Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Done a quick 30 up to blessington and back. Roads are pretty bad.I had planned on doing the lake drive but too many shiny surfaces for my liking.but that was early mite clear up . 0 degrees in tallaght brrr .had galibier mistral on with Base layer . Should of wore a jersey aswell could still feel the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

jober wrote: »
    Done a quick 30 up to blessington and back. Roads are pretty bad.I had planned on doing the lake drive but too many shiny surfaces for my liking.but that was early mite clear up . 0 degrees in tallaght brrr .had galibier mistral on with Base layer . Should of wore a jersey aswell could still feel the cold

Combination of this and time clashes meant I had to postpone my exploration of the Sally Gap. Hope to try something different tomorrow if the roads are a bit less icy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 80km this morning. Lots of frost on the roads so was taking it easy. Got to Lucan and head home as it was bad out there.

Got home. Wife wasn't there which surprised me. She got all her wisdom teeth out yesterday and thought she would be resting at home.

Rang her to see where she was. Out shopping! Said she was grand. Took a pain killer just before she left.

Got a call 5 mins later. She was feeling faint could I come collect her. Had the bike rack in the car so did another 10km.

Moral of the story: All ways leave your bike rack in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Combination of this and time clashes meant I had to postpone my exploration of the Sally Gap. Hope to try something different tomorrow if the roads are a bit less icy.

Of all the times in the year to go exploring Sally Gap, this wouldn't be the time! Unless you did a reccy first in the car, or you had snow/ice tyres. It would generally be ok in the afternoon. but not early morning.

Anyways.. back to servicing bikes for me as I woke up on Tuesday morning with savage lower back pain. Been off the bike since and doing exercises the Physio gave me :(

I'm thinking I have to re-think how MTB SPD, affect Saddle height/fit etc compared to road shoes/pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

I'd leave Sally till about Feb to be honest. Viewing point was treacherous this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sally should be off limits until March, really unless there's an unusual thaw; February is often when you get the worst snow and frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Chuchote wrote: »
    Sally should be off limits until March, really unless there's an unusual thaw; February is often when you get the worst snow and frost.

I was up there last Tuesday and condition were perfect. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

tuxy wrote: »
    I was up there last Tuesday and condition were perfect. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near it this morning.

That was my hope, I know its getting late in the year to be up there so was hoping the weather would hold out to the weekend because I know if I don't get up soon I wont be up until the spring and I reckon I missed the chance now. Saw pictures from up there today from a cyclist I know and it put me off the idea even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chuchote wrote: »
    That's overkill IMO.

90% of the time in winter the roads there are fine.

tuxy wrote: »

Two people went up today via Military road according to Strava!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Frosty here this morning so waited till afternoon. Headed for killenagh , down coast road to Courtown, Ballymoney, Castletown and left turn out to main road towards Inch and on to Gorey. Took left turn at Gorey for Courtown . Back on coast road to Ballygarrett, killenagh and home.

59 km Avg 25.5kph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That's overkill IMO.

90% of the time in winter the roads there are fine.

Agreed. It is weather dependant, rather that it's "winter"

I live at the bottom of Hellfire/Stocking and when it is cold a quick spin up in the car lets me (and devonp :)) know if it's grand or not.

The Featherbeds/Sally Gap in general have their own climate.

It's basically a judgment call on the day/weather rather than avoiding it until Spring.

But I'd advise better safe than sorry! I know a fella who had a serious hip injury and a series of operations due to a small patch of ice :/

It's not worth the risk if you have any doubts, there will be plenty of good days to go cycling or low lying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ah lads North County Dublin was a dream today. Absolutely perfect conditions for a spin in the afternoon. My most enjoyable day on the bike all year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ah lads North County Dublin was a dream today. Absolutely perfect conditions for a spin in the afternoon. My most enjoyable day on the bike all year.

2 1/2 very pleasant (if cold) hours with a clubmate going up and down some of the hills in NCD and south Meath

NCD is a truly beautiful and under rated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RobFowl wrote: »

NCD is a truly beautiful and under rated area.

I totally agree. I'm a fan of Wicklow but I went on a few spins to NCD earlier this year. Stunning - Dublin but countryside. So much to offer from beautiful green fields to stunning coastline - Loughshinny and Rush for example. From Dublin Airport out by Naul is amazing.

I have the opposite problem to those from NCD who wish that the Wicklow Mountains were closer. The other man's grass is always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Agreed. It is weather dependant, rather that it's "winter"

I live at the bottom of Hellfire/Stocking and when it is cold a quick spin up in the car lets me (and devonp :)) know if it's grand or not.

The Featherbeds/Sally Gap in general have their own climate.

It's basically a judgment call on the day/weather rather than avoiding it until Spring.

But I'd advise better safe than sorry! I know a fella who had a serious hip injury and a series of operations due to a small patch of ice :/

It's not worth the risk if you have any doubts, there will be plenty of good days to go cycling or low lying areas.

last winter there were barely 3 weekends where it was off-limits. Of course this will vary depending on the kind of winter we're due (according to the weather forum here, we're due a cold run up to christmas, but it should start to get milder afterwards). One year it was pretty much closed until around paddy's day.

I wouldn't be going up there (or anywhere) on a day like today, but I wouldn't ever be ruling out going up for the entire winter

Currently keeping an eye on Strava segments to see if people have ventured out today:pac:

Went out in the end..Met about 10 cyclists up around Cruagh.. Bloody cold out. No real ice except nearer the top where there was a patch or two of black ice. Easy enough to spot going up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Cooooold spin along Royal and Grand canals early this morning on the mountain bike. Really beautiful out, autumnal leaves, frost , sunrise - ticked all the boxes :-P

https://www.strava.com/activities/780491217

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1bryan wrote: »
    (according to the weather forum here, we're due a cold run up to christmas, but it should start to get milder afterwards).
    i'm always extremely sceptical of long range weather forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

i'm always extremely sceptical of long range weather forecasts.

tumblr_o78ffodysS1rc2lkjo1_500.png

tumblr_lutp6eKqY51r33rbuo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Beautiful morning but savage cold and got colder as we went on, not a day for cheap gear either. Well wrapped up and felt comfy the whole way.

We had only one incident where one of the boys came down on the hairpin bend coming into Carrick, front brake lever destroyed, expensive fall but he was OK.

94.97km at just over 28km avg and 680 odd of up.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

70k around NCD early this morn. As RobFowl said some beautiful routes around, but bitterly cold, making it tough to enjoy it later on.

The water in my bidon actually froze so knew it was time to head home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i waited till this afternoon before heading out - still poxy cold, and the fog that descended on the way home didn't help. just 46k - glasnevin - howth - malahide and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well the Sally Gap is out of bounds for the next few days anyway...

https://www.facebook.com/DWMRT/posts/10154524300895590

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got myself a smart trainer. Took me an age to set up (but that may have been my own fault!) and only had time for a 20 min spin.

The forecast for the week is bad so my do a proper road test this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

i waited till this afternoon before heading out - still poxy cold, and the fog that descended on the way home didn't help. just 46k - glasnevin - howth - malahide and home.

That fog warning is in place now until 8am tomorrow morning, I normally leave the house at 7.30 on the bike to commute to work - any advice from the experienced folks here? Is it okay to cycle or best not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Got out at 10:30 this morning, probably about 3 degrees all morning. Up to killenagh, on to the coast road to Courtown, Ballymoney, skipped turn for Castletown and went straigh which brings you on a loop around base of Tara hill, eventually coming back on to Gorey to Courtown road, took left and back to courtown, headed to ballygarret, took first right for killenagh and home. 50 km at a very leisurely 23kph. Plenty of little drags around Tara hill loop.
    Lovely crisp morning around rural north county wexford :)

That fog warning is in place now until 8am tomorrow morning, I normally leave the house at 7.30 on the bike to commute to work - any advice from the experienced folks here? Is it okay to cycle or best not?
    you may not have the same problem i do - i've a bit of a beard, and the fog tends to condense in it, making my face wet and that bit colder.
    fog itself should not be an issue apart from obvious visibility issues; i'd say in the morning, the surface conditions will be your main issue.
    i managed to spin my back wheel on road markings earlier trying to take off from lights, and it wasn't even frosty - beware of those in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

you may not have the same problem i do - i've a bit of a beard, and the fog tends to condense in it, making my face wet and that bit colder.
    fog itself should not be an issue apart from obvious visibility issues; i'd say in the morning, the surface conditions will be your main issue.
    i managed to spin my back wheel on road markings earlier trying to take off from lights, and it wasn't even frosty - beware of those in the morning.

https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/

These are fantastic for the cold mornings, plus it brings a whole new meaning to the term "ninja cyclist".

They take about a month to be shipped though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement