Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

i will finally reacquaint myself with actual hills.

And I will finally reacquaint myself with actual flats

(not sure the hips and lower back could do much more of this climbing malarkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Can't wait. Can't believe I'm actually going to see exotic places I've only ever heard about or seen in brochures. Places like Rathnew, Ashford, Newtownmountkennedy.... and Annamoe

And Dunlavin, don't forget Dunlavin.

And I will finally reacquaint myself with actual flats

(not sure the hips and lower back could do much more of this climbing malarkey)

Same boat as you. Did 40k with 700 up yesterday. Not a flat road anywhere near me. I look forward to a flat 100k tester on a calm day to see where the legs are at and to get the average speed up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've had a few sets of G one speed and all round in tubeless and 35mm.

The only downside is wear rate, but I still buy them.

Currently have WTB Riddler in 37, really nice tyre. They have a great range of tyres.

The Riddler went on rims with a track pump and no suds. The G One's were really easy to but not that easy

I found the G One All round to be a comfortable and responsive tyre, just surprised at the wear rate coming from Marathon Supremes which lasted very well. Put some 32c Gravel King semi-slicks on last night which went on surprisingly easy and will be interested to see how they fare. Also have some 43c Gravel king knobblies as another option. Plan is to have a spare set of wheels with more road or off-road oriented tyres that I can pick on the morning of the ride. Not on tubeless yet but really need to look at them next.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Jaysus that was cold out there today, lashed out of it with hailstones around Cruagh and one of those days where the climbing was easier than the descending. Gravel kings felt a bit faster than the G-Ones and took about 10 seconds off my PB going up Cruagh. Cut the spin shorter than planned and arrived in like a drowned rat but on the plus side, the bike is sparkling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

City centre and phoenix park, was a nice morning i was back before 10 but had gloves on most of the route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

Right on the edge of my 5km perimeter today when the heavens opened and huge hailstones started to bucket down. Spent most of the 7km home with a headwind lashing hailstones painfully into my face, whilst the rapidly flooding roads were throwing ice cold water onto my ass which rapidly became completely numb (a strange feeling!). Was very glad to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

griffin100 wrote: »
    Right on the edge of my 5km perimeter today when the heavens opened and huge hailstones started to bucket down. Spent most of the 7km home with a headwind lashing hailstones painfully into my face, whilst the rapidly flooding roads were throwing ice cold water onto my ass which rapidly became completely numb (a strange feeling!). Was very glad to get home.

I was out for an hour an flukily dodged every shower. Kept arriving onto soaking wet roads. Never had a drop of rain / hail

I was out for an hour an flukily dodged every shower. Kept arriving onto soaking wet roads. Never had a drop of rain / hail

I remember about 10 years ago driving between Duleek and Kilmoon cross and going in and out of some serious downpours with the roads bone dry between the rain and hail sections. Quite a surreal experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went for a KOM that I thought I missed so done it a second time where my GoPro fell off half way, spent 20 minutes looking for all the parts before trying a third time.
    Turns out I got it the first time, beat it the last time and that the 3M mounts for Go Pros are just not up to the task of Irish backroads. I then went home after a near miss that I am pretty sure was at least 50/50 (if not more my fault than theirs) as we were both dodging poor road surfaces.

• Advertisement

Looking for a new route to take on in Dublin (largely city centre)
    The route i use is fairly pothole free, dorset street - phoenix park - quays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Got out for a swift 25km around cork airport this morning. The northerly wind was BITTER!

25kph, with a few hills thrown in. Will build up the distance big time next few weeks now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Looking for a new route to take on in Dublin (largely city centre)
    The route i use is fairly pothole free, dorset street - phoenix park - quays
    out to howth would be one of the obvious suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Trip around a few summer roads I use today to see freshly laid tarmac which means a coating of that horrible chip stone to come.

Damn Council!

A pretty test & raw day with a north wind hit great to be out and about with some extra freedom to come.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

64km with 400m of climbing at an average of 28km/h which I'm happy with. Arranged to meet the Mrs on my way back and we walked to the local village for a take-away coffee, which was nice.
    The wind was funny. Whilst not particularly strong, it was a tailwind one minute and then would turn into a headwind without me changing direction.
    Whilst ut wasnt particularly cold, my feet were numb despite thermal socks and toe covers. Is this what its like as you get older?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Are all you guys averages done with auto pause or without auto pause on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was a definite bite to the wind when i was out; and it had changed direction too; was a pure northerly in early afternoon but had swung probably ENE by the time i was out on the bike (going by the windsock at the airport, strava is reporting NE)

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Are all you guys averages done with auto pause or without auto pause on?
    i have auto pause on, on my garmin. strava also applies auto pause, but i think this can differ based on whether you record directly into strava, or via an external GPS device. strava and garmin calculate it differently; strava will usually report a slower average speed than my garmin will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I had a disaster.
    Thought I had enough layers. Nope!!

Had to abandon ship. Went out at dusk. The loss of sun and the hail left me so cold I was struggling to concentrate or pull the brakes.

I'd have loved to see what my core temp was.
    But my resting heart rate was in the 30s. Which is about 10 low for me.

Jez I took the bike to Aldi around 8:30pm in jeans and a jumper and jacket and I was cursing forgetting my gloves, you must have been bloody rattling with the cold. There was a serious bite to the wind on my face/hands and that was only a 3km round trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

65km, 500m, avg 26.7kph bitter cold northerly and was caught in a hail shower which passed quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A day late reporting my last Lockdown 3 ride in the Phoenix Park. That's 33 spins there since New Year's Day, 2270km, 87hrs and about 280 photos, many of which ended up on Strava.
    On my Cannondale with 28mm tyres so explored most of the off-road trails for a change. Enjoyable in winter gear until about midday when a lengthy hail shower dropped the temperature to about 4 degrees. Happy enough to bail out a bit early and looking forward to heading to the hills next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

The hills are going to be busy next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Hills all around me and haven't been near them until now due to about 6 months of medical tests. Finally finished and am on meds. Can get back to climbing and increasing the intensity. But not really looking forward to the pain :)

out to howth would be one of the obvious suggestions.

Yeah its a nice cycle, ive done the harvour but not the hill id be more likely to go southside for the hills. The poolbeg lighthouse is a decent scenic trip if your not from there..
    Think ill just get out and see were my instinct leaves me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wrap up well its like deepest winter out there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A day late reporting my last Lockdown 3 ride in the Phoenix Park. That's 33 spins there since New Year's Day, 2270km, 87hrs and about 280 photos, many of which ended up on Strava.
    On my Cannondale with 28mm tyres so explored most of the off-road trails for a change. Enjoyable in winter gear until about midday when a lengthy hail shower dropped the temperature to about 4 degrees. Happy enough to bail out a bit early and looking forward to heading to the hills next week.

I think I must have seen you more than any one else in the park. We were always going in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Post night shift pick-me-up 48km spin in the afternoon. It was cool enough alright, though I would have stayed out longer if it was'nt for the rugby.

Took a route that lead me out past Dun Laoighre a zig zag through Dalkey left me with the Killiney Hill climb with the added addition of Hailstones nearing the top

Nice route but the villages can cause a lot of stop starting and limiting pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Lovely day for a spin.

A cheeky 20+ km loop on the MTB with only 450m of climbing, almost all within the 5km too.

Trails were bone dry so caned it on the descents - trying to get more confident on the jumps and I think I'm getting there.

I should really practice on the ramps the kids in the estate have built but it would be so embarrassing in front of all the neighbours as I fall with the grace of a sack of spuds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement