Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It's totally doable on a hybrid, but maybe do a few long (duration) rides within the 5km beforehand, to see how you feel after a few hours on the bike - if (eg) your neck is sore, or you're getting numb hands (or numb privates), you need to adjust the bike, etc before the big ride(s) or you'll really suffer on day two.

The bottom line is that you'll only find out if a bike really fits you in the third hour of a ride...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Type 17 wrote: »
    It's totally doable on a hybrid, but maybe do a few long (duration) rides within the 5km beforehand, to see how you feel after a few hours on the bike - if (eg) your neck is sore, or you're getting numb hands (or numb privates), you need to adjust the bike, etc before the big ride(s) or you'll really suffer on day two.

The bottom line is that you'll only find out if a bike really fits you in the third hour of a ride...

Cheers only thing I’ve noticed on the 10km cycle is slightly numb hands, what causes that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Numb hands is likely to be from an unsuitable bike fit causing increased pressure on your hands on the bars
    https://www.roadbikerider.com/numb-hands-d1/
    https://www.eta.co.uk/2017/07/13/what-causes-numb-hands-while-cycling/

Numb hands is likely to be from an unsuitable bike fit causing increased pressure on your hands on the bars
    https://www.roadbikerider.com/numb-hands-d1/
    https://www.eta.co.uk/2017/07/13/what-causes-numb-hands-while-cycling/

Thanks it’s an old bike I’m using at the moment as I’m waiting on my new one to arrive into the shop. I’ll take a read of those links

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, you don't necessarily need to grip the bars if you're on a flat road, you can use the bars almost as a hand rest.

is it a buzzy sort of numbness? could just be a case of acclimatising to road buzz.

• Advertisement

also, you don't necessarily need to grip the bars if you're on a flat road, you can use the bars almost as a hand rest.

is it a buzzy sort of numbness? could just be a case of acclimatising to road buzz.

Yeah is more like a buzz I think, dosnt happen too often as I managed 14km this evening and it didn’t happpen, I’m definitely not in the correct riding position as I feel a lot more comfortable when I sit right back at the rear of the seat. The bike shop said they’ll get me fitted properly on the new bike when it arrives so hopefully that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

My rear derailleur packed it in and left me stranded on the Dublin Road tonight..
    Do I buy a new one or can they be repaired.. A screw broke and sent the derailleur into the wheel manipulating the 2chain wheels...
    Are they expensive as i have not budgeted for this and do not want to be without the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    My rear derailleur packed it in and left me stranded on the Dublin Road tonight..
    Do I buy a new one or can they be repaired.. A screw broke and sent the derailleur into the wheel manipulating the 2chain wheels...
    Are they expensive as i have not budgeted for this and do not want to be without the bike

I would expect that it is best to replace it rather than repair but hard to say without inspection or knowing which screw failed.

Their price depends on the groupset and can be relatively cheap, or relative expensive. I would suggest that if you are unsure which end of the market is applicable for your groupset, a replacement is likely to be on the cheaper side.

Chain Reaction or will give you quick price guidelines but they can be as low as under 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Sorry for going off topic..
    The screw that somehow came out of the Cannondale derailleur is in the photo below.
    As far as i can tell its that silver bolt, the housing appears cracked
    And the rest is just a distressing mess.. I can not figure out how to realign it

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Yeah is more like a buzz I think, dosnt happen too often as I managed 14km this evening and it didn’t happpen, I’m definitely not in the correct riding position as I feel a lot more comfortable when I sit right back at the rear of the seat. The bike shop said they’ll get me fitted properly on the new bike when it arrives so hopefully that makes a difference

What kind of grips have you on the bars of the current bike? Have a look at lifeline ergo grips etc. for 20 euro odd you'll have 2 hand positions and your weight and grip better distributed.

From what you are saying about sitting further back on the saddle, you are favouring a lower more stretched out position on the bike than riding more upright??? I'd be looking a road bike here if I was you or hybrids with a lot in common with road bikes in terms of reach etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The screw that somehow came out of the Cannondale derailleur is in the photo below.
    And the rest is just a distressing mess.. I can not figure out how to realign it

I'd definitely be buying a new derailleur. Make sure to pick the appropriate size, 10 or 11 speed for your cassette.

What kind of grips have you on the bars of the current bike? Have a look at lifeline ergo grips etc. for 20 euro odd you'll have 2 hand positions and your weight and grip better distributed.

From what you are saying about sitting further back on the saddle, you are favouring a lower more stretched out position on the bike than riding more upright??? I'd be looking a road bike here if I was you or hybrids with a lot in common with road bikes in terms of reach etc.

No it just feels like I’m too close to the handlebars sitting in the normal position in the saddle, I think most decent bikes allow you to adjust the saddle forwards and backwards so I’m hoping that will solve it, the bike I have at the moment would be very basic but I’ll definitely pick up some better grips and bar ends for the new bike to give me better options for my hand position

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No it just feels like I’m too close to the handlebars sitting in the normal position in the saddle, I think most decent bikes allow you to adjust the saddle forwards and backwards so I’m hoping that will solve it, the bike I have at the moment would be very basic but I’ll definitely pick up some better grips and bar ends for the new bike to give me better options for my hand position

Sounds like either the bike is too small and/or setup is all wrong. Your new bike will sort this, but if keeping the old one look at setting it up better. You may be able move the saddle back and a number of hybrids have adjustable stems that may move the bars a bit forward. You should also check the saddle height which may be too low.

If you're being fitted on the new bike, you could try to setup your old one to have similar saddle height and reach to the bars.

smacl wrote: »
    Sounds like either the bike is too small and/or setup is all wrong. Your new bike will sort this, but if keeping the old one look at setting it up better. You may be able move the saddle back and a number of hybrids have adjustable stems that may move the bars a bit forward. You should also check the saddle height which may be too low.

If you're being fitted on the new bike, you could try to setup your old one to have similar saddle height and reach to the bars.

Yep the new bike is a giant escape and the saddle can be adjusted. The old bike is going on adverts ASAP!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The old bike is going on adverts ASAP!
    Erm, n+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TFW you get in off the bike and realised that you came close to a couple of PRs without actually trying that hard. if i'd known, i'd have tried a bit harder.

Erm, n+1

What’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have a read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

TFW you get in off the bike and realised that you came close to a couple of PRs without actually trying that hard. if i'd known, i'd have tried a bit harder.

Felt very windy up in Kilmashogue woods earlier today, got a PR barely having to pedal. Should have pushed it to get a decent placing. All this going around the same 5k day after day is making those PRs that bit more difficult to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A nice hour in the saddle at lunch. Jut north of 400m of climbing over 19km and successfully found the steepest section I believe I have ever been up topping out around 44%, once it reached about 25-30% I was loosing traction and had to hop off and walk the final 30m, it defeated me. Thanfully I found a nice window when the rain stayed off

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Have a read.

Ha sorry didn’t spot the link in the post! Yep fair point except my current bike is just an older poorer version of my new bike, unless I swap the tyres for chunky ones...... hmmm

successfully found the steepest section I believe I have ever been up topping out around 44%
    you were on a mountain bike?

you were on a mountain bike?

Nope on a road (36 - 30 easiest gear) bike, hence having to get off and walk that last section.

I assume there is some over estimation happening on the gpx

where was this road? i've never heard of a 44% gradient in ireland.

where was this road? i've never heard of a 44% gradient in ireland.

I’ll pm you a link to a segment because I’m sure the houses there would not appreciate cyclists ascending on it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I’ll pm you a link to a segment because I’m sure the houses there would not appreciate cyclists ascending on it regularly

Ah don't be like that, I'm sure most people couldn't hack it anyway. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What speed is it?

I reckon some certain parts of bray and Howth have some fairly steep bits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ha sorry didn’t spot the link in the post! Yep fair point except my current bike is just an older poorer version of my new bike, unless I swap the tyres for chunky ones...... hmmm

Be warned - it's quite the rabbit hole :pac:

• Advertisement

the right hand at the church in howth maxes out at 22% i think; and that's about the max for kilmashogue too. i'm just sceptical about a road being *twice* as steep. it's undoubtedly steep, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement