Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bit of light off road today and yesterday, loving the brighter, calmer weather. 25k at lunch today taking in Tibradden, Cruagh woods, Viewing point and some local roads. Warming to see kids being picked up from schools again, a reminder that this won't be a 5k thread forever. Looking forward to cursing the full on school pick-up congestion once again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

During my spin, this morning, I passed Donacarney Primary school, at about 11.00am. The children were outside playing, shouting and laughing and generally having a bit of fun. I must say, it did my heart good and gave me a bit of a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Eamonnator wrote: »
    During my spin, this morning, I passed Donacarney Primary school, at about 11.00am. The children were outside playing, shouting and laughing and generally having a bit of fun. I must say, it did my heart good and gave me a bit of a lift.

Lots of em using the cycle lane round Monaleen in Limerick on my spin today.

My first sunny ride of the year and my first proper one on my new bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So there I was, trying to cycle in peace at home, and I start hearing bells at 12.30 and the shrill sound of children laughing and playing in large groups. Gaaarrrghhhg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only joking. I'm not that much of a grump. Heard them ourselves on our morning walk, and kind of forgot what it sounded like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Back on the bike after taking a wee break. Stuck to my 5k radius. Great to be back out. Really pisses me off when I see strava warriors posting their 100 k spins on old training routes (obvs outside 5k radius)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Back on the bike after taking a wee break. Stuck to my 5k radius. Great to be back out. Really pisses me off when I see strava warriors posting their 100 k spins on old training routes (obvs outside 5k radius)

I see it all the time myself. Used to really annoy me too but I came to the conclusion I can only look after myself. Folk like that wouldn't stop even if you did ask them - so I don't worry about it anymore.

Gas thing is, if they're going to do it wouldn't you think they'd have the wit to go private in their settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Really pisses me off when I see strava warriors posting their 100 k spins on old training routes (obvs outside 5k radius)

Pissed me off till about last May when I found the "Unfollow" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I've a cousin a FG councillor.
    He only has about 29 followers inc me but not sure if his is private.
    He's sticking up hikes in the wicklow mountains, the in down, the fermanagh.
    Surprised he's not made a local paper or something

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah great now this thread has become a curtain twitchers moaning forum too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ah great now this thread has become a curtain twitchers moaning forum too

Yes, which after Dr Ronan Glynn's inspired explanation for the 5k rule this week is all the more remarkable (luckily for us "we", IE, nphet, thought 2k was a bit harsh - I had thought we lived in a democracy but perhaps not)

Realistically, who in the country does not know how corona virus spreads at this point? Does a blanket rule like this not totally patronize the majority of the population?

I really wish more people would do some thinking for themselves.

Anyway, hopefully, the title of this thread will change soon enough. But only if we're all good, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

wheelo01 wrote: »
    (BTW I work for Dublin Bus)

As I'm sure you know it's easy enough to get the footage if you wanted to do something about it?

Chilly out there today. 27k over lunch out to Firhouse with the plan of heading up to Carthy's castle and the Hellfire, but a bunch of new signs marking it as private land, no trespassers, beware of bull etc... made it clear that that route is no longer an option. Seeing that on a few gravel routes I would have used over the last couple of years as the place has been mobbed with walkers, upper route on Kilmashogue is also gone. Managed to get the wrong turn off up to Gunny hill twice (how?) so ended up come back via Stocking lane and Mt Venus.

Rode with my eldest to school this morning for the first time in ages. Had a half hour or so to spare before I needed to log into work so went for a bit of a plod around town. Forgot my gloves so hands were feeling the cold.

I was on roads in Drogheda I hadn't been on for a while and my god they are in absolute **** in places. Heads up to anyone driving around Duleek street in the direction of Mary's St just passed the petrol station there is a creator in the middle of the road right in the driver side diving line. I can see that claiming a few hubcaps. The Dublin road near the church has degraded a bit and anyone who has cycled there knows the rut that runs along there heading to the bullring, it's got a nasty opening opening just outside the parish office there now.

I'll log them on fix my street if they haven't been reported already.

Nice cycling weather again today. Decided to avoid the hills as Hellfire and Cruagh have been mobbed over the last couple of weekends. Ended up with a flattish 52k @25kph with 350m of up looping around Ballyboden and Firhouse. Few beers had last night so also served well to clear the head. Was planning on a longer one but struggling to find the patience to do it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

smacl wrote: »
    Nice cycling weather again today. Decided to avoid the hills as Hellfire and Cruagh have been mobbed over the last couple of weekends. Ended up with a flattish 52k @25kph with 350m of up looping around Ballyboden and Firhouse. Few beers had last night so also served well to clear the head. Was planning on a longer one but struggling to find the patience to do it locally.

Hellfire/Massy's was strangely empty today, not one car parked on the road at 2pm.

retalivity wrote: »
    Hellfire/Massy's was strangely empty today, not one car parked on the road at 2pm.

Typical, the first day in a while not up there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

45km at 26kph, absolutely glorious day for it. Lots of people out excercising on bikes, on foot, and running.
    The Pheonix Park was surprisingly empty of cars, though there were loads of people around.
    Long may this weather last.

https://strava.app.link/76PPrMVwpeb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dragged my OH out today, we had an online pub quiz last night and both of us worse for wear.

So if you saw two cyclists and one shouting obscenities in Polish then that was us

46kms all in but very hungover. Great day for it mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Very pleasant and quiet (but cold) 52km with 580 up @25.8kmh around north Wicklow yesterday. In doing so my winter hacker went over the 20000km mark. A cracker of a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dramatic change in temperature on the way around, had to stop and strip off half of what I had on. My fastest time up Red Lane though and considering the wheel was slipping from under me on the start and I wasn't trying, I am happy with that. Found a ewe after lambing and the poor lamb was gone. Mother appears fine and I realise nature will takes its course but no one in the local house to say, just in case the mother needs a look over but she seemed fine and was walking without issue. Managed to stop for a coffee and carry a spare home as a present which has put everyone in good form.

75k at 26kph with 1000 climbing. Started frosty and seriously cold but finished in warm sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycled with the other half from Deansgrange to Killiney beach through Clonkeen Park/Kilbogget Park. Loads of people of all ages on bikes. Locked the bikes at the beach and walked up to see Bono ( his roof anyway ) and the view over Killiney Bay. Back home for dinner.
    12k @ very slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dramatic change in temperature on the way around, had to stop and strip off half of what I had on. My fastest time up Red Lane though and considering the wheel was slipping from under me on the start and I wasn't trying, I am happy with that. Found a ewe after lambing and the poor lamb was gone. Mother appears fine and I realise nature will takes its course but no one in the local house to say, just in case the mother needs a look over but she seemed fine and was walking without issue. Managed to stop for a coffee and carry a spare home as a present which has put everyone in good form.

Is that from the N11 to the Sugarloaf near the Glenview hotel or am I way out??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my mid afternoon spin became an early evening one as we got chatting to a friend in their driveway for about two hours earlier. little bit cooler out there than i'd expected, but no harm.

I walked for 10k with my OH this morning, had a few odd jobs to do here and then headed out around 4pm, 48 or so kms. Enjoyable in the main but more than usual close passes especially when I was riding into the setting sun which I took to mean the drivers hadn't seen me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

but more than usual close passes especially when I was riding into the setting sun which I took to mean the drivers hadn't seen me at all

That's why you need a good bright rear light!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

80km on Zwift for me today!(and a 10km run afterwards)

That's why you need a good bright rear light!

Decent light on the back blazing away, it's a permanent fixture on the bike, I don't bother with the front in daylight but the rear is always on and it's annoyingly bright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i definitely can tell a dropoff in fitness, compared to last summer. there's a 7km loop i did today as part of my cycle, and i managed to crank out 33.4km/h on it, but it was tough going. and it was flat, and pretty calm too. i could have gone faster - i didn't completely flatten myself doing it, but i reckon bringing the average speed up by maybe half a km/h would have been tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement