Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Glorious out there again today. Same spin for me as yesterday with a couple of laps up to the Viewing point, trying to get some hills into the legs and hit my 7.5k Strava climbing target for Feb. Cruagh and Stocking lane were thick with bikes once again and I'd say it will be a busy old weekend with some great weather predicted. Like most, I could be doing with a change of scenery but it looks like another full month of playing loop the loop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

45kms around today, my Garmin HRM is now needing its 4th battery in as many weeks, absolute piece of crap, premium my arse.

Saw some 'patriots' hanging flags from a flyover along the canal, nice to see them support the Ivory Coast

Do you take the transmitter off the strap when not being used? It'll still use the battery otherwise afaik.

I unclip one side and I've much improved battery life

Anyway, woke up, went for a walk, had breakfast and coffee and took work phone with me and went for the park. 2ish loops and then I went for cappagh hill and turned back for home as I had no legs. Bagged a KoM near the home for that Physical Therapy guy who has most of them.

Also first time on my favoured Guerciotti in a while. Faster, and home earlier for the 44 kms I did. My injured wrist prefer the big tyred comfort of the Croix de Fer though. Have to manage it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

What a great day to cycle - absolutely perfect weather! Had a 2-hour window between parental commitments this morning so grabbed it to fit in 50k (within my 5k limit). So bloody good to get off the turbo and out into the fresh air for a change - also a perfect day for the 'good bike' (which stays inside if it's anyway wet:o)!

My advice? Get out there if you haven't already. Be warned though, it's unbelievably busy out there with all the usual hot spots choc-a-block with cars, cyclists, walkers, joggers, etc.

Early to the park for some loops before going towards the industrial estates on the other side of my 5k for 58 km in a wee bit over 2 hours. Got out of the park before it was too busy I think. Was definitely picking up, and there were far too many sleepwalking folk about the place not paying any attention whatsoever.

Chilly enough I thought too, but had the layering right for once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nabbed an hour between gardening plans and other plans. i think that's the calmest day on the bike i've had in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

80k in my locality.
    Not many roads unused.
    Got going at 7:30 and took in all the main roads first.
    Quiet roads for the second half
    My tactic worked perfectly.

Loved almost every minute. Even had to shed the gilet at 10:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cycling Ireland Zwift race then a quick bike change for 2 hours on the road on a pretty decent day.

First outing for my Galibier Senteniel jersey, very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wow, I loved the bike today. Honestly I can't believe the difference in my spin from last week.

No coughing up a lung, some actual endurance and my legs managed to push me up some decent climbs, in and out of the saddle.

Did 28.5km and 300m in 1:20.
    I snapped a cable at some point and lost my big ring so I dropped my bike into cycle superstore on the way home and had my lady collect me. Getting everything stripped and cleaned so the bike should feel great when I get it back.

Tallaght's not a bad spot at all for lockdown spins, great climbs and a great bike shop all within 5km!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Guts of 2 hours on the turbo. Longest session so far. Was tough going at the end. If it’s this nice tomorrow I might have to explore the 5k roads again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Back out for another couple of loops up to the viewing point to complete my Feb climbing challenge. Lovely out but people and cars all over the road. For anyone descending Stocking lane or Cruagh at speed, assuming a high possibility of meeting walkers on blind corners or cars overtaking walkers or cyclists on blind corners. I'd guess it will be even more mobbed tomorrow, so I'd advise taking a very conservative line and speed.

Great to see loads of bikes out. Saw a bunch of young lads heading up Edmonstown road, one managing to hold a wheelie uphill from the school to the Merry Ploughboy. Great skills though somewhat less common sense given he did much of it on the wrong side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A Garda on a bicycle is doing a checkpoint outside my house. He has his bike parked in the middle of the street and is stopping everyone. He's taking no nonsense either and is regularly turning motorists around. He been there for a few hours now and I think he's getting annoyed with me as I've had to pass him several times so far on my loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just over 32 km at just under 25kph it was a beautiful day for it, first day of shorts since September, topped off with my Galibier mistral foul weather, perfect amount of layers for me.
    I've been suffering from gout for the last 10 days or so, so this was my welcome release.

It was great to come home and be able to go straight to the shower rather than having to wash the bike.

Days like this make up for all the wet weather cycling all through the winter

https://strava.app.link/21eVf5DTdeb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

While currently getting use to Firefox again, after many years of absense...

I'm really pleased with my new Drift camera: Ghost XL. Great battery life and good picture. Makes my cycling PTSD more manageable :o

Lovely day for cycling. Basically, no wind!

Managed to do 30 km and found the new Kiltipper Park, all withing my 5km, I think :)

There is an exit from the park near the Tallaght Reservoirs too, on the way up to the Ballinascorny climb.

Drift Camera Video and Park Exit below.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Perfect day for cycling. No wind. Dry fresh morning. What more could you ask for. Pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    Perfect day for cycling. No wind. Dry fresh morning. What more could you ask for....

What more could i ask for....?

......mmmm......

1. Sunny and warm.
    2. Coffee shops open.
    3. No distance restrictions.
    4. A hair cut.
    5. A club ride.

...but, yes, it was pleasant today. :)

I cycle solo anyway, and I find I make better coffee at home than most coffee shops that I'd ever encounter on my "normal time" cycling routes. I'm spoiled for choice for great coffee in my 5km too.

Brought my zojirushi flask with me today in a back pocket, with some freshly brewed , black kenyan filter coffee. Delicious.

I do glance towards kippure on a day like today though and sigh,ike my oh wishes she could take her long walk along the north county coast instead of our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭mvt

You did well to be able to see Kippure in that haze :)

Absolutely beautiful in the Phoenix park earlier- loads of bikes of all sorts

In fairness most of the cars were quite considerate of other road users- maybe folk did pay heed to the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

What a week we just had, I know it's early but it really does feel like the winter is over
    2 days on the wahoo and 5 days on the road 331Km 2294Mtrs @ 27.5Kmh
    Really looking forward to next week and hope all the riding is outside

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One of those days where you felt blessed to be able to cycle & fully absorb a stunning day.

More of this please!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's a cracker, wishing I held onto my bike for an extra day now.
    Ah well, it's my anniversary with herself today so a long spin probably wouldn't have went down well. :D

70k @ 26kph with 1000 up. Beautiful morning but started out very foggy first thing. Once the fog burned off, it was glorious.

Rarely have any issues with any other road users when out, but got shouted at by a pedestrian today who told me to slow down and go home - he was on a footpath and I was doing about 20kph up a hill.

I then had a driver come flying at me with the horn blaring when I was comfortably on my side of a very quiet road and finally a fella in a van (it's nearly always a van in my experience) came up behind me when I was going into the wind and did a close pass with the horn blaring for about 20 seconds despite it being a wide enough and straight section with nobody else in sight. Gave me some fright as I didn't hear him coming.

I'm guessing lockdown is getting to some people as I have never experienced anything like this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Very glad I decided to take the bike off the trainer. What a day. So many cyclists out.
    Cycled along the Dun Laoghaire mobility route. Was jammed. Great to see. Guards had a checkpoint at Seapoint. Despite not stopping cyclists they decided it would be a great idea to park their car in the cycle lanes. Even more annoying when there was a side road across from them.

Glorious day out there. Loads of people out. First slow spin up to Glencullen this year. Can feel the extra kg on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Glorious day out there. 50 done, passed at least 7million other cyclists, great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Great weather to be out. 75km yesterday, 43km today, both in glorious sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

rushfan wrote: »
    Great weather to be out. 75km yesterday, 43km today, both in glorious sunshine.

It has been lovely out. I have decided to get up a lot earlier these days, like I used too in the past. Spend an hour procrastinating, and then get on the bike. :pac:
    Lovely 30km odd this morning, in lovely sunshine. I even attempted a "climb" up Stocking Ave etc; I do miss climbing. I will get there eventually, phisically!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4864061842

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I then had a driver come flying at me with the horn blaring when I was comfortably on my side of a very quiet road and finally a fella in a van (it's nearly always a van in my experience) came up behind me when I was going into the wind and did a close pass with the horn blaring for about 20 seconds despite it being a wide enough and straight section with nobody else in sight. Gave me some fright as I didn't hear him coming.

Had one of these today too 8 in the morning on a wide straight empty road. I assume he saw a cyclist cycling along the white line instead of over to the left and decided to let me know where to be on "his" road. The reason I was there was because I was going to pull into a driveway 100m up ahead on the right. Also the road is so wide it turns into 2 lanes just past my turn so he could have easily undertaken me if he wasn't blind with rage at the "bloody cyclist"

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for a 45km cycle before work, another beautiful day for it, a bit cooler than Saturday, so back to bib tights.
    Just looped around inside my 5k , nearly got knocked off by one of my colleagues who hadn't allowed enough space to overtake me, i panel beat the side of the bus with my hand, jammed on to avoid him, caught up with him and opened the doors from outside as he was ignoring me, screamed at him like a fishwife, and his gormless face drove me even madder.
    I told him that if he just took ownership and learnt from it, I'd be happy enough to go away quietly, but he had more of a problem with the fact I opened the door, more screaming ensued.
    I was going his route anyway, but he was right behind me at a Garda checkpoint about 5 mins later, Garda tried wave me through, I stopped and told him about the driver behind " what do you want me to do" was the attitude.
    "If you want to report it - go to the station, I'm only here to do this Covid checkpoint"

Started to lose it with him, so decided to leave.

Won't put me off mind you.

(BTW I work for Dublin Bus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

At least you can find him and batter the head off him? One of the lads in the gym is a bus driver and I take great pleasure in kicking him... unfortunately his jiu jitsu is better than mine so he gets to choke me back.

Got out for 50 yesterday in shorts and short sleeves, all was well, I did not get away with that today, gave up after 35, freezing no matter how fast I spun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement