Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nilhg wrote: »
    Came back from the yard this morning with blue skies and dry roads, got the good bike ready, ate the breakfast and got changed, just as I was ready to go a big black cloud blew in and it started to snow, TBH I was thinking of the turbo but it cleared after a while and I headed out in company with my young fella. Thankfully we avoided any more showers, couldn't avoid the wind though...

60ish km with a few hard sprints thrown in to test the legs.

I had similar on Thursday, sun shining as I left work but there was an issue with my brakes rubbing so I pulled over to sort it and as I did the cloud blew over. I then tried to race it home. Sunshine on my face and hailstones on my arse would be the succinct review of the ride home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Running is stupid and inefficient.
    2 hours to cover just over 20k and now I need a nap.

Jaysus that's some casual run!

Inefficient to travel but much more efficient burn for me. I need 3 hours on a bike for it to feel anything more than foreplay. 50 minutes running and I'm happy for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

a148pro wrote: »

Inefficient to travel but much more efficient burn for me. I need 3 hours on a bike for it to feel anything more than foreplay. 50 minutes running and I'm happy for the day.

Ah finished out half marathon distance but paying for it now.
    Cycled 4 hours last Friday and felt much fresher.

So yeah probably better for the burn.
    But as I said inefficient. You'd not commute 20k on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Ah finished out half marathon distance but paying for it now.
    Cycled 4 hours last Friday and felt much fresher.

So yeah probably better for the burn.
    But as I said inefficient. You'd not commute 20k on foot.

Unless you’re running regularly then yeah doing 20km is gonna hurt.
    Fair play to you for going that far if you’re not a regular runner though.
    As someone who cycles and runs a lot then 20km really isn’t that far to me anymore and I’d regularly run that distance and further, but it’s gonna hurt if you don’t run very often.
    Have done plenty of 20km commutes also!
    I’d often cycle to work, leave the bike there overnight and run home then do the opposite the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Cycling is also a great way to spin the legs out after a long run - I don't know do you notice how after a really big one you're actually stiffer on days two and three afterwards than the immediate day after? Key there is to go for a gentle spin the day after the run, relaxes the muscles (I find anyway)

The other nice thing about it is that they benefit each other, cycling up hills a lot improves your running fitness and vice versa I think

Edit: prob stating the obvious there - the fitter you get the fitter you get!

Very nice now hopefully people out enjoying it

• Advertisement

Yeah I run regularly.
    Now in fairness 10 miles be a long run usually.
    Plenty 10ks this year.

Agree completely that a cycle is great to spin out the legs. That's today's plan.

The inefficiency comment was coming from the fact my run was on a part of a regular cycle route these days.
    Lockdown issue.

You'd really notice how much more effort you need to put in and how much longer straights take.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

a148pro wrote: »

When I ran regularly, I used to reckon that running versus cycling was a 1:4 ratio for comparable feelings of tiredness and muscle pain. That ratio related to time at the activity rather than distance covered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would love to live near a decent hill. maybe someone should do some research as to whether cyclists are willing to spend more on property to live near hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

i would love to live near a decent hill. maybe someone should do some research as to whether cyclists are willing to spend more on property to live near hills.
    Maybe do a house swap (if that’s allowed). I’d love to live near a decent flat stretch. Getting tired of climbing to Glencullen in my 5km!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my house is at 57m elevation. i can get to sea level within the 5km, but i think the highest ground within that 5km is only 30m higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Sandyford at 97m elevation, and max elevation on way to Glencullen (via Ticknock) is 387m. I usually prefer rail trails and royal canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

When I ran regularly, I used to reckon that running versus cycling was a 1:4 ratio for comparable feelings of tiredness and muscle pain. That ratio related to time at the activity rather than distance covered.

Back in the day when i did both, my minimum run was 5 miles and my minimum cycle was 25 miles, so I used to reckon 1:5 ratio. I based my comparison on effort required and what it took out of me. Not scientific but how body reacted. If it was safe to do so in here i would have also said a 1 mile open sea swim too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Got out for an hour after dinner, passed the spa well, up Stocking Lane, passed the DSPCA and home via Gunny Hill.
    Only eejit out in shorts, the rain felt good though.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/YOjlskBBEeb

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Had to drop something to Donnybrook garage for work, so decided to jump on the bike, through UCD then back inside my 5km rathgar, city centre, 2 laps inside the park, including about a kilometre of grass/track/trail cycling (unintentionally) after not realising the turn to Farmleigh was a dead end.
    @lollipop Jimmy, if you ever offer me to join you on your cyclocross trips, remind me of today :D

42km at 25.5 kph, lovely day for it, even if it was a bit blowy, I avoided most of the rain.

https://strava.app.link/Wz9t8mHCEeb

CianRyan wrote: »
    Only eejit out in shorts, the rain felt good though.
    shorts for me today too, was too warm/humid for leggings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out yesterday and again today, absolutely amazing weather today and seeing lots of shorts and short sleeves. Had the winter gear on myself today and for once was way too warm. 26k with 522 of up today, 22k with 538 yesterday, plenty of mud on both occasions and I reckon the bike needs a bit of TLC after work this evening given the abuse its getting. For any of you who are thinking of skipping off work a bit early for a spin, I'd heartily recommend it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Phoenix park. Long sleeve baselayer but gilet instead of light long sleeve jacket and leg warmers. this was partly as I didn't want to put suncream on arms and legs. Lovel 45 km around the park and tolka valley park and home. Not remotely fast, but my wrist didn't give me any issue as it was well wrapped up .

I went out to collect something yesterday, and came back on the river path Mercian Pro mentioned near Violet Hill and Addison Hall apartments. Took a corner all wrong and nearly faceplanted myself due to the muck. Not sure how I stayed upright but I did

Lovely evening.
    The shorts were out!!
    A light thermal and jersey.

24k at 30kph. Great to have dry roads.
    Lucky too, just missed a monster pothole

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have TAN LINES, welcome to summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is Matt Damon back in Dublin? I am sure I passed him outside Glencullen GAA club this morning.
    Glorious morning out, the mountains are mobbed.

• Advertisement

Beautiful out there today though Cruagh and Stocking lane were packed with lots of walkers on the roads. Lots of smiling faces and a fair number of take out pints being skulled outside the Merry Ploughboy. 32k with 735m of up for me. May just have a rummage around the fridge for a tasty 'recovery' brew myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

retalivity wrote: »
    Is Matt Damon back in Dublin? I am sure I passed him outside Glencullen GAA club this morning.
    Glorious morning out, the mountains are mobbed.

Well I hope you gave him some abuse, that's more than 5k from Dalkey.

Can't have been many cyclists on that road, there aren't many people live within 5k of both ends of it?

Short one for me today up to the viewing point taking in a bit of Cruagh woods en route. Really struggled up Cruagh road, needing a lower gear than normal and feeling shattered by the second bridge. Looked down to find out I'd been in the big ring since leaving the house and no doubt have stretched the chain some with the cross chaining. No faster for it, so I reckon I'll check my gears keep to spinning in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

retalivity wrote: »
    Well I hope you gave him some abuse,

abuse Jason Bourne? wanna be a brave man to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Feels great when you're only getting back into a sport and every ride Strava gives you gold medals. :pac:
    It's definitely encouraging, felt great out there tonight.

https://strava.app.link/yZRePgwxJeb

CianRyan wrote: »
    Feels great when you're only getting back into a sport and every ride Strava gives you gold medals. :pac:
    It's definitely encouraging, felt great out there tonight.

https://strava.app.link/yZRePgwxJeb

Great stuff.
    It's a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

smacl wrote: »
    Looked down to find out I'd been in the big ring since leaving the house and no doubt have stretched the chain some with the cross chaining. No faster for it, so I reckon I'll check my gears keep to spinning in future.

Is this bad? I always cycle long distance (60k plus at a time) without ever changing the gear on the front (it’s always on the big ring). I do try to keep the gears on the small ring at the back though to prevent cross chaining. I thought you only need to change it to the small ring when going up steep hills?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Is this bad? I always cycle long distance (60k plus at a time) without ever changing the gear on the front (it’s always on the big ring). I do try to keep the gears on the small ring at the back though to prevent cross chaining. I thought you only need to change it to the small ring when going up steep hills?

Smacl is always going up steep hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Weepsie wrote: »
    Smacl is always going up steep hills

If Smacl wasn’t going up steep hills, would it be normal not to switch from the big ring to the small ring on the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    If Smacl wasn’t going up steep hills, would it be normal not to switch from the big ring to the small ring on the front?

Yep, most folk would keep small ring for hills as opposed to drags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement