises my visibility and slows me down. I must get one of those peaked caps.

Maybe it was just the timing of my commute but the traffic was grand coming from Swords until I got to Clanbrassil St. From there it was a solid line all the way the KCR. Slow going with so many cars encroaching on the cycle lane - especially on the Lower Kimmage Road where they've been upgrading the footpath for the last couple of months. Plenty of traffic cones with the customary "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" :rolleyes: signs. I stop at all red lights but no way am I dismounting. No way.
    "I will NOT put my foot down!" (Childish foot stomp)

thanks

I cycle out to Blessington regularly. The N81 can be busy especially on weekdays with quarry traffic. I don't mind the climb up the Embankment but after that I get off the N81

When you get to Saggart, take the right at the main crossroads. It'll bring you out on to the N81 just after Crooksling. You'll need to cycle on the N81 for about 1.5km - no easy way to avoid this. Then take the slight left after the Brittas/Blue Gardenia junction (Lisheen Road). Follow that to the T junction then turn right. After 200m at the next T junction turn left. Eventually you'll arrive at Blessington Lake. Turn right and go over the bridge then left and you'll be in Blessington.

There's a decent coffee shop (The Rooster) in the shopping complex in the centre of the town. Bike rack outside for added convenience.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.2801625,-6.4453631/53.1713402,-6.533221/@53.2263571,-6.5593575,12z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-6.4618568!2d53.2201988!3s0x486775fe6ac4cb77:0x404c1d79cbb5d8d0!3m4!1m2!1d-6.5001622!2d53.170702!3s0x48679dad335059e7:0x7583be256144a21f!1m0!3e1

In case the link doesn't work.......

Saggart%20-%20Blessington.png

If you're coming back the same way then go straight on instead of crossing back over the bridge. It'll bring you back to Manor Kilbride via Threecastles and saves you taking exactly the same route back.

• Advertisement

this looks good, the road surface on the N81 looked really good, but the volume of traffic on it was my concern, I am going out on Sunday morning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

thanks

Did the a similar route weekend before last and went roughly Celbridge, Newcastle, Athgoe, Steelstown, Eadestown all on back roads, not going on the N81 at all. If you have any kind of GPS with mapping available, IMHO the l-roads are they way to go. The canal has a reasonable surface after Hazelhatch so another nice option to consider would be Celbridge, Hazelhatch bridge, canal to Ardclough, backroads to Arthurstown, and either Eadestown, Blessington or on towards Punchestown and back to Blessington via Glending.

this looks good, the road surface on the N81 looked really good, but the volume of traffic on it was my concern, I am going out on Sunday morning

Yeah the N81 surface is good but the other roads are perfectly fine. Also, the N81 is a busy enough road so it's much better to go via the smaller roads for some peace and quiet. It makes for a much nicer spin. You might encounter a bit of traffic on the smaller roads near Manor Kilbride on Sunday if you're there close to mass times but that's about it. Most motorist out that direction are well used to cyclists as it's a popular route.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

44k in NCD earlier - went north through ardcath, ended up on the R152 (hillier than expected) and back onto the N2 north of ashbourne. won't make that mistake again, it's not a pleasant road to cycle.
    was a bit of a grubby morning out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

110km Club Spin, Kilsheelan to Mitchelstown then back via Cahir. Just under 30km avg on a day when the roads were slippy due to leaves etc.

Legs were a bit tight and cramps near the end but that's to be expected after a hard Trainerroad workout on Saturday then hours painting....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Planning next weekends solo spin around Wicklow mountains. Anyone see anything wrong with this loop or suggest any alternations? Not too familiar with all the roads around there, only cycled that way once really on the Lap De Gaps. Want to get to know the area in the hope that it will be my training grounds in the future

Key places I need to hit are start and finish around the Terenure X, then up to Hunterswood

Want to keep it between roughly 50-60km =

https://connect.garmin.com/course/embed/13962713

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Planning next weekends solo spin around Wicklow mountains. Anyone see anything wrong with this loop or suggest any alternations? Not too familiar with all the roads around there, only cycled that way once really on the Lap De Gaps. Want to get to know the area in the hope that it will be my training grounds in the future

Key places I need to hit are start and finish around the Terenure X, then up to Hunterswood

Want to keep it between roughly 50-60km =

https://connect.garmin.com/course/embed/13962713
    Just a couple of points:

1. You have a diversion off Stocking Lane (around 5k) - most people would just keep going with that climb (perhaps it is deliberate).

2. On the descent from Luggala (around 30k) you have a diversion which is off road as far as I know. Better just to stay on that descent of the R759 until you get to the junction with the Old Long Hill road.

Otherwise it's fine and a popular route. There are two steep straight and fast descents on it - Luggala and Old Long Hill. Take care on them - Luggala has a car park with pedestrian activity at the bottom of the fastest bit. Old Long Hill has a farmyard with associated activity near the bottom of the descent. Squeaky bum time when a tractor emerges as you're doing 80km/h. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks, I'll have a look at those two diversions, the first may remain but I don't plan on having a CX bike with me so no offroad :P

The first diversion is on purpose but I had it still slightly wrong, want to take on this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/641300

Will make sure to check the brakes before I head out and hopefully we get some good weather, I think I have heard people say about loose gravel around the Luggala carpark area too?

On the off chance that you're driving to Terenure, send me a PM if you need somewhere to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Having had a lazy day and no spin yesterday , this morning, headed to killenagh, on to Kilmuckridge, Blackwater, curracloe, and up to main road just outside wexford town. Decided you come back the same route as coast road is more interesting than the main road. 64 km Avg was just 24.5 kmph. Managed 760 meters of climbing according to an app I used on the spin and a max speed of 58 kmph. Nice morning to be out.

Went back to curracloe in the afternoon and did a 6 km walk with herself along the forest trail at ravens point and back along the beach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement