Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

P_1 wrote: »
    https://safishing.com/product-category/face-shield/

These are fantastic for the cold mornings, plus it brings a whole new meaning to the term "ninja cyclist".

They take about a month to be shipped though.

You definitely wouldn't get any arguments from drivers in this

Salt-Armour-30.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even before i saw who had posted that, i had read it and thought 'that'd be brilliant for chucote'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Down home for the weekend, got out with the local club for a spin. Very relaxed pace around the foothills of the Ox Mountains. It was a lovely morning and the ice was mostly melted but the slow pace wasn't great for getting the toes and fingers warm. The group was about half beginners or returning after a long time out. After about 35 km we split in two with the novices heading back to the start and stronger cyclists pushing on for another 30 odd at a higher pace which warmed us up nicely.
    Finished up with 76km @26kmh and made it in the door of the house just as the sleet started falling.
    Lough Talt- Swinford- Charlestown- Caracastle- Curry- Lough Talt

https://www.strava.com/activities/780774144

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Stopped at a red light this morning. Another cyclist ran through the red. A pedestrian started screaming and ranting at me 'f'ing cyclists, f'ing red lights apply to f'ing you as well' right up in my face, all agro. Shouting at the person waiting for the green light - absolute idiot. I was kind of shocked and it put me in bad form for a while. I've had my porridge now though so I'm much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

you may not have the same problem i do - i've a bit of a beard, and the fog tends to condense in it, making my face wet and that bit colder.
    fog itself should not be an issue apart from obvious visibility issues; i'd say in the morning, the surface conditions will be your main issue.
    i managed to spin my back wheel on road markings earlier trying to take off from lights, and it wasn't even frosty - beware of those in the morning.

Ha ha no, no beard :D You were right, no fog but frost and ice everywhere, considered getting the train but persevered, took it very handy and survived, I thought I'd get to January before this kind of weather affected the commute though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Stopped at a red light this morning. Another cyclist ran through the red. A pedestrian started screaming and ranting at me 'f'ing cyclists, f'ing red lights apply to f'ing you as well' right up in my face, all agro. Shouting at the person waiting for the green light - absolute idiot. I was kind of shocked and it put me in bad form for a while. I've had my porridge now though so I'm much better now.

Just smile and advise them you've noted their concerns and that you'll bring it up at the weekly meeting that all cyclists in the country are obliged to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Just smile and advise them you've noted their concerns and that you'll bring it up at the weekly meeting that all cyclists in the country are obliged to attend.

A massive Boards Cycling forum ... Beers Night Meet up ....sounds like a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

A quick spin down the coast road and around the Hill of Howth. 23km at an average 25kph.

Got blasted by a council grit truck, which kinda hurt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Gave Zwift a proper go this morning. Just over an hour on it. Kicked my ass. Constant effort for an hour.

I''m a sweaty mess now but enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

godtabh wrote: »
    Got myself a smart trainer. Took me an age to set up (but that may have been my own fault!) and only had time for a 20 min spin.

The forecast for the week is bad so my do a proper road test this week.
    here's your brother, will be setting up my turbo on Saturday nite for early Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you guys setting them up on concrete or wooden floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

are you guys setting them up on concrete or wooden floors?

I have the turbo set up on those foam mats that go together like a jigsaw. They are on carpet. Don't find any issue with it and the carpet doesn't get wrecked either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Set up on a foam exercise mat on a wooden floor. Seems to be very little movement at high wattage.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    here's your brother, will be setting up my turbo on Saturday nite for early Sunday.

Very few Europeans out early morning. Lots of Oz/Kiwis and Yanks. Should be easy to find the irish flag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Constant effort for an hour.

I''m a sweaty mess now but enjoyed it.

Sounds like CX minus mud.

I have the turbo set up on those foam mats that go together like a jigsaw. They are on carpet. Don't find any issue with it and the carpet doesn't get wrecked either.
    i was wondering more about the floor structure - i.e. does a wooden floor transmit much noise when you're using a turbo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Commuting this morning was cold and slippy in places. On arrival in work I was greeted by freezing cold showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Have started cycling along the canal, I've moved recently.

It's really frustrating the amount of people who jump to the top of the queue at traffic lights but are then slow as hell.
    I had to over take one girl 4 times this morning.
    Is there no etiquette on this route? I've never had this experienced before.

Diemos wrote: »

It's really frustrating the amount of people who jump to the top of the queue at traffic lights but are then slow as hell.

It's the same every morning. This morning a lady I'd overtaken went to the front of the queue, actually blocked me and when the lights went green she wasn't ready to go because she was texting. No point getting frustrated though because that won't change anything. I go onto the canal at Blackhorse and come off at Ranelagh and it happens the whole way along

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This happens everywhere. Honestly you're better off just biting your tongue, no use talking to people that do this.

Was frozen this morning, I have been wearing my Aldi winter jacket that I picked up last year. It's actually a pretty nice one, and keeps me relatively warm. My main issue now is my hands; my knuckles have gone really dry and are cracking, I reckon due to the cold but I'm not too sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yep happens to me all the time too from the PP down the quays. I used to stop 'in line' when I started commuting. I don't bother now...

The roads weren't as bad this morning as Monday at least even though it was bitterly cold.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've been riding that route for years and it's always been that way. It's incredibly irritating when you have to drop the same person two or three times. I've gotten pretty good at overtaking these slow-coaches now and can easily zip past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If there was room for cars to pass other cars at lights they would too. It just seems to be human nature that they have to get to the top of the queue first regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Is this perhaps due to the fact that Irish people have never really copped on to the purpose of queueing? Eastern Europeans get particularly crazy about this, because in their countries it's first come first served, and once you're in a queue you wait politely for your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

OK, thanks for the replies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh fell off because i'm a knob-head. Was about 2 minutes away from my house this morning after leaving for work and thought I might have forgotten my phone. There was an on-path cycle track beside me with a really low curb so I decided to pull in and stop. I pulled in, didn't lift my front wheel for some silly reason, the bike went along the curb, and I went tumbling off onto the cycle track. Felt like a right bell-end. A few scratches and a sore shoulder and hip for my silliness. Ugh.

Leaving the house at 5.30 this morning, stuck on the cycling gear then wimped out and took the car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Got a new set of lights today and took them out for a test spin. Both Bull Walls in a nice 29km loop. 200 lumens are fantastic things to have.

https://www.strava.com/activities/785292213

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It's the little things in life... and this is one of them :)

I only noticed today but I somehow managed to pass 20,000 KM since I started cycling in 2013.

20,000km!

Considering this was me when I started in 2013, I think I am allowed to be slightly chuffed!

I didn't have the best few weeks on the bike of late, there seemed to be a strange correlation between doing something nice for crosstownK and getting sick the next day.

Suffice is to say this Monday I didn't have anything to drop off at his gaff and I managed to commute in and out of work OK :)

90km done this week and feeling very much over my commuting/cycling PTSD, which is cool :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

It's the little things in life... and this is one of them :)

I only noticed today but I somehow managed to pass 20,000 KM since I started cycling in 2013.

20,000km!

Considering this was me when I started in 2013, I think I am allowed to be slightly chuffed!

I didn't have the best few weeks on the bike of late, there seemed to be a strange correlation between doing something nice for crosstownK and getting sick the next day.

Suffice is to say this Monday I didn't have anything to drop off at his gaff and I managed to commute in and out of work OK :)

90km done this week and feeling very much over my commuting/cycling PTSD, which is cool :o

Did you ever manage to quit smoking or get the numbers down from 40 a day , just curious .
    Well done on 20k km milestone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement