Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Managed to get up to 30kms this evening, ended up on some back roads getting a bit dark and raining and that was interesting to say the least. Still havnt really ventured outside my area yet but hopefully going to get a big spin in with my brother on Saturday which is the first time I’ll be out with someone so don’t really know what to expect to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

20 odd km mixed road and gravel ride in north Mayo on the single speed Mtb. Breezy and showery but grand all the same

20 odd km mixed road and gravel ride in north Mayo on the single speed Mtb. Breezy and showery but grand all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

D-Day minus four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

What will new thread title be? Tell us about your county plus 20k cycle? Or is the latter only available to people who live within 20k of their route?

As in, is it the larger of county or 20k from your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

a148pro wrote: »
    What will new thread title be? Tell us about your county plus 20k cycle? Or is the latter only available to people who live within 20k of their route?

The New title should be "Tell us about your solo/socially distanced, fully sanitized, outdoor coffee stop spin" ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the new thread title will actually be a venn diagram. we're currently in fevered negotations with the boiler room lads at boards to be able to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Tell us about your cycle less vaguely than before, with locations and links to strava and without risking a threadban"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

20km from your house plus your whole home county. So if you live more than 20km from any county boundary, it's just the county.

Good news for anyone who lives in Co. Cork near the (say) Kerry boundary; less good if you live in Castlebellingham in the middle of Louth.

(though from looking at Strava, a lot of people are already ignoring the 5km limit)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's actually your home county + 20km from your house, minus (the number of people you pass divided by 100 x the number of houses you pass x 5) x sin 60, to the log of (average speed divided by 10).
    and if you see someone on a titanium frame, or Wishbone Ash, you're legally required to turn around and go home immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Now that I see your bike, I want one like it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Regular spin up to the Hellfire for me with nothing unusual other than a puncture on the way home. Had a quick look at the tyre, Schwalbe G-One allround 40c, and the wear around is pretty severe for a tyre that's had less than a year's actual use. Swapping out for 32c Gravel King semi-slicks so interested to see how they perform by comparison.

CapnHex wrote: »
    Now that I see your bike, I want one like it.

Cheers..yeah she's raw enough but quick enough on road and goes well on anything bar the roughest/softest terrain. £60 5 years ago in Leicester when I lived in the UK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »
    Regular spin up to the Hellfire for me with nothing unusual other than a puncture on the way home. Had a quick look at the tyre, Schwalbe G-One allround 40c, and the wear around is pretty severe for a tyre that's had less than a year's actual use. Swapping out for 32c Gravel King semi-slicks so interested to see how they perform by comparison.

Not a G One but my experience from the Schwalbe One range was they wore through almost instantly. I barely got a month and a half of, admittedly heavy, commuting and it was worn through the casing. Maybe 1200km and that is really exaggerating the usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i have Schwalbe road bike tyres on mine for 2 years now, never let me down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fryup wrote: »
    i have Schwalbe road bike tyres on mine for 2 years now, never let me down

Don't get me wrong, I have Marathons on another bike and I'd say they will outlive me, I just found the One range pretty poor, grip, speed and wear were far worse than any other race tyre I have ever had. One skid stop shredded one of them. Maybe I am just unlucky though.

Right conditions for a KOM attempt near my house this evening. Very steep climb. Was flying and ahead of schedule on the live segment when I got to near the top of the climb and there were two ladies walking their dogs at either side of the road. Dogs on leads but the dogs were in the middle of the road. Road blocked about 20 metres from the end and no choice but to stop. Heartbreaking!

Thankfully I dusted myself down and managed a much quieter KOM but gutting to miss the KOM on the climb I had really psyched myself up for. Ah well!

Bit of a disaster with the new bike, just realised the shop gave me the wrong one! I never even checked or copped it when I collected it, they gave me the basic model and not the bells and whistles higher spec one I had paid for. Just one of those mistakes that’s nobody’s fault but a right pain now to try sort it as they don’t have anything in stock or even en route and it’s gonna be a minimum 4 week wait for the correct one, the real kick in the nuts is they want the wrong bike back immediately before it gets damaged and that leaves me with no fancy new bike.

who copped on you or the shop??

who copped on you or the shop??

I only copped it last night after a cycle when I noticed it had v brakes rather than the disc brakes I should have had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's a pretty big difference!

CianRyan wrote: »
    That's a pretty big difference!

I’m a newbie so that’s my excuse! Don’t know what the shops excuse is. I honestly never thought to check it in my excitement at getting a shiny new toy

maybe they hoodwinked you??

maybe they hoodwinked you??

Possibly but I’d like to think it was an honest mistake, same name make and model on both bikes, just different spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

smacl wrote: »

I've had a few sets of G one speed and all round in tubeless and 35mm.

The only downside is wear rate, but I still buy them.

Currently have WTB Riddler in 37, really nice tyre. They have a great range of tyres.

The Riddler went on rims with a track pump and no suds. The G One's were really easy to but not that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Headed out for a spin....puncture after 10 mins. Had to phone home (zip on saddle bag broke so no spare tyre with me) and finished my cycle on TT. At least I was able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

retalivity wrote: »
    "Tell us about your cycle less vaguely than before, with locations and links to strava and without risking a threadban"

"Tell us about your actual fcking cycle today?"

Shall I just start banging on about intercounty cycling being banned now?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Eamonnator wrote: »
    D-Day minus four.

Can't wait. Can't believe I'm actually going to see exotic places I've only ever heard about or seen in brochures. Places like Rathnew, Ashford, Newtownmountkennedy.... and Annamoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Can't wait. Can't believe I'm actually going to see exotic places I've only ever heard about or seen in brochures. Places like Rathnew, Ashford, Newtownmountkennedy.... and Annamoe

I'm the same, it's nearly 4 months now since I've seen the next village, will be like a foreign holiday. I can't wait to stretch the legs and might book Monday off if weather is decent.

• Advertisement

i will finally reacquaint myself with actual hills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement