Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

rushfan wrote: »
    Took the scenic route to work this evening, 33km at 11c when I left. Packed the backpack with extra gear as it's forecast to be 2c at 7am tmrw morning.

And it definitely was cool yesterday morning. Normally when I get home after a night, I'd empty the backpack, and nip around to get the Sunday papers. Not this time, as my toes were more thana tad cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’m out of hills just before the lockdown lifts so timing is great
    now you're just going to have to start again with the county of dublin and a good chunk of north wicklow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But what I really hate and think is quite dangerous behaviour from other cyclists is the sudden breaking then pull over to the side of the road when they find somebody sitting on their back wheel :mad:

Then Don't sit on somebodies wheel. You don't know if their someone out for their first time, or someone out for their 10000th time,

I used to f*cking despise when people do it. I was out on my own for a reason, and didn't want to be having to point out pot holes and stuff for others. Some people just want to be left alone. I've mellowed somewhat, and you wouldn't gain much by being on my wheel anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you might have misread the post, he mentions he'll introduce himself when possible, and take the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Weepsie wrote: »
    Then Don't sit on somebodies wheel. You don't know if their someone out for their first time, or someone out for their 10000th time,

And likewise the cyclist who slams on their brakes doesn't know the skill level of the cyclist following them and might end up regretting braking when they find themselves on the ground
    Either way it's a dick move that could easily be resolved by increasing or decreasing your speed in most cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Got my first 25kms in today and even managed to take on a small local hill with the cold wind in my face, questioned my sanity a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Got my first 25kms in today and even managed to take on a small local hill with the cold wind in my face, questioned my sanity a few times!

Great stuff. When they open up the 20k you've plenty exploring over through kilbride or say head for batterstown. Far fewer cars on little back roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Great stuff. When they open up the 20k you've plenty exploring over through kilbride or say head for batterstown. Far fewer cars on little back roads.
    There are some quiet roads between Maynooth & Kilcock and Summerhill, Batterstown and Dunboyne which are nice and quiet e.g. around Kilcloon. Personally, I hate the long drag between Kilbride and the N3 because it feels so long.

Yep cheers planning on either Maynooth or clontarf direction on Saturday and treat myself to a coffee and cake when I get there. Got back on the old bike today to get it ready to try sell it and it felt absolute horrendous. Tiny and so clunky, thought it was great when I using it!

the R154 from batterstown out towards trim is one of the dullest roads i know to cycle on (not that anyone was suggesting that as an option, to be fair)

Seth - you mean kilbride to ratoath?

• Advertisement

There are some quiet roads between Maynooth & Kilcock and Summerhill, Batterstown and Dunboyne which are nice and quiet e.g. around Kilcloon. Personally, I hate the long drag between Kilbride and the N3 because it feels so long.

Yeah. I was on about the kilcloon area and the small roads between clonee and kilbride and over towards the n2. Plenty variety. Although pretty flat.

20 years ago (showing my age) I used draw silage and grain for 2 or 3 very well-off farmers up that way. So watch out for my modern day equivalent!!

Seth - you mean kilbride to ratoath?
    I did, thanks MB

dunshaughlin-ratoath-kilbride-hollystown is great in a north westerly.

I know it can be quick. I just never liked it.

Anyhow, headed out myself for just over 50km this morning. Figured I'd put on the bib tights and was glad that I did. At one point it started snowing but the big killer was the incessant wind. Still managed a respectable 27.6km/h for it though.

App on the phone says I was doing 50kph at one stage when I was going down a long hill, you lads on the road bikes must get some crazy speeds?

I passed 65km/h a few days ago but i think my top ever was about 75km/h. You need a good hill with smooth surface and good sightlines and a strong wind on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    questioned my sanity a few times!

And you will continue to do so, many, many times. But you'll keep coming back. Great that you're enjoying it, keep it up!

i once passed 60km/h on the flat, but that may have been helped by the 40km/h tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

damn it was cold again today , didnt see a lot of bikes out, hopefully just another week or 2 before it has to warm up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Had a lovely, if cold, 55km, followed by 7km in freezing sleet/hailstones. Boy am I glad I hadn't put the bibtights away for the summer, and the mistral foul weather really is worth every penny I paid for it.

My usual Tallaght, terenure rathmines, city centre, Pheonix Park loop, with an extra bit via Palmerstown, and another half circuit, minus the park.

Breeze today was a curse, very gusty from all directions.

Dropped my pump from my pocket, and 3 cars and a bus avoided it, but just as I got back to it, a fourth managed to go over it. - barsteward!!

However, very enjoyable.

Almost 62 km at 26 kph - https://strava.app.link/jj9q6u9Tefb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The Mistral is a life saver alright - fantastic piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Very cold and windy today. Pretty much full winter kit on, but still on the good bike :)
    The wind helped me to a few PR's on some segments and some dreadful times on others...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The Mistral is a life saver alright - fantastic piece of kit.

:confused:

fryup wrote: »
    :confused:

Galibier Mistral Foul Weather bib tights.
    Keep your knees lovely and warm in this cool weather

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and your willy too?

Well the tights are quite long...
    :D

fryup wrote: »
    and your willy too?

My Willie literally felt like it had been in a freezer when I got home the other day, I didn’t know a body part could get that cold whilst wearing clothes!

52km @ 28.4 on my newly acquired Mavic Ksyrium Elites that I got on here. Happy with them. I'll be happier when the temperature goes up. Still having to wear bib tights :(

52km @ 28.4 on my newly acquired Mavic Ksyrium Elites that I got on here. Happy with them. I'll be happier when the temperature goes up. Still having to wear bib tights :(

Nice wheels. My wife treated me to a set for my birthday last year and I love them.

• Advertisement

My handy day (every second day is!!)
    Nice 1 hour spin about the place. 25km
    Nippley out there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement