Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fair play to all those who stuck to the 5km rule, I lasted so long but gave up on it eventually.

Tomorrow will we have a new thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, got out for the last of my 5km spins; definite wintry feel in the air today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dahat wrote: »
    Fair play to all those who stuck to the 5km rule, I lasted so long but gave up on it eventually.

Tomorrow will we have a new thread?

Same, grand up until last weekend and then started drifting out of the zone a bit. Looking forward to getting back to the Military road next week and maybe out to the GAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kilmessan, Co. Meath, is to my mind a pretty unremarkable village. It has a school, a hotel a barbers, a supermarket, a church and a couple of pubs. Pre-Covid It featured regularly on my Sunday morning chaingang route. I used regularly take it in on my mid week solo spins. But to be honest, I have never taken much heed to it. It was just someplace, I cycled through. I think, I stopped in it once for a Lucozade Sport.
    For the last few weeks, Kilmessan has taken on a new significance for me. I have been fantasising about it, and tomorrow, come hell or high water, I am going to cycle to Kilmessan. It'll be part of a 70km spin, taken without loops and well outside my 5km limit.
    I am so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd have loved to see what my core temp was.
    But my resting heart rate was in the 30s. Which is about 10 low for me.

Probably about the same as when you went out.

The system which regulates body heat makes us sensitive to changes in body temperature at certain points, feet, fingers etc which is designed to motivate us to do something about it.

At the same time the system will do what it can to restrict heat loss; stop sending heat to extremities, trap a layer of air near skin etc

It will also fire up brown fat to generate heat.

The last resort is shivering which generates heat by muscle contractions.

All of this is to protect core temperature, which doesn't change much.

When Lewis Pugh was doing his 1mile swim is sub zero artic water in his togs his core temperature went up. It dropped afterwards when he was in a warm environment. (He's an extreme example though, his core temperature used go up when he saw the sea, his body's system had got so trained it got ready for the cold event which was coming)

If you get really cold, having a hot shower is probably the worst thing you can do. Your body will sense warm water and can release heat from core too quickly leading to a core temperature drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I had a disaster.
    Thought I had enough layers. Nope!!

Had to abandon ship. Went out at dusk. The loss of sun and the hail left me so cold I was struggling to concentrate or pull the brakes.

I'd have loved to see what my core temp was.
    But my resting heart rate was in the 30s. Which is about 10 low for me.

I've been in bed all day.
    This may be a bit more sinister.
    As a kayaker of about 20 years it would be highly unusual for me to get my layering wrong.

Ringing for a test now.
    No other symptoms but getting up now to order a takeaway and don't feel like putting in the effort to walk the stairs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've been in bed all day.
    This may be a bit more sinister.
    As a kayaker of about 20 years it would be highly unusual for me to get my layering wrong.
    Having instructed groups of beginners for many of those years I'm well used to the signs of people getting cold and when to intervene.

Ringing for a test now.
    No other symptoms but getting up now to order a takeaway and don't feel like putting in the effort to walk the stairs.

Best of luck, if its negative though, don't hesitate to ring the GP to go in for a proper check up, those sudden ups and downs in temps, whatever the cause are open season for some issues to crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, I stuck to the 5km rule. I met a few who didn't and some quite open about it. Not worth the argument with those folk — in one ear and out the other.

Anyway, its done now. Will report on Tuesday or Wednesday on my adventures around the mighty County Kildare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I stuck to it but I won't denigrate anyone who didn't, there is so much going on with people, even if it appears nothing is going on. So long as they aren't meeting up in big groups for indoor coffees, I am just ignoring it. The rules are there for a reason and those reasons are incredibly nuanced and trying to explain why you are for or against them means, like most, the point of them has probably been missed.

The last week I narrowed it down to about 2km from my house and trying to clear out as many Strava KOMs as possible, I seem to have a lot of "draws", which isn't a win to me, which I am really annoyed about. One also got taken back today by 2 seconds. Deciding is it worth the effort now the restrictions are lifted to go after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the weather is trying my patience, northerly winds again, a dusting of snow but then its ok when full sun and right kind of shelter from the wind

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭rolling boh

20k will increase options hugely but what i have seen around Dunboyne area plenty already in that zone but doing no harm mostly solo only recently noticed some bigger groups on the good days .

Had a week off work and did 350k in total, mostly as close as I could to home, and nearly all very hilly, but have to admit I started drifting alot this week.

86k at 27.6kph with 900 climbing this morning but the legs were fairly shot by the end. My biggest ever week on a bike and will hope to build on it by getting out on weeknights from this week on as the light is good.

Well done to those who did manage to stick to the 5k for the duration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll be back to my routine of chucking the bike in the boot and driving my wife out to the stables where her horse is, and reacquainting myself with the roads around garristown/oldtown/the naul etc., while she's working with the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Over the 12 months my own personal strictness of adherence, which was unquestioning and absolute for the vast majority of the time, did wane over time and particularly in the last month. The arguments have been made a million times but there's no doubting that if outdoor isolation represents a minimising, if not elimination, of risk then I'm confident my transgressions were of a zero-covid nature.

I do wonder whether or not the new 20km limits will be policed at all. There's only so far you can get from your home as the crow flies in a normal loop/circular cycle. The likes of the gap roads for example, if your 20k gets you to glenmacnass, are you going to pull the brakes and u-turn at 19.999km, or just carry on to the Laragh junction and go left or right to complete a loop for home. Letter or spirit of law I guess.

Anyway, glad to see the back of the 5km thing, may we never be subjected to it again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Tick Tick Tick .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out today for one last hurrah within 5km, hopefully Tuesday sees me up over pine forest , Johnny foxes, and other such delights.
    33km at 25 kph, the usual route with a lap of the park thrown in, t'was fairly fold out there today, with a constant breeze.

My legs feel like I cycled 100km, dont know what thats all about, hopefully have more in the tank for Tuesday

https://strava.app.link/BoBMT8dDnfb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Kilmessan, Co. Meath, is to my mind a pretty unremarkable village. It has a school, a hotel a barbers, a supermarket, a church and a couple of pubs. Pre-Covid It featured regularly on my Sunday morning chaingang route. I used regularly take it in on my mid week solo spins. But to be honest, I have never taken much heed to it. It was just someplace, I cycled through. I think, I stopped in it once for a Lucozade Sport.
    For the last few weeks, Kilmessan has taken on a new significance for me. I have been fantasising about it, and tomorrow, come hell or high water, I am going to cycle to Kilmessan. It'll be part of a 70km spin, taken without loops and well outside my 5km limit.
    I am so looking forward to it.

I feel the very same about Garristown in North County Dublin. Can't wait for the long drag up to it. Might even stop in the petrol station to celebrate. Sick of the Phoenix Park etc at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

De Bhál wrote: »
    I feel the very same about Garristown in North County Dublin. .

ditto

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Working the weekend but snuck out for 35k for me yesterday in glorious sunshine, hail, wind, rain, and then flat calm all in the space of an hour and a half. The main climate control unit is definitely on the blink. Hopefully take a different road as over lunch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I feel the very same about Garristown in North County Dublin. Can't wait for the long drag up to it. Might even stop in the petrol station to celebrate. Sick of the Phoenix Park etc at this stage.

I’m the opposite! Can’t wait to see the back of North County Dublin!

• Advertisement

garristown
    De Bhál wrote: »
    Garristown
    ditto
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    I’m the opposite! Can’t wait to see the back of North County Dublin!

549900.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To go to north county dublin, I'll still have to pass airport which is annoying, but I avoided it more and more as the restrictions went on.

Looking forward to slogging up Cruagh more than ever

what do people tend do if they live near Balbriggan and want to head up into the Dublin mountains or longer Wicklow rides? sometimes pop the bike in the car and start closer?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yep. Get up early. stick the bike in the car and drive to Roundwood. Plenty of parking and from there you have lots of options.

or if you want to tax your legs, bellewstown is well within 20km from balbriggan, set yourself a task of doing all seven (i think seven anyway) climbs up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep. Get up early. stick the bike in the car and drive to Roundwood. Plenty of parking and from there you have lots of options.

Well if sticking to the new rules maybe drive to the Dublin side of the mountains. Firhouse or somewhere

oddly never thought of doing that, some nice loops from down that way without needing to get into triple digit rides

Well if sticking to the new rules maybe drive to the Dublin side of the mountains. Firhouse or somewhere

at the moment somewhere like Clonskeagh is a good starting point, less than 30min and you are well past Marley, Stepaside etc.

Agreed. If living in Balbriggan, cycling in Wicklow is not allowed. That's a decision for the OP to make.

• Advertisement

Agreed. If living in Balbriggan, cycling in Wicklow is not allowed. That's a decision for the OP to make.

I live in D4, so Dublin mountains are grand at the moment, I was just thinking of some "poor Bastard" far out North DUblin way, I would hate to have a long tail at the end of a ride. It nice to hit somewhere like Dundrum on the way back and know its just a 20min downhill home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement