Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm going out later to do laps of my local hill which is 110% :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

smacl wrote: »
    At a relatively modest average 18.3% average, Fence Climb is one of the toughest of the local segments I do regularly on the gravel bike (off road). On the highlighted section, weight on the back wheel and the front goes skyward, weight forward and the back spins. Feet always come down at this point.

Will have to give that one out by the reservoirs a go once 5k lifts. The nearby off road starting here is another challenging one for gravel bikes.

I used to run that route regularly and its tough on foot let alone two wheels.

That discruption sums up perfectly the feelings yesterday, I was terrified of falling going uphill because of lack of traction, had to find the perfect balance point and control the power in the pedals to find that sweetspot between enough power to move forward and no too much to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭vintcerf

when i did skellig ring this climb seemed impossible, i'm curious to see if anyone has actually ever conquered it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8671841,-10.3781486,3a,75y,171.37h,99.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxw0u2ZJrjZ4sK7Wl_aIxMA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Sorry a bit off topic again but do most people use Strava? I’ve been using map my ride
    It's 50:50, I like Strava as it gives me day to day changes as well as trends over time but there are equally good and similar trackers around. I particularly like it as I can compete specifically with locals, club mates and boardsies on segments without ever having to be sociable and meet them.

40k after lunch. Started in glorious sunshine and ended in slanty hail. Had to stop twice due to gusts and bullet like hail. No choice but to put on shades despite being very dark to protect eyes from the bullets. Worst conditions I've been out in for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

vintcerf wrote: »
    when i did skellig ring this climb seemed impossible, i'm curious to see if anyone has actually ever conquered it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8671841,-10.3781486,3a,75y,171.37h,99.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxw0u2ZJrjZ4sK7Wl_aIxMA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This looks like the segment here. 12% average and ramps up into the 20s.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/8021496

The other side looks more fun with the switchbacks.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/7173634

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭vintcerf

This looks like the segment here. 12% average and ramps up into the 20s.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/8021496

The other side looks more fun with the switchbacks.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/7173634

wow, cheers for finding that. those times are mental, I also recognised some names - mostly pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

It featured regularly in the Rás and Rás Mumhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

35K around north Wicklow, couple of Strava PBs (largely wind assisted) - the flipside being I was grinding into a solid westerly for much of it, and getting blown sideways by sudden gusts anytime I passed a gate. I may have mentioned before, I hate the wind.

Getting bored of the same old roads I brought my bluetooth earphones with me thinking I'd listen to a podcast on the quieter sections (just in the left ear, safety fans). Stopped, took them out of my pocket and only then realised I'd forgotten my bloody phone...

I think I'd struggle to get up that 269 per cent section in the middle one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

same old loop today, enlivened near the end by a chap standing at a pedestrian crossing with a puppy on a long leash. that could have been messy, i managed to miss it by about a foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

First ride on new bike(Giant Contend SL1 Disc), up around Cruagh. A world of difference from my heavy Surly, especially in the ascent. Lots of PBs in Strava. Felt very nervous coming down, breaking most of the way as I'm not used to such a light bike compared to my Surly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

80k.
    2 laps of the extents of the 5k and bit of wandering at the end.

Christ it'd be nice to go somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

86km yesterday in blustery, gusty, NCD. I've never come as close to being cleaned out of it as I did yesterday at the small roundabout at the exit from Batter Lane on the R132. Dope in a 161D Golf actually slowed as she approached the roundabout ( I was crossing from Batter Lane, on her right ) but for some inexplicable reason she just carried on. Just managed to swerve but I had to mount the small lip on the roundabout. Not that she cared, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the plus side, nice to ditch all the winter gear, 1st time in short this year, downside wind was like cycling in treacle , was timing it and at 4K was 2min behind and 6k 4min behind so went nope on the timing and just treated it as a leisure ride.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2 punctures inside first 40mins so took the way way out and went home to complete on the turbo.

Hoping to get out midweek with the clock changes.

retalivity wrote: »
    You're doing that segment the wrong way around

As promised I went out and did that today. 32km and 770m of climbing inside the 5km radius. Found some more killer hills and I think I have maybe 2-3 spins left to cover the remaining hills. Hoping to come in for circa 5km of climbing inside my 5km without doubling up at all

Managed 90k on Sunday morning. Considered the shed but got inspired and headed out into a gale and managed to drag the brother with me. Not a soul out and about in my quiet corner of the world. I always find that in bad weather the hardest part is just getting out the door and you don't even notice bad weather after that. Fingers crossed for some easing of rules and the option to explore further afield. 90k with 900 climbing at 27kph with two wind assisted Strava cups thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Managed 90k on Sunday morning. Considered the shed but got inspired and headed out into a gale and managed to drag the brother with me. Not a soul out and about in my quiet corner of the world. I always find that in bad weather the hardest part is just getting out the door and you don't even notice bad weather after that. Fingers crossed for some easing of rules and the option to explore further afield. 90k with 900 climbing at 27kph with two wind assisted Strava cups thrown in for good measure.

definitely was up late with the clock change lying in bed at 7am listening to the rain beating off the roof of the house. dragged myself out at 10:30 and enjoyed my 40km although the weather was definitely getting worse again by then.
    dmade me feel better about watching the mens and womens races at ghent wevelgem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

As promised I went out and did that today. 32km and 770m of climbing inside the 5km radius. Found some more killer hills and I think I have maybe 2-3 spins left to cover the remaining hills. Hoping to come in for circa 5km of climbing inside my 5km without doubling up at all

I tried Newtown lane in Glenasmole for the first time on Sunday. Absolute killer.

• Advertisement

bbuzz wrote: »
    I tried Newtown lane in Glenasmole for the first time on Sunday. Absolute killer.

Can’t seem to find it by the name anywhere. Is this the section you are talking about?

https://strava.app.link/ueiUUtfp1eb

EDIT: Nope figured it out, one further North form that. One of the ones I have to tick off still it seems. Looks rough enough, I had menat to do it yesterday but took a left slightly earlier instead.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11451950

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

iirc, the newtown lane road surface is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

iirc, the newtown lane road surface is horrendous
    The surface wasn’t too bad especially going up, having said that I wouldn’t want to be descending it fast - basically a step up from a bohereen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yellahmann

50km in shorts and short sleeves. Windy but pleasantly warm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I managed 50km @ 27.9km/h today but found the wind a bit of a killer. Even the tail winds seemed to be going against me.
    Still, after a recent foot injury, I'm glad to be back out again.
    Need to get some hills in but between them being outside my 5km and my my heel probably isn't ready yet, it could be a while before I'm climbing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick pre-lunch spin up cruagh/tibradden/viewpoint.
    Glorious out there, first day this year with shorts, short sleeves and no gloves, the first day I ate 3-4 flies and have the start of some tanlines.
    Must be solar panels in the legs as well as, faster up the climbs than I've been since last summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Quick pre-lunch spin up cruagh/tibradden/viewpoint.
    Glorious out there, first day this year with shorts, short sleeves and no gloves, the first day I ate 3-4 flies and have the start of some tanlines.
    Must be solar panels in the legs as well as, faster up the climbs than I've been since last summer.

Same neck of the woods over lunch. Saw by first butterfly of the year! Tibradden woods, crossed over to Cruagh woods, Viewing point, down stocking lane and back up Cruagh lane to the Viewing point again and back down again. 28k with 750m of climbing, gravel, tarmac and sunshine. Pure glorious out there today and supposed to be a warm evening. May just sneak back out for a bit later. Hope this weather holds out for the lifting of 5k, would love a long day out in these conditions.

Got out at lunch again for another set of zone 4 efforts. Got to take in Newtown Lane, need to go back and do it the other way next.Really enjoyed the shorts weather. Looped back around and did a loop up Cunard Road lower and back on the upper and then finished up Allagour and back towards home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

First spin in shorts / short sleeves this year thanks to the weather. Cycled into a swarm of tiny black flies and ended up taking a couple of hundred home with me stuck to my arms, legs, and face. I've trapped flies before but this was excessive! They seem to die on impact for some reason.

My phone says there'll be snow on Monday so I won't put the tights away yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Counted 65 cyclists on one of my circuits in the Park this morning. I suppose some going the opposite way were counted twice but to balance that, there were presumably others going my way that I never caught (or they never caught me)!

Started with a gilet and arm warmers but was delighted to pack them away and go with jersey and shorts for the last few circuits. Don't think I'll get away with that over the next three days as 14, 10 and 7 degrees forecast for Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement