Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

75 km with about 800m of climbing, spun away with club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out yesterday for 90 mins away from family duties. Just after eating so was less than ideal but was nice to get out anyway for a quick 40 Km

Pretty much the same route today as Saturday. Got a few PRs - which was a surprise and hit 66 kmh heading down into Naul. Happy out..

https://www.strava.com/activities/775122928

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yeah the N81 surface is good but the other roads are perfectly fine. Also, the N81 is a busy enough road so it's much better to go via the smaller roads for some peace and quiet. It makes for a much nicer spin. You might encounter a bit of traffic on the smaller roads near Manor Kilbride on Sunday if you're there close to mass times but that's about it. Most motorist out that direction are well used to cyclists as it's a popular route.

Enjoy!
    didnt get out due to a tonne of beer on Saturday, woke up fuzzyheaded and decided that a day chilling was in order, Damm soccer & rugby games on back to back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Bloggsie wrote: »
    didnt get out due to a tonne of beer on Saturday, woke up fuzzyheaded and decided that a day chilling was in order, Damm soccer & rugby games on back to back!
    I went out that way myself with two other lads and stopped for a coffee in Blessington. I also had a few beers watching the matches but I took it easy as I'd to be up early for my young lads rugby match. The fuzzy head had well cleared by 12:30 when I set out on the bike.

I added a bit on the way home and got in 70km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Snapped chain on the commute home. Started walking. Used mobile to ring home.

Lovely evening for a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I must get one of those peaked caps.

I aquired a couple of those over the last few years. I'll pop one (unused) into your post box in the morning, all going as planned.

They really don't suit my head shape :(

-=-=-=-=-

I had great cycling plans for last week, hopped on the bike on Monday and commuted into work @ minus 3 degrees (with windchill).. 16km with the little extra I add on. On the way home I got a bleedin' puncture at about 3.5km and called into the in laws to fix it, as they were only around the corner. Ended up being persuaded to take a lift home as they wanted me to bring a Curry back to the missus.

It all went downhill after that with a bout of Delhi belly and I was off work Tuesday/Wednesday, and not really in condition to cycle for the rest of the week.

The weekend didn't go much better, being busy with going to a "soul" car wash, which had a lot of conditions in the small print. Venial sins? Hello?

Anyways.. even though I have now picked up, and am expunging some sort of cough/chest related little bugs, I had enough of sitting on my arse and got on the bike this morning to commute to work. 19km done and 11km to home.

My immune system and I shall not be reading about all you lot cycling and enjoying yourselves this week, thus adding to my miserable'ness.

Plus Strava keeps telling me how far "behind" I am, against the target I set for myself at the start of the year, and it's getting real annoying.

I have a lot of cycling to do!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Two punctures this morning. Front and back. Cut the spin short as a result

I went out that way myself with two other lads and stopped for a coffee in Blessington. I also had a few beers watching the matches but I took it easy as I'd to be up early for my young lads rugby match. The fuzzy head had well cleared by 12:30 when I set out on the bike.

I added a bit on the way home and got in 70km.
    I didnt go nuts but possibly the lack of beers over the past number of weeks had something to do with it, I really need to get back in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

103 kms this morning Greystones out to Howth and back. Off work for the week could get very used to that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/776119335

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I aquired a couple of those over the last few years. I'll pop one (unused) into your post box in the morning, all going as planned.

Thanks, US.

I'm only seeing your post now ( I was busy with the werewolf game :) ). But I did get your text.

The cap was in the letter box this evening. Brand new too.

Mind you, the branding on the cap will raise a few eyebrows in work. :D

Thanks again. That's the second time in the last few weeks that you've dropped 'cycling gifts' into my letterbox.

Boardsies are great!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Got taken out by some wet leaves today. Those little scumbags! Bike seems ok though!

Possibly my slowest time ever for my commute this morning. Hateful headwind all the way and my legs felt tired from the moment I got out of bed, so I knew it would be a slow one even before I saw the tree in the garden swaying as I got dressed. Hope it keeps the same for the ride home tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Possibly my slowest time ever for my commute this morning. Hateful headwind all the way and my legs felt tired from the moment I got out of bed, so I knew it would be a slow one even before I saw the tree in the garden swaying as I got dressed. Hope it keeps the same for the ride home tonight!!
    Irish wind will not obey laws!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Really wasn't well prepared for the freezing temperatures and the rain this morning. I was soaked through in no time and my hands were frozen; I had decided to forgo the gloves as they would be wrecked in the rain, probably a bad decision in hindsight! I was definitely glad I changed my v-brake pads before heading out this morning too. Here's hoping it will be somewhat dry this evening!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

53km this morning. It was cold, wet and windy. Fair play to the lad I saw commuting in shorts and t shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Was half drowned this morning, coming to work in the pouring rain! The Aldi waterproof pants did their job well, the Aldi (yeah I'm cheap so far!) cycling jacket did a reasonable job keeping the wet out, with only a little getting through at the elbows, on the shoulders and a little part way down the zip. Was happy out with my mudguards till I started going at speed downhill, when the spray coming forward from under the front wheel mudguard was blown back into my face! Still, glad I didn't give in and take the car though!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

it was cold

1bryan wrote: »
    it was cold

Bitter cold! 0 degrees for 1.5 hours isnt pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

it was cold

Galibier Minstral holds no fear of this cold....had to wear it ony short commute this morning, grand n toasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jersey, Gabba 2, and jacket over the top. Big gloves, buff around my neck and cycling cap. Was nice a warm, and still going at a fair pace for my 15km this morning. Glad to not encounter any ice, I don't think it was quite cold enough for that last night. Praying for a dry evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

godtabh wrote: »
    Bitter cold! 0 degrees for 1.5 hours isnt pleasant

0 degrees and the rest. The wind chill was a killer and I'd say had it well below 0. My commute was only 35 mins in this morning but I couldn't get warm at all and I was pretty well wrapped up.

0 degrees and the rest. The wind chill was a killer and I'd say had it well below 0. My commute was only 35 mins in this morning but I couldn't get warm at all and I was pretty well wrapped up.

The garmin said zero but as you said probably colder than that.

My issue was my own stupidity. Forogot to set out dry gear. Was still damp from the wash. Though it be dry but wasn't.

There was some frost in D18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It was pretty baltic alright but a big improvement on yesterday :eek: I dug out an old balaclava fleece hat thing I bought years ago and it worked a treat for head/neck/face. Lidl base layer, Penneys waterproof running jacket (not sure how waterproof it is but it's thickish and warm) Altura rain jacket over that, winter bike gloves from wiggle, lidl winter tights. I still need to sort my feet though, will have a look for merino wool socks at lunchtime. Actually really enjoyed my 20km commute this morning with that amazing sunrise for company although took it easy in case of ice/frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shorts - check!
    Skintight Munster jersey - check!
    Gloves -check!

GoGoGo.

I did the old forget about the gloves thing yesterday, not to be recommended, will not be doing that again.

Shorts - check!
    Skintight Munster jersey - check!
    Gloves -check!

GoGoGo.

I did the old forget about the gloves thing yesterday, not to be recommended, will not be doing that again.
    Cúige Mumhan Abu

Luxman wrote: »
    Irish wind will not obey laws!!

Very true. Still managed to get home faster than going into work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

dahat wrote: »
    Galibier Minstral holds no fear of this cold....had to wear it ony short commute this morning, grand n toasty.

:eek:
    Mistral you mean! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

It was pretty baltic alright but a big improvement on yesterday :eek: I dug out an old balaclava fleece hat thing I bought years ago and it worked a treat for head/neck/face. Lidl base layer, Penneys waterproof running jacket (not sure how waterproof it is but it's thickish and warm) Altura rain jacket over that, winter bike gloves from wiggle, lidl winter tights. I still need to sort my feet though, will have a look for merino wool socks at lunchtime. Actually really enjoyed my 20km commute this morning with that amazing sunrise for company although took it easy in case of ice/frost.

I find these very good (and cheap) http://planetxireland.com/products-page/fiverfriday/planet-x-thicky-merino-socks/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

You could do with wearing cats pyjamas these last few days :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement