Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out the door @ 7.30am and felt every degree of the cold weather for the first hour especially in the hands.

After 2 hours I realised that my saddle bag was not with me so spent the next 2 hours dreading a puncture especially with hedges freshly cut on the local backroads.

All in nearly 4hrs on the road and finished with a spin up the Nire which is a smashing climb & very much underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

FinnC wrote: »
    80km on Zwift for me today!(and a 10km run afterwards)

did you shower afterwards?
    If so, does this mean you are a triathlete?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Eamonnator wrote: »
    did you shower afterwards?
    If so, does this mean you are a triathlete?

I am a triathlete..

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is that from the N11 to the Sugarloaf near the Glenview hotel or am I way out??

That's the one. And recently resurfaced too. Lovely finish

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dramatic change in temperature on the way around, had to stop and strip off half of what I had on.

Same here. Very sudden ti was too.

I noticed a lot of bling about today, like folk have taken to their summer steeds. Some machines were real eye candy this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Is that from the N11 to the Sugarloaf near the Glenview hotel or am I way out??
    yep
    That's the one. And recently resurfaced too. Lovely finish
    might explain why I'm suddenly faster, despite that not being realistic.
    Same here. Very sudden ti was too.

I noticed a lot of bling about today, like folk have taken to their summer steeds. Some machines were real eye candy this morning
    I had my race bike out, f*CK it, time to play with the nice toys.

CramCycle wrote: »
    yep

might explain why I'm suddenly faster, despite that not being realistic.

I had my race bike out, f*CK it, time to play with the nice toys.

I was sorry I'd stayed on the winter machine tbh. Roads are ok by and large (bar the slip road from Willow Grove to N11). Soon as I was in the door I got the bling ready for next outing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Think the weather is to go bike to winter bike weather this week!!

Got out for 40km mostly around the park. Still have an issue with the wrist so havn't been out much, but wanted that vitamin d and slogged enough on the turbo this week.

PLnety of cars parked in the park, but didn;t seem to many people around. They were all queuing for coffee or something by the looks of it.

Someone mentioned the other day about dunsink ovbservatory tweeting about a potential cycle route from there to the park.. I cycled up to Rathborne, just beyond Teagasc where I assume it would come out. it'd be a nice little loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

FinnC wrote: »
    I am a triathlete..

Would a true triathlete not have showered first :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First time out in a month following a foot injury which still isn't better but I just had to get out (my wife and kids would probably agree)!
    Took it handy enough but managed 35km @ 27km/h (although Strava steals 0.2km/h when I sync).
    Looking forward to getting out again.
    https://strava.app.link/qIj6PNsVseb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

32.5 km @ 25kph, lovely day, temperature wise, but there was quite a breeze out there.
    It was a weird breeze, if you were still you couldn't feel it, no leaves or trees blowing, but quite strong when cycling into it.
    Usual loop of Tallaght, Knocklyon, Terenure, Rathmines, the quays and a now obligatory loop in the Pheonix Park, then home.
    Lots of people out and about.

Glad I got out today as it has started raining out there, and I think more is forecast!!

https://strava.app.link/mI114uFWseb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

although Strava steals 0.2km/h when I sync

Same happens when I sync from Garmin. I think it's to do with the auto pause. It doesn't happen when I sync from my Wahoo.

Great to see you're back out, Seth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

strava apply their own algorithms to the data, and obviously use different parameters to kick in auto pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

strava apply their own algorithms to the data, and obviously use different parameters to kick in auto pause.

Yep. You can select the auto pause speed with Garmin but not with Wahoo - auto pause with Wahoo is fixed at 0 kmh so maybe that has a bearing on Strava's calculation.

/OT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

Had a bit of time this morning with no meetings so I took the chance to get a couple of hours in before the weather turned.

Cycling along happily when I heard a little metal tinkle and when I looked down there was the fastener from my cleat on the ground. Well that's never happened before. Picked up the bits and went on. About 15 minutes later the same thing happened again, and the second fixing from the cleat came off. Then spent the next 30 minutes trying to cycle home with a single cleat fixing in place just keeping my toe on the pedal. Realised when I came to a junction that I couldn't get my right foot out of the pedal as the shoe just kept twisting when I tried to unclip. Was an uncomfortable ride home.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Apparently it was 11c when I headed out earlier today, but definitely did'nt feel it. Managed just over 77km, slightly blowy out there. As always, it's great to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Over to Castleknock, up Knockmaroon without having a heart attack so some fitness must be returning. Did a little bit of messing in the park then had to get back to work.

Passing by here and wanting to get in to train :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

crosstownk wrote: »
    Great to see you're back out, Seth.
    Whatever I did on Monday, I'm back on the couch for another while. Heel sore yesterday and now I'm barely able to walk :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

26k @21kph and 350m of up over lunch around Ballyboden foothills. Cold and windy out there over lunch today, not helped by cycling through a heavy shower of hailstones at one point. Arrived back in like a drowned rat and feet still freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Messing around the park, going silly places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That's why you need a good bright rear light!

Totally agree. I think it helps a lot, regardless of the time of year.

Nice little spin out for me this morning, 21km, after the weather reports spoiling Tuesday & Wednesday. Trying to get the climbing legs back, so taking it easy on Stocking Avenue/lane.

Bit of a headwind on Stocking Lane, so only did one climb. Still, feel like I am getting my legs back, which is good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Loops in the park on the commute home from work, got caught in a very heavy hail shower. Then had heavy rain and a stiff 35 kph headwind on the way home.
    41km test of character spin :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another cold and blowy one today. First very minor spill for me in a long time, caught by a gust of wind cycling across the sodden mud up at the Hellfire for a slo-mo fall as the bike went from under me. Audience taking shelter by the ruin seemed to enjoy it at least and no damage done. Much as I like the Schwalbe G-One tyres, they're not much use in the mud. 17k with 450m of up and a bit of laundry to do this evening.

Snuck out after work for 30k at 24kph. Hilly, wet and very windy and nearly got turned over by a gust at one point. On the plus side, the wind buffetted me to a 4th on a busy strava segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Very handy spin. Planning a tough run in the morning.

24km in an hour.

Hard to keep the effort low into the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

absolutely fekin freezin today :eek: like deepest winter, the windchill was unbearable nearly cut the face off me, and another two days of it to come:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Glorious morning, loads out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Left the bike in the shed and went for a long run instead.

Running is stupid and inefficient.
    2 hours to cover just over 20k and now I need a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Came back from the yard this morning with blue skies and dry roads, got the good bike ready, ate the breakfast and got changed, just as I was ready to go a big black cloud blew in and it started to snow, TBH I was thinking of the turbo but it cleared after a while and I headed out in company with my young fella. Thankfully we avoided any more showers, couldn't avoid the wind though...

60ish km with a few hard sprints thrown in to test the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Another windy morning, but feck it, I went out for the fresh air. Just over 20km with a small climb up Stocking Ave/Lane again, just to grow the legs.

Enjoy the boringness below...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4938376223

Oh to see the Blessington lakes again :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement