Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Need to rename this thread “tell us about your inter county cycle”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

bazermc wrote: »
    Need to rename this thread “tell me about your 20km + intra-county cycle” from the 12th of next month.

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Type 17 wrote: »
    FYP :)

So if I’m in Dublin can I cycle wherever with in Dublin and 20km into Wicklow or Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You'll be able to cycle up to 20km from home (which may include parts of neighbouring counties, if your house is near the county border) and also anywhere within the county your house is in.

Eg: If you live in south Dublin (eg: Mount Merrion), you can go as far as Greystones in WW, Leixlip in KE (only just over the border) and as far as the border with Meath in the north of Dublin.

Go here and drag the blue pin to your house and then change the radius at the top to 20km

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Irish Times is reporting it as follows...
    The Cabinet has agreed that from April 12th people will be allowed to travel within their county, or within a 20km radius of their home if that crosses a county boundary.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/covid-19-two-vaccinated-people-or-households-can-now-meet-indoors-a-fortnight-after-second-dose-taoiseach-confirms-1.4523777?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That's how it's reported everywhere I've seen.
    Your county plus 20k radius of your house into other counties

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Same as what's posted on the Official Government website:

"Travel; You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home if crossing county boundaries"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

Back to old faithful: https://2kmfromhome.com/20km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Same as what's posted on the Official Government website:

"Travel; You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home if crossing county boundaries"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

Back to old faithful: https://2kmfromhome.com/20km

Alot more hills to climb on my way home now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Jaysus I can make it to Sally Gap from my house now, legally anyway... Not sure about my legs. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

88km today in glorious sunshine, loads out. I gambled by just bringing one water bottle, which thankfully was'nt an issue as I finished with a few circuits around Swords. Second day in shorts this year, it's nice to be able to get ready for a spin without resorting to astronaut preparation efforts!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely day for it, *tiny* bit chillier than expected leaving the house but i was glad of it because i decided to push it a little on my usual loops at the back of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

lovely day for it, *tiny* bit chillier than expected leaving the house but i was glad of it because i decided to push it a little on my usual loops at the back of the airport.

Yeah I saw all the posts here about shorts and jerseys.
    Slightly optimistic by 6pm.
    Decided after 5mins to shorten to a 25km blast.
    Gave it socks. Spent the whole spin in zones 4&5. Sweatin...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out in short sleeves for me; i usually don the shorts at about 10C

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

T'was a lovely day for it, shorts and short sleeved light Jersey.
    My average didn't go up, but at times I felt like it really was no problem spinning the pedals, amazing what a bit of sun can do.
    Head is quite red right now.

Had a pr!ck overtaking about 5 cars that weren't going fast enough for him on the upper glen road in the park straight towards me, poor fecker had an emergency and this was more important than me getting home apparently!!!

Other than that, a lovely 45 km spin at 26.5 kph

https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqDQwzPdwv

Loving these relive videos, and you might even see the pr!ck that overtook in the park in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

20k is grand, gets me to Glencree and Crone wood (the road behind Glencree) and a wee stretch gets me to sallygap so can head across and home

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

hmm, bohernabreena is about 1km inside the 20 for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

silverharp wrote: »
    20k is grand, gets me to Glencree and Crone wood (the road behind Glencree) and a wee stretch gets me to sallygap so can head across and home

Very much the same, 20k gets me a good bit past the Sally Gap and gives me Blessington on that side. Still a bit short of Roundwood on the other side, but enough to get back via Ballinastoe. Hopefully the restrictions will be gone altogether a few months later. Would love to get back out west to Mayo or down to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

hmm, bohernabreena is about 1km inside the 20 for me.

Boharnabreena is still within Dublin so you'll be fine, just continue down into Brittas and straight across the N81 over Slade and down into Rathcoole.

doh!
    only a tiny bit of wicklow falls within my 20km. less than the area of the phoenix park, it seems.

can dublin annex some of wicklow? it's not like they'd notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

If I currently live in Dun Laoghaire, but I have bought a house in Delgany, which I can reach within 20km can I then use my Delgany address to access the rest of Wicklow?

• Advertisement

I created a South Dublin mountain loop last year with a longer and shorter version.

Long version from Dun Laoighaire to Newcastle.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33023575

Short version from Glencullen to Newcastle.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33023722

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If I currently live in Dun Laoghaire, but I have bought a house in Delgany, which I can reach within 20km can I then use my Delgany address to access the rest of Wicklow?

Only if you plan on moving into the house in Delgany. No that flies in the face of it. It is form your primary residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The above posts really highlight the nonsense that the 5/20k limit is.

You can get as far as Sally gap, but not Glenmacnass waterfall as the risk of giving/receiving Covid when passing the zero houses on the additional road to the waterfall rises exponentially.

that suggests that the rule should be based on a 'how many houses you pass' metric.

it's a blunt tool, and we know it's blunt but it's not a tool you can sharpen without tying yourself up in even more contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Only if you plan on moving into the house in Delgany. No that flies in the face of it. It is form your primary residence.

If I could live in the house in Delgany I would already be there! I'm happy enough with the relaxed county/20km restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I created a South Dublin mountain loop last year with a longer and shorter version.

Short version from Glencullen to Newcastle.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33023722

what is the part from Rockbrook to Newcastle like? not done that before. Lamb Doyles- Johnny foxes-Rockbrook is a great ride which feels more Wicklowesque than Dublin.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    what is the part from Rockbrook to Newcastle like? not done that before. Lamb Doyles- Johnny foxes-Rockbrook is a great ride which feels more Wicklowesque than Dublin.

Pretty demanding, from Rockbrook up Cruagh Road to the Viewing Point then to the Featherbeds and turn down the really steep road into Glenasmole. Getting out of the valley via Allagour isn't a picnic either, a 15% gradient on narrow roads is demanding. Turn left up to the top of Bohernabreena, down to Brittas and straight across the N81 and up McDonagh's Lane. Steep descent down Slade Valley to Rathcoole, turn left up Steelstown/Windmill Hill across the N7 then the last hill is Athgoe before Newcastle.

If you can do all that and find it easy, try it in reverse, the gradients are even steeper especially at Cunard in Glenasmole. The climb features in the Reservoir Dog. You won't even want to go into Wicklow!

The routes I've linked to in a previous post can be edited to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

*heads up*

get the outdoor spins in everyone before the big freeze early next week

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Thanks NamelessPhil, I'll give that a go shortly after the 5K limit is extended

• Advertisement

bloody wind changed this afternoon as i was aiming for a PR on a segment; one which changes direction three times. still, i knocked nearly a minute off my best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement