Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Haven't been able to commute this week as needed to take stuff into and out of work. Was up early to sort a work pass out so got out for a quick 20km after that, Skerries - Balrothery - Balbriggan - home. I could have killed two birds with one stone and cycled to work to do the pass, but wasn't keen on locking up my good bike and didn't want to ride my commuter. I did get a first try of my new Sorpasso bib tights and Alpha jacket and am very impressed. Toasty warm spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

secman wrote: »
    Did you ever manage to quit smoking or get the numbers down from 40 a day , just curious .
    Well done on 20k km milestone.

Cheers, but nope I never did.

I think it is locked into my dna/puberty as I started really young. Such is life.

Really wrecks my head seeing young teens smoking in this day and age though. All we had was some crap about Superman and Nick O'Tine

If I was hiring people these days and they were young, I wouldn't hire a smoker, due to them being stupid.

They might as well set fire to a ten euro note, daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I didn't have the best few weeks on the bike of late, there seemed to be a strange correlation between doing something nice for crosstownK and getting sick the next day.

Suffice is to say this Monday I didn't have anything to drop off at his gaff and I managed to commute in and out of work OK :)

Jeezus, man. Why didn't you drop a spare tube to my gaff this morning? :D

I got two punctures on my way to work today. The front went flat at Harolds Cross. I replaced the tube at the bus stop just before the bridge and the lad in Delaney's bike shop lent me a track pump to get the pressure up. Fair play to Delaney's as my Aldi mini pump only gets to 3 or 4 bar before my arm feels like that of a 16 year old with a magazine in hand.

Then at Santry the front felt vague and when I stopped at the lights at Northwood, I felt the tyre and it was soft. I cycled on and got to Airside on very low pressure - I just about made it. I could feel the rim on the ground as I pulled in to work.

At lunch time I patched both tubes. I noticed that both punctures were the same distance from the valve so I inspected the tyre again. In my haste and in the relative darkness at Harolds Cross, I had missed the shard of glass that was embedded in the tyre despite checking at the time.

I fitted the patched tube to the front wheel and walked to Eurocycles where the lads there let me use their track pump.

I really need to invest in CO2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cheers, but nope I never did.

I think it is locked into my dna/puberty as I started really young. Such is life.

Really wrecks my head seeing young teens smoking in this day and age though. All we had was some crap about Superman and Nick O'Tine

If I was hiring people these days and they were young, I wouldn't hire a smoker, due to them being stupid.

They might as well set fire to a ten euro note, daily.

Just mentioning… my father started smoking at 13, as working-class boys did in those days, and was smoking 80 a day when he decided to quit. The next day he quit, and never smoked again (until, in old age with dementia creeping up on him, he bizarrely took it up again, though he'd only smoke three or four a day then).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for my father, the biggest issue with giving up was he couldn't relax if he didn't have cigarettes on hand; he didn't need to smoke them, just felt he needed to go out and buy some. so he smoked his last packet down to about 7 cigarettes, and wrapped it up in about 20 layers of sellotape and stuck it in his jacket pocket, and that was that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Club spin foul weather, half the group turned back after 30k.
    Only a photo can do it justice.

402483.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/785958768

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Does your club not have a mudguard rule, or were you drafting tractors? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does your club not have a mudguard rule

There was talk of introducing the rule after today but probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Due to time restraints today, did a short spin from Kilnamanagh to Blessington,
    41km , Avg was 25.6 kph. Left just before 9, roads were fine, but closer to Blessington they were very bad , Muck and what seemed like lime , glad it was a solo spin, but bike was still filthy when I got back home.
    Seemed like the tops of mountains were still white. Also noticed that the car park of the cattle Mart was pure white with frost where it was still in the shade. Was thinking that a lot of the back roads might have been frosty in patches.
    Saw a fair few crews on the way out as I was on way back. Red and black jersey... a leinster blue jersey and the biggest crew had a mainly purple jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does your club not have a mudguard rule...
    Don't mention the war!

(It's a bit frustrating all the same when there is a rule but it's continually ignored by a few and there seems to be no consequences. :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Don't mention the war!

(It's a bit frustrating all the same when there is a rule but it's continually ignored by a few and there seems to be no consequences. :()

Feel the pain have a few in our club like that and no matter how much it's said they don't give a ****e about others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

NBar wrote: »
    Feel the pain have a few in our club like that and no matter how much it's said they don't give a ****e about others

Why not have a few strikes and you're out policy, or send a group of people who don't have mudguards off separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why not have a few strikes and you're out policy, or send a group of people who don't have mudguards off separately.

Small enough groups but a few who got mudguards after been told got covered in dirt today by the non complying ones so the pressure will be on and yes its something that has to be done but soo few willing to enforce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

That photo tuxy is the best argument for enforcing a mudguard rule on winter group spins that I have seen. Not surprised that half your group turned back. Full length mudguards too and not these http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/fenders/BFD-21R "greedy bastards" that protect the riders back but direct all the muck at anyone behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

No cycle working all weekend (unusual normally get away without having too much work at the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

42km of a hangover cure today. South Bull Wall, Irishtown Park, the beach, the West Pier and back home up Mount Merrion. Beaut of a day out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/787328272

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

No spin today, had a very late night, took bike out , had a puncture, or a slow one, couldnt be a arsed... put bike back into garage.

115km on the Fatbike. Up the Dodder and a few loops of the reservoir, then up the high road above the reservior and that ouch of a climb up to Black Hill. Up and around the fireroad and a few more laps of the reservoir. Home via Cunard and out to Bullock Harbour.

Absolutely shattered!

https://www.strava.com/activities/788172343

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Managed to squeeze in 25km on the MTB this morning around the back roads near my home. It was such a pleasure as it was so mild and calm and with the 65,000 gears on the MTB (ok its only 30 but its soooo many) back roads and hills are a pleasure regardless of the poor surface on many of them. Methinks the road bike will be having a long winter hiatus and the mountain bike will be predominantly used.

25.2km @ 19.1kmph (385m total climbing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Took a fall on this mornings commute, brain not fully engaged so by the time I registered that I couldn't get past the traffic it was too late to put my foot down :rolleyes: thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride! Beautiful morning though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Took a fall on this mornings commute, brain not fully engaged so by the time I registered that I couldn't get past the traffic it was too late to put my foot down :rolleyes: thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride! Beautiful morning though :)

glad youre ok - it was a frosty foggy morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 40km today and yesterday. I think yesterday was colder but I saw more frost about the place today.

Plenty of bike ninjas out this morning. Was coming up to Vincents hospital when two idiots came out of a side street looking to take the left at the Tesco before Vincents. Saw the first idiot but was enough ahead of me to avoid him no problem but the second idiot came out of no where and I'd say missed her by millimeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

A nice 35K on Monday with only 20K yesterday. After only a month back on a bike since i was a kid i decided to try head up by bohernabreena but the ascent completely broke me.

Only checked when i got home what the gradient was and found out it was 13%:eek:. A bit too advanced for me at this stage but it has now become my Everest. Will go back in a couple of weeks with a few more Ks on the legs for try number 2:D.

https://www.strava.com/activities/788570113

https://www.strava.com/activities/787749938

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

A nice 35K on Monday with only 20K yesterday. After only a month back on a bike since i was a kid i decided to try head up by bohernabreena but the ascent completely broke me.

Only checked when i got home what the gradient was and found out it was 13%:eek:. A bit too advanced for me at this stage but it has now become my Everest. Will go back in a couple of weeks with a few more Ks on the legs for try number 2:D.

https://www.strava.com/activities/788570113

https://www.strava.com/activities/787749938

Just around the corner, Ballinascorney was my "Nemesis" for quite awhile! Well done all the same. I hope you enjoy being back on the bike as much as I and a lot of other here do.

Having looked at your Strava you might not have your "Privacy" Zone set, which is handy to have set. If you have... ignore the following!

On A PC (Not phone) Top right, hover over your icon pic and choose "Settings" from the drop down menu. Then on the new screen, left hand side choose "Privacy" Type in your address, Select the Radius of the zone and then "Create"

Unfortunately Strava has yet to make a "map" version, where you can navigate the map and choose the centre of the zone and "create"
    P_1 wrote: »
    115km on the Fatbike. Up the Dodder and a few loops of the reservoir, then up the high road above the reservior and that ouch of a climb up to Black Hill. Up and around the fireroad and a few more laps of the reservoir. Home via Cunard and out to Bullock Harbour.

Absolutely shattered!

https://www.strava.com/activities/788172343

Your two headed sheep pic is very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Just around the corner, Ballinascorney was my "Nemesis" for quite awhile! Well done all the same. I hope you enjoy being back on the bike as much as I and a lot of other here do.

Having looked at your Strava you might not have your "Privacy" Zone set, which is handy to have set. If you have... ignore the following!

On A PC (Not phone) Top right, hover over your icon pic and choose "Settings" from the drop down menu. Then on the new screen, left hand side choose "Privacy" Type in your address, Select the Radius of the zone and then "Create"

Unfortunately Strava has yet to make a "map" version, where you can navigate the map and choose the centre of the zone and "create

Just set up my privacy zone there, thanks for the info;). I was wondering was there a system like that the other day as i was essentially giving anyone the location to my bike :confused:.

Great to be back on the bike for the fitness side of things as running was taking its toll on the knees at this stage, not to mention you get to go and see places you might normally never visit:).

Thanks! Was a bit of a surprise bumping into them. They got through a gap in the fence somewhere. Ran into a farmer mending said fence and driving them back down the lane on the return laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Eh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

40km on Zwoft this morning. Its so life like. Even got a puncture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Trekker09

godtabh wrote: »
    40km on Zwoft this morning. Its so life like. Even got a puncture!

Aye, but did the other riders observe the mudguard rule :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

Bloggsie wrote: »
    on the commute home yesterday, I saw the most reckless behaviour from a cyclist. Between the henry street/o'connell street junctions and also on parnell square-street she broke almost every red light narrowly missing pedistrians and just avoided being milled by an aircoach. I pulled up beside her and tried to engage her, I must have been wearing my cloak of invisibility cos she just ignored me and broke another light and headed on her way.

ohh and just to lob a grenade in, she was wearing headphones!!!

This is not an isolated case. Those people are all over the country. They tend to cause more accidents than they are directly involved in. There should be some proper way to report people like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement