Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Swords -> Oldtown for a Coffee -> Swords, bit nippy at the start but a beautiful day for a cycle once warmed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cycled to the Phoenix Park to pick up a friend (Jesus, cycling in the Park at weekends is a horrible stressful experience these days, worse than cycling out on main roads even). Then cycled to Islandbridge, and up through Kilmainham, joined the Grand Canal at Suir Road, cycled along canal to Adamstown turnoff, up to Lucan, took strawberry beds route back to Castleknock, crossed M50 at 12th lock underpass , took Royal Canal back to Ashtown and finished up in the Park after coffee/cake at the Hole in the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely day out there; little fresh, but not too warm nor too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Messing in the local woods - there is a 2km tech xc loop with a fireroad back around to the top.

3 laps, giving it everything, back giving me gyp as I've not kept up the core exercises. It kinda eased off by the 3rd lap so I could push harder. HR monitor is goosed as it hit 209 bpm, more like 190.

Back end was way too squishy, tyre kept folding under me and if I had tubes I would have had multiple pinch flats. Checked when I got home, 11 psi 🀦*♂️

Lovely day out, quarry hill climbs tomorrow for the legs :vomit:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Managed to find a few hours this evening so got 60km in. Despite the sunshine, it was cool enough in the shade and I needed to put on the toe covers after a while.
    Nearly didn't need dinner when I got home after what turned out to be a massive feed of flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

About 2km from the house cycling along a straight stretch of road about 2 feet from the left verge. No hard shoulder. Wide road. Guy drives up behind me and just lays on the horn for 5-6 secs for no reason. He continued to blow as he overtook me.
    Trying to get a reaction or a wobble out of me. He got neither. Dick. Seems to be a bit of a thing at the moment as not the first time it happened. I’ll be reporting the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weirdly, after having posted about my wife having experienced it along the runway a couple of weeks ago, i had a driver sit on my tail with no attempt to overtake for about 1km, on a clear road along the runway today. thought it might have been a learner, because it was on the much quieter northern side of the main runway, but she was in the car on her own.
    if she wanted to toddle along the runway at 34km/h, the least she could have done would have been to pull in in front of me and give me a tow, i suspect i wasn't giving her much of a tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Took the scenic route to work this evening, 33km at 11c when I left. Packed the backpack with extra gear as it's forecast to be 2c at 7am tmrw morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I had a van driver pull alongside and scream at me to “get up on the path” I then screamed some things at him and scared him off, irony is I’m a van driver myself and have probably been guilty of similar behavior in the past so lesson learned

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got reported on Strava presumably for taking someone's KOM. Kinda proud until I looked at it and realised that my effort was barely the speed limit in a 30kmph and clearly no one had tried all that hard before.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Got reported on Strava presumably for taking someone's KOM. Kinda proud until I looked at it and realised that my effort was barely the speed limit in a 30kmph and clearly no one had tried all that hard before.
    What do you mean? What were you reported for? Speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I had a van driver pull alongside and scream at me to “get up on the path” I then screamed some things at him and scared him off, irony is I’m a van driver myself and have probably been guilty of similar behavior in the past so lesson learned

Funnily enough theres a section near me where its sometimes safer to go on the path for half a K or so. Yesterday a van driver on the far side of the road, direct eye contact, decided to go for the driveway i was passing, has a wheel up on the path and all. Couldn't have given a crap when i lifted him out of it, i think other drivers were more aware of my reaction than him!

What do you mean? What were you reported for? Speed limits don't apply to cyclists.
    You can flag rides in Strava for a number of reasons such as you thought they were in a car, their GPS is sh1te or it just looks dodgy as f*CK. Nothing to do with legality, just reporting accidental or intentional cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can flag rides in Strava for a number of reasons such as you thought they were in a car, their GPS is sh1te or it just looks dodgy as f*CK. Nothing to do with legality, just reporting accidental or intentional cheating.

Have flagged a couple of obvious cars.
    Assume people, usually beginners, forget to switch off.

What happens in your case, you get flagged but did nothing wrong?

i would hope the algorithm will see there's no unexplainable or weird speeds reached and leaves it be?

Have flagged a couple of obvious cars.
    Assume people, usually beginners, forget to switch off.
    Same here, I live near enough some MTB trails and the top 10 of every segment on the main road is just riders who forget to turn off their GPS. It's annoying when they just ignore the flag though.
    What happens in your case, you get flagged but did nothing wrong?
    Pretty much, I stopped the bike and GPS as I wanted to test myself on the segment. Stopped it straight after. I presume they just flagged without looking. I changed the title so they knew what I was at and removed the flag. I presume it was done by the guy who is now second.

i would hope the algorithm will see there's no unexplainable or weird speeds reached and leaves it be?
    No algorithms involved, all flags are by riders. You flag it, it gets a hold put on it until reviewed by the athlete. Some riders just tick the reviewed bit without editing it even though you can see them hanging about in a car park before hitting north of 100kmph with a HR of 60bpm. If you are pushed you can go further and report to Strava admin but it's alot of faff, I just leave a comment saying their GPS was left on by accident, some fix it, some don't, I'm not wasting anymore time than that on it.

You can only flag a ride once because apparently in the US some people were repeatedly flagging rides just to be an ass, so once an athlete marks it resolved now, that's it unless you go the long route.

oh; i'd always assumed that a flag would be run past an algorithm first.
    that explains why several ones i've flagged were upheld. that's a stupid system.

Ah so it's self regulation?
    Like mb I assumed there was a bit of AI used.

Ah so it's self regulation?
    Like mb I assumed there was a bit of AI used.

They have started using one that auto flags a ride if it looks like the wrong sport, but all it gives you is a warning. I suggested they could do the same for driving etc. but no response.

• Advertisement

Haven't been out yet today but after walking up to the shops and saw loads of cyclists out. Some lovely looking bikes in use incl Cervelo (I think it was an S1) and a few Specialized.
    Weather seems perfect for a spin later.

My sister texted me a short while ago. Recently she was sharing a post on Facebook which was complaining about a two year difficulties in Fairview for building a cycle lane (which isn't true). She has since bought herself a hybrid bike and getting some leisurely use out of it. Following on from my suggestion, her text today confirmed that she had cycled up Howth Head.
    I reckon she has the bug now and although I haven't asked, I reckon her perspective on cycle lanes might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Didn't post last week so for me 12 rides in the last 14 days, 678Km @ 28Kph with 5657Mtrs of up with 5 cups and 1 crown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Headed for the park to do one loop before leaving but it wasn't nearly as busy as I expected.

Started with a quarter loop, then half loop then full loop then left and did cappagh hill and home. 52 km in a bit under 2 hrs.

My cycling of late has been mostly utilitarian, work, shopping, picking things up so good to just belt out 2 uninterrupted hours and doing the park slightly differently helps

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/ggMANo1qbfb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Punctured after 40km then seat post clamp it looks like snapped after 3hrs.

Overall a great day as the weather cleared up after a while to reveal another stunning day.

Just in from a handy hour.
    25k pretty flat.
    Nice breeze out there.

Great to see so many teenagers on bikes.
    It's a positive out of all this ****e.

In last 3 days I've had 4 or 5 fellas on my whee. Only 1 bothered to tell me. This not common courtesy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just try ride them off it. I had the same a few weeks back until I hit a threshold interval & I could hear him blow every time I added a few watts. I did get some sort of sick pleasure from it if I’m being honest.

Haven't had that much myself, it's usually the other way around where I end up on someones wheel. I'd always say hello, great day for it or sorry I don't have the legs to get away from you if come around :p

It would just be weird for me to just sit there and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well I did it. Started in the lockdown in November and then had a crash and was off the bike so resumed on February 21st in this latest lockdown. Over a series of rides I’ve summit every hill in my 5km area that’s doable on a road bike. (There may be one or two short ramps in an estate or something I overlooked but I went up every boharene and all roads both ways where the hill is in the middle) 322.7km with 6385m elevation doing my utmost to not double up any roads. I think there is on the region of 245km of road and 5km of vertical without having doubled over in myself.

Finished today with with 45km and 900m of climbing over Mount Seskin, lugmore, kiltalown, Newtown lane reverse and then up friarstown to military road.

I’m out of hills just before the lockdown lifts so timing is great

549244.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Well I did it. Started in the lockdown in November and then had a crash and was off the bike so resumed on February 21st in this latest lockdown. Over a series of rides I’ve summit every hill in my 5km area that’s doable on a road bike. (There may be one or two short ramps in an estate or something I overlooked but I went up every boharene and all roads both ways where the hill is in the middle) 322.7km with 6385m elevation doing my utmost to not double up any roads. I think there is on the region of 245km of road and 5km of vertical without having doubled over in myself.

Finished today with with 45km and 900m of climbing over Mount Seskin, lugmore, kiltalown, Newtown lane reverse and then up friarstown to military road.

I’m out of hills just before the lockdown lifts so timing is great

549244.jpeg

That's actually quite beautiful, fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

dahat wrote: »
    Just try ride them off it. I had the same a few weeks back until I hit a threshold interval & I could hear him blow every time I added a few watts. I did get some sort of sick pleasure from it if I’m being honest.

Have to say I'm the same myself, If I find somebody sucking my wheel without an introduction I'll generally increase the pace (if I'm able) until I break the elastic but I'm also the other way around as well, if I see someone ahead of me I'll do my best to latch onto their back wheel and then when able introduce myself and do a turn on the front or move on
    But what I really hate and think is quite dangerous behaviour from other cyclists is the sudden breaking then pull over to the side of the road when they find somebody sitting on their back wheel :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement