Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

A nice hour in the saddle at lunch. Jut north of 400m of climbing over 19km and successfully found the steepest section I believe I have ever been up topping out around 44%, once it reached about 25-30% I was loosing traction and had to hop off and walk the final 30m, it defeated me. Thanfully I found a nice window when the rain stayed off

44 per cent sounds like a mistake. Not sure we have any paved road that steep in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Saw a video on GCN couple years ago that claims steepest road in the world is in Wales and has a section at 36% and averages out at 16. And that took the record from a street in New Zealand at 35%. To go from there to 44, is a massive difference for it to be unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think we all agree we need to see this.
    Am I wrong to say that, if this road was say 500m long, then it would be at a pitch of about 80 degrees from the horizon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

A quick online calculator says that a 44% gradient is "only" 23.7 degrees from horizontal.

The steepest street record rules are that just 10 metres of the street has to be at the record-breaking gradient - the current holder, Baldwin St in Dunedin, is actually flat for its first third.

Parts of of Red Lane in Wicklow, and Green Road in Dalkey might come close to some of these.

Type 17 wrote: »
    A quick online calculator says that a 44% gradient is "only" 23.7 degrees from horizontal.

The steepest street record rules are that just 10 metres of the street has to be at the record-breaking gradient - the current holder, Baldwin St in Dunedin, is actually flat for its first third.

Parts of of Red Lane in Wicklow, and Green Road in Dalkey might come close to some of these.

It's all kicking off in the fight for the worlds steepest street.
    Baldwin Street, in Dunedin, New Zealand, has been reinstated as the world’s steepest street (road) after a formal record review.

Baldwin street previously held the record for over a decade until June 2019, when the record was awarded to Ffordd Pen Llech, in Harlech, Wales.

The decision to reinstate the previous record holder was reached following the completion of an extensive review of an appeal, brought by representatives of Baldwin Street.

68 lost souls could cause an international incident with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It's all kicking off in the fight for the worlds steepest street.

68 lost souls could cause an international incident with this.

Haha I didn’t expect it to kick into a debate like this. I also stated it was the peak gradient on the section. The average for 1.31km is 8.9 and it progressively gets steeper. 18 people have done it according to strava.

Anyway here is another not so private hill on the route I did today which is also pretty brutal

https://strava.app.link/VxwKS2IfVeb

Haha I didn’t expect it to kick into a debate like this. I also stated it was the peak gradient on the section. The average for 1.31km is 8.9 and it progressively gets steeper. 18 people have done it according to strava.

Anyway here is another not so private hill on the route I did today which is also pretty brutal

Decent hill for some intervals with the loop road to bring you back to the start. (Says I knowing I am nowhere near it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Type 17 wrote: »

Red Lane doesn't come close, I'd say the odd parts tip 25% but that's it, overall it is more the length that does most of us in. Dalkey has a few bits that hit over 30% but most are close to walking but they are all off road in the park, on the main roads, I'd say slightly steeper than red lane in parts but nothing for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sorry a bit off topic again but do most people use Strava? I’ve been using map my ride

Decent hill for some intervals with the loop road to bring you back to the start. (Says I knowing I am nowhere near it)

I’m attempting to climb every hill in my 5km radius so seems all I’m doing is hill repeats, had 4x8 minutes zone 4 to do today so worked out well. A few really nice roads along the route there, passed a field full of deer, a family of goats on the road and a few chickens here and there.

In relation to which app I use my Garmin, most would probably use some sort of watch or head unit and they sync with Srava, training peaks or others. I flip flop between strava and training peaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Went out today to push the amount for March over 600km. Got about 9km into the spin and had to turn around. Looks like the piriformis syndrome that I had a few years ago is back to haunt me. A few days of sitting on a ball and a foam roller coming up

Sorry to hear about that reoccurring. Good mileage for the month of March there, does it occur with excessive load? Hope it settles down for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You're doing that segment the wrong way around

retalivity wrote: »
    You're doing that segment the wrong way around

I will be doing it the other way too don’t worry....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I will be doing it the other way too don’t worry....

Only did it once myself, I remember it being proper thunderbastard steep, shorter but steeper than cunard across the valley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Ha! I still hold the QOM on that segment. No other woman has been foolish enough to go up it since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CianRyan wrote: »
    I think we all agree we need to see this.
    Am I wrong to say that, if this road was say 500m long, then it would be at a pitch of about 80 degrees from the horizon? :pac:
    IIRC, it's simple rise over run - so a 45% climb would score a gradient of 1, or 100%, as the horizontal distance and vertical distance would be equal.
    a 'climb' of 90 degrees vertical would actually class as having an infinitely high gradient.

The steepest paved climb I can think of near me is maybe 70-80m long but well into the 20's in terms of gradient the problem is to get onto this road you have to go up a few steps around a barrier and start the climb from a standing start as it's a cul de sac. I think the gain is 20-25 meters.

Actually it's 123m from google maps and likely too short for a strava segment???? Which is why I don't see one maybe. If you were to create one it would take the average way down I'd say as you'd have to ride the flat to meet the required length.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what gradient is thee road up to the Hellfire in Dublin?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

silverharp wrote: »
    what gradient is thee road up to the Hellfire in Dublin?

Gunny Hill is about 6%, not sure about the right at the T junction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean stocking lane? maxes out at about 12% or 13% according to strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you mean stocking lane? maxes out at about 12% or 13% according to strava.

Yes, thanks, Its not a metric I took note of before, yet to cycle up it, was something I want to try later in the year. good to get a sense of the % though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That tops out at 27.2 per cent so you'd need another 16.8 per cent on top of that to make 44. Post the link and put us out of our misery!! I've become a steep hill fetishist in the lockdown as have a few beauts in my area.

Problem with my derailleur last Sunday and had to go up a 24 per cent hill without the top two gears and made a top 10 so I'm starting to rethink my steep climb strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Sorry to hear about that reoccurring. Good mileage for the month of March there, does it occur with excessive load? Hope it settles down for you

Cheers. Could well be related to an increase. I did my second 100km on Saturday so it could be contributing to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

At a relatively modest average 18.3% average, Fence Climb is one of the toughest of the local segments I do regularly on the gravel bike (off road). On the highlighted section, weight on the back wheel and the front goes skyward, weight forward and the back spins. Feet always come down at this point.

548163.jpg

Will have to give that one out by the reservoirs a go once 5k lifts. The nearby off road starting here is another challenging one for gravel bikes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unexpected sunshine this morning so skipped the coffee ritual and went to the park.

Did a figure 8 loop and a quarter loop. Figure 8 makes it closer to 20km around with only a small bit of crossover of roads.

Bagged a KoM though I was 45 seconds behind for the first 4 km so now I wonder do I bother trying it again and seeing if I can knock those 45 seconds off?

Also saw the same group of 3 70-80 something year old men on their bikes that I saw earlier in the week. Still making fun of each other and having a good time. Sort of thing to ease the misery of late

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/1XeqET9gWeb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Weepsie wrote: »

Also saw the same group of 3 70-80 something year old men on their bikes that I saw earlier in the week. Still making fun of each other and having a good time. Sort of thing to ease the misery of late

By far the most enriching thing I've seen during this lockdown is older people out and about enjoying themselves. Highlight was seeing a couple well into their 80s up Cruagh in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

smacl wrote: »
    At a relatively modest average 18.3% average, Fence Climb is one of the toughest of the local segments I do regularly on the gravel bike (off road).

I think I've pushed up that. Would be very hard to cycle it (for me anyway).

The gravel holy grail is the one up above the linked one from the reservoir that leads up towards Seehan / Seefin / Corrig. You can see it really well from the other side of the valley but I think its a private road. Hope to ask permission from the landowner sometime, I gather from lads who've ran it that he's decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thank God it's only 200m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement